• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Kalil looks like a can't-miss prospect
December, 16, 2011
By Kevin Weidl

The decision by USC OT Matt Kalil to forego his senior season and enter the 2012 NFL draft is not surprising, and it's clearly the right decision. Kalil is far and away the top offensive tackle on the board and one of the can't-miss prospects in this year's class.

How good is he? Well, 2011 Dallas Cowboys first-round pick (No. 9 overall) Tyron Smith was an athletic freak coming out of USC, but he was forced to play his final two years with the Trojans on the right side because Kalil had the left tackle spot on lockdown.

Matt Kalil has the skill set and demeanor to become a franchise left tackle in the NFL.

Kalil (6-foot-7, 295 pounds) is a complete tackle. He takes good angles and shows a strong in-line power base as a run-blocker, using quickness and a strong punch to help move defenders off the ball. His balance is impressive, and Kalil excels in terms of angles and timing when releasing to the second level on combo blocks. Once he releases up, he has the ability to knock linebackers off the spot, and his ability to adjust in space allows him to plant defenders in the ground when pulling around the edge.

In the passing game, Kalil's combination of size and athleticism makes him a prototypical blindside protector. He has light, quick feet and bends naturally at the knees, and his balance allows him to mirror and slide with pass-rushers. He also shows good awareness for stunts and twists, and while Kalil will over-set and get caught lunging at times it's a minor flaw and one that can be corrected.

Kalil plays with a nasty demeanor and takes great pride in not backing down. While watching tape from his sophomore year, I was impressed with the way Kalil got after Arizona State ILB and possible 2011 first-round pick Vontaze Burfict, a physically gifted player with a reputation as a hothead.

Overall, Kalil has all the tools of a franchise left tackle in the NFL. He's a slam-dunk top-5 pick and appears ready to immediately join his brother, Carolina Panthers C Ryan Kalil, among the best offensive linemen in the league.

Is Barkley gone, too?
Kalil's departure from Los Angeles is fueling speculation that Trojans QB Matt Barkley will be the next USC underclassman to bolt for the next level, and if Barkley does leave he'll be making a smart decision, too.

Barkley doesn't have the elite physical tools of some other quarterbacks on the 2012 board, but no quarterback in the nation played better down the stretch, and his stock is as high right now as it will ever be. He has all the momentum in the world on his side, not to mention a pretty good overall skill set.

Barkley doesn't have the strongest arm, but that's an overrated area, anyway, and he did improve his timing and accuracy on the deep ball this season. His overall polish as a passer is most impressive. Barkley is very good at reading coverages and manipulating them with his eyes and with pump fakes, and no quarterback in college football is as good at getting deep into his progressions.

His poise and overall pocket presence are also very good. Barkley won't pick up a lot of yards with his legs when the play breaks down, but he is preternaturally calm in the pocket. He shuffles and maneuvers within the pocket easily, sliding into open passing windows and delivering the ball accurately with bodies flying around him. Barkley is also very good at recognizing the blitz and beating it with his arm.

He's a perfect fit in a West Coast offense that will allow him to use his timing, footwork and accuracy to get the ball out on time to his playmakers in space. Throw in his intangibles -- intelligence, leadership and maturity -- and Barkley is a first-round prospect with a chance to be an above-average starter at the next level.

Jones should return to OU
As Barkley and Baylor's Robert Griffin III have shot up the board, Oklahoma QB Landry Jones has been in a tailspin in recent weeks. I was impressed during preseason film study with Jones' overall accuracy, but he has taken a step back in 2011.

A detailed look at the Iowa State film from this season shows Jones missing behind receivers on crossing routes and failing to make routine throws on checkdowns. He's clearly been affected by the season-ending knee injury to WR Ryan Broyles, who was a sure-handed target who could separate from the slot and act as a security blanket for Jones. Over the final three games of the season without Broyles in the lineup, Jones threw five interceptions and not a single touchdown pass.

He has also appeared nervous in the pocket, failing to set his feet or point his body toward the intended target, and despite having the mobility to slide and buy time in the pocket, Jones has shown a lack of poise and has struggled when moved out of his spot in the pocket. All of that has affected his timing and decision-making, though it should be noted that Jones has gotten little help from the rest of the receiving corps since Broyles went down. Dropped balls have been an issue and likely play a role in his lack of confidence.

