• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Mike Mayock likes Riley Rieff more than Matt Kalil. Wow.

I've actually been on the Rieff bandwagon all season until I realized there was no way he'd last 'til the Niners' pick. But better than Kalil? I think this a case of trying to get too cute and over-thinking the issue like when people had Chad Ward ranked ahead of Steve Hutchinson as the top guard in the class back in 2001. Anyone remember that?

Ward actually ended up on the Niners' roster after Jacksonville cut him if memory serves.

...People are apparently pretty high on Devon Still: as in they STILL think he's a top 10-15 player? Pfff!!

Or like when he had Gerald McCoy rated higher than Suh.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Really? You thought that was a prediction?

No; I know you were exaggerating...

What I meant to say is if he runs a 4.4 or faster would you think, purely based on talent, he's first round meterial or at least high 2nd?

Or like when he had Gerald McCoy rated higher than Suh.

Hey! Let's not hate on people who had McCoy BARELY ahead of Suh.

~blushing~

But I did change my mind after the combine. :)

Next year could be a make or break season for McCoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm starting to think Jerel Worthy might not be a great fit in a 3-4 defense. He could play in a 3-4, IMO, but I'm starting to think his style of play lends itself better to a 4-3.

Maybe Brandon Thompson too.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh yeah another player I forgot to mention is Michael Brockers. He's made a good impression on me & could end up being one of my favourites, but I'm not sure yet.

So my first imprssion of Brockers was a good one, but I watched a little more of him and I'm starting to change my mind. I don't like him anywhere near the 1st round. He has some potential at DT based on his size & strength, but he hasn't put it together at all. And I definitely don't like him at the 5 technique. Maybe if he got even bigger he could play NT, but I doubt it.

Not a fan.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm down. Let me know when/where.

I'll let you know when we are getting close.We actually filled in all the teams and went pretty deep into the late rounds last year.With all the extra football posters who came over I expect it to be that much better.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think Jerel Worthy might not be a great fit in a 3-4 defense. He could play in a 3-4, IMO, but I'm starting to think his style of play lends itself better to a 4-3.

Maybe Brandon Thompson too.

thompson should work well at end in our system. it's more of a 1 gap 3-4, so a guy like thompson who can get penetration should work well. our defensive line was perfect for that system, not so much in nolan's scheme.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So usually some of my favourite "bang-for-yer-buck" players are in the 2nd & 3rd rounds round (Greg Little, Calalias Campbell, Jimmy Graham, etc). But the way it's shaping up the 2nd & 3rd rounds is looking pretty underwhelming to me. There could be some surprisng CBs, but not a lot catches my eye.

So as weird as this sounds I might be in favour of the Niners trading UP for Peter Konz if it's necessaary to do so. He's one of the only realistic players who almost assuredly would improve the team almost immediately IMO. I hope the C position get more or less ignored on draft day.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chandler Jones Sack-Fest against WVU - YouTube
Chandler Jones (freshmen highlights) - YouTube
Chandler Jones sack against UConn - YouTube
Chandler Jones Interception against Pitt - YouTube

I know it was only a few plays, just look at the stature though. Now listen to the background, he's the younger brother of Jon "Bones" Jones, as well as the younger brother of Arthur Jones (Ravens de), he's 6'5 265 lbs and is built like Aldon Smith.

He sat out 5 games this season due to injury. He's fine now and should be our pick to replace Brooks and pair with Aldon.

Aldon's participation in the martial arts really helped him use his hands on the pass rush, the same goes for Jones (who's brother happens to be a UFC champion). The strength, his understanding of leverage and leadership will probably be the selling point. I haven't heard anyone talk about him, which get's me really excited about him as a prospect. It's the same thing that happened with Aldon Smith.

Chandler Jones scouting report | NFL Draft Blog – DraftAce.com

He might be my new favorite prospect at pick #30.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm on board for this simply so our two OLB can be named "Smith" and "Jones." Can it get much more generic with English names than that?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd rather brown than jones. i dont think jones will produce as a pass rusher, he didn't in college. 10 sacks is kinda blah. i really think he shoulda went back to school. a big year could have helped his draft position

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QB class could be getting deeper
January, 20, 2012
By Steve Muench

The practice week leading up to the East-West Shrine Game has given us a better look at many under-the-radar NFL prospects, but we've also spent our evenings breaking down tape on plenty of other players, including our first in-depth study of some underclassmen.

After watching an entire game on each prospect as a group to get an overall feel for his game, we each take specific players and study more film before writing complete reports. We'll continue digging into the tape over the next few weeks, but here are some initial impressions from our early work.

The players below -- including a big-name quarterback and a trio of intriguing defensive ends -- could rise or fall as the evaluation process progresses, but all have caught our eye at this point.

