• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two teams did indeed trade up last year and it didn't turn out well for the Rams and the jury is still out on Wentz, who struggled down the stretch. You mentioned how stupid the Jets are, but how about the Niners? How about the AJ Jenkins selection? How about Brandon Thomas, Lattimore and all the players who were drafted that had major injuries? How about drafting CBs left and right and not drafting an ILB or a QB earlier last year instead on waiting until the 6th round? That makes the Niners look stupid too. The Rams and Eagles gave up a lot to draft a QB last year, but in the Eagles' case, they were able to recoup a couple of those draft picks from the Bradford trade.

As Deep mentioned before, why would any of those teams trade up for a QB if the Browns and the Niners do not draft one? Last year there wasn't a Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen or Rueben Foster? The Bears know one of the QB's will fall to them no matter what the Browns and Niners do with their picks.

The Rams could use the fifth pick of this draft to get Williams to help Gofff, but now the Titans are in a great position. The Browns have the #1 and #11 pick so they have the luxury of waiting for a QB. You maybe right about some team trading up for a QB after the combine and individual workouts, but IMO, the teams drafting after the Browns and the Niners will wait for the QB's to fall on their laps. Theses QB's are not considered franchise QBs like an Elway or Manning.

I will agree they have made some stupid picks at times in the draft but typically even with the current or some what current regime they've done well enough when picking this high, maybe Alex Smith being the exception.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what happen last year. No one thought people would trade up for Those 2 QBs. U never know. Also remember Cards, Houston, Chargers and Wash(if they don't want Cousin) might take a QB. We don't know yet. Yes Browns and 49ers need a QB bad but jets and bears are in the same boat. We all know how stupid the Jets are. They might trade up to take their guy.

Well, as far as the Jets go, one huge question is have they already given up on Hackenberg? They spent a 2nd round pick on him just last year, giving up on a 2nd rounder in such a short period of time would be a huge blow to them. Of course, to anyone paying attention at the time, spending a 2nd rounder on Hackenberg at the time was a hugely foolish move. Fourth round might have been too high for him. But flushing him away already? If they're prepared to do that, then yeah, they HAVE to be in the QB market. If they still think he has potential, though, then they may look to other positions.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two teams did indeed trade up last year and it didn't turn out well for the Rams and the jury is still out on Wentz, who struggled down the stretch. You mentioned how stupid the Jets are, but how about the Niners? How about the AJ Jenkins selection? How about Brandon Thomas, Lattimore and all the players who were drafted that had major injuries?

Ok, I'm going to disagree just a little here. I still, even after it didn't work out, don't have any problem with drafting Lattimore. He was potentially a generational talent. IF he could come back, the Niners might have a great RB on their hands. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Too bad, but nothing wrong with rolling the dice on this one.

The problem was, Baalke turned out to have a fetish about drafting injured guys. He had this thing about injured players. He'd see one and start to get...well, he'd get this feeling that just had to be satisfied. It was overwhelming this excitement he'd feel. He couldn't help himself, he'd just HAVE to draft one if there was one out there. Hell, if he could get two, or even better, THREE...that made him feel that much better. It was the itch that HAD to be scratched.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'm going to disagree just a little here. I still, even after it didn't work out, don't have any problem with drafting Lattimore. He was potentially a generational talent. IF he could come back, the Niners might have a great RB on their hands. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Too bad, but nothing wrong with rolling the dice on this one.

The problem was, Baalke turned out to have a fetish about drafting injured guys. He had this thing about injured players. He'd see one and start to get...well, he'd get this feeling that just had to be satisfied. It was overwhelming this excitement he'd feel. He couldn't help himself, he'd just HAVE to draft one if there was one out there. Hell, if he could get two, or even better, THREE...that made him feel that much better. It was the itch that HAD to be scratched.