Jones still flashes the ability to make big-time NFL throws -- like tossing a frozen rope down the middle between three Cyclones defenders -- and his physical tools are impressive, but given his shaky confidence and the quick rise of other prospects Jones would do well to return to the Sooners for another year and possibly position himself as a top-15 overall pick in 2013.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
THE LIST COMPLETION

Jeff Tuel Washington State QB
Braxton Miller Ohio State QB (NFL: Athlete)

Damarlo Belcher Indiana WR
Martavious Odoms Michigan WR
Bennie Fowler Michigan State WR
Keshawn Martin Michigan State WR
Jamal Turner Nebraska WR
Jaxon Shipley Texas WR

Ronnie Hillman SDSU RB
Michael Hayes Houston RB
Matt Brown Temple RB
Ray Graham Pittsburg RB
Adonis Thomas Toledo RB
Fitzgerald Toussaint Michigan RB
Stefon Green Penn State RB

Delano Howell Stanford S (NFL: 4-3 OLB)

Anthony Johnson DT LSU

Greg Henderson Colorado CB
Daniel Simmons Washington State CB
Adrian Amos Penn State CB
Dayonne Nunley Ohio (Miami) CB

Players are not listed in any order. Some players have been taken off the list because I thought they became too known.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Matt Kalil looks like a can't-miss prospect
December, 16, 2011
By Kevin Weidl

I've agreed with this all year when there was a debate about who's the best tackle in NCAA...

Matt Kalil is one of those Non-QB prospesct who's like Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Ndomakong Suh and to a slightly lesser extent Marcel Dareus, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson Jake Long & Steve Hutchinson who, in my opinion, were about the safest picks in the last decade. There's usually only about one of those guys per year, and sometimes there aren't any. Whoever gets one of the top 2 picks this year is a Lucky team (pun intended). :)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of my favorite players I'd love to see in a 49ers uniform depending on round 1-4 and assuming they declare are, in no particular order:

Barrett Jones
Chance Warmack
Ronnie Hillman
Andre Ellington
Aaron Dobson
David DeCastro
T.Y. Hilton
Ryan Tannehill
Cordy Glenn
Lamar Miller

Vinny Curry
Courtney Upshaw
Audie Cole
Lavonte David
Chase Minnifield
Casey Heyward
Stephon Gilmore
Donnie Fletcher
Markelle Martin
Robert Lester

Everybody else is meh. Obviously the prospects out of reach are not included, and some of this can definitely change come April.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Some of my favorite players I'd love to see in a 49ers uniform depending on round 1-4 and assuming they declare are, in no particular order:

Barrett Jones
Chance Warmack
Ronnie Hillman
Andre Ellington
Aaron Dobson
David DeCastro
T.Y. Hilton
Ryan Tannehill
Cordy Glenn
Lamar Miller

Vinny Curry
Courtney Upshaw
Audie Cole
Lavonte David
Chase Minnifield
Casey Heyward
Stephon Gilmore
Donnie Fletcher
Markelle Martin
Robert Lester

Everybody else is meh. Obviously the prospects out of reach are not included, and some of this can definitely change come April.

Do you like Barrett Jones as an OG or an OT?

I know you're really high on Vinny Curry, but how would you cmopare Nick Perry to him? I like 'em both; and part of me is scheptical of USC pass rushers, but it seems like Perry has done it against better competition. Perry's also a little less lanky. I'll be interested to see both of their combine numbers...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Barrett Jones
Chance Warmack
Ronnie Hillman
Andre Ellington
Aaron Dobson
David DeCastro
T.Y. Hilton
Ryan Tannehill
Cordy Glenn
Lamar Miller

Vinny Curry
Courtney Upshaw
Audie Cole
Lavonte David
Chase Minnifield
Casey Heyward
Stephon Gilmore
Donnie Fletcher
Markelle Martin
Robert Lester

I didn't realize you were a Ryan Tannhill fan clyde. Where would you like us to grab him?

I would be ecstatic if we could snag DeCastro in the late first round. I'm usually not a fan of taking a OG in the first round, but as good of a talent as he is and knowing we are going to have a very late draft pick, that seems like a steal to me. Plus he already knows the offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think we should address the Defensive line sooner rather than later. I wouldn't mind us taking a a guy in rounds 1-4 if a good opportunity presents itself. Somebody needs to be groomed to replace Justin Smith eventually.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think we should address the Defensive line sooner rather than later. I wouldn't mind us taking a a guy in rounds 1-4 if a good opportunity presents itself. Somebody needs to be groomed to replace Justin Smith eventually.

I'm not sure if we have that luxury. We're going to have holes after this season. Neither Synder or Rachal will be back, Goldson probably won't be back, Braylon probably won't and I think Williams is more of a slot, we need a center for sure, we need a cb for sure and possibly a rt if Davis can't keep it right and has to slide over to rg. On top of that Ray McDonald could be Smith's future replacement. He played in Smith's backup role very well for his whole career. We also have Dobbs that looked very good at the 5. If anything happened to Smith I'm sure we'd see McDonald in his spot and Dobbs at the other end.
No de early this draft, unless sombody is a straight steal in the 2nd round.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you like Barrett Jones as an OG or an OT?

