• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does anybody really see Luke Kuechly as an elite player? I feel as if he is rated too high. He's 6'3 237, but he doesn't play like it IMO.

You don't get "elite players" every draft. You might get at most 7 elite prospects in a given year. That being said, just because he (Luke Skywalker) is not an "elite" prospect, that doesn't mean that he is not an immediate starter (impact player). He might be the next Sean Weatherspoon or Brian Cushing - he has that type of talent in terms of impact to a team.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't get "elite players" every draft. You might get at most 7 elite prospects in a given year. That being said, just because he (Luke Skywalker) is not an "elite" prospect, that doesn't mean that he is not an immediate starter (impact player). He might be the next Sean Weatherspoon or Brian Cushing - he has that type of talent in terms of impact to a team.

It's possible, but he's been right up there in all of the big boards i've seen as a top 10 prospect. I just feel that is too high for him personally. I think of him more as a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. He reminds me more of James Laurinaitis with less explosiveness.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see what you mean about his agility. That would be my biggest concern with him as well, all though i think he has the ability to get better in that area. He's a bigger more physical corner who could end up excelling in press coverage.

I like Kirkpatrick. I see him as a mid to late first round pick, but he's playing some solid football right now. The thing about those Alabama DB's that i worry about is how sound their Defense is all around and i think that probably contributes to them getting over valued at times. With that being said, Kirkpatrick is probably my favorite Bama CB to come out in recent years.

Yeah he's pretty good but he's not at that level that someone such as Langham was coming out of school. Although Langham was a complete bust as a 49er, he was a pretty solid player playing for the Browns/Ravens and finished ahead of Stubblefield as the Defensive ROY behind Tim Bowens when he declared. Kirkpatrick is close, but IMO and as a long time Crimson Tide fan, he's a shade below Langham.

Kirkpatrick has mad tools, but he doesn't have that elite speed that someone such as Deion Sanders had at FSU: if he doesn't press he can get beat and it showed in the Arkansas game last year, the South Carolina game last year, the Arkansas game this year, and against Florida this year on the very first play of that game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jonathan Martin in the top 10? I don't like it. I've never been extremely impressed by him as a pass protector.

Too bad people are really starting to take notice of Brandon Thompson. He's impressed the heck out of me. He & Cordy Glenn are a couple of my favourites (although I do have reservations about him 'cause he goes to Clemson).

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
New Topic: Is Andrew Luck still unproven?

Andrew Luck and his impenetrable OL, strong running game, great receivers (Owusu & the TEs), and lack of competitive opposing defenses has me still skeptical on Andrew Luck. While his QB-play tells me he's the next Roethlisberger, Stanford's success doesn't rely on Andrew Luck. I think Notre Dame right now is the only team on their schedule that has a defense that will test Luck's ability and that's not for another month.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen any Marshall games yet this season but I have seen that Vinny Curry is dominating again this season. He's following his 12.5 sack performance last season up with 9.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles so far this season. I like his size 6'4 260lbs and his quickness off the line. I fear that he's going to play himself into a top 20 slot, I thought we might have been able to steal him in the 2nd round (along with Cliff Harris).

Vinny Curry DE #99 Marshall - YouTube

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen any Marshall games yet this season but I have seen that Vinny Curry is dominating again this season. He's following his 12.5 sack performance last season up with 9.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles so far this season. I like his size 6'4 260lbs and his quickness off the line. I fear that he's going to play himself into a top 20 slot, I thought we might have been able to steal him in the 2nd round (along with Cliff Harris).

Vinny Curry DE #99 Marshall - YouTube

You can bet on that.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft BlogDoes Tajh Boyd project to the NFL?

October, 25, 2011
Oct 25
9:57AM ET
Email Print Comments3
By Steve Muench

Clemson QB Tajh Boyd has quickly become a viable Heisman Trophy candidate in his first year as a starter, leading the Tigers to an 8-0 start while operating the scheme of new offensive coordinator Chad Morris.

So what makes Boyd so special?

Throwing on the run is one of Tajh Boyd's biggest strengths. It starts with his natural physical tools, which jump off the screen when studying film. Boyd has the foot speed to buy time in the pocket and create passing windows, which is important because he's listed at just 6-foot-1. Defenses that force him to improvise can get burned, because he keeps his eyes downfield when on the move and can make crisp throws while rolling right or left.

