• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Nah, don't like this draft scenario. Shouldn't we be drafting an OLB with pass rush skills? Big possession receivers can be had after Round 3? I'd rather draft another QB late, than a RB, FB, or DL.

DRAFT PICKS:

1. LB Reuben Foster, Alabama. A future All Pro and the next Patrick Willis. Foster will play weak-side linebacker if the 49ers switch to a 4-3 defense as they should and probably will.

2. LB Haason Reddick, Temple. A strong-side linebacker who will play alongside Foster and Bowman. The Niners will fill their holes at linebacker with their first two picks.

3. WR Juju Smith-Schuster, USC. A big possession receiver who makes tough catches over the middle. Think Mohamed Sanu of the Falcons.

4a. RB Wayne Gallman, Clemson. A slender running back with breakaway speed who fits Shanahan’s outside-zone running game. Gallman will be the starting running back in 2018 after Carlos Hyde becomes a free agent.

4b. CB Marquez White, Florida St. A big corner who will replace Tramaine Brock in 2018 after Brock becomes a free agent.

5a. OT Connor McDermott, UCLA. A potential replacement for Joe Staley in a few years .

5b. WR Kermit Whitfield, Florida St. A speed receiver who also runs jet sweeps and returns kicks, similar to Tyreek Hill of the Kansas City Chiefs.

6a. QB Jerod Evans, Virginia Tech. A dual-threat quarterback who needs time to develop and won’t cost the Niners a high draft pick.

6b. RB Justin Davis, USC. Another slender running back who fits Shanahan’s outside-zone running game. Davis and Gallman will become the 49ers’ version of the running back tandem in Atlanta — Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman.

7a. FB Freddie Stevenson, Florida State. Chip Kelly didn’t use fullbacks, but Shanahan does, and Stevenson is the best one in the draft.

7b. DL D.J. Jones, Ole Miss. A shaded nose tackle who will back up Dorsey and Dial.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Foster but I don't know if we take at #2. I do think Foster will be a beast.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Foster but I don't know if we take at #2. I do think Foster will be a beast.

I too like Foster, but that maybe a tad high for him. He's projected to go top 10 so if the Niner truly covets him, maybe they can trade back three or four spots. No QB selected until the 6th round so it leads me to believe that the Niners will try to sign one through FA.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mitch Trubisky really loves Cleveland

Don't see any team trading up to #2 because this QB class isn't considered good. But to now i never thought about Cleveland trading up using their second 1st round pick (plus others)? Didn't think of them because they pick before us at #1, so it was who else besides?

Ok, this isn't likely either, but if we want to trade down, IMO this would be he only team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With NFL draft class looking weak, what are 49ers' other QB options?

dang! we get a HIGH pick and this is a weak QB class?! Ok, guess i will take Option 2, draft a QB after Round 1. Lets not force a QB at #2 overall.

i can believe that Watson is 'leader of men' with lots of intangibles. He played well against Bama's top D TWICE, in the brightest of college lights. So we know he has some intangibles going for him. But unless he has the main intangibles such as quick decision making, #2 overall seems tough?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too like Foster, but that maybe a tad high for him. He's projected to go top 10 so if the Niner truly covets him, maybe they can trade back three or four spots. No QB selected until the 6th round so it leads me to believe that the Niners will try to sign one through FA.

I'm hearing Schaub, the Falcons back up. Also if they like Foster and he's a top 10 pick then take him at #2 if they can't trade back because there is no guarantee that someone won't draft him depending on how far they move back.

Last edited:

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing Schaub, the Falcons back up. Also if they like Foster and he's a top 10 pick then take him at #2 if they can't trade back because there is no guarantee that someone won't draft him depending on how far they move back.

Since there isn't a QB that is a consensus top three pick, I don't think there will be any trades. If that's the case, I think the Niners should pick Foster if he's the Niners choice. A little high but he's been compared to Patrick Willis so that he should improve the LB core immediately. Regarding Schaub, he may come cheap and allow the rookie QB which I think Shanahan and Lynch will draft sit out a year and learn the ropes.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since there isn't a QB that is a consensus top three pick, I don't think there will be any trades. If that's the case, I think the Niners should pick Foster if he's the Niners choice. A little high but he's been compared to Patrick Willis so that he should improve the LB core immediately. Regarding Schaub, he may come cheap and allow the rookie QB which I think Shanahan and Lynch will draft sit out a year and learn the ropes.
Schaub would be the likely FA . 35 years old and just enough experience that the 9ers don't need to spend a fortune until the real QB emerges.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Steve Palazzolo’s analysis:

