• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Buzz
January 17, 2012
Shrine Buzz: Unknowns stepping up
Scouts Inc.

Coaches and scouts like the all-star setting because it gives them a chance to see prospects in a different light. Everyone is adjusting to a new supporting cast and often a different scheme, and the various drills and one-on-one matchups create a more level playing field for judging players.

For the players, there are always those under-the-radar prospects who relish the chance to prove themselves against a higher level of competition, and this year's East-West Shrine game has seen five players seize the opportunity and step up their games.

Here's how they break down, in no particular order.

Shaun Prater is beginning to raise his stock. Iowa CB Shaun Prater
He has just average size (5-foot-10⅛, 185 pounds), but Prater has good speed and some quickness. His interception production tailed off late in his career as teams threw away from him, but he handles himself well in space and is rarely in a bad position. Prater knows how to read quarterbacks and read routes, anticipates well and has the body control to recover from the rare false step. He can also contribute in the return game, and Prater is giving himself a chance to get into the later portion of Day 2.

Coastal Carolina CB Josh Norman
There are some concerns about focus and attention to detail, but Norman (6-3, 203) looks the part and is expected to run in the 4.5-second range in the 40-yard dash. He moves well for a bigger corner, and has a good feel for the game for a small-school prospect. His fluidity and strength give Norman some versatility, and after entering the week with a free-agent grade it won't surprise me to hear his name in the midround conversation when all is said and done.

Iowa OT Markus Zusevics
He's limited athletically, but Zusevics shows good strength and technique at the point of attack. He was one of the most powerful offensive linemen on either roster today, and like so many other Iowa linemen who have played for head coach and line guru Kirk Ferentz, Zusevics is fundamentally sound. He knows how to re-sink his hips after initial contact, and can steer defenders while driving them back. Zusevics is boosting his late-round stock with his performance this week.

Western Kentucky RB Bobby Rainey
Not many people realize Rainey was second in the FBS in rushing yards per game (141.3) in 2011, and while he stands just 5-8, he weighs 208 pounds and is a tough inside runner. Defenders have a hard time locating him behind the offensive line, and that showed up during team goal-line drills today. Rainey also caught 36 passes last season and has experience returning kicks, and that kind of versatility could make him attractive as a valuable reserve in the later rounds.

Fresno State WR/RS Devon Wylie
Durability is an issue after a foot injury helped limit Wylie to just three catches in 2010, but after entering 2011 completely off the radar he finished the season with 56 receptions and showed some flashes as a playmaker. I've been encouraged by his ability to hold up against better competition this week, with Wylie using his speed and quickness well, and also adjusting to the ball effectively. He's also creative in space, and can use his body control to get himself out of confined areas and into the open field. He's something of a poor-man's Wes Welker, and as a slot receiver who can help out in the return game Wylie could come off the board early on Day 3.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shrine Game Stock Up

Michigan TE Kevin Koger
With his size (6-4¼, 262) and strength, Koger is the kind of prospect teams draft looking to develop into a solid No. 2 or 3 blocking tight end, and he looked the part on Day 2. Koger got after it as a drive blocker during the team period, staying low and creating good initial surge, then sustaining for the most part. And Koger also showed he can contribute as a short-to-intermediate receiver. He flashed enough speed to get down the seam, and even when Southern Miss LB Ronnie Thornton didn't allow him to separate Koger was able to fight Thornton off with his hands at the line, turn and box out, and make the catch. That's what Koger needs to do at the next level, and showing that ability could solidify him as a late-round prospect.
-- Steve Muench

Illinois WR A.J. Jenkins I liked the smoothness of Jenkins' routes, and he had good pop when transitioning out of breaks. He showed the versatility to work outside and in the slot, and Jenkins knows how to gain initial leverage before setting up routes and creating separation from defensive backs. While I would like to see him get a little stronger, Jenkins caught the ball more naturally and was good finding open areas. He turned some heads as he attempts to raise his grade out of the middle rounds.
-- Kevin Weidl

Shrine Game Stock Down

TCU OLB Tank Carder
It was a struggle from the jump for Carder on Day 2. He was beaten by Western Kentucky RB Bobby Rainey after guessing and trying to jump a route out of the backfield, and Carder even failed when he tried to grab Rainey and prevent him from getting downfield. Carder also failed to stack and shed blocks effectively, at one point choosing instead to lower his shoulder, bounce off the blocker and run around him to get to the ball carrier. He has to learn that it's better for the defense as a whole if he takes on the block, then either discards it and makes the play or allows teammates to flow to the ball. He also failed to show urgency when finishing drills and plays, and while it's easy to fall in love with Carder because of how well he runs, there are little things that must be cleaned up if he wants to move into the late-third-round area.
-- Steve Muench

