• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just remember that the 9ers will be rebuilding so no need to sign any FA who wants big money. We are at least 3 years out if we get the HC and GM that can make it work.

I agree with big money, now is not the time.

It could be 2 years out, should we get lucky on the QB.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember that the 9ers will be rebuilding so no need to sign any FA who wants big money. We are at least 3 years out if we get the HC and GM that can make it work.

I guess it all depends on who that FA is. Regardless....players coming to SF will probably be overpaid more than most any other destination given the state of the franchise and the ridiculous costs of living. If it's a young guy on the rise that could really be a quality part of the future, then I'd have no issues with it.

SF is sitting on a pile of cash - a pile that's only getting bigger this offseason - might as well use it (wisely).

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he's not asking #1 receiver money. Gabriel would help since he has familiarity with Shanahan. The biggest problem is who will throw to him.

That will be the key if he isn't asking to be paid like the best WR in football but he would certainly be the best WR on the team, considering I don't like too many of the options at WR.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will be the key if he isn't asking to be paid like the best WR in football but he would certainly be the best WR on the team, considering I don't like too many of the options at WR.

Kerley was the only receiver that produced last season. Torey Smith has been a huge disappointment (needs to be traded or cut), Patton has very little growth, Ellington is oft injured, Burbridge was a late round draft pick who never really got a chance. Niners need at least two or more receivers to compete for spots next season. Don't overpay like they did on Torey Smith.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depends on who that FA is. Regardless....players coming to SF will probably be overpaid more than most any other destination given the state of the franchise and the ridiculous costs of living. If it's a young guy on the rise that could really be a quality part of the future, then I'd have no issues with it.

SF is sitting on a pile of cash - a pile that's only getting bigger this offseason - might as well use it (wisely).
No need to pay a high price for any FA as it will be at least 3 years even with a great coaching staff to turn this team into a winner. Why worry about any FA now? How good will they be three years in?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerley was the only receiver that produced last season. Torey Smith has been a huge disappointment (needs to be traded or cut), Patton has very little growth, Ellington is oft injured, Burbridge was a late round draft pick who never really got a chance. Niners need at least two or more receivers to compete for spots next season. Don't overpay like they did on Torey Smith.
Still pissed about Patton but I agree. Smith needs to be gone right now.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to pay a high price for any FA as it will be at least 3 years even with a great coaching staff to turn this team into a winner. Why worry about any FA now? How good will they be three years in?

That depends on the age and skill set of the player if they are on the younger side of their prime like Justin Smith was then regardless of the current shape of the team they should add them or at least try to. They have too much cap space that they have to spend.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That depends on the age and skill set of the player if they are on the younger side of their prime like Justin Smith was then regardless of the current shape of the team they should add them or at least try to. They have too much cap space that they have to spend.
Three years is a lifetime to an average player. Which FA do you think would be willing to sign on?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not necessarily a need, but like I said...if a