• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Senior Bowl week is one of my favorite weeks of the year. The opportunity to learn about kids I've never heard of, and fall in love with them, is priceless.

I don't know if Clyde was planning on starting a thread on it, or if it would just be kept up here, but some of the roster has been announced.

2012 Senior Bowl Roster

Fuller, sweet.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Tannehill and Nick Toon suffered injuries and won't be playing the senior bowl. Ryan Lindley will be Tannehill's replacement.

I really wanted to to watch Tannehill there. Bummer.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ryan Tannehill and Nick Toon suffered injuries and won't be playing the senior bowl. Ryan Lindley will be Tannehill's replacement.

I really wanted to to watch Tannehill there. Bummer.

Same here. Depending on his progression from now until the draft determines whether he's a 3rd or 1st rounder.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some talk of Tann being top 15. Hilarious.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I had to watch the highlights; yes Peter Konz did play in the Rose Bowl to answer my own question.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I had to watch the highlights; yes Peter Konz did play in the Rose Bowl to answer my own question.

this is the guy we need to move up for. from 32 to i think 24 to get ahead of the lions? he might go earlier but hopefully the injury scares some teams away from pulling the trigger

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Tannehill is a better prospect than Christian Ponder was IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
this is the guy we need to move up for. from 32 to i think 24 to get ahead of the lions? he might go earlier but hopefully the injury scares some teams away from pulling the trigger

I might be on board for that. C is a HUGE problem.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K Wright is getting possible top 10 love now. One team from the NFC playoffs has him rated #1 amongst WRs. He is drawing Carolina Steve Smith comparisons.

-from roto

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K Wright is getting possible top 10 love now. One team from the NFC playoffs has him rated #1 amongst WRs. He is drawing Carolina Steve Smith comparisons.

-from roto

That's crazy to me. Blackmon is the top WR in this draft and it's not even close. I hope that team is the St. Louis Rams.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's crazy to me. Blackmon is the top WR in this draft and it's not even close. I hope that team is the St. Louis Rams.

I actually hope Blackmon is a Ram. He's a very good WR, but he's manageable IMO.

I could see Wright developing into the better player one day. Makes some really sharp cuts.

The guy I really don't want 'em to select is Matt Kalil.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some talk of Tann being top 15. Hilarious.

It's very possibly, some teams are desparate for a quarterback and they will reach to find one.

I see the Seahawks being that team

I actually hope Blackmon is a Ram. He's a very good WR, but he's manageable IMO.

I could see Wright developing into the better player one day. Makes some really sharp cuts.

The guy I really don't want 'em to select is Matt Kalil.

The obvious choice for the Rams is Kalil, if they don't pick him they will be screwed because Sam Bradford will then become like David Carr.

Rams have a lot of needs, offensive lineman has to be at the top

they need recievers

they need corners, they had 10 on the injured reserve?? how does that even happen??? even the Bills haven't had 10 corners on the injured reserve, though I'm sure one day we'll eventually have 10 offensive tackles on the injured reserve.

Jdogg1sd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Several years ago, I (ASU Alum) suggested taking a late round fly with WR Kyle Williams.

This year....WR Gerell Robinson! The guy is STUD! 6'4" 222 lbs. Worthy of a late 2nd round pick in my eyes. Reminds me a lot of Marques Colston!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Buzz

Originally Published: January 16, 2012
Shrine Buzz: Mixed Bag On Day 1
Scouts Inc.

The first day of practice for the annual East-West Shrine Game offered differing experiences for a pair of quarterback prospects from the West Team.

Dan Persa's lack of size and arm strength limit his NFL potential.It was not a good start for Northwestern QB Dan Persa, who checked in at just 5-foot-11 and had issues seeing the entire field from within the pocket during the team period. Persa also struggled when asked to drive the ball downfield, failing to get air under it and allow his receivers to run under deeper passes.

His deep accuracy is just marginal as a result, though Persa did show decent arm strength and accuracy when able to wind up on short-to-intermediate throws. He remains a fringe prospect despite his mobility and ability to make some plays with his feet.

It was a better-than-expected day for Northern Illinois QB Chandler Harnish, though. He also lacks ideal height (6-1½) and throws with a bit of a three-quarters delivery, but Harnish got better as the day progressed and drilled the ball into some tight spots on a couple of occasions.

He also showed a natural ability to get through progressions in the pocket, and the late-round/free-agent prospect began helping himself on Day 1.

Notebook
• We talked about Notre Dame CB Robert Blanton as perhaps the top cover man in this game in our roster break down, but it was West Virginia CB Keith Tandy who looked best on the first day of practice. Tandy is a mid-rounder with decent burst, above-average recognition skills and the ability to limit production after the catch.

