• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've seen enough of Barkley now that I don't think he's going to develop into an elite QB. Unless he shocks me with an amazing senior season I wouldn't take the chance on him. I liked what I thought was a ton of potential, but I don't think it's coming into fruition (or it wasn't there in the first place). I suppose he could change my mind, but I don't think he will.

I agreed with you at the time you posted this, but Barkley has really improved since

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Posted by NinerSickness I've seen enough of Barkley now that I don't think he's going to develop into an elite QB. Unless he shocks me with an amazing senior season I wouldn't take the chance on him. I liked what I thought was a ton of potential, but I don't think it's coming into fruition (or it wasn't there in the first place). I suppose he could change my mind, but I don't think he will.

Not saying I agree with him (Sarkisian), but what I'm saying is that I am disagreeing with you on Barkley. The kid will be special. Book it!

Washington Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian says he'd pick Matt Barkley over Andrew Luck - ESPN Los Angeles

Steve Sarkisian: I'd take Matt Barkley
By Pedro Moura
ESPNLosAngeles.com

Archive LOS ANGELES -- Washington Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian appeared to take a page out of the old Lou Holtz book for game management and amped up the pressure on USC this week with his comments Monday regarding Trojans quarterback Matt Barkley.

Asked about the USC offense in advance of Saturday's game against the Trojans, Sarkisian said Barkley would be a better NFL quarterback than his significantly more-hyped counterpart at Stanford, Andrew Luck.

"If I'm an NFL head coach right now, I'd pick Matt Barkley ahead of Andrew Luck," Sarkisian said in his weekly press conference.

Told afterward of his comments, Barkley laughed and said Sarkisian was "just pouring on the sugar."

"He's just pouring it on," he said.

As a USC assistant, Sarkisian recruited Barkley out of Santa Ana Mater Dei as a prep. Sarkisian referenced Mater Dei in justifying his comments, noting that very few players start on the varsity as a true freshman -- especially at quarterback and especially at schools like Mater Dei.

Luck, Stanford's redshirt junior quarterback who is almost unanimously considered the top quarterback in the college ranks, did not do much against Washington in the Cardinal's win over the Huskies last month. But he wasn't asked to, attempting only 21 passes but completing 16 of them for 169 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Barkley posted similar numbers against Washington a year ago in the Trojans' 32-31 October loss at the Coliseum, completing 14 of 20 passes for 186 yards. He did not play against Sarkisian's Huskies the previous season because of an injury.

Sarkisian said a lot of his high praise of Barkley could be traced back to this season, as he has improved his numbers across the board. Through nine games, Barkley has completed 67 percent of his passes for 2,608 yards, 28 touchdowns and six interceptions.

"I think he's playing at that high of a level," Sarkisian said.

After Washington's 34-17 loss over the weekend to Oregon, Huskies defensive coordinator Nick Holt told reporters that his team's upcoming game against USC would be easier to plan for than the game against the Ducks.

"We'll be OK against these guys," said Holt, who twice held the same position at USC under former coach Pete Carroll. "I'd rather play USC than Oregon, quite honestly."

Asked about Holt's comments after Monday's practice, Kiffin downplayed the statements and any potential influence it would have on his team leading up to Saturday's game at the Coliseum.

"I don't make much of it," Kiffin said. "We have great respect for those guys and their staff and their players

"They beat us two years in a row so they can say whatever they want."

But the comment -- along with a note marking how many yards USC gained in a losing effort against the Huskies last season -- was posted on a door in USC's Heritage Hall by mid-morning Monday. Most players walk through the door where it was posted each day while leaving the school's athletic headquarters.

Sarkisian said he had no problem with his assistant coach's remarks, saying they were meant to be more of a praise of Oregon than a diss directed at USC.

"I think you can ask every defensive coordinator in our conference the same question and they'd say the same thing," Sarkisian said. "Oregon is harder to prepare for because of how unique they are. That doesn't mean that 'SC's not really good -- I think they're a tremendous offensive football team."

