• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I'm not sure why he was playing unless he has passed his noggin tests.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Richardson does it all against Auburn
Steve Muench

After his 27-carry, 203-yard performance in a 42-14 win over rival Auburn, it's easy for even the casual fan to see why Alabama RB Trent Richardson is considered by many to be the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy.

Richardson has carried a Crimson Tide offense that entered the season with a new starting quarterback and looking to replace an elite receiver in Julio Jones. His impressive season (263 carries, 1,583 yards, 20 TD; 27 catches, 327 yards, 3 TD) could very well make him the second Alabama back in the last three years to win the Heisman, following Mark Ingram in 2009.

Not surprisingly, Richardson is also the top running back on Scouts Inc.'s 2012 NFL draft board, and he is likely to come off the board higher than Ingram, whom the New Orleans Saints took with the 28th overall pick in 2011.

What makes Richardson so special? Here's a look at how he fared against Auburn from a scouting perspective, with a breakdown of his skills in each of the position-specific areas we use to evaluate running back prospects. Categories are graded from 1 to 5, with 1 being the highest grade.

Competitiveness: 1
There's nothing Richardson won't do to help his team, including blocking. Against Auburn, he was asked to lead WR Marquis Maze on a running play and stepped up and put Tigers CB Jonathon Mincy on his back. Richardson even got into position to pick up a rushing defender after tossing the ball back to QB A.J. McCarron on a flea-flicker. There is also, of course, his effort as a runner. Richardson fights for every possible inch on every single carry, and he has not worn down despite getting more than 20 carries in each of his last four games.

Notable play: first-and-10, Alabama 47-yard line, 8:11 remaining in first quarter
Alabama runs play-action, so Richardson isn't the focal point of this play and he knows it. That's not reflected in the way he plays this snap, though. Instead of just ducking down after the fake and taking a couple of steps toward the line of scrimmage, Richardson lowers his shoulder and helps put 290-pound DT Kenneth Carter on his back. It's a testament to the way he plays hard on every snap, no matter what he's asked to do.

Vision/Patience: 1
Richardson was quick without hurrying against Auburn, letting his blockers get into position before accelerating through the hole and following his pulling offensive linemen well. There's also a lot to like about the way he read the flow of the defense. He recognized the Tigers overpursuing at times, and exploited the resulting cutback lane on more than one occasion.

Notable play: second-and-6, Alabama 27, 8:26 second quarter
Richardson shows off his power with a strong stiff-arm, and also his impressive burst on this 57-yard run. His vision and patience are on full display as well. Richardson quickly locates a seam and shifts into another gear, but rather than simply lowering his shoulder or running out of bounds when he's boxed in, he recognizes the defense overpursuing, slows down and breaks back across the field.

Agility/Acceleration: 2
Richardson doesn't have the top-end speed of Chris Johnson and he isn't an ankle breaker like LeSean McCoy, but he has above-average foot speed and initial quickness for a back his size (5-foot-11, 224 pounds). He can press the line of scrimmage and then bounce outside, and his ability to quickly change speeds quickly can cause defenders to overrun the play and miss tackles when he gets into space.

Notable play: first-and-10, Alabama 31, 13:55 third quarter
Richardson runs left and doesn't have to hesitate because his blockers open up a big crease for him. Once he gets to the second level, though, he recognizes Tigers DB Neiko Thorpe flying upfield, bounces outside to avoid him, and then turns on the jets for a 35-yard gain.

Power/Balance: 1
Richardson is a wrecking ball out of the backfield, and against the Tigers he ran downhill and consistently fell forward on inside runs. His lower-body strength appears to be above-average, and his ability to finish runs with a quick burst allows him to deliver the blow at the point of contact rather than absorbing it.

Notable play: third-and-4, Auburn 28, 12:17 third quarter
Richardson follows the block of his right guard and gets a nice seam. Auburn S Demetruce McNeal spins him around with an arm-tackle attempt, but isn't able to get Richardson to the ground. He maintains his balance, gets his shoulders turned back upfield and drives his legs, dragging four Auburn defenders for at least three more yards. It's that much more impressive when you consider the down and distance and the way he protects the ball with two hands.

Passing Game: 3
His grade might seem a bit low, but Richardson's ball skills and ability to anchor in pass protection are two reasons he grades out higher than Ingram did in this area. And remember, this grade is based solely on the Auburn film. A dropped pass in the second quarter coupled with his lack of production hurt Richardson in this area, but his blocking was impressive. He recognized pressure, got into position and held his ground well throughout the game.

Notable play: first-and-goal, Auburn 5, 9:11 second quarter
While there's nothing spectacular here, it's the best example from this game of Richardson's ability to contribute as a receiver out of the backfield. He slips into the flat, locates the ball, plucks it out of the air and has enough body control to break the plane before drifting out of bounds.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Clyde I'm wondering why you have Courtney Upshaw so high. You don't think there's a chance he looks better than he really is because of the obscene talent 'bama's had on the DL? I had the same worry about Quinton Coples when everyone and their cousin had him as the 2nd or 3rd player off the board...

Upshaw seems like a borderline 1st round high floor & not extremely high ceiling kind of player to me. JMHumbleO.