Northern Illinois QB Chandler Harnish
The day started with Harnish missing the mark in drills against air, and he seemed to lack juice behind his passes all afternoon. He pushed the ball when trying to drive it downfield, and the throw he made on Trevin Wade's interception was a perfect example. Harnish was also late getting the ball out during the team period, and struggled to see the entire field and get through his progressions during 7-on-7 drills. Harnish might have the best overall tools of all the West team quarterbacks, but he'll need to pick it up if he hopes to get off the fringe of the seventh round.
-- Kevin Weidl

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've been keeping an eye out for what people say abuot Poe all season; I didn't get to see him in action though.

There was a lot of "physical specimen" buzz about him before the season like a project player. NT has become maybe the 2nd most important position on the team; if Poe is gone looks like Ta'amu will be the next best pure NT prospect in the draft. Maybe Josh Chapman...

There's a younger dude who plays for Utah who looks like a load, but I think he's going back to school.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been keeping an eye out for what people say abuot Poe all season; I didn't get to see him in action though.

There was a lot of "physical specimen" buzz about him before the season like a project player. NT has become maybe the 2nd most important position on the team; if Poe is gone looks like Ta'amu will be the next best pure NT prospect in the draft. Maybe Josh Chapman...

There's a younger dude who plays for Utah who looks like a load, but I think he's going back to school.

I'd like this guy as a project in round 7. He has the perfect build, needs to learn how to put it together.

Hebron Fangupo 2012 NFL Draft Scouting Reports -

Hebron Fangupo DT BYU Highlights - YouTube

If we could get him to play low, he could be a steal. Built like B.J. Raji, maybe more powerful.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure if any of you armchair GMs have heard, but Alex Smith just won an arguably career defining game versus the Saints last weekend. We GMs have been advocating that QB is at least one of the top three priorities going into this draft, now we have to find away to belittle Smith's victory as much as we can and propagate to the community why it still is. We nearly became the 2nd team to lose a game in which we had a plus four differential in takeaways(May need to double check this stat). Now if Smith wins this week with another phenomenal performance, we may have to have a private meeting about how Alex Smith just might be our 'guy'. Let me just say, even Mark Sanchez can put together a good playoffs, but it does not mean he deserves to be labeled a franchise QB, as Sanchez has shown he's no where even near.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well when smith has needed to step up he has. when sanchez needed to step up, he folded.

even if smith turns out to be our franchise qb we still need to develop guys. this draft doesn't look too promising, but we could pick up a back up to develop like moore

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if any of you armchair GMs have heard, but Alex Smith just won an arguably career defining game versus the Saints last weekend. We GMs have been advocating that QB is at least one of the top three priorities going into this draft, now we have to find away to belittle Smith's victory as much as we can and propagate to the community why it still is. We nearly became the 2nd team to lose a game in which we had a plus four differential in takeaways(May need to double check this stat). Now if Smith wins this week with another phenomenal performance, we may have to have a private meeting about how Alex Smith just might be our 'guy'. Let me just say, even Mark Sanchez can put together a good playoffs, but it does not mean he deserves to be labeled a franchise QB, as Sanchez has shown he's no where even near.

I never understood this once as people kept throwing it out there. We just traded up to the front of the 2nd round last season to select a qb with "potential" . What has CK done so bad that we need to forget about him and use another early selection on another qb? If Smith wasn't coming back I'd be all for bringing in a vet (at someone with some experience) for a healthy battle for the job, but not another qb early in the draft. We have plenty of holes to fill, and qb doesn't seem to be one of them. Smith can be decent at worst. Last week was really the only time he's had to win a game with his arm this season. The offense that we run isn't that hard for a qb to not lose the game. In my opinion Scott Tolzien is a near perfect qb for this offense. I think the staff will continue to develop the two young qb's behind Alex for the next 3 seasons, my the best man win.

Qb in this draft is out of the question. It would be a wasted pick. We need an olb, wr, return man, dline depth, oline depth, fs, 3rd down back, as well as special teams depth and possibly a te (I doubt that though until the following draft).