Another team in need of a quarterback, the 49ers are also lacking a clean fit for new Head Coach Kyle Shanahan’s system. The next-best player on the draft board is Alabama interior defensive lineman Jonathan Allen, but with San Francisco’s last two first-round picks coming at a similar position, there are questions about fitting those pieces together efficiently. Instead, San Francisco goes with Allen’s teammate, Foster, to add a three-down presence that will remind fans of Patrick Willis or NaVorro Bowman in their prime. Foster was the nation’s top-graded linebacker, earning a 93.3 overall mark, leading the way against the run at 91.7 and ranking fifth in coverage, at 87.3. With the ability to defeat blocks in the run game and stick with running backs in coverage, Foster’s three-down versatility comes at a time when the league covets it more than ever in an era of spread-heavy offenses.

Wow, he was good in coverage too.

So how much of his run stopping was due to teammates? That is what Lynch and Staff is for.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schaub would be the likely FA . 35 years old and just enough experience that the 9ers don't need to spend a fortune until the real QB emerges.

I read somewhere they are looking at Schaub as a backup and not a starter. We only have one QB under contract next year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read somewhere they are looking at Schaub as a backup and not a starter. We only have one QB under contract next year.

IF they intend to draft a QB within the first two rounds, i'd just sign Schaub. If they intend to draft a QB after Round 2, then i'd consider two vets. Two vets similar to Schaub just to bridge one year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF they intend to draft a QB within the first two rounds, i'd just sign Schaub. If they intend to draft a QB after Round 2, then i'd consider two vets. Two vets similar to Schaub just to bridge one year.

From what I've read the reason for having Schaub is that he knows Shanahan's offense well having previously played for Shanahan so he would be valuable almost like a coach on the field as the team is implementing the offense.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to have cover for one year? Really?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read the reason for having Schaub is that he knows Shanahan's offense well having previously played for Shanahan so he would be valuable almost like a coach on the field as the team is implementing the offense.
Yea possible to be able to evaluate the new talent to see who will fit in.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to have cover for one year? Really?

yes, but note the scenario of when we intend to draft a QB.

Schaub and Hoyer combined won't cost THAT much. We drop one after one season and who knows, maybe they'll have to bridge a season and a half?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, the 49ers could use a later pick to bring in a young quarterback after the first round – a less costly gamble. Derek Carr, across the bay, was a second-round pick. Russell Wilson and Joe Montana were third-round picks.

“You’ve got to see what’s available,” Shanahan said on KNBR. “If there is a quarterback there that we believe can match that criteria and we believe he can be a franchise quarterback for us, then, of course, you don’t hesitate on that. But if you don’t see that and there’s other good players – if there’s a pass rusher, if there’s a linebacker, if there’s an O-lineman – whatever it is, you need to get the best player possible who you think will help your team the next 10 years."

Source: Shanahan: Franchise QB Isn't a Must for 49ers in 2017 | NBC Bay Area Shanahan: Franchise QB Isn't a Must for 49ers in 2017

Yes, Yes, Yes. ie over their career, not this season.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the 49ers could use a later pick to bring in a young quarterback after the first round – a less costly gamble. Derek Carr, across the bay, was a second-round pick. Russell Wilson and Joe Montana were third-round picks.

“You’ve got to see what’s available,” Shanahan said on KNBR. “If there is a quarterback there that we believe can match that criteria and we believe he can be a franchise quarterback for us, then, of course, you don’t hesitate on that. But if you don’t see that and there’s other good players – if there’s a pass rusher, if there’s a linebacker, if there’s an O-lineman – whatever it is, you need to get the best player possible who you think will help your team the next 10 years."

Source: Shanahan: Franchise QB Isn't a Must for 49ers in 2017 | NBC Bay Area Shanahan: Franchise QB Isn't a Must for 49ers in 2017

Yes, Yes, Yes. ie over their career, not this season.

Already...we're light years away from where we were hahahahaa. A lot remains to be seen still and we'll have to wait but I like the forward thinking and approach. We have been a bit all over the place in terms of FA and the draft the past few years...that in conjunction with our FO being a complete mess has left us in shambles for the most part.