• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's so dominant against the bull, right?

I'm not saying he won't make a good RG, but it's not a given.

his biggest problem is playing in space. not to mention i haven't seen many guys man handle suh like davis did. he basically made suh his bitch

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a freshmen, and that doesn't necessarily mean he'd make the transition smoothly.

True. However, his slow footed style fits that position a lot better than his current. His transition hasn't been smooth into an NFL caliber rt, I think Boone would be a better rt than he is. Boone used to dominate at Thee Ohio St., then he lost his mind with the drank.
Davis has struggled the whole time at the tackle position, from college to now.

LT Anthony Davis Highlights/Lowlights 2009 Rutgers - YouTube

I'm baffled why Sing and co. traded up to get him when Bulaga was there for us? After I seen Bulaga dominate Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech I was convinced he would be solid.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not completely against moving him to RG if his contract is right, but it's still too early to pull the plug on him at RT IMO. He really needs to improve him pass protecting. I've seen him give up quite a few guys just beat him around the edge.

I'm not sure what the edge has to do with playing rg, maybe I'm lost somewhere? I'm also not sure what his contract being right has to do with him playing rg, again, I'm probably the one that's lost?
Also, it's not about pulling the plug on him at rt, he's able to fill a hole at rg that we'll have come the end of the season, plus the change will add to his strengths, while getting better on the edge all at the sametime. Boone is a very good tackle, the right side would be a very good place for him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Because he's so dominant against the bull, right?

I'm not saying he won't make a good RG, but it's not a given.

Getting beat by quick DEs with a bull rush isn't the same thing as a DT getting penetration. DEs bull rushing a tackle to the QB has more to do with being slow to react to what he did and feet not being quick enough. A DT is usually going to be slower (obviously) and has less room with which to work, so a guard knows he's going to have to dig in and stand up the defender rather than reacting to a possible speed rush to the outside (except on stunts of course; that changes things).

And no it's not a given Davis would make a good RG. But it's getting clear he can't handle speed rushers. I don't know if he can fix that; maybe if he lost some weight?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the edge has to do with playing rg, maybe I'm lost somewhere? I'm also not sure what his contract being right has to do with him playing rg, again, I'm probably the one that's lost?
Also, it's not about pulling the plug on him at rt, he's able to fill a hole at rg that we'll have come the end of the season, plus the change will add to his strengths, while getting better on the edge all at the sametime. Boone is a very good tackle, the right side would be a very good place for him.

Did you even read what i wrote? The edge has to do with him being able to improve in that area to stay at RT, which is where he belongs. You think it's worth it to draft a player 11th over all and pay him that type of money to play RG? It's not even worth it for RT IMO, but that was the GM's call.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting beat by quick DEs with a bull rush isn't the same thing as a DT getting penetration. DEs bull rushing a tackle to the QB has more to do with being slow to react to what he did and feet not being quick enough. A DT is usually going to be slower (obviously) and has less room with which to work, so a guard knows he's going to have to dig in and stand up the defender rather than reacting to a possible speed rush to the outside (except on stunts of course; that changes things).

And no it's not a given Davis would make a good RG. But it's getting clear he can't handle speed rushers. I don't know if he can fix that; maybe if he lost some weight?

It couldn't hurt, but it looks like he just gives up on the play some of the time. On those plays he just looks lackluster or possibly fatigued?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm the one guilty of thread jacking here, so I'll preemptively slap myself in the face with this little guy:

:focus:

I'll reply to this stuff in one of the OL threads or Clyde's Staley thread.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
USC tackle Matt Kalil will go pro | ProFootballTalk

One of the major early questions about the upcoming draft has been answered.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that USC tackle Matt Kalil has decided to go pro. Mort believes Kalil is a top-five pick, potentially the premier left tackle in this draft. Matt’s brother Ryan plays for the Panthers and is the highest paid center in football.

We still haven’t heard about USC quarterback Matt Barkley’s status yet. It was believed that whether Kalil stayed would be a bellwether for Barkley’s future. We’d expect Barkley to declare his status sooner than later.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you even read what i wrote? The edge has to do with him being able to improve in that area to stay at RT, which is where he belongs. You think it's worth it to draft a player 11th over all and pay him that type of money to play RG? It's not even worth it for RT IMO, but that was the GM's call.

My point is that it doesn't matter what he's getting paid or where he was drafted, that's all water under the bridge. The fact is that he needs to play where he's most effective, that is clearly not at rt. We have a better rt playing behind him, plus we'll have a huge hole this offseason at rg, which happens to be his old position until he graduated to protecting the edge. I think it wouldn't be smart to keep a player in an ineffective role because of his contract, or draft position.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC tackle Matt Kalil will go pro | ProFootballTalk

One of the major early questions about the upcoming draft has been answered.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that USC tackle Matt Kalil has decided to go pro. Mort believes Kalil is a top-five pick, potentially the premier left tackle in this draft. Matt’s brother Ryan plays for the Panthers and is the highest paid center in football.

