• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I didn't see a lot of Rutgers FB this season, but I'm starting come around with Clyde's boy Sanu.

This WR class is pretty underwhelming. Blackmon is the top guy for most people, but I don't think he's all that much better than the other guys. Wright could move up if he runs blazing fast at the combine, but Sanu looks like he was the fewest weaknesses in his game / character. Safer than Floyd 'cause Floyd acted like a dope in college, and he looks a liittle more athletic. Obviously he's bigger & stronger than Wright. And one of the most important aspect: he looks like a pretty willing blocker. That's huge in Harbaugh's offense.

I'd have to see more of him, but I might like Sanu as much as I did Greg Little last year (possibly even more depending on the combine).

Sanu's hands and catching radius excite me.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and that sounds pretty gay. My bad.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
deep as in 2nd/3rd round talent. to me that's not even close to being the deepest wr class

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
'09 was deeper too IMO. 2001 easily. One could make a case for 2010 as well. Probably 2007.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So give me a draft class in the 21st century that was more talented.

there's basically 3 1st round talents, and 2 top 10 talents. this isn't a very deep class...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Random:

Here's a list of players (of whom they have a realistic shot at drafting) I think would instantaneously (or at least after a few games) upgrade a starting position on the 49ers. I'd be very happy with:

Konz, Glenn, Floyd, Perry, Decastro (not very likely, but possible), Wright, Sanu, Zeitler, Dwayne Allen (upgrade over Walker, not Vernon), Reuben Randle, Vinny Curry (over Haralson). Probably Melvin Ingram too, but I don't know yet; he might be a 4-3 guy.

Realistic favourite: Konz.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@Clyde

Last year's draft (2011) was very top heavy. I can see why from your point of view you thought it was deep. I remember you geeking over players like Jerrigan, Titus Young, and Greg Little - as for me - these players don't pop off the page.

@Sickness

2001 - I see your point there. Six WRs going in the 1st round is ridiculous.

2007 - A lot of WRs going early, but they're players with low ceilings like Anthony Gonzalez. Times are slowly changing; if Gonzalez the prospect was entered in this draft he would have a late 2nd round grade. I think we can assume DeVier Posey was a better player coming out of college than Gonzalez, and DeVier is being projected as a 3rd-4th round pick.
2010 - No

@Iguana

I'm not just considering the 1st round. If it makes it easier, consider the 1st 3 rounds and tell me this class isn't deep.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, my above list is pre-combine; I have a feeling after the Combine Nick Perry may be off my list because there won't be a realistic chance of him being there. He's a pretty exciting player IMO.

I like Clyde's guy Curry too. One statistic that has a good track record of translating from NCAA to the NFL is sack totals. But I still think Perry's a better prospect.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
2010 - No

Why not? Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn have only played 2 seasons, and they're looking pretty good (even though their QB and coaching staff was not). Emanuel Sanders is really starting to become a pain in the ass of opposing coaches.

Eric Decker has done pretty well with a RB throwing him the ball. Damian Williams had a decent year. Never was a big fan of Shippley or Lafell, but at least Lafell had a decent year & could develop into a threat.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why not? Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn have only played 2 seasons, and they're looking pretty good (even though their QB and coaching staff was not). Emanuel Sanders is really starting to become a pain in the ass of opposing coaches.

Eric Decker has done pretty well with a RB throwing him the ball. Damian Williams had a decent year. Never was a big fan of Shippley or Lafell, but at least Lafell had a decent year & could develop into a threat.

I liked Benn and Mike Williams coming out, but I saw Decker, Damian Williams, and Shippley as safe players with low ceilings. I thought/think Lafell will eventually drop his way to 4th string.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fair enough; like I said a case could be made, but by the time the combine rolls around I may like 2012 more than 2010 (WRs).

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about 2009? Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, and Hakeem Nicks all went in the first.

Brian Robiskie, Mohamed Massaquoi, Derrick Williams, Brandon Tate, Mike Wallace, Ramses Barden, and Deon Butler went in the 2nd/3rd.

