• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How Barkley's decision hurts Dolphins
December, 22, 2011
By James Walker

USC's Matt Barkley, arguably the second-best quarterback prospect behind Stanford's Andrew Luck, decided to return to college for his senior year on Thursday. That was bad news for the Miami Dolphins, who certainly would have been a top target for Barkley in next April's NFL draft.

Miami's biggest priorities this offseason are finding a new coach and a long-term solution at quarterback. Barkley's return to school makes the latter search much more difficult.

There were expected to be four first-round quarterbacks in college this season. Luck will be long gone with the No. 1 overall pick. With Barkley's exit, that leaves Baylor's Robert Griffin III and Oklahoma's Landry Jones.

Miami currently holds the No. 8 overall pick and could lose out on Griffin -- who won this year's Heisman Trophy award. According to the latest mock draft by ESPN's Todd McShay, Griffin could go to the Washington Redskins at No. 7. I think the Cleveland Browns, who currently sit at No. 4, also are a possibility.

With no Luck, Barkley or Griffin, that would leave Jones as the only first-round option for Miami. Jones has a great arm. But he lacks mobility and, in my opinion, has the biggest bust potential of the four quarterbacks.

If Jones is the only quarterback choice in the first round, it will be interesting to see the Dolphins' draft strategy. Veteran quarterback Matt Moore has played solidly this season and is 5-5 as a starter.

Maybe Barkley's decision will force Miami to fill another need other than quarterback in the first round.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does anyone know Jared Crick's projected draft status? I liked him as a 3-4 DE prospect, but didn't think we had a shot at him. How bad did his injury (torn pec) hurt his status?

He's a senior, so he'll be in the draft. 3-4 DE is probably the perfect spot for him. I like him. I don't think he's an amazing prospect, but he looks good. I don't think the torn pec' is a big deal; that's not a very devastating injury.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know Jared Crick's projected draft status? I liked him as a 3-4 DE prospect, but didn't think we had a shot at him. How bad did his injury (torn pec) hurt his status?

Late 2nd/early 3rd right now.The combine could probably push him into a solid 2nd round grade.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as of this moment i'm hoping to move back into the 2nd. dwight jones and george bryan would be my dream scenerio for the 2nd round. if we can pick up a couple 3rds, brewster and jonas gray.

but jones and bryan might squeeze into the 1st. having guys that can actually catch the ball would be nice for a change. jonas gray imo will be the steal of the draft if he goes on day 2.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely not. I'm not dying to grab Tannehill. In fact, he's probably one of the lowest on the list. But I would consider him later on in the draft.

ah you were speaking generally not specifically towards the niners.

did Landry Jones commit or is he staying?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are four WRs in the Big-Ten that I feel can give us that redzone target that we hoped Braylon would be They go by the names of Damarlo Belcher, Derek "throw it to my boy" Moye, DeVier Posey, and Marvin McNutt.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ah you were speaking generally not specifically towards the niners.

did Landry Jones commit or is he staying?

No definitive word either way. Stoops did say that he has a gut feeling that Jones is coming back, though.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's one of the better mocks I've seen. I would live with that, but it depends if we sign Brooks or not. Toon in the bottom half of the second round is good value.

I'd rather see Melvin Ingram instead of Perry though in that situation. Ingram seems to get off the snap kind of slow, he still managed to get 9 sacks in each of the last two seasons in the SEC. I've never seen a 275 man move the way he moves. He's an absolute terror on defense. He's also versed in the 3-4
Melvin Ingram - 2011 Highlights - YouTube
Melvin Ingram vs Auburn - YouTube
vs
USC DE #8 Nick Perry Highlights 2010 - YouTube
I wouldn't be mad either way though. And I love Nick Toon, I think he can be Boldin type of player.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd rather see Melvin Ingram instead of Perry though in that situation. Ingram seems to get off the snap kind of slow, he still managed to get 9 sacks in each of the last two seasons in the SEC. I've never seen a 275 man move the way he moves. He's an absolute terror on defense. He's also versed in the 3-4
vs
I wouldn't be mad either way though. And I love Nick Toon, I think he can be Boldin type of player.

Ingram would be a good prospect. I've seen a lot of Lamar Woodley comparisons when it comes to Ingram. Honestly other than having similar size as Lamar Woodley, they're two different types of players. Woodley biggest weaknest (agility / athleticism) is Ingram's biggest strength for the position; and vice versa in that Ingram's biggest weakest (brute strength/power) is Woodley's biggest strength. Their motor is about the same, but at this stage I would have to give the advantage to Woodley. With regard to Perry, I am not enamored with him at all. Nor do I like Nick Toon all that much.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vinny curry seems like a better prospect and he'll most likely go after those guys. i haven't seen enough of curry tho

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are four WRs in the Big-Ten that I feel can give us that redzone target that we hoped Braylon would be They go by the names of Damarlo Belcher, Derek "throw it to my boy" Moye, DeVier Posey, and Marvin McNutt.

Yeah, Moye is someone i hope we can grab.... solid solid hands. McNutt is an interesting one, but not sure if fast enough. Posey is a burner though. Belcher cant remember him honestly.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No definitive word either way. Stoops did say that he has a gut feeling that Jones is coming back, though.

oh ok, that was the last i heard about him. Wasn't sure if i missed his actual decision and apparently there was no decision made lol.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vs

I think Melvin Ingram has become overrated because of the plays he made on special teams this year. He's a 4th round pick at this point.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Melvin Ingram has become overrated because of the plays he made on special teams this year. He's a 4th round pick at this point.

Either that or the way he moves. If he is a 4th round prospect right now, he won't be after the combine. If for some reason he falls to our 3rd round pick he'll be the steal of the draft. He'd be a definte upgrade over Brooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.