Boyd also has the arm strength to get the ball to his intended target in a hurry. He has a quick release and above-average arm strength. And while Boyd's accuracy is inconsistent and he misses the strike zone at times, a look back at the Virginia Tech game revealed that he's better in this area than the numbers suggest.

While he completed just 13 of his 32 passes against the Hokies, his receivers dropped some balls they got their hands on, and he twice threw the ball away to avoid a negative play. Leaky pass protection also made it difficult to get set and follow on more than a few throws.

There's also a lot to like about Boyd's toughness. He's showing poise in the pocket and is willing to step up in the face of pressure. In addition, he turned in a strong performance against Maryland despite leaving the Boston College game with a hip injury a week earlier -- an injury that looked like it could have sidelined him for an extended period of time.

However, as good as Boyd has been, the redshirt sophomore doesn't project as an early-round pick at this point, for a number of reasons.

For starters, his inexperience shows up on film. He will lock on to his primary receiver and is still learning to read defenses. He telegraphed a throw that was picked off by Hokies CB Jayron Hosley, and he failed to see a linebacker in underneath coverage on a throw that North Carolina should have picked off.

Secondly, Boyd can zip the ball downfield but his touch on deeper throws is inconsistent, particularly outside the hashes. He also needs to work on his timing and anticipation.

Finally, Boyd benefits from an excellent supporting cast, including breakout true freshman WR Sammy Watkins, and a spread scheme that runs a fair amount of quick-hitting passes and wouldn't translate well to the NFL. That makes Boyd's inexperience an even greater concern.

While he may never completely erase these criticisms, progressing over the next year or two will help soften them, and if his improvement is great enough, Boyd's potential and physical tools could help him work his way into early-round consideration.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One of my favorite prospects:

Rueben Randle, WR, LSU Tigers

One of the matchups I'm really looking forward to seeing when No. 1 LSU and No. 2 Alabama meet Nov. 5 is the Tigers' 6-3, 208-pound wideout Randle going up against the Crimson Tide's 6-2, 192-pound CB Dre' Kirkpatrick. Both were rated No. 1 at their respective positions coming out of high school in '09 and are considered to be upper-echelon players at those positions in the 2013 draft class. The focus of this evaluation, though, is Randle. After he hauled in 55 catches for a 19.2-yard average and 11 touchdowns as a junior at Louisiana's Bastrop HS, the coaching staff opted to switch him to quarterback in 2008. He responded by amassing 3,144 total yards from scrimmage (2,461 passing yards, 683 rushing yards) and 32 touchdowns! A young man who has shown significant improvement in each of his three years with the Tigers, through eight games he has already matched his reception total (33) from last season. His 19.3 yards per catch average is almost three yards better than 2010, and his seven touchdown receptions are more than he accumulated his first two years combined (five). In the Tigers' 45-10 win over Auburn, he helped to break the game open in the second quarter with touchdown grabs of 42 and 46 yards. When looking at the top five prospects at the position from the junior class, it's Randle who has proved to be the most lethal vertical threat in 2011.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge injury for Pittsburgh. Ray Graham goes down with a knee injury. He looked like he was in real pain.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nick Foles, QB, Arizona Wildcats

While Foles' individual success hasn't translated to great team success this season, what he has been able to do is firmly establish himself as the top senior signal-caller available for the 2012 draft. In leading the Wildcats to a 48-12 drubbing of UCLA (their first win of the season against a Division I-A opponent), he completed 26 of 39 passes for 291 yards with three touchdowns and one interception. At 6-4½, 245 pounds, Foles possesses the size you look for in a QB. He has good mechanics, he's very accurate, he puts good zip on the football and he's adept at making throws on the move going to his right or left. As we witnessed against the Bruins, his decision-making could be better at times, but overall there's a lot to like about the young man when projecting him to the next level.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford Cardinal

The most impressive performance by an offensive lineman that I saw over the weekend was by Martin, Stanford's 6-foot-6, 306-pound redshirt junior. Against Washington, he showed why he's considered the second-best draft-eligible prospect at the left tackle position and a potential top-10 pick overall. Operating at that spot, you already know that the young man is very adept, since he's protecting the blind side of quarterback Andrew Luck. What he showed you on Saturday -- most notably in the first half -- is that he's also very formidable moving defenders off the line. The Cardinal rushed for 446 yards and he played a big role in that success. Used both at left tackle and on the right side, Martin played with very good leverage, sustained blocks well and he did an outstanding job of blocking on the second level. He grades out as Stanford's best pro prospect at the position since Bob Whitfield in 1992.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kawann Short, DT, Purdue Boilermakers