• Mississippi DE/OLB Kentrell Lockett has a slim build (6-5¼, 247 pounds) and looked tight at times, but he didn't back down from any challenges. Lockett played low and got the best of some offensive linemen, even finishing the one-on-one period by putting BYU OT Matt Reynolds flat on his back. Lockett is doing all he can to prove he's capable of holding up as a defensive end and move out of the later rounds.

• Boise State WR Tyler Shoemaker struggled to catch the ball cleanly early in drills, but he got open cleanly a few time during seven-on-seven drills and caught everything thrown his way.

• It was as different story for Arkansas WR Jarius Wright, though. He's by far the quickest, fastest receiver in and out of breaks, but he fought the ball all day. We've seen similar struggles before in all-star settings as receivers and quarterbacks acclimate to a new practice environment and to each other, so there's no rush to judgment just yet, but Wright needs to catch the ball better going forward.

• USC DT DaJohn Harris looked as good as expected on Day 1. Harris -- a potential second-round pick -- is strong up top and showed improved ability to get to the passer from the interior.

• Fellow Trojan Marc Tyler flashed the power in the lower half to be a solid short-yardage back, and he looks to have natural vision and some feel for cutback lanes. Tyler struggled to catch the ball with his right thumb heavily taped, and he doesn't have much lateral agility or juice in his cuts, but he could be a good value as a grinder who can pound out tough yards inside.

• Louisiana Tech RB Lennon Creer didn't flash much elusiveness, either, and he's a bit of an entry-level runner who needs a hole to be effective. However, once Creer sees a crease he can stick his foot in the ground and get upfield quickly. He won't make many yards on his own, but Creer's strength, size (5-11⅞, 213 pounds) and balance will be attractive to teams that utilize zone blocking schemes.

• The power of Missouri DT Dom Hamilton gave a lot of offensive linemen problems. Hamilton showed some quickness to explode into blockers, and he made it tough for them to get their hands on his body and sustain blocks.

Non-Seniors Dominating Board
Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

Seniors are stepping into the spotlight as the all-star circuit cranks up, but with the deadline for non-seniors to declare for the 2012 draft having passed over the weekend it's worth taking a look at how that group is shaping up.

Overall, 10 of the top 12 prospects in our latest rankings of the top 32 overall prospects, and the list includes a total of 19 non-seniors. Here's how things fell into place.

Top five non-seniors

Andrew Luck remains a slam dunk as the top overall pick in 2012.Stanford QB Andrew Luck

Luck came back for the 2011 season despite being the consensus No. 1 pick on the 2011 board, and expectations were sky high. Graduations and injuries limited his production somewhat, but Luck still has the skill set to be the top overall pick this time around. He's done nothing this season to hurt his stock.

USC OT Matt Kalil
Entering the draft was clearly the right call for Kalil. He is the most complete lineman on the board, yet he is continuing to get stronger and improve as an overall player. He should step in as a starter at left tackle from the moment he sets foot in training camp.

Baylor QB Robert Griffin III
The fastest-rising prospect in the entire class, Griffin improved his accuracy (especially on the deep ball) and consistency more than any quarterback in the nation in 2011. He is still working on his touch underneath, but with his rare combination of athleticism, speed and intelligence it's hard to imagine Griffin falling out of the top 10 overall picks.

Alabama RB Trent Richardson
His elite combination of size, speed and power is well-documented, but Richardson also was an improved blocker in 2011 and looked more comfortable flexing out to the slot and catching the ball. He also showed improved patience, making him the rare running back truly worthy of a high first-round pick.

LSU CB Morris Claiborne
He doesn't have the size or return ability of former teammate Patrick Peterson, but Claiborne is the best pure cover corner on the board. He has the length to match up against taller receivers, good body control, quick feet and fluid hips, and his ability to locate and play the ball in the air is what separates him from the rest of the class.

Underrated talents

LSU DT Michael Brockers
Many fans know Brockers is a good player, but we believe he has a chance to be a true difference-maker in the NFL. His pass-rush production is not eye-popping, but he can disrupt the passing game by collapsing the pocket from the inside, and Brockers shows awareness to get his hands up into passing lanes.

It's his dominance at the point of attack the sets Brockers apart, though. He has outstanding size (6-6, 306) and the upper-body power to keep blockers off his frame and hold his ground, and as he adds strength in the lower half to go with good feet, this third-year sophomore could become a top-10 NFL defensive tackle if he reaches his full potential. He's already the top defensive tackle on this year's board.