Size and a unique delivery do not appear to be big concerns for Brock Osweiler.
Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler
Osweiler is one of the more interesting players we've seen over the past few days. He is every bit of 6-foot-8, and while there are always concerns about how well tall, gangly quarterbacks move their feet, Osweiler appears to be the exception to the rule.

He is a good athlete who chose the Sun Devils over an offer to play basketball at Gonzaga, and Osweiler shows the ability to buy time in the pocket and even pick up yards with his legs when given the opportunity. He'll never have the elite pocket mobility of a quarterback like Drew Brees, but given his frame and above-average athleticism, Osweiler is good enough in that area.

Taller quarterbacks naturally have longer deliveries, as well, and while Osweiler's accuracy will be affected at times by over-striding, he has a unique release that gets good results. He has a unique release that reminds you a bit of Philip Rivers, but because his arm is strong he can get away with looking a bit like a dart-thrower. Osweiler can be accurate when his lower body is sound, puts enough zip on the ball to fit it into tight spots, and he can vary his launch points to account for hands in passing windows and the positioning of defenders in coverage.

We still have concerns about his ability to get past his second read and avoid forcing the ball when nothing is there, but based on what we've seen so far, Osweiler has the tools to compete with the likes of Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M) and Nick Foles (Arizona) to be the No. 3 quarterback on the board and get into the back end of the first round.

Syracuse DE Chandler Jones
We watched Jones last year and felt he was bit of a 'tweener, but too slow to be a quality defensive end and not athletic enough to be an outside linebacker. However, he has added 15 to 20 pounds of good weight since then and now looks like a legitimate end prospect.

The added bulk has not taken away his good initial quickness, but the most impressive thing we've seen on film is his flexibility. He was seen at one point taking a hand to the face, having his torso bent back and still being able to pursue the passer. Jones also shows good ability to bend inside when coming off the edge, and based on initial impressions, he's going to be squarely in the Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) range.

Boise State DE Tyrone Crawford
Crawford is taking part in the Shrine game, and while he hasn't had a big week, we have been impressed with the film we've watched.

His quickness is slightly above average, and Crawford (6-4, 285 pounds) shows the potential to become a starting left end in a 4-3 front or a 5-technique (DE) in a 3-4 scheme. However, it's his power that stands out most.

We saw him on tape post a Tulsa offensive tackle with his right arm, drive him into the backfield, then discard him before diving into the quarterback. Crawford has the upper-body power to hold off blockers with one hand while using the other to disrupt passing windows or grab ball carriers.

He also can track the quarterback while engaging blockers, shows good discipline in terms of playing gaps and staying home against misdirection, and while he plays with a good motor, Crawford knows when to back off quarterbacks to avoid risking penalties. Crawford isn't an elite athlete, but he certainly appears to have the potential to join Jones as a Day 2 pick.

Toledo WR Eric Page
Page doesn't have elite size (5-10, 193), but he has the quickness, fluidity and change-of-direction skills to separate from coverage and make plays after the catch. He also contributes as a kickoff returner, where his ability to shake defenders in space without losing momentum is an asset.

His top-end speed is questionable and he needs to be more consistent snatching the ball away from his body with his hands, but Page does flash the ability to make tough catches. Throw in is ball skills and vision, and Page could offer good value early on Day 3 as a versatile slot receiver and return man.

Troy DE Jonathan Massaquoi
We often saw Massaquoi dropping into coverage a lot early on the film we studied, and while he's a decent athlete, that is clearly not his strength. However, once we saw him attacking upfield, his potential began to show through.

Massaquoi flashes natural instincts in terms of hand use, pushing tackles outside when he feels them overcommitting in that direction or knocking their hands down and getting under their outside shoulder when they are too far inside. He also has above-average initial quickness, and Arkansas was forced to commit two blockers to Massaquoi after he started wreaking havoc on QB Tyler Wilson.

Massaquoi has to get stronger against the run, though, and he appears to lack instincts when trying to locate the ball. He's also 24 years old after coming to the Trojans out of junior college, so his upside is not through the roof. Still, Massaquoi could be an intriguing mid-round option as a developmental project.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins has a 74 1/4 inch wingspan (Equivalent of 6'2 and 1/4th) Keeping Jenkins as my #1 guy.

But this Ryan Steed has a 78 1/8 wingspan Edit: I'm going to remain skeptical on Steed. Interesting 3rd round guy

I'm just curious to know why spend a 1st round pick on a cb when we'll probably re sign Rodgers, Brown played well this season and he should be better next season as the full time starter, plus we have Culliver playing well so soon? Do you really think that any of these late 1st cb's will play better than any of those 3 cb's?