We still haven’t heard about USC quarterback Matt Barkley’s status yet. It was believed that whether Kalil stayed would be a bellwether for Barkley’s future. We’d expect Barkley to declare his status sooner than later.

Not only do you keep posting this stuff in the wrong thread, you're also late.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True. However, his slow footed style fits that position a lot better than his current. His transition hasn't been smooth into an NFL caliber rt, I think Boone would be a better rt than he is. Boone used to dominate at Thee Ohio St., then he lost his mind with the drank.
Davis has struggled the whole time at the tackle position, from college to now.

LT Anthony Davis Highlights/Lowlights 2009 Rutgers - YouTube

I'm baffled why Sing and co. traded up to get him when Bulaga was there for us? After I seen Bulaga dominate Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech I was convinced he would be solid.

I've been saying this for the longest! As far as your last sentence is concern, Bulaga made an impression on me wayyy before that particular bowl game you are referring to. His sophomore year in college was actually better than his junior year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2012 tight end class full of weapons

December, 15, 2011
By Steve Muench

The New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints are two of the best teams in the NFL right now, thanks in part to impressive second-year tight ends Rob Gronkowski (Patriots) and Jimmy Graham (Saints).

Gronkowski (6-foot-6, 265 pounds) and Graham (6-6, 260) are matchup nightmares with the size and ball skills to be effective targets over the middle, and the foot speed and quickness to split wide and line up at receiver. Plenty of other teams are in the market for just such a weapon, and the 2012 class provides some options.

The top five tight ends on the board are (in order) Clemson's Dwayne Allen*, Stanford's Coby Fleener, Georgia's Orson Charles*, Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert* and Missouri's Michael Egnew. All of the top four could come off the board before the second round is over, while Egnew projects as a third-rounder.

What makes them valuable to NFL teams? Here's how they compare in the five position-specific categories we at Scouts Inc. use to evaluate tight end prospects.

Separation skills
1. Charles
2. Fleener
3. Egnew
4. Allen
5. Eifert

Charles masks his lack of prototypical size (6-32, 245) by using his quick hands and feet to get off the line. He could make sharper cuts in his routes, but Charles uses his upper body to set up his breaks and is quick enough to separate from most linebackers/safeties. He'd be an excellent fit in a place like Indianapolis, where Dallas Clark is 32 years old and Jacob Tamme is an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Fleener doesn't appear as quick as Charles on film, but he's a fluid route-runner who can separate from man coverage and he excels at locating seams in zone looks.

Coby Fleener can bring the ball in and make things happen after he does.

Ball skills
1. Fleener
2. Allen
3. Egnew
4. Charles
5. Eifert

Fleener (6-6, 252) makes the most of his long arms and big hands. He plucks the ball out of the air instead of letting it get to his frame and can easily make one-handed grabs. His ability to adjust to back-shoulder passes and make plays in traffic is also impressive. Carolina is an interesting possibility for Fleener.

Current Panthers TEs Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey have played well, but Shockey is 31 years old and he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Drafting Fleener would give QB Cam Newton another big target over the middle, and Fleener has the frame to develop into an effective blocker in the Panthers' run-heavy scheme.

Big-play ability
1. Charles
2. Fleener
3. Allen
4. Egnew
5. Eifert

All five of these tight ends can make plays. Even Eifert, who is not much of a threat after the catch, is fast enough to work the seam and has the size (6-5, 250) to give defensive backs problems down the field. He would be a good fit for teams like the Giants and Bears, which have the ground games to set up the play-action package.

As for Charles, his ability after the catch is what separates him. He's not quite as explosive as Aaron Hernandez, New England's other solid young tight end, but Charles compares favorably. Both can make the first defender miss and show above-average top-end speed in space.

Competitiveness
1. Allen
2. Charles
3. Fleener
4. Eifert
5. Egnew

This is by far the toughest trait to evaluate, and none of these prospects can be considered "soft." Allen stands out, though, because of his willingness to go over the middle, ability to drag defenders for extra yards and impressive blocking ability.

Denver could be in the market for a tight end, and Allen would be a good fit. He's an effective-enough blocker to open up seams in the ground game, and the Broncos could use more production out of their tight ends to provide QB Tim Tebow (assuming he holds on to the job next season) a security blanket in the passing game.

Blocking
1. Allen
2. Fleener
3. Eifert
4. Charles
5. Egnew

This is an area of weakness for most of these tight ends, and especially Egnew. At 6-5 and 237 pounds, he is lean with a relatively high center of gravity, raising concerns about his ability to get under defenders and drive them off the ball. He also hasn't gotten much experience as an in-line blocker in Missouri's spread scheme, so the best scenario for him is landing on a team looking for a situational receiver to give the passing game a boost, such as Arizona or Kansas City.

Allen's blocking prowess is about more than simple determination. He gets sound hand placement, can use his size (6-44, 255) to help seal the edge, knows how to get into position at the second level and can hold up in pass protection.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Need the deets on:

Jeff Fuller

Whitney Mercilus

gracias!