"The comment was about the preparation for an offensive style, and as we've all seen now for years, at Oregon they're very hard to prepare for and the speed and tempo they play at is difficult."

But Sarkisian, who spent seven seasons at USC, seemed to make a slight dig at Kiffin and his program after he was told that USC posted the comments at Heritage Hall.

"If that quote's gonna make USC play better, then that'll make them play better," Sarkisian said. "I don't know.

"We don't motivate that way here."

A year ago, Sarkisian told reporters in Seattle that USC had the deepest team in the conference "from top to bottom." He repeated that comment Monday, despite the fact that the Trojans' 4-2 record in Pac-12 play is only tied with three other teams for third-best in the conference.

It seemed a continuation of a long-standing back-and-forth between Kiffin and Sarkisian, who were co-offensive coordinators for a time at USC and have kept up their friendship through the years. Both men have traded jabs in the week leading up to their head-to-head matchups.

"That's an old Lou Holtz trick that he learned watching TV a long time ago," Kiffin said a year ago of Sarkisian's hype-up comments. "To call a team that has the lowest scholarships probably in the country the deepest team in the Pac-10, that's an old set-up trick.

"We can barely find enough guys to practice. Our service team is made up of some kids from science class. Half of them never played football before."

Asked then if it was possible that he was employing similar tactics by downplaying the caliber of his own team, Kiffin smiled.

"We watched the same show," he said.

Pedro Moura covers USC for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]I hope so.

I heard during one of Landry Jones games that he is engaged to one of the Women's Basketball players. With her in school another year they were saying the chances are very likely that he would want to stay another year. What if Luck is the only one of the 3 to come out this year? Does this bode well for us?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personnel Points: Kuechly impresses

Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly continues to record tackles in bunches

By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN Insider
Archive

Luke Kuechly's read-and-react ability is as good as any linebacker's in the draft.
Each week, Mel Kiper gives updates on another group of prospects who have caught his eye, some well-known, others well under the radar.

Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College Eagles

The 6-foot-2½, 237-pound junior is the definition of a tackling machine. As a freshman, he started all but one game for the Eagles and went on to finish second in the country with 158 tackles. That effort earned him ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year honors. Switched from outside to middle linebacker as a sophomore, Kuechly led the country in tackles while setting a single-season school record with 183.

Through 10 games this season, he is tops on the team in tackles (168), tackles for loss (10) and interceptions (two); Kuechly has a mere 103 more tackles than any other BC player. In Boston College's 14-10 win against the North Carolina State Wolfpack, he led the way with 18 tackles (1.5 of those for loss). The thing I liked most was how well he broke down in space in the short-intermediate passing game and made stops. In terms of his pro potential, Kuechly isn't the physical specimen that some of the other highly rated juniors are at the position, but his read/react ability is as good as it gets. His production is off the charts. He's a very well-rounded player and has a great passion for the game.

Tramain Thomas, S, Arkansas Razorbacks

A dual threat quarterback and cornerback in high school, the senior (5-11½, 204) saw action in 21 games with five starts during his first two seasons with the Razorbacks. At that point in his career, Thomas was nothing to get excited about. In 2010, however, he became a permanent fixture in the deep patrol and established himself as a legitimate pro prospect along the way.

What stood out was Thomas' ability to make big plays in a variety of ways. Thomas finished the season with 83 tackles, five tackles for loss, four interceptions and four forced fumbles. In 2011, he has once again proved to be Arkansas' top playmaker with four interceptions and is second in tackles with 64. In the win against the Tennessee Volunteers, Thomas made his presence felt in run support. He had a nice breakup and an interception. He has a chance to become a quality third safety in the NFL.

Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa Hawkeyes

In a losing effort against Michigan State, the 6-3, 215-pound senior once again came up big for the Hawkeyes. A three-sport star in high school, McNutt began his college career as a quarterback. After totaling just one reception as a redshirt freshman, McNutt showed dramatic improvement the following year, catching 34 passes and averaging 19.8 yards per catch with eight touchdowns. As a junior, he earned second team All-Big Ten honors after leading the Hawkeyes with 53 catches for a 16.2-yard average and eight TDs.

It's been more of the same from McNutt in 2011. He's caught six or more balls in eight of Iowa's 10 games. McNutt has amassed at least 100 receiving yards in his past four games, and seven times overall this season. On Saturday, he had eight grabs for 130 yards, including a highlight reel one-handed grab in the first half. McNutt made big plays down the field and showed good run-after-the-catch ability. And he impressed as a runner with two carries for 27 yards. McNutt has continued to show steady improvement, has very good size and is faster with the pads on than what his 40-time would indicate. And he can be a major weapon in the red zone.

Brian Linthicum, TE, Michigan State Spartans

Linthicum had a career-high five catches for 71 yards against Iowa. He began his career at Clemson and showed promise as a freshman with three of his 11 receptions resulting in touchdowns, but he sat out the following year after deciding a change of scenery was in his best interest. Linthicum started seven games for the Spartans in '09, finishing with 20 receptions for a 13.3-yard average and two touchdowns. At that point in his career, I was excited about his future prospects. As a junior, he was productive but didn't make the kind of jump that I was hoping for (18 receptions for a 12.8-yard average).

Part of a trio this season that includes Dion Sims and Garrett Celek, Linthicum hasn't done a whole lot this season to capture the imagination. At 6-4 and 245 pounds, Linthicum has good enough size. He has the ability to make an occasional big play in the vertical passing game but isn't a consistent threat to do so. And while I like his effort as a blocker, the results are not always there. I thought Linthicum could be a second- or third-round pick after his sophomore season, but I now look at him as more of a fifth- to sixth-round type.

Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State Cougars

In 2004, Washington State had a young wideout named Jason Hill who became one of the more feared deep threats in his conference (22.4 yards per catch). Last season, I came across a freshman for the Cougars (Wilson) who is very similar in that regard. The 6-3, 183-pounder set a school record for freshmen in 2010, with 55 catches for an 18.3-yard average. Because the Cougars struggled to win games, he was overshadowed by a number of other first-year wideouts around the country. But Wilson led all freshmen with 1,006 receiving yards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILOiSfpEHUg

On Saturday, in the Cougars' win against the Arizona State Sun Devils, Wilson posted eight receptions for 223 yards and three touchdowns. He made a number of terrific catches throughout the game and impressed me with his ability to consistently snatch the football out of the air. The following gives you an idea of his physical gifts: As a junior in high school, he was named first team all-league in football, basketball and track and field. The previously mentioned Hill ended up being a third-round pick in the '07 draft by the San Francisco 49ers. Wilson grades out as a better pro prospect at similar stages of their respective college careers.

David Molk, C, Michigan Wolverines

Against Illinois, Michigan running back Fitzgerald Toussaint rushed for a career-high 192 yards on 27 carries. Directly responsible for his success was Molk, the senior center. The 6-2, 288-pounder possesses good feet and plays with good leverage. He impressed me with his second-level blocking prowess against the Fighting Illini and made some nice combination blocks, as well.

There were a few occasions when I thought he could've done a better job finishing off the opponent, but overall it was an impressive outing for him. Void of an elite player at the position in terms of the senior class, it wouldn't come as all that much of a surprise to see him develop into the best pro of the bunch.

Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech Hokies

In the Georgia Tech game, the Hokies had three skill-position players -- junior running back David Wilson and senior wide receivers Jarrett Boykin and Danny Coale -- whom NFL scouts were taking note of. The one with the most upside, though, is clearly the 6-5½, 254-pound Thomas. While rough around the edges, Thomas has a very strong arm and terrific overall physical ability. I like his mechanics, and he's a hard worker.