Good one. It was like an addiction to him. It was said that he had a wine cellar in his home. I don't know if he was drunk when he was doing the draft, but he just could not stop drafting injured players or CBs. What really set the Niners back was the terrrible draft on 2012 and the so-so draft on 2013. Only Eric Reid has panned out, while Carradine, McDonald, Patton and Lemonier have been disappointments. Dial, a fifth rounder has been a pleasant surprise.

I could see your thinking on Lattirmore, but he had two major injuries in college. Baalke took a chance and lost. Let's hope Lynch and Shanahan do a better job evaluating talent.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good one. It was like an addiction to him. It was said that he had a wine cellar in his home. I don't know if he was drunk when he was doing the draft, but he just could not stop drafting injured players or CBs. What really set the Niners back was the terrrible draft on 2012 and the so-so draft on 2013. Only Eric Reid has panned out, while Carradine, McDonald, Patton and Lemonier have been disappointments. Dial, a fifth rounder has been a pleasant surprise.

I could see your thinking on Lattirmore, but he had two major injuries in college. Baalke took a chance and lost. Let's hope Lynch and Shanahan do a better job evaluating talent.

I think the ACL was part of an overall Baalke strategy where he thought he was outsmarting everyone else. He was always looking for value. Whether it was an ACL issue, or the player in question had great physical talents but was not a proven football player. Baalke seemed to draft BPA and almost ignore need which you just can't do in the NFL. the 49ers drafted a boat load of secondary players and tight ends another year while ignoring the skill positions.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the ACL was part of an overall Baalke strategy where he thought he was outsmarting everyone else. He was always looking for value. Whether it was an ACL issue, or the player in question had great physical talents but was not a proven football player. Baalke seemed to draft BPA and almost ignore need which you just can't do in the NFL. the 49ers drafted a boat load of secondary players and tight ends another year while ignoring the skill positions.

I just didn't understand that logic. You have Celek and McDonald and then you draft Bell in 2015 in the 4th round and of course another injured player in Smelter. :gaah: Just like like year, he didn't address LB or WR until the 6th round.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just didn't understand that logic. You have Celek and McDonald and then you draft Bell in 2015 in the 4th round and of course another injured player in Smelter. :gaah: Just like like year, he didn't address LB or WR until the 6th round.
Exactly. And Bell was a converted QB. Baalke also drafted Will Redmond in the 4th round last year. Another corner who spent the year on IR and could have drafted Dak Prescott with that pick

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/c6666d86-e10a-3f38-a6ea-de832499241a/ss_2017-nfl-draft:.html

Niners may consider Reuben Foster at #2. He's stout against the run, but needs some work on pass coverage. He will miss the combine due to shoulder surgery. If the Niners switch to 4-3 and he's an ILB, where will he play? Bowman is the ILB , assuming he's fully recovered from his injury.

Another article said he rated 5th best on pass coverage? So ok, every player can always work on something, but it isn't as though he's bad at it.

We sure hope Bowman is back near his old self, but there is no guarantee HE can still cover RB's and TE's? So Foster might not be the MLB this year, but he might be sooner than we think. My concern with Foster is his many injuries, apparently he has had more than few?

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, the mock drafts start to make my head spin if I read enough of them. Depending on which one you read, they have the 49ers taking Allen, Foster, or a QB.

I really think it's between Foster or Allen, unless both Lynch and Shanahan are just so enamored with one of the QB's. Maybe a team really covets Foster or Allen and the Niners can trade back a few spots and still draft in the top ten. PIck up a couple of draft picks along the way.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another article said he rated 5th best on pass coverage? So ok, every player can always work on something, but it isn't as though he's bad at it.

We sure hope Bowman is back near his old self, but there is no guarantee HE can still cover RB's and TE's? So Foster might not be the MLB this year, but he might be sooner than we think. My concern with Foster is his many injuries, apparently he has had more than few?

I think he's had a couple of concussions in college so that scares me a little bit. I don't want a repeat of Borland, though I respect his decision to retire. It was a personal choice.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really think it's between Foster or Allen, unless both Lynch and Shanahan are just so enamored with one of the QB's. Maybe a team really covets Foster or Allen and the Niners can trade back a few spots and still draft in the top ten. PIck up a couple of draft picks along the way.