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never understood this once as people kept throwing it out there. We just traded up to the front of the 2nd round last season to select a qb with "potential" . What has CK done so bad that we need to forget about him and use another early selection on another qb? If Smith wasn't coming back I'd be all for bringing in a vet (at someone with some experience) for a healthy battle for the job, but not another qb early in the draft. We have plenty of holes to fill, and qb doesn't seem to be one of them. Smith can be decent at worst. Last week was really the only time he's had to win a game with his arm this season. The offense that we run isn't that hard for a qb to not lose the game. In my opinion Scott Tolzien is a near perfect qb for this offense. I think the staff will continue to develop the two young qb's behind Alex for the next 3 seasons, my the best man win.

Qb in this draft is out of the question. It would be a wasted pick. We need an olb, wr, return man, dline depth, oline depth, fs, 3rd down back, as well as special teams depth and possibly a te (I doubt that though until the following draft).

OLB - We have Brooks, Smith, and Haralson who have proved they're more than capable of holding their own, but if any one of those guys go down we're screwed. Brooks is also an FA next year.d Need depth + High Priority Position.

WR - Kyle Williams and Crabtree both took a step this year. (Davis and Walker being great receivers takes away the need for the 49ers to select a WR) In my opinion if we do select a WR it should be in the later rounds.

CB - Carlos Rogers due to be an FA next year. Chris Culliver has turned a lot of heads. I'm still suspicious of Tarell Brown. I think we need to address CB in one of the 1st two rounds. High Priority Position.

QB - The only season where there were flashes of Eliteness (49ers v Cowboys 1st half). Avoided turnovers all year long, stepped up in the clutch on two occasions thus far, but struggled in the redzone. I know I should give CK a chance, but I just don't like him as a prospect at all. Highest Priority Position.

OL - RG, C, and RT have seen their share of problems. I still think it's too early to give up on Anthony Davis (gave up only one less sack this year, but cut down on false starts and had 0 holding penalties). Medium Priority Positions.

Look down at my sig(though it needs updating). If no one is available, which there likely won't be, then don't force it.
v v
V

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLB - We have Brooks, Smith, and Haralson who have proved they're more than capable of holding their own, but if any one of those guys go down we're screwed. Brooks is also an FA next year.d Need depth + High Priority Position.

WR - Kyle Williams and Crabtree both took a step this year. (Davis and Walker being great receivers takes away the need for the 49ers to select a WR) In my opinion if we do select a WR it should be in the later rounds.

CB - Carlos Rogers due to be an FA next year. Chris Culliver has turned a lot of heads. I'm still suspicious of Tarell Brown. I think we need to address CB in one of the 1st two rounds. High Priority Position.

QB - The only season where there were flashes of Eliteness (49ers v Cowboys 1st half). Avoided turnovers all year long, stepped up in the clutch on two occasions thus far, but struggled in the redzone. I know I should give CK a chance, but I just don't like him as a prospect at all. Highest Priority Position.

OL - RG, C, and RT have seen their share of problems. I still think it's too early to give up on Anthony Davis (gave up only one less sack this year, but cut down on false starts and had 0 holding penalties). Medium Priority Positions.

Look down at my sig(though it needs updating). If no one is available, which there likely won't be, then don't force it.
v v
V

The bold parts are where I wanted to explain that Brooks is o.k. and can surely be upgraded for in the 1st or second for a cheaper price then he's going to demand this off season. PH isn't very good, simple as that. He'll be upgraded even later in the draft when he becomes a free agent.

The underlined parts are where I wanted to explain that your wrong. We know Alex isn't elite, neither is our offensive play calls. It's a very simple offense that most qb's can run. Again, we traded up to draft CK, obviously Harbaugh likes something in him. To tell you the truth, I think Harbaugh has more of a liking towards what Scott Tolzien brings to the table. With his accuracy, he would be stellar at least in this offense.

That brings me to the intialized. I don't think anybody is giving up on Davis, they would be crazy to. His sack numbers are a bit deceiving too, just because his numbers are inflated because of a couple of bad games where he gave up multiple sacks. If you look at his game by game he had a pretty good season.

I just want to touch on the wr comment real quick. I think everyone agrees that Kyle Williams is a dynamic slot wr, not a #2. Morgan is a free agent that is coming off of a broken leg. Why wouldn't you draft a wr in the 1st or the 2nd if it's in agreement that he's the best player available, who happens to be an upgrade at the position? Morgan hasn't quite lit it up over his career to make people not look at the wr position as a need position.

I would think round 1 will be between the best olb or wr available. Of course that is based on the assumption that Synder will be resigned, otherwise I would think rg has a chance in the 1st roud also. Tarrell Brown has had too good of a last half of the season (including playoffs) to think that one of the available rookies (when we pick) will have a bigger impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.