If you watched him against the Rambling Wreck on Thursday, you couldn't help but think that if Thomas makes the necessary improvements in 2012 and the supporting cast is revamped -- both Boykin and Coale are in their final year of eligibility, Wilson might leave early for the draft, and the Hokies have a senior-laden offensive line that will need to be overhauled -- the QB could take the college football world by storm next season. It's worth noting that in Thomas' first five games of the 2011 season, he threw four touchdowns and five interceptions. He finished on the plus side in terms of touchdown/interception differential just once. In his past five games, he has 10 touchdowns compared to two interceptions. He has finished on the plus side in terms of touchdown/interception differential four times during that time span.

Mel Kiper has been the premier name in NFL draft prospect evaluations for more than three decades. He started putting out his annual draft guides in 1978 and started contributing to ESPN as an analyst in 1984. For more from Mel, check out his annual draft publications or his home page. He can also be found on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Martavious Odoms finally showing up today. Keshawn Martin 8 rec 100 yards. Cousins did well.

+ Fitzgerald Toussaint RB Michigan

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see any college threads for this week so I'm adding it here. I thought it was cool that Joe's son, Nick, played (due to injury) and Favre's nephew, Dylan, played (due to ineffective play or injury). Both lost and neither played lights out, but I thought they individually did ok in a bad game by Mississippi State and a big loss by UW.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Precollege football season I didn't even have Barkley ranked as a 1st or 2nd round QB, he's shown the past few weeks he's 1st good and IMO a better prospect than Luck

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QBs Moving Up And Down
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

I spent time this week watching three games worth of coach-copy tape on four big-name quarterbacks, and I also spoke to two different scouts who cover each prospect for their scouting areas. Here's an updated breakdown of how each player fares in the position-specific categories we use to evaluate quarterbacks, and a sense for where each projects in the 2012 draft at this point.

Categories are graded on a 1-5 basis, with 1 being the highest.

Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M (6-foot-4¼, 222 pounds, 4.90 40-yard dash)Mental Makeup: 1
He's still learning on the job and lacks ideal game experience, and he forces too many throws. However, he comes from a pro-style system, has excellent intangibles and is a hard worker. Shows leadership and is ultra-competitive. Very good football intelligence as well.

Accuracy: 2
Is showing significant improvement as a senior. Footwork is still progressing and lacks ideal anticipation on some throws, but is showing much more consistency on intermediate and deep throws. Also shows above-average accuracy when throwing on the run.

Release/Arm Strength: 2
Bit of a three-quarters delivery and pushes the ball a bit, but is tall and does not have many passes batted down at the line. Has adequate release quickness and above-average arm strength.

Pocket mobility: 1
Very good athlete. Not overly elusive, but is a threat to run and is competitive when he does. Can still improve his feel inside pocket. Needs to do a better job keeping eyes downfield when avoiding the rush. At his best on bootlegs when he gets outside the pocket and forces run-pass option (while making high-low reads on two-, three-, and four-tier route combinations.

2012 projection: Second round and rising

Robert Griffin III, Baylor (6-1½ , 218, 4.45)
Mental Makeup: 1
Outstanding intelligence and competitiveness. Will need to make the transition from a spread offense with simple reads, but has the work ethic and natural intelligence to do so. Has cut down on forced throws as a senior. Making better decisions overall.

Accuracy: 2 The vast majority of his throws are within 10 yards of line of scrimmage, but he is more accurate than expected on intermediate throws. Deep ball accuracy is improving, but still not consistent. Seems to struggle with trajectory on deep ball. Also needs to learn how to take some heat off his fastball on some underneath throws.

Release/Arm Strength: 2
Is on the shorter side and has some balls batted down at the line, but shows a quick release. Gets the ball to the perimeter faster than most on screens and quick-hitters. Has good overall arm strength and can zip the ball into tight spots down the field.