As a redshirt freshman in '09, Short showed promise during the spring and carried that over to the regular season. He finished with 48 tackles, four for loss, and two interceptions. The following year, he combined with Ryan Kerrigan to give the Boilermakers the most disruptive DE-DT tandem in the Big Ten. Short posted 12.5 tackles for loss and six sacks. When you combined the fact that everyone in the Big Ten was now very familiar with Short with Kerrigan's departure for the NFL, I was interested to see how he would fare with the spotlight on him in 2011. Despite the fact that he put up some impressive numbers as a sophomore, Short entered this season with a lot still to prove. He lacked the desired consistency and needed more polish from a technique standpoint. In Purdue's 21-14 victory over Illinois, the athletically gifted 6-3, 310-pounder made his presence felt. He was able to get steady penetration into the backfield. He varied his moves to get free from the opposition. And he showed a good nose for the football. The end result was 3.5 tackles for loss and two sacks. It's efforts like the one we witnessed on Saturday that make you believe he could end up becoming a good starter in the league. But in order for that to take place, the peaks and valleys need to become a thing of the past.

Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern

While on the subject of DTs, I happened to see one of the better ones at the lower level of competition as far as the 2013 draft is concerned. Listed at 6-3, 325, Missouri Southern's Brandon Williams might seem at first glance like someone who is just stout at the point. But as he showed in a 68-28 win over Southwest Baptist (2.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks), Williams also has the short-area explosiveness to make plays in the opponents' backfield. After redshirting in '09, he put himself on the radar of NFL scouts as a sophomore by finishing with 17 tackles for loss and nine sacks. He was rewarded for his impressive play by being named to three separate All-America teams. Through seven games this season, he currently leads the Lions with 14.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks. While unproven against quality competition, he has the type of raw ability (in high school he finished fifth in the state of Missouri in the discus in '06 and was a member of the basketball team) that will have area scouts for NFL teams showing up in abundance next fall.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And this kid could be the real deal:

David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State Wolfpack
After making a name for himself at the safety position in high school, Amerson found himself starting for the Wolfpack at cornerback as a true freshman. After he failed to record an interception in 2010, it was only natural to wonder if he wasn't better suited to play safety in college. While LSU's Tyrann Mathieu is the best all-around cornerback in the sophomore class, Amerson has proved to be its top ball hawk this season. In NC State's 28-14 win over Virginia, he picked off two passes, one of which went for a touchdown. For the season, he now has eight interceptions, which leads the country. At 6-2, 194, Amerson has the size to not only match up with the bigger receivers in the country but also to be a force in run support. Through seven games, he is currently fourth on the team in tackles.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: October 26, 2011

QBs, newcomers shuffling board
Four players make their debut in Scouts Inc.'s top 32 this week

By Todd McShayScouts Inc.

Archive The biggest game of Week 9 in college football is clearly the Pac-12 showdown between Stanford and USC, one that features two quarterbacks who are among our top 20 overall NFL prospects.

However, plenty of other players are also making noise on the draft board this week. Four new names appear in the latest edition of my top 32, including a pair of wide receivers, an athletic linebacker and a fast-rising running back who debuts in the top 15.
The biggest movers this week include two Stanford offensive linemen and an impressive ACC defensive lineman, while a big-name SEC defensive end takes the biggest tumble.
Here's how things shake out at this point (underclassmen noted with an asterisk):

Andrew Luck* QB
6-4 235
Analysis: Luck didn't have to do much (16-for-21, 169 yards, 2 TDs) last week in a blowout win over Washington, but he'll be on the national stage this week when Stanford heads to Los Angeles to face USC in prime time. Last week: 1

Matt Kalil* OT
6-7 295
Analysis: Kalil continues to look like the most complete offensive lineman in the 2012 class, and fans on the East Coast can get a look at his impressive skill set against Stanford. Last week: 2