Temple RB Bernard Pierce
Pierce's running style reminds me a bit of Houston Texans RB Arian Foster, with Pierce showing a similar instincts and ability to plant his foot and accelerat through the hole. And like Foster, he comes with some durability concerns and questions about his top-end speed. We're not saying he'll turn into the next Arian Foster, but Pierce has the look of a good value pick around the third round.

Surprise departures

Oregon QB Darron Thomas
Thomas is simply not ready to play quarterback in the NFL. He has a long deliver and is erratic in terms of accuracy, and while Thomas is a good athlete he's doesn't have the kind of exceptional athleticism to change positions if needed.

It's unclear what prompted Thomas to make the jump, but whatever the reason he's no better than a late-round prospect at this point. I can't imagine a team taking a chance on him at any point before the fifth round.

LSU WR Russell Shepard
Shepard shows some good wiggle after the catch, but he is a body-catcher who struggles as a route-runner, and he wasn't even a starter for the Tigers in 2011. He's a good athlete with some upside and versatility, but Shepard needs a lot of work and will have a hard time cracking the first few rounds.

Surprise returns

USC QB Matt Barkley
Barkley played as well as any quarterback in the nation in 2011. His stock will never be higher than it was after a big finish to the season, and he could have been a top-five pick.

He will still be a very high pick if he stays healthy and continues to improve, but Barkley left a lot of money on the table and would have done well to strike while the iron was hot.

Wisconsin RB Montee Ball
Running backs have a short NFL shelf life to begin with, and Ball already has 536 carries in his three-year career. By returning to school he goes from a player with just average wear and tear on his body to one who will take a lot more pounding on his way to somewhere around 800 carries.

The bottom line is that Ball isn't going to get any bigger, faster or more explosive as a senior. Why not make the jump when you're already maxed out as an early third- or late second-round pick?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Notebook: Passing game big on Day 2
Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl
Scouts Inc.

Greg Childs has the physical tools to be a valuable addition.

• Arkansas WR Jarius Wright continues to perform on another level in terms of speed. His extra gear allowed him to blow by defensive backs and outrun the arms of his quarterbacks throughout the day, and he explodes out of cuts and is dangerous after the catch. However, Wright does not have natural hands and will double-catch the ball at times. Still, he appears to be solidly in the third-round range at this point.

Fellow Razorbacks wideout Greg Childs, on the other hand, showed the ball skills to snatch balls that are right on top of him. Childs is a bit heavy-footed, though, and there are concerns about his suddenness and top-end speed. You'd like to see a bit more explosiveness, but he has the frame (6-3⅛, 215) and ball skills to warrant a midround grade.

• Arizona CB Trevin Wade had a solid showing on Day 2. He showed some instincts and looked loose in the hips, flashing the ability to transition easily when changing direction. In addition, Wade made a nice play when caught in trail technique in one-on-one drills, turning to locate an underthrown ball and high-pointing it for the interception. His overall speed is a question, but Wade could help his late-round stock if he continues to make plays.

• It was a tough day for Virginia's Rodney Mcleod, who was an undersized (5-10, 185) safety in college but is trying to make the transition to cornerback as a draft prospect. Mcleod tackles well and has some closing burst, but he lacks instincts and anticipation outside the hashes. He's not a natural mover as a corner, either, lacking quick-twitch athleticism. He's stuck between positions, and as a result Mcleod is a fringe prospect.

• The West team running backs had an up-and-down day in the passing game. Western Kentucky's Bobby Rainey looked comfortable catching the ball, and he also showed the ability to deliver a hard chip to help the edge protection before releasing and making the grab. Lennon Creer of Louisiana Tech wasn't seen dropping a pass, though he did fight the ball more than Rainey. He has to be more confident snatching the ball. Finally, USC's Marc Tyler started strong by setting up his routes and showing crisp breaks at the top of his stem, but after catching the first pass thrown to him he had a handful of drops. It doesn't matter how open you get if you can't bring in the ball.

• Oregon TE David Paulson has to show better technique if he's going to develop as an isolation blocker. Paulson has a tendency to take an initial step back before moving forward, and as a result he's not generating the kind of power you're looking for when taking on linebackers in the hole. However, he's taking coaching well in that area and showing a willingness to mix things up, which should help him as he attempts to remain in the middle rounds.

• It was also an inconsistent day for a pair of linebacker prospects. Southern Miss OLB Ronnie Thornton got pushed around at times in coverage, and he has to improve his ability to keep blockers off his frame in the running game, but he did show the kind of speed and athleticism teams look for in a third-down linebacker. He grades in the late rounds right now.

Brandon Marshall of Nevada was a bit better than Thornton against the run, but he looked choppy and unsettled in coverage, struggling with footwork and fluidity. He hasn't yet looked comfortable, and has to turn it around to help his fringe stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.