Pocket mobility: 1
Elite athlete for the position. Capable of consistently buying extra time with feet. Will be late feeling pressure at times, though, and occasionally holds the ball too long. Has speed and elusiveness to become a legitimate running threat in NFL, and could contribute as a "slash"-type player if needed.

2012 projection: Second round and rising

Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State (6-3¾ , 217, 4.95)
Mental Makeup: 3
Mature and improving as game manager, but I still question some decisions. Still forces too many throws. Spread system does not translate well to NFL, but he has the football intelligence to adjust. Will be a 29-year-old rookie, which will be a significant factor in where he gets drafted.

Improved accuracy from a year ago. Makes some beautiful throws into tight windows. Still a bit too inconsistent in this area, however. Needs to be more consistent with footwork, especially with weight transfer. Needs to learn to take some heat off of some throws that require touch.

Release/Arm Strength: 1
Has somewhat of a three-quarters delivery, but release is compact and quick and the ball jumps off his hand. He can make all the NFL throws and gets great zip on deep outs.

Pocket mobility: 3
Pocket presence is improving but still not good. Flashes quick feet and is capable of avoiding pressure by sidestepping (inside rush) and stepping up (outside rush). Will never be a running threat, though.

2012 projection: Middle rounds

Case Keenum, Houston (6-0***8541; , 205, 4.95)

Mental Makeup: 3
Has football intelligence, but Houston's wide-open system does not translate to the NFL game. He runs too many plays on which he makes one read and lets it rip.

Excellent touch and above-average anticipation, but he throws into a lot of wide-open passing windows because of the scheme.

Release/Arm Strength: 4
Gets only marginal zip on the deep out, and his deep balls tend to sail.

Pocket mobility: 3
Has quick feet and can scramble to buy extra time, but is not a running threat. Below-average pocket presence.

2012 projection: Late rounds or free agent (marginal size, major durability issues)

Character Concerns Mounting
Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

Suspensions and off-the-field issues involving potential 2012 NFL draft picks are beginning to mount. Here are a few players making headlines recently for the wrong reasons:

North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins
Janoris Jenkins no longer wears a Florida uniform, but his issues there still dog him.North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins
Jenkins was dismissed from the Florida program in April 2011 after being arrested twice in a three-month span on drug-related charges, and in 2009 he was involved in a fight and charged with resisting arrest without violence.

He transferred to Division II North Alabama prior to this season, but has not dominated the small-school competition the way a player with his skills should. He's flashing big-play ability, especially on special teams, but he is inconsistent and is underachieving in coverage. Jenkins was also kicked out of the Delta State game, and it won't surprise me if he and his first-round talent fall out of the top 50 picks.

Ohio State WR DeVier Posey
Posey is set to return to the field in Week 12 after serving consecutive five-game suspensions. The first was a result of the well-documented tattoo-parlor scandal that sent the entire Ohio State football program into a tailspin and ultimately cost coach Jim Tressel his job. Posey'***8217;s second five-game suspension came in October, when the NCAA ruled he was overpaid by a booster.

We gave Posey a third-round grade based on his 2010 game tape, but his stock has clearly fallen singe then. He now has two regular-season games and a bowl game to make up for lost time and get himself back in the early part of Day 3.

Miami S Ray-Ray Armstrong
Armstrong was suspended for the first four games of the season because of his relationship with infamous booster Nevin Shapiro. The NCAA determined that Armstrong received approximately $788 in impermissible benefits from Shapiro while being recruited. He was also suspended from last week's Florida State game while Miami school investigated a dinner he attended with the owner of a public relations firm that represents professional athletes.

Armstrong came into the season with a late-second-round grade, and he has 25 tackles in five games this year. He's not listed on the depth chart for this week, though, and he might do well to return to Coral Gables for his senior season to maximize his stock.

