• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL draft diary: Matt Kalil says diet plan makes difference - NFL - Sporting News

The food I’m eating is high quality and doesn’t have a lot of fat. When you’re taking in those fatty foods, it doesn’t allow your muscles to recover as fast and doesn’t allow for proper muscle growth. I’ve noticed a big difference. I’ve gained about 15 pounds, but I’ve also lost body fat while gaining weight. It’s a healthy weight gain.

15 pounds and losing body fat? jeez i wonder what he's been doing...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like both of those guys a lot, but the best TE in this draft is the guy from Clemson. I think he's going to be pretty special. I'd be very happy with him at 30 with all the 2 TE sets the Niners have.

dwayne allen. someone i've really liked. vernon can stretch the d and allen can work the middle of the field.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I like both of those guys a lot, but the best TE in this draft is the guy from Clemson. I think he's going to be pretty special. I'd be very happy with him at 30 with all the 2 TE sets the Niners have.

What make's you like Allen best? He seems like a better blocker/more well rounded than Fleener or Charles, but less prone to big plays. Admittedly, the few times I watched Clemson, my attention was on Sammy Watkins.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What make's you like Allen best? He seems like a better blocker/more well rounded than Fleener or Charles, but less prone to big plays. Admittedly, the few times I watched Clemson, my attention was on Sammy Watkins.

You're right. Charles/Fleener > Allen.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this response was interesting from Courtney Upshaw from his interview with Scott Wright:

Scott Wright: The Crimson Tide obviously had a ton of talent. If you could choose just one former teammate to build an NFL team around, who would you pick and why?

Courtney Upshaw: Josh Chapman. He's a guy nobody talks about much, but without him inside plugging gaps for the inside backers like Dont'a and Nico and all those guys... We really wanted to be the #1 run stopping defense this year and that guy is just phenomenal. He doesn't ask for all the praise so if I could take anybody it would be him

I think that speaks volumes. Upshaw played with a lot of talent at Alabama, and he choses Josh Chapman.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I like all three of these guys. However I'd rank 'em:

1. Allen
2. Fleener
3. Charles

Charles has great potential and straight ahead speed. I just think Allen runs with better balance & changes direction better. And Allen is EASILY a better blocker than Charles IMO. I love what people say about Allen's work eithic & mentality. He just seems like the kind of guy who's just itching to do the dirty work. Also, Fleener & Charles both had future NFL starter QBs.

I really like Fleener's size which will really help him in the red zone. Fleener's a willing blocker too. I'd love to get him in a Niners' uniform. I just think Allen adds a different dimention; he's a better athlete than Fleener. I think after 2 years in the pro's Allen will be not only a better blocker but a more dangerous receiver.

Now if the Niners draft any of these guys he won't look like a great draft pick because of Vernon. But I would be THRILLED to get Allen on the Niners. Fleener? I'd rather have one of the CBs or Rueben Randle.

Keep in mind I'm not knocking any one of these guys. I just like Allen the best.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fleener is more like a slot wr. allen is more like a traditional te and would work great in our offense. he can basically line up anywhere much like vernon can.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this response was interesting from Courtney Upshaw from his interview with Scott Wright:

I think that speaks volumes. Upshaw played with a lot of talent at Alabama, and he choses Josh Chapman.

You know what was a trip? I can't remember who it was that posted the link that explained that Chapman had that above average season the year playing most of the season with a torn acl.

He's a guy that will make some 3-4 team happy later, probably not us though, Fangio likes more of a penetrating, able to sack the qb type of NT.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Another player who's really growing on me is Dre Kirkpatrick. His arrest probably hurt his stock, but otherwise there was no way he would've lasted 'til 30. Now it's a possibility.

I don't think he'll be there, but I'd be extremely happy if he is. I think the 49ers played a lot of zone coverage; Dre would do great in zone coevrage IMO. He's very quick to react & adapt. In no particular order:

Konz, Kirkpatrick, Dwayne Allen, Glenn, Nick Perry, and maybe Poe are guys I like at 30. Poe is the biggest question mark. Kendal Wright might be a guy I like there, but the combine will make or break his stock IMO.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it be wise to invest a #1 into the TE spot this year?

absolutely. if the right player is there we can use another talent at TE, especially given how harbaugh likes to run the offense.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No, it would be idiotic. We already have two TEs that create mismatch problems for defenses, why do we need a 3rd? Unless we're talking about a 3rd day TE there shouldn't even be a mention in the draftroom

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We already have two TEs that create mismatch problems for defenses, why do we need a 3rd?

They don't have 2 TEs who cause mismatch problems. When Walker and Vernon are on the field a defense can simply put a safety on Walker. They can't do that with Vernon because if it's a running play Vernon will manhandle most safeties, so defenses have to put a LB on him with help over the top. Walker will not manhandle most safetes.

A TE like Allen would open up both the running game and the passing game. If Allen is the best player on the board I'd be very happy with selecting him. And even if they did select him I'd be open to the prospect of converting a big DE or a small OT to TE to fill a mostly blocking but open to the possibility of passing role.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They don't have 2 TEs who cause mismatch problems. When Walker and Vernon are on the field a defense can simply put a safety on Walker. They can't do that with Vernon because if it's a running play Vernon will manhandle most safeties, so defenses have to put a LB on him with help over the top. Walker will not manhandle most safetes.

A TE like Allen would open up both the running game and the passing game. If Allen is the best player on the board I'd be very happy with selecting him. And even if they did select him I'd be open to the prospect of converting a big DE or a small OT to TE to fill a mostly blocking but open to the possibility of passing role.

If you have to put a safety on a team's 2nd string TE then he is creating mismatch problems for the LBs.

And in response to the part in bold:
Man, if Baalke begins regressing back to the McC Era of thinking we're in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If you have to put a safety on a team's 2nd string TE then he is creating mismatch problems for the LBs..

If you put a safety on Walker the safety essentially is playing LB. So basically a defense could play a nickel defense unless it's a short yardage situation because Walker isn't a good blocker. You hear 2 TE set and you think run, but the run only works if the 2 TEs can block well.

If a more rounded TE like Allen were on the team the QB could simply call an audible if a safety is on him because Allen would probably have a great chance of taking him out.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd rather upgrade delanie to someone a bit more useful. dwayne allen would be an upgrade.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it would be idiotic. We already have two TEs that create mismatch problems for defenses, why do we need a 3rd? Unless we're talking about a 3rd day TE there shouldn't even be a mention in the draftroom

We need playmakers on Offense. Watching Stanford shred VaTech with multiple TE's in Harbaugh's offense was a thing of beauty. If Fleener, Charles or Allen are BPA I have no issue picking one of those guys at 30. Any of those guys are better than Delanie, imo.

And I know they are different schemes, but watching how the Pats used Gronkowski and Hernandez makes the idea even more appealing. We need weapons. Period.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I'm not a fan of Delanie Walker, but not I'm spending a 1st round pick on a fucking #2 TE.

Unless it's Gronk Nation.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need playmakers on Offense. Watching Stanford shred VaTech with multiple TE's in Harbaugh's offense was a thing of beauty. If Fleener, Charles or Allen are BPA I have no issue picking one of those guys at 30. Any of those guys are better than Delanie, imo.

And I know they are different schemes, but watching how the Pats used Gronkowski and Hernandez makes the idea even more appealing. We need weapons. Period.

And which rounds were Gronk and Hernandez drafted in?

Status
Not open for further replies.