I know you're really high on Vinny Curry, but how would you cmopare Nick Perry to him? I like 'em both; and part of me is scheptical of USC pass rushers, but it seems like Perry has done it against better competition. Perry's also a little less lanky. I'll be interested to see both of their combine numbers...

Both. His versatility is extremely attractive. That said, I doubt he declares.

Vinny Curry is considerably a better prospect than Perry, IMO. Better hand-play, more explosive, better closing speed. I like everything I've read about Curry, as well.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize you were a Ryan Tannhill fan clyde. Where would you like us to grab him?

I would be ecstatic if we could snag DeCastro in the late first round. I'm usually not a fan of taking a OG in the first round, but as good of a talent as he is and knowing we are going to have a very late draft pick, that seems like a steal to me. Plus he already knows the offense.

You know what? I'm not a Huge fan. But he's a guy I'd definitely start to look at in late 2nd / early 3rd round range.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know what? I'm not a Huge fan. But he's a guy I'd definitely start to look at in late 2nd / early 3rd round range.

I thought Tannehill was a lot like Locker but has more of a capacity to learn since he's new to the position. I'm with you on the grading.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Vinny Curry is considerably a better prospect than Perry, IMO. Better hand-play, more explosive, better closing speed. I like everything I've read about Curry, as well.

I like 'em both, but so far I give the edge to Perry. I'll be interested to see what happens at the combine...

Did you leave Riley Rieff off the list because he'll get picked too high? Or more specifically: Whom would you rather have? Rieff or Jones?

I didn't pay enough attention to Jones this year 'cause I was too busy watching the rest of 'bama's OL when I saw 'em play.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So here are some players I think are rated too high right now:

Devon Still:

Neither quickness, leverage, ability to wrap up nor ability to disengage from the OL blocks really blows me away about this guy. I think Jared Crick does just about everything better than he does. I'd take Brandon Thompson (whom I love) over him and probably Jerel Worthy too.

Alfonzo Denard:

I didn't like Prince Amakamura as much as most people (and thought his apparent draft day slide wasn't a slide at all), and I like Denard much less than I did the Fresh Prince. I don't see what people love about this guy.

Morris Claiborne.

Most people have him in the top 5-7. It's simply a question of top end speed with him IMO. I don't think he has elite speed. He could totally change my mind at the combine, but at this point I don't see what makes him an elite prospect.

I've been saying Quinton Coples all year, but I think people have come back to earth with this guy and rated him about where he belongs. He used to be a top 4-5 consensus guy.

Jonathan Martin.

Seriously. WTC? How is he a top 15 pick?

Alshon Jeffery.

Huge & slow. Can you say Mike Williams? He could be dceent, but he's nowehere near a #1 WR IMO. Michael Floyd is WAY better than he.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both. His versatility is extremely attractive. That said, I doubt he declares.

can he play 3-4? i didn't see enough of curry to think he can make the transition.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
can he play 3-4? i didn't see enough of curry to think he can make the transition.

He'd better be able to play in a 3-4. Dude's listed at 6'5 245 pounds. That's a small DE. That's about Manny Lawson's size.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if we have that luxury. We're going to have holes after this season. Neither Synder or Rachal will be back, Goldson probably won't be back, Braylon probably won't and I think Williams is more of a slot, we need a center for sure, we need a cb for sure and possibly a rt if Davis can't keep it right and has to slide over to rg. On top of that Ray McDonald could be Smith's future replacement. He played in Smith's backup role very well for his whole career. We also have Dobbs that looked very good at the 5. If anything happened to Smith I'm sure we'd see McDonald in his spot and Dobbs at the other end.
No de early this draft, unless sombody is a straight steal in the 2nd round.

I have a feeling we end up keeping Snyder, but i agree with you about Braylon, Rachal, and Goldson. This doesn't mean we can't address the other positions in the draft or FA. I like Dobbs, but it would be nice to have another guy on the roster who could pose more of a threat. We have been very fortunate with Justin Smith in that he's been healthy and is an every down player. Now, i am a bit behind in looking at the DL prospects, so i don't know if there is anyone in particular that i would want. I just think it's something we should seriously consider doing this off season.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know Jared Crick's projected draft status? I liked him as a 3-4 DE prospect, but didn't think we had a shot at him. How bad did his injury (torn pec) hurt his status?

Status
Not open for further replies.