Montana CB Trumaine Johnson
Johnson was arrested for obstructing a peace officer, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest following an October 23rd incident, during which he appears to have been tasered after getting between a teammate and a police officer. He has good size and a lot of upside, but there are questions about the level of competition he faces and Johnson will have to put this behind him to get into the Day 2 conversation.

Indiana WR Demario Belcher
Belcher was leading the team in receiving when he was kicked off last month for violating team rules. He played in only six games this year thanks to injury and suspension, and though he finished his career No. 2 on Indiana's career receptions list, Belcher did nothing this season to improve his free-agent grade.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Precollege football season I didn't even have Barkley ranked as a 1st or 2nd round QB, he's shown the past few weeks he's 1st good and IMO a better prospect than Luck

Uhhhhh.... no.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: November 22, 2011
Personnel Points: Barkley impresses The USC Trojans QB played well against Oregon and has moved up Mel's boardBy Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN Insider
Archive

Each week, Mel Kiper gives updates on another group of prospects who have caught his eye, some well-known, others well under the radar.

Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas Razorbacks

Bothered by a hamstring injury, the 6-foot-4, 271-pound senior came into Arkansas' game against South Carolina with just two sacks on the season. During the Razorbacks' last three games, however, we've seen why he'll be playing on Sunday next year at this time. Bequette has six sacks in their last three games, two of which came in their win against the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Saturday.

Clearly their top difference maker among the front four, Bequette leads the Razorbacks with eight sacks despite missing three games. The rest of the team has combined for just 12. While he's proven to be a very disruptive force as a pass rusher, I would like to see him make more impact plays against the run. Of his 17 tackles for loss during the last two seasons, only two have come against the run.

Matt Barkley, QB, USC Trojans

Since a subpar performance against the Arizona State Sun Devils in late September, the 6-2, 223-pound junior has been outstanding. In USC's upset win against the Oregon Ducks, Barkley looked every bit the part of a very high first-round pick. When projecting him to the next level, there is a lot to like about the young man, starting with very good mechanics. While he doesn't possess a Matthew Stafford-type arm, Barkley is more than capable of making all the throws you need to be successful in the pros. He's not noted for being the most mobile of signal callers but that hasn't stopped him from being an effective thrower on the move.

As you witnessed on Saturday, Barkley does a very nice job of going through his progressions, and I like the steady improvement he has shown through the years. Both his completion percentage (59.9 percent to 67.6 percent) and touchdown/interception differential (plus-1 to plus-26) have significantly improved in the last two seasons. And in the Trojans' two biggest games of the 2011 campaign against Stanford and Oregon, Barkley completed 68.4 percent of his passes with seven touchdowns and two interceptions. Currently at No. 10 on my Big Board, expect that to change this week.

Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

A prospect on the offensive side of the football for the Razorbacks who turned a few heads during the weekend was the 6-3, 236-pound junior. Gragg had a career-high eight catches for 119 yards and a touchdown. After showing impressive big play ability in limited opportunities as a sophomore (21.4-yard average on eight catches), he has become an integral part of the passing attack this season (currently ranks third on the team with 38 receptions for a 12.0-yard average).

And while he's not the most physically imposing player at the position, I thought Gragg did a respectable job as a blocker against the Bulldogs. When looking at the top five junior tight ends on my board, his stock has risen the most since the start of the season.

Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor Bears

In a 45-38 victory against the Oklahoma Sooners, the 5-10, 195-pound Wright posted eight catches for a season-high 208 yards and a touchdown. His numbers would have been even better if not for a holding call on the Bears' first series, which negated an 80-yard touchdown reception. A model of consistency this season, Wright has had seven or more receptions in each of Baylor's 11 games. One of many things to like about him in the game against the Sooners was his alertness.