Quinton Coples DE
6-6***8539; 272
Analysis: Coples had a sack last week in a loss to Clemson, and his versatility and immense pass-rush potential continue to shine through. Last week: 4

Landry Jones* QB
6-4 230
Analysis: Jones put up big numbers (412 yards, 5 TDs) in a home loss to Texas Tech but was uncharacteristically innaccurate against the Red Raiders. He has a chance to get back on track this week in a big road test at Kansas State. Last week: 3

Trent Richardson* RB
5-11 224
Analysis: No back in the nation runs harder or gains more yards after contact than Richardson, whose patience, vision and instincts are excellent complements to his combination of athleticism and power. Last week: 5

Morris Claiborne* CB
6-0 173
Analysis: Claiborne managed four tackles but was not tested much in last week's big win over Auburn. With LSU off this week, Claiborne has time to prepare for a test against Alabama and WR Marquis Maze on Nov. 5. Last week: 6

Jonathan Martin* OT
6-6 304
Analysis: Martin was one of the driving forces behind a 446-yard rushing performance in the win over Washington, consistently opening holes. Last week: 9
Manti Te'o* ILB6-2255 Analysis: The Notre Dame defense as a whole had issues in a loss to USC, but that won't hurt our evaluation of Te'o's instincts, toughness and leadership. Last week: 7

Justin Blackmon* WR
6-1 211
Analysis: Blackmon caught eight passes, including a touchdown, before leaving last week's win over Missouri with concussion-like symptoms. He's probable for this week's showdown with Baylor, a team that ranks 84th in the FBS in pass defense. Last week: 10

Brandon Thompson DT
6-2***8539; 304
Analysis: Thompson was strong in a win over North Carolina and has a chance to show off his motor and quickness this week against Georgia Tech's triple-option attack. Last week: 13

Vontaze Burfict* ILB
6-3 252
Analysis: Burfict has done it all to this point, piling up 36 tackles (5.5 TFL), four sacks, four pass breakups and an interception. Last week: 12

Riley Reiff* OT
6-6 300
Analysis: Reiff continues to show the ability to create movement in the running game and slide-and-mirror against pass-rushers. Last week: 11

Luke Kuechly* ILB
6-2 235
Analysis: He's not the greatest athlete, but Kuechly's instincts, discipline and angles allow him to be one of the most productive defensive players in the country. Last week: 8

Dre Kirkpatrick* CB
6-2½ 190
Analysis: Kirkpatrick was solid in a big win over Tennessee and now has an open date to prepare for a likely matchup against LSU's Rueben Randle on Nov. 5. Last week: 14

Lamar Miller RB
5-11 214
Analysis: Miller led Miami with six rushing touchdowns last season, but the redshirt sophomore has been even more impressive this season. He's averaging 5.8 yards per carry in 2011 and has already matched his touchdown total from 2010. Last week: NR

Alameda Ta'amu DT
6-2***8540; 334
Analysis: Ta'amu specializes in anchoring against the run, but even his size, power and agility couldn't prevent Stanford from running over the Huskies last week. Last week: 16

Janoris Jenkins CB
5-9***8542; 177
Analysis: Questions about maturity and discipline aren't going away just yet, but Jenkins continues to make plays and show impressive cover skills. Last week: 18

Matt Barkley* QB
6-2 220
Analysis: Barkley was efficient on his way to 224 yards and three touchdowns against Notre Dame, and he has nine touchdown passes in his last three games. The showdown with Stanford and Luck will be a good measuring stick for Barkley. Last week: 22

Michael Floyd WR
6-3 229
Analysis: Floyd has shown improved explosiveness and quickness this season, but he was held in check (four catches, 28 yards) last week against USC. Last week: 15

David DeCastro* G
6-4½ 314
Analysis: DeCastro is the most dominant interior offensive lineman in the nation, and his efforts are a big reason Stanford averages better than 219 rushing yards per game. Last week: 26

Alfonzo Dennard CB
5-9¾ 204
Analysis: Dennard hasn't been tested much this season, but he'll need his speed, athleticism and strength this week against Michigan State's solid wide receiver corps. Last week: 20

Courtney Upshaw OLB
6-1¾ 271
Analysis: Seven tackles and a sack against Tennessee made for a solid outing, but Upshaw's impressive ability to hold the point against the run will be put to the test in two weeks against LSU. Last week: 21