Not challenging your opinion, just curious to know.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just curious to know why spend a 1st round pick on a cb when we'll probably re sign Rodgers, Brown played well this season and he should be better next season as the full time starter, plus we have Culliver playing well so soon? Do you really think that any of these late 1st cb's will play better than any of those 3 cb's?

Not challenging your opinion, just curious to know.

Yes, I think Janoris Jenkins is good enough right now to trump both Culliver and Brown. Any time the 49ers played a strong passing offenses last year (even with arguably the best front seven in football) they were able to get yards at will, with the exception of the Lions.

I don't feel confident that Tarell Brown can play this well again next year. Just take a look at his career, he hasn't been a good CB until the latter half of this year.

Assuming the 49ers do re-sign Rogers, do we expect the same kind of year from him(his age will be 31 next year)? I say give Rogers a short term 2 yr / 12mil deal. He's proven he plays well under the pressure of a contract.

Culliver should develop and continue to get better. In my fantasy the future is Cully and Jenkins as our starters at CB.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I think Janoris Jenkins is good enough right now to trump both Culliver and Brown. Any time the 49ers played a strong passing offenses last year (even with arguably the best front seven in football) they were able to get yards at will, with the exception of the Lions.

I don't feel confident that Tarell Brown can play this well again next year. Just take a look at his career, he hasn't been a good CB until the latter half of this year.

Assuming the 49ers do re-sign Rogers, do we expect the same kind of year from him(his age will be 31 next year)? I say give Rogers a short term 2 yr / 12mil deal. He's proven he plays well under the pressure of a contract.

Culliver should develop and continue to get better. In my fantasy the future is Cully and Jenkins as our starters at CB.

Brown has never been a starter either. I've always thought that he was pretty good in the nickle situations that he's been in before now.

I'd rather us look to next season's class for cb's if we were interested, this season's will be a waste. Next season we'd probably have to trade up but you'll have Jonathon Banks, Xavier Rhodes, David Amerson (probably the best), plus whoever else breaks out has me more intrigued with next season's 1st round cb's than this season's.

I think any cb this season would be a wasted pick. O line seems to hold the most value, especially with Smith at qb. He'll get that extra time to make that extra read, or that extra time to let the wr's make another move to get open.

Cordy Glenn or Kelechi Osemele are my new hopes at #30, in that order. Having Iupati and either one of these guys at guard, along with a much improved Davis at t will allow that running game to flourish. Ball control is vital to this team.

And let me add real quick, Rodgers has always played well, just his pick numbers have never been what they were this season.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be alright with the haul from the most recent Walter Mock:

30. San Francisco 49ers: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
San Francisco's offensive performance in the NFC Championship made it pretty apparent that help is needed at wideout. If the 49ers don't sign a receiver, they'll take one early in the 2012 NFL Draft.

By the way, I don't have Alshon Jeffery "falling" to No. 30 or anything. His stock has legitimately dropped because of his speed concerns.

62. San Francisco 49ers: Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech
It doesn't appear as though the 49ers will be able to re-sign Carlos Rogers. If that's the case, it'll open up a need at cornerback. Jayron Hosley is a bit of a steal this late in the second round.

93. San Francisco 49ers: Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
San Francisco's run blocking improved when Adam Snyder replaced Chilo Rachal at right guard. However, Snyder is still a liability in pass protection, and both players will be free agents in March anyway. The 49ers need to improve the interior of their offensive line.

125. San Francisco 49ers: Kheeston Randall, DE/DT, Texas
Defensive ends Justin Smith and Ray McDonald have been amazing this year for the 49ers. This pick is more for depth and future purposes. Smith will be 33 at the beginning of next year, so San Francisco could stand to have a fall-back option in the event of a major decline for Smith.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I didn't see a lot of Rutgers FB this season, but I'm starting come around with Clyde's boy Sanu.

This WR class is pretty underwhelming. Blackmon is the top guy for most people, but I don't think he's all that much better than the other guys. Wright could move up if he runs blazing fast at the combine, but Sanu looks like he was the fewest weaknesses in his game / character. Safer than Floyd 'cause Floyd acted like a dope in college, and he looks a liittle more athletic. Obviously he's bigger & stronger than Wright. And one of the most important aspect: he looks like a pretty willing blocker. That's huge in Harbaugh's offense.

I'd have to see more of him, but I might like Sanu as much as I did Greg Little last year (possibly even more depending on the combine).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Random topic:

Dre Kirkpatrick VS Prince Amakamura - whom would you rather have?

I gotta go with Dre. I was never a huge fan of the Fresh Prince.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
prince would do great in our secondary. i'm expecting a big year from him next season, he got slowed down this year with injuries

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Amukamara over Kirkpatrick any day of the week. I don't even think Kirkpatrick was the best CB prospect on his team this season. Dee Milliner next year will be much, much better, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.