On a pass that was thrown behind him in the first half, Wright had the presence of mind to reach in and break up what could have been an interception deep in Bears' territory. In the second half, he took a deflected pass 87 yards for a touchdown. When looking at him as a pro prospect, you have a young man who possesses good hands. He is dangerous after the catch. He gets high marks for his productivity. And he thrives on competition. The lone thing missing from the equation at the present time is that he's not a proven commodity as a returner.

Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State Mountaineers

After dropping what should have been his first reception of the game, Quick went on to have a productive day (11 catches for 150 yards and two touchdowns) in a 28-24 win against Elon. Quick dropped two catchable balls but made a number of spectacular grabs. Noted more for his exploits on the hardwood than the gridiron at the high school level, he showcased that type of athleticism on a number of different occasions through the course of the game.

Quick displayed strong hands and excellent body control, routinely adjusting to passes that were off the mark. He's a young man who should interest a number of teams in the middle rounds who are in need of a big (6-4, 215), physical wideout who initially could carve a niche for himself as a very good red zone threat.

Terrell Manning, LB, North Carolina State Wolfpack

A couple of weeks ago, I made quick mention of the 6-2, 233-pound Manning while doing a write-up on his teammate Audie Cole. Despite missing two games with a knee injury, Manning currently leads the team with 11.5 tackles for loss, is tied for the team lead with five sacks and also has five pass breakups. In the Wolfpack's 37-13 demolition of Clemson, he finished with 3.5 tackles for loss, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.

Operating at both linebacker and defensive end, Manning made his presence felt against the run, in coverage and blitzing the quarterback. He plays the game at a high intensity level similar to former Wolfpack star Nate Irving. He's a fierce tackler, and he's someone who definitely jumps out at you on film.

Jonathan Brown, LB, Illinois Fighting Illini

With the early departure of Martez Wilson to the NFL (third-round pick of the Saints), Illinois was lacking an impact performer at the linebacker position entering the 2011 season. Enter the 6-foot, 235-pound Brown. After showing some glimpses as a freshman, he has come on like gangbusters this season. Not only does the guy have a very good nose for the football, he's also the definition of a big-play performer.

What we saw from him against the Wisconsin Badgers (10 tackles, four tackles for loss, one sack and one fumble recovery) is what we've seen throughout the 2011 campaign. Through 11 games, he leads the team with 88 tackles to go along with 18.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks. The second of those three is tied for the second-best mark among linebackers in the country. A player of no consequence entering the spring, you're now looking at one of the top 3-4 outside backers in the sophomore class.

Mel Kiper has been the premier name in NFL draft prospect evaluations for more than three decades. He started putting out his annual draft guides in 1978 and started contributing to ESPN as an analyst in 1984. For more from Mel, check out his annual draft publications or his home page. He can also be found on Twitter.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a Michigan fan, i was wondering what some of you thought about Denard Robinson. Ill be truthful i dont get to watch all the games as College isnt my top watched sport. But the dude has some wheels and can run the ball well. He isnt the best at throwing but has been solid. Think he will come out this year? Would he even project as a QB in the pros? Its quite fun watching him.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep mentioning Dwight Jones, and nobody seems to say anything. So...here is a 49er message board with other people who have actually seen him play and knows that he is the real deal. Dwight Jones - 49ers Message Board Community not trying to recruit, just trying to point out that im not the only person who thinks Dwight Jones is under publicized.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I keep mentioning Dwight Jones, and nobody seems to say anything. So...here is a 49er message board with other people who have actually seen him play and knows that he is the real deal. Dwight Jones - 49ers Message Board Community not trying to recruit, just trying to point out that im not the only person who thinks Dwight Jones is under publicized.

Phuck Jones!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Soaring Barkley gaining on Jones
November, 28, 2011
By Kevin Weidl

No quarterback in the nation is playing at a higher level than USC's Matt Barkley, who now faces a tough decision on whether to enter the 2012 draft.