I like his versatility. He's one of the most well-rounded defenders in college football. He can get after the QB. Good hand-play. Not very explosive, but athletic enough, IMO. Schematically flexible. He's the best player on Alabama's defense.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Alexander vs Texas 2011 - YouTube
I like Frank Alexander with our 3rd round pick if he's there,possibly in the 2nd if he dominates at the combine. Built in the mold of Aldon Smith, seems to be stronger and better against the run(less athletic). He has the experience playing 3-4 olb too. I really like the way he uses his hands when pass rushing.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phuck Jones!

The WR class looks like it has the potential to be fairly solid. I wish a few of these guys would have come out this year. The first 4 should all be 1st round considerations, but there is some solid depth for 2nd/3rd round picks as well.

Justin Blackmon
Alshon Jeffery
Ryan Broyles
Michael Floyd
Nick Toon
Mohamed Sanu
Greg Childs
Jeff Fuller
Jermaine Kearse
DeVier Posey
Chris Owusu

whats with the Dwight Jones hate, he is a 1st or 2nd rounder and you guys dismiss him, why? Why would you rather list guys like Nick Toon and not Dwight Jones? Juron Criner is good too. Dwight was highly recruited out of high school, extremely productive in college, and you guys just ignore him?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Greg Reid jr. cb, Fla St. The only thing is that I see him as a free safety. I think that his size disadvantage is too much to overcome against the Megatrons and Fitzgeralds of the world. His strength, hitting ability, coverage, playmaking and return skills would put him in an elite catagory at fs.
Not to mention that he can return punts with the best of them.

At 5'8 190lbs people will compare him to Bob Sanders, not me, I think people will be compared to him in the near future (if he's moved to fs)
Greg Reid laid Marcus Lattimore out - YouTube
The Official Greg Reid Sophomore Season Highlight Tape - YouTube
He has had some bad games too, which is why he seems to be a better fs than cb, imo.
Greg Reid "Highlights" - YouTube

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From Chris Steuber on twitter:

A scout from the 49ers & Jaguars will attend the UNLV, TCU game on Saturday.

33 minutes ago

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Dude really like to screw himself does't he? The next Perrish Cox?

You're pretty high (no pun intended) on Cliff Harris right Clyde? I never really knew what to think of him as a prospect. Wonder if this drops him to something like the 6th round if he declares? What do you think?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude really like to screw himself does't he? The next Perrish Cox?

You're pretty high (no pun intended) on Cliff Harris right Clyde? I never really knew what to think of him as a prospect. Wonder if this drops him to something like the 6th round if he declares? What do you think?

No.

He might just go the Janoris Jenkins route.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
No.

He might just go the Janoris Jenkins route.

My mistake... Well, I think Jenkins is easily a MUCH more polished & talented player than Harris & won't make it out of the 1st round even with his baggage; I think he'd be a top 10 pick without the of field stuff. In fact if one could magically turn him into a guy with a clue in life he could be one of the 5-10 safest picks in the draft.

Harris, on the other had, is going to slide extremely far after this IMO.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't touch Jenkins anywhere in the first three rounds.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't really decided yet. I don't see myself taking him in the first at this point, though. We'll see if that changes.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that Greg Reid is filing paperwork. I really like his game, however at fs though. I think his height is too much to overcome in the NFL at cb, I think at fs he could excell. He would be able to cover the slot, all te's and backs. He is a sound, strong tackler that will lay the wood on you even thogh he's about 5'8 185. He's also one of the best return men in college football, so if he gets the ball in his hnds he's off. I'd really like for him to get some looks as a fs/st player. You gotta love his intensity.
Greg Reid NFL Draft Coverage, Scouting Reports, and More
Marcus Lattimore gets ROCKED. - YouTube
Greg Reid Sophomore Highlights - YouTube

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im also still advocating for Isaiah Pead in the 4th. I really don't like Dixon and think we'd be better served letting him go. Pead can come in and be the 3rd down back, a back that can catch the ball out of the backfield whether its across the middle, on a screen or down the field. He runs really hard and he'll enter the league at about 5'11 210. I think he can play the 3rd back role untill Gore's contract is up and then make the transition into a true wco type of running back, even if he's splitting time with Hunter or whoever else could be there.
Isaiah Pead Scouting Report RB Cincinnati Bearcats - NFL Mocks - Covering the 2012 NFL draft, Mock Draft Database, Scouting Reports, and Fantasy Football

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we do end up taking a wr in the 1st I wouldn't mind it being Kendall Wright. The more I watch him, the more I see that he could be a star. We all know that he can get open deep anytime he wants to, it's his yac that I'm falling in love with. He shows great hands, then he runs strong to go along with the speed. He seems to always break at least 1 or 2 tackles. he would be the perfect compliment to Crabtree. I'm not able to comment on his blocking because honstly I aven't paid much attention to it, however, he seems strong and tenacious enough that he can do that as well.
Kendall Wright -Airplanes- ||HD|| - YouTube
Kendall Wright vs TCU 2011 - YouTube
2012 Scouting Report: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor - NFL Mocks - Covering the 2012 NFL draft, Mock Draft Database, Scouting Reports, and Fantasy Football
I think he's in the Marvin Harrison mold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cuj7lBm-pE

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Thanks for posting that stuff EKmane. I'm starting to agree with you on Wright. He's the only at whom thje Niners have a shot of taking who I think could be a true #1 WR. I want to see what he does / weighs / measures at the combine though.

Blackmon's been #1 draft eligible WR since the Bengals took AJ Green, but there's no way the Niners get him. I don't think be able to get Floyd either (which could be a blessing in disguise considering his off-filed antics).

Status
Not open for further replies.