Alshon Jeffery* WR
6-4 232
Analysis: His speed is not elite and his production is down a bit, but there's no questioning Jeffery's smooth athleticism, impressive hands and good body control. Last week: 23

Kendall Reyes DT
6-3***8542; 291
Analysis: Reyes has 11 tackles for loss and four sacks, good production for an interior player, and he shows the versatility to kick outside to end in a three-man front. Last week: 24

Melvin Ingram DE
6-2¼ 272
Analysis: Ingram is second in the SEC with 5.5 sacks, and his knack for making big plays continues to show up. Last week: 19

Ronnell Lewis* OLB
6-2 245
Analysis: Lewis is in the middle of a breakout season. He has an impressive combination of burst, lateral agility and body control when bending the edge. Last week: 25

Mark Barron S
6-1½ 223
Analysis: Barron is an experienced player who diagnoses quickly in coverage, has good instincts and hands, and fills hard in run support. Last week: 27

Kevin Reddick* OLB
6-2½ 230
Analysis: Reddick comes with some off-field concerns, but he shows good instincts against the run, is strong at the point of attack and is improving in coverage. Also plays with a relentless attitude. Last week: 30

Dwayne Allen* TE
6-4½ 255
Analysis: Allen had another touchdown catch in a win over North Carolina, continuing to show off his impressive speed and body control. Last week: 31
Nick Toon WR6-1½ 213 Analysis: Toon is a savvy route-runner with good hands and strength. Shows the toughness to go over the middle and is tough to bring down after the catch. Last week: NR

Zach Brown DE
6-2¼ 232
Analysis: Brown is undersized but is an impressive athlete with rare upside. He has sideline-to-sideline range and the quick feet to operate well in confined areas. Last week: NR

Jeff Fuller WR
6-3¾ 217
Analysis: Fuller runs solid routes, has good hands and attacks the ball in the air. He also tracks the deep ball well and is strong after the catch. Last week: NR

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com news: College Stock Watch: Can't-miss label sticks to two Tar Heels

The next Nnamdi?

N.C. State's David Amerson* could be the next Nnamdi Asomugha. After watching Amerson pick off eight passes in eight games, I'm convinced the sophomore cornerback has the potential to emerge as a premier cover corner by the end of his collegiate career.

At 6-foot-3, 194 pounds, Amerson possesses the length and athleticism to match up with big, physical receivers. His impeccable timing, awareness and length are also apparent in press coverage. He quickly stabs receivers with strong jams, which disrupts the timing of their routes and leads to tighter coverage down the field. Even though he isn't a blazer by pro standards (mid-4.5 40), his ability to aggressively maul receivers at the line and cut off their angles lessens the importance of pure speed.

Amerson is at his best, however, in zone coverage. He displays excellent instincts, awareness and ball skills. He has a knack for reading routes and anticipating throws and shows surprisingly polished footwork for a corner of his size. With a gambler's instinct to match his fundamentally sound game, he has tallied two picks in three separate games, including a two-interception performance against Virginia that included a pick-six.

Although it is still too early to dub Amerson as college football's top corner, he has a skill set that makes him look like an Asomugha clone at this stage of his development.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

even without Luck, they're still THREE 1st round QB's. there's a small chance a good one falls to the 20's? if he doesn't fit what Harbaugh wants, then just pass.

Newton, Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, and Dalton all went last year, so these teams aren't likely to draft QB again.

Indy got Manning, St Louis Bradford, leaving Miami pressing hard for a QB. ok maybe Washington and/or Denver?

would Seattle take one so soon after trading for BOTH Whitehurst and Jackson?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So what would you think about drafting Janoris Jenkins in the 1st if he fell that far this year? Haven't seen his name in the news this year. Maybe take advantage of a really talented guy who fell because he's been a dummy?

...or has Culliver made it so a starting CB isn't a need? Is he that good already?

My dream would be to get a QB, but 2nd on my wish list is a true #1 WR. The Niners aren't gonna draft hihg enough to get Blackmon, and Floyd is just as big a character risk as Jenkins. Whad'ya think?

...Oh yeah, forgot about Fuller. This guy strikes me as the Baldwin / Britt / Nicks of the draft. He seems to have it all but hasn't really put together a top 15 kind of career.

Status
Not open for further replies.