Barkley has completed better than 72 percent of his passes over his past four games, throwing for 1,238 yards, 17 touchdowns and just two interceptions. His stock can't get any higher than it is right now, thanks in large part to the maturity and leadership he's exhibited.
I continue to be impressed with Barkley's poise and composure in the pocket. He's showing the ability to start his reads on one side of the field, manipulate the safety off his spot in coverage and get to the other side of the field to find an open receiver. His ability to work so deep into his progressions is rare for a college quarterback, and he makes good decisions while going through his reads.

Barkley isn't an elite athlete, but he's calm with pass-rushers closing in, possessing the ability to sense pressure, make subtle moves in the pocket and create throwing lanes. Although he doesn't have elite arm strength to stretch the field, his accuracy and touch on deep balls are improving.

NCAA sanctions prevent USC from playing in the Pac-12 title game or a bowl game, so Barkley can immediately begin weighing his future. Given the way he finished the season, his draft prospects can't really get any better. He could decide to come back to Los Angeles in 2012 and be the top quarterback in the 2013 draft, but with the rookie wage scale narrowing the gap between the top pick and the rest of the draft, Barkley wouldn't lose much money being a top-10 pick right now compared to possibly the No. 1 overall pick down the road.

Jones losing ground?

On the other side of the quarterback coin is Oklahoma's Landry Jones, who has not lived up to expectations in the second half of the season.

I was impressed during preseason film study with Jones' accuracy, but he's taken a step back in that area. He's missing badly both high and low at times, and he's often missing his mark within the strike zone as well. His decision-making has been questionable recently -- his two interceptions against Iowa State, for example -- and weighing Jones' good tape against his bad tape could make for an interesting debate if Barkley opts to enter the draft.

Jones is No. 2 on the quarterback board, but Barkley is right behind him. Jones gets the nod in terms of size and arm strength, but Barkley's poise and decision-making could give him an edge. Ultimately, where teams rank the two and in what order they come off the board could come down to scheme fit. Barkley is a great fit in a West Coast-style offense, while Jones fits better in an offense that prefers a more vertical passing game.

Pair of tweeners coming on

Two emerging DE/OLB prospects are making noise as the college season winds down.

The first is Oklahoma's Ronnell Lewis, who is listed as a defensive end but plays both standing up and with his hand in the dirt. Lewis has a strong, wide base and can set the edge against the run, and he does a good job absorbing blocks in space, disengaging and making heavy hits as an open-field tackler. He needs to get stronger upstairs, though, because he can be engulfed at times by bigger offensive tackles.

Lewis also flashes the ability to win with first-step quickness as a pass-rusher. However, while he can dip his shoulder to gain leverage on blockers, he doesn't have the kind of finishing power we see in other top prospects, such as Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw. Still, Lewis plays with a great motor, has excellent closing burst and is a special-teams contributor. He is a great fit as an outside linebacker in an aggressive 3-4 scheme such as those run in Pittsburgh and Green Bay, and he carries a fringe first-round grade at this point.

Marshall DE Vinny Curry is also moving up the board. Curry ranks second nationally with 21 tackles for loss and is tied for fifth with 11 sacks, displaying natural pass-rush skills and the ability to transition speed to power. He has heavy hands and the ability to get under offensive tackles and rock them back, and like Lewis, he has a nonstop motor.

Curry has the ability to use his hands to set the edge against the run, and with his ability to shoot gaps and get penetration off the edge, he too could transition to 3-4 outside linebacker. He's making headway late in the season, and Curry could work his way into the third round before all is said and done.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So Clyde I'm wondering why you have Courtney Upshaw so high. You don't think there's a chance he looks better than he really is because of the obscene talent 'bama's had on the DL? I had the same worry about Quinton Coples when everyone and their cousin had him as the 2nd or 3rd player off the board...

Upshaw seems like a borderline 1st round high floor & not extremely high ceiling kind of player to me. JMHumbleO.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be rooting for Owusu to get drafted. We went 2-0 on the basketball court today. Nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.