This past summer I went to a bbq in Jersey. Somewhere in Bergen County. I met his sister and I have a feeling that she wanted me...in that way. Very smart chick, trying to go in pre-med. Not the prettiest thing so that's why I didn't press it. She initiated the conversation with me and if you been in the game for a while, you know when a female is digging you. She was also there with a male cousin, (first cousin of Mercilus) and you can tell that that family produce some big men (physical specimen). The first cousin just came to this country about 2 years ago and is still adapting to the way of life in America; and you can tell that had he grew up in the US, he too would have been a pro football player. Anyway, the girl lives in Boston now and I kinda regret not getting her number despite the lack of beauty.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This past summer I went to a bbq in Jersey. Somewhere in Bergen County. I met his sister and I have a feeling that she wanted me...in that way. Very smart chick, trying to go in pre-med. Not the prettiest thing so that's why I didn't press it. She initiated the conversation with me and if you been in the game for a while, you know when a female is digging you. She was also there with a male cousin, (first cousin of Mercilus) and you can tell that that family produce some big men (physical specimen). The first cousin just came to this country about 2 years ago and is still adapting to the way of life in America; and you can tell that had he grew up in the US, he too would have been a pro football player. Anyway, the girl lives in Boston now and I kinda regret not getting her number despite the lack of beauty.

Definitely understand, the intelligence of a woman always plays a huge factor, especially if you're looking to click. Pre-Med students of both sexes devote a lot of time and work to their studies, cause the Pre-Med path ain't cheap and it's aint to be taken lightly.

Not even facebook?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Definitely understand, the intelligence of a woman always plays a huge factor, especially if you're looking to click. Pre-Med students of both sexes devote a lot of time and work to their studies, cause the Pre-Med path ain't cheap and it's aint to be taken lightly.

Not even facebook?

You think that's appropriate? I dunno man, you don't think it'll appear as if I am stalking her?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think that's appropriate? I dunno man, you don't think it'll appear as if I am stalking her?

LOL, on a personal briefing, I never got facebook because knowing me very well, i would be a stalker!!! plus that would blow up in my face in terms of communicaiton and statuses with other ladies and parties.... got to keep it on a need to know basis.

Nah, cause that's like the new can i get your number type communication. Instead where people exchange digits, from what I've seen or been asked, it's "do you have facebook?" or "friend me!"

lol, nah give me your number and lets work it from there!

Have you ever talked to her since the summer? if not, then maybe but at the same time, IMO, how hard do you want to push it, i mean if her personality is to your likings then make something happen. The woman don't need to be all that on the outside as long as shes real inside, her personality and perception will take over......

a side of Calamity....:tea:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, on a personal briefing, I never got facebook because knowing me very well, i would be a stalker!!! plus that would blow up in my face in terms of communicaiton and statuses with other ladies and parties.... got to keep it on a need to know basis.

Nah, cause that's like the new can i get your number type communication. Instead where people exchange digits, from what I've seen or been asked, it's "do you have facebook?" or "friend me!"

lol, nah give me your number and lets work it from there!

Have you ever talked to her since the summer? if not, then maybe but at the same time, IMO, how hard do you want to push it, i mean if her personality is to your likings then make something happen. The woman don't need to be all that on the outside as long as shes real inside, her personality and perception will take over......

a side of Calamity....:tea:

Well said Calamity. Well said!
Nah I haven't spoken with her since. Which is why I said finding her in fb now would be a little creepy. But I see what you're saying. Thanks for the feedback/adivce my dude!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well there's another power outage during the 49ers Stellers game (12/19/'11), so I'll take an NCAA time out...

Almost every year I have a man-crush 2nd round prospect like Calalias Campbell & Greg Little. Unless he jumps into the 1st round I'm starting to think my 2RMC this offseason is going to be Nick Perry.

Message to the other 31 NFL GMs: Please ignore Nick Perry. He's terrible. He'll never even make an NFL Roster. :)

Note: I'm starting to become very skeptical of USC pass rushers (as I've been of FSU pass rushers), so I'm not 100% convinced yet. I was trying to figure out if I liked Perry more than Vinny Curry (whom I like), but Curry's been going up against far inferior teams. Plus Curry's a little lanky looking for my taste.

Last edited by a moderator:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there's another power outage during the 49ers Stellers game (12/19/'11), so I'll take an NCAA time out...

Almost every year I have a man-crush 2nd round prospect like Calalias Campbell & Greg Little. Unless he jumps into the 1st round I'm starting to think my 2RMC this offseason is going to be Nick Perry.

Message to the other 31 NFL GMs: Please ignore Nick Perry. He's terrible. He'll never even make an NFL Roster. :)

Note: I'm starting to become very skeptical of USC pass rushers (as I've been of FSU pass rushers), so I'm not 100% convinced yet. I was trying to figure out if I liked Perry more than Vinny Curry (whom I like), but Curry's been going up against far inferior teams. Plus Curry's a little lanky looking for my taste.

My man crush is Frank Alexander, Oklahoma, de/olb. Have you seen the way he uses those long arms on the pass rush? He reminds me of Aldon Smith, except one that is experienced in a 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.