• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh crap! I didn't hear Ryan Broyles tore his ACL. Ouch. Oh well; wasn't a huge fan of his anyway.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Oh yeah, forgot about Fuller. This guy strikes me as the Baldwin / Britt / Nicks of the draft. He seems to have it all but hasn't really put together a top 15 kind of career.

He is limited do to their play-calling. It seems like 90% of his passes are 10 yard outs. Swope and Tann have a love affair going on and rightfully so, the kid is always open.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What do you not like about him?

I just don't think he's anywhere close to elite in any area. He's fast, but he's not Desean Jackson fast. I don't see a great WR in him. I see an average WR. Maybe like an Antwan Randle El. The Niners already have an average WR. His name is Crabtree.

...Plus he just tore his ACL.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think he's anywhere close to elite in any area. He's fast, but he's not Desean Jackson fast. I don't see a great WR in him. I see an average WR. Maybe like an Antwan Randle El. The Niners already have an average WR. His name is Crabtree.

...Plus he just tore his ACL.

The injury definitely sets him back, but besides that i would have to disagree. So he's not DeSean Jackson fast, but who is? You don't have to have his speed when you can do the things he does. He isn't a great route runner, but he's decent enough and can make guys miss. He has an excellent sense of direction and good hands. He reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks and still has room to improve. The ACL injury will set him back, but if he checks out ok during evaluations i would love to have him. There are a lot of good WR's in this draft though so i won't be too upset if we don't take him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The injury definitely sets him back, but besides that i would have to disagree. So he's not DeSean Jackson fast, but who is? You don't have to have his speed when you can do the things he does. He isn't a great route runner, but he's decent enough and can make guys miss. He has an excellent sense of direction and good hands. He reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks and still has room to improve. The ACL injury will set him back, but if he checks out ok during evaluations i would love to have him. There are a lot of good WR's in this draft though so i won't be too upset if we don't take him.

I still want to see what we have in Kyle Williams. Broyles would be a very great slot receiver for us, but I am confident that we can still develop Williams and get just as big as an impact in Williams without wasting a single pick to acquire a slot receiver in Broyles. Btw, I am more intrigued with Broyles' teammate in Kenny Stills than I am in Broyles. Kenny Stills is bigger, faster, stronger, and has more upside.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Could Floyd pass Blackmon among WRs?
November, 8, 2011
Steve Muench

Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon (Scouts Inc. Grade: 95) has already surpassed 1,000 receiving yards for the second consecutive season and has caught at least seven passes in each game this year.

His video game like production combined with the Cowboys' historic success as a team makes it easy to see why he's Heisman candidate. His film makes it easy to see why he projects as an early-first-round pick.

Justin Blackmon knows how to bring the ball in and then shrug off defenders, but questions remain.Defenses frequently scheme to take the big play away from Blackmon, yet he still finds ways to stretch the field. His determination and ability to high-point the ball make him a threat to come down with any jump balls, and he's not a one-dimensional vertical threat, either.

Blackmon is a savvy route-runner who flashes the ability to make crisp cuts at the top of his stem against man coverage, and he can locate pockets in zone looks. While he's not overly-elusive after the catch, Blackmon is a powerful runner who uses a strong stiff-arm to keep defenders off his legs.

Blackmon isn't perfect, however. He doesn't have elite top-end speed, and while he makes strong cuts his burst out of those cuts is just average. There are also minor character concerns that stem from an alcohol related arrest in October 2010.

Notre Dame's Michael Floyd (91) is the No. 2 receiver on our board and shares some of Blackmon's flaws, including a lack of breakaway speed and ideal burst. In addition, Notre Dame suspended him during the offseason after his third alcohol-related charge in two years, and did not reinstate him until August, so the character concerns could be an even bigger issue for him.

With the Fighting Irish dropping their first two games and Floyd's production dipping a bit, it's easy to see why he's not alongside Blackmon in the Heisman race. However, the argument could be made that Floyd is the better NFL prospect.

It all starts with size. Floyd (6-foot-3, 229 pounds) is two inches taller and 18 pounds heavier than Blackmon (6-1, 211). Most receivers Floyd's size don't have great foot speed, but he is agile enough to get a clean release at the line of scrimmage and quickly start building speed with his long strides. Floyd also has the long arms, body control and big hands to make spectacular catches in jump-ball situations.

He isn't as crisp in his routes as Blackmon, but Floyd is athletic enough to improve in that area, and he has an even bigger frame to box out defenders when he's unable to separate. He runs hard after the catch as well, and has enough top-end speed to rip of a chunk of yards when he gets a seam.

The gap in production between the two is also misleading. Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden has been more consistent than Notre Dame QB Tommy Rees, and the Cowboys have thrown the ball considerably more than the Fighting Irish.

Finally, character may not have much of an impact on either player's stock when it's all said and done. Floyd has stayed out of trouble despite close scrutiny and a disappointing senior season, while Blackmon has handled success well and made news on the field instead of off it. Both players are reportedly hard workers that love the game.

In the end, both will likely be first-round picks, but Floyd's prototypical size and impressive ball skills down the field could send him past Blackmon on draft boards before we get to draft day.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my two years of watching Blackmon I have never found myself stopping and thinking, gee, Blackmon is 6'1". I'll be absolutely amazed if Floyd is drafted before Blackmon.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blackmon comes up bigger than Floyd on film. Didn't know Floyd was that big!

Blackmon should be a top 10 pick, and I could easily see Floyd falling into the 20's given his history. Blackmon hands down will be the first receiver coming off the board. Arguably a top 5 pick in this draft.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackmon also strikes me as a guy who is gonna put in insane work and run a blazing forty time come combine.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blackmon also strikes me as a guy who is gonna put in insane work and run a blazing forty time come combine.

No way! He's no more than a 4.4 at best. He's more of a 4.5 guy.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way! He's no more than a 4.4 at best. He's more of a 4.5 guy.

I don't think you understand my comment. I realize he is a 4.5 guy. I think he's going to train like a mofo and run a 4.4. That would be a blazing forty time for him, not in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackmon and Crabtree were listed about the same in college, but Blackmon looks much bigger for some reason.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO Crabtree was a better prospect (entering the draft) at this stage of their careers.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Crabtree was a better prospect (entering the draft) at this stage of their careers.

Wow, really? I don't recall you being a big supporter of Crabtree coming out of college, were you? I'd take Blackmon over Crabtree any day. I think Blackmon is the best WR to come out since Megatron (besides AJ Green).

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight Jones will be the best draft pick of the 2012 draft unless his stock goes up between now and the draft date. He's 6'4 225 good speed for his size. Catches just about everything, regardless of how awful his quarterback is. Good route runner. Drags dbs 4-5 almost every time he catches a pass. Greg Little went in the second round last year, Jones is a much better player. imo

Status
Not open for further replies.