After that you still had guys like Brian Hartline, Mike Thomas, Louis Murphy, Austin Collie, Johnny Knox, Julian Edelman, Sammie Straughter, and Tiquan Underwood.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year's draft (2011) was very top heavy. I can see why from your point of view you thought it was deep. I remember you geeking over players like Jerrigan, Titus Young, and Greg Little - as for me - these players don't pop off the page.

Yeah, generally speaking I thought much higher of last year's class (not just WRs) than most people. Even the top-10 people were talking about it being underwhelming, but we ended up seeing how much of an impact those players in their rookie seasons. How many drafts can you say that each team in the top-9 would keep all of the players they drafted in hindsight?

I liked guys like Titus Young, Jerrel Jernigan, and Greg Little. I also liked Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb.

You still had guys like Austin Pettis, Leonard Hankerson, Vincent Brown, Greg Salas, Denarius Moore, Tandon Doss, Doug Baldwin.

I'm taking 2011 over 2012 any day. I do find the 2012 draft class particularly underwhelming as a whole, though.

---

What about 2013? I like guys like Justin Hunter, Aaron Dobson, and Keenan Allen than most of the WRs this year.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What about 2009? Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, and Hakeem Nicks all went in the first.

Brian Robiskie, Mohamed Massaquoi, Derrick Williams, Brandon Tate, Mike Wallace, Ramses Barden, and Deon Butler went in the 2nd/3rd.

After that you still had guys like Brian Hartline, Mike Thomas, Louis Murphy, Austin Collie, Johnny Knox, Julian Edelman, Sammie Straughter, and Tiquan Underwood.

I don't think anyone including the Raiders saw DHB as a do it all receiver. Same goes for Jeremy Maclin. They weren't drafted to be true #1 WRs and to be drafted so high I thought both teams really undermined their pick value. The other three were you could make cases for at the time. In this year's draft you have Floyd, Sanu, Jeffery, Blackmon, and Jones up at the top by popular analysts, that are most likely going to be drafted to a team that sees them as a legit #1 WR.

Robiskie is this year's Toon. Safe and family ties in the NFL.

Derrick Williams and Brandon Tate were both drafted as return men.

Julian Edelman, the prospect, does not add depth to WR position. Too much hindsight.

AJ Jenkins and DeVier Posey, two guys that in last year's early mock drafts were going 1st/2nd round, now pushed back to possibly being 3rd day picks!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Clyde

@Sickness

2001 - I see your point there. Six WRs going in the 1st round is ridiculous.

2007 - A lot of WRs going early, but they're players with low ceilings like Anthony Gonzalez. Times are slowly changing; if Gonzalez the prospect was entered in this draft he would have a late 2nd round grade. I think we can assume DeVier Posey was a better player coming out of college than Gonzalez, and DeVier is being projected as a 3rd-4th round pick.
2010 - No

@Iguana

I'm not just considering the 1st round. If it makes it easier, consider the 1st 3 rounds and tell me this class isn't deep.

there's a lot of potential #2's, but i just dont think the prospect list is all that good. at first glance it looks deep, but at the end of the day it's just a lot of filler.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Q: What are the chances Washington moves up in the draft to the No. 2 spot to draft Robert Griffin III? What price would they need to pay in order to do this?

-- Jimmy (New Mexico)

A: Good question, Jimmy. It's hard to say the exact chances, but there's a chance. A lot will be defined by whether Washington can sign a free-agent quarterback such as Manning, Matt Flynn or Kyle Orton. If it cannot, the need to trade up for Griffin becomes even greater. But a team that loves Griffin -- be it Cleveland, Washington or Miami -- should make the jump to No. 2 to get him if it believes in him enough. I'd have to check the draft chart for trades, which I don't have handy, but I'm guessing for Washington to go from the sixth pick to the second is going to cost this year's and next year's first-round choices. If Washington or Miami can get to that spot for less than that, it should do it.
--Adam Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.