As much as i would want to trade down a few spots, just don't see it? Only a QB could justify a team trading up, and we know there isn't one worthy.

So at #2 we have to take BPA and agree it appears to be Foster or Allen. I DO have concerns with the injuries Foster has accumulated, but that will be checked out at the combine.

Just our luck, we gain #2 overall and there's no QB worth it?! Then on top of that, there isn't a 'monster' EDGE guy either?! MAYBE they value Soloman Thomas, Tim Allen, or Derrick Barnett at #2? but ok, don't force one here.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as i would want to trade down a few spots, just don't see it? Only a QB could justify a team trading up, and we know there isn't one worthy.

So at #2 we have to take BPA and agree it appears to be Foster or Allen. I DO have concerns with the injuries Foster has accumulated, but that will be checked out at the combine.

Just our luck, we gain #2 overall and there's no QB worth it?! Then on top of that, there isn't a 'monster' EDGE guy either?! MAYBE they value Soloman Thomas, Tim Allen, or Derrick Barnett at #2? but ok, don't force one here.

I'm anxious to see how Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen, and Derrick Barnett do at the combine. I know I can't get caught up with the numbers, but there are certain drills for the linemen that can tell you the certain things like the pass rush drill, body control drill, 4 bag agility drill and so forth.

Yes, just our luck there isn't a QB drafting in the top 5 or maybe a couple of pass rusher. The 2nd win against the Rams cost the Niners the top pick. But I think Allen or Foster have the potential to become very good players and eventually make several Pro Bowls. Either one will be a huge upgrade to the defense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm anxious to see how Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen, and Derrick Barnett do at the combine. I know I can't get caught up with the numbers, but there are certain drills for the linemen that can tell you the certain things like the pass rush drill, body control drill, 4 bag agility drill and so forth.

Yes, just our luck there isn't a QB drafting in the top 5 or maybe a couple of pass rusher. The 2nd win against the Rams cost the Niners the top pick. But I think Allen or Foster have the potential to become very good players and eventually make several Pro Bowls. Either one will be a huge upgrade to the defense.

Yeah ok, we won't fill a critical Need spot, but just choose wisely whomever it is. We can use a top player in either Allen or Foster.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ok, we won't fill a critical Need spot, but just choose wisely whomever it is. We can use a top player in either Allen or Foster.

The Redskins franchised Kirk Cousins yesterday (exclusive) for the 2nd consecutive year and is set to earn almost 24 mil this upcoming season. He's not worth the money, but I can't blame him for getting as much as he can. His stock is high right now and he wants to get paid especially he was a 4th rounder. His stats are great but he hasn't led his team to anything except for a division title in 2016. I would prefer Garoppolo since he is yourger and is in his last year of his original contract. The Niners can see how Garoppolo plays this season to see if he's worth the investment.

I'm curious to see how Cousins does once Jackson and Garcon sign with other teams. Will he still produce or are his stats just inflated.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins franchised Kirk Cousins yesterday (exclusive) for the 2nd consecutive year and is set to earn almost 24 mil this upcoming season. He's not worth the money, but I can't blame him for getting as much as he can. His stock is high right now and he wants to get paid especially he was a 4th rounder. His stats are great but he hasn't led his team to anything except for a division title in 2016. I would prefer Garoppolo since he is yourger and is in his last year of his original contract. The Niners can see how Garoppolo plays this season to see if he's worth the investment.

I'm curious to see how Cousins does once Jackson and Garcon sign with other teams. Will he still produce or are his stats just inflated.

I posted this in another thread, but it is interesting reading.

How the Kirk Cousins drama changes everything

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well what type of investment are you talking about because they would have to trade for him to see him play and if they give up multiple early picks then you aren't really seeing if he's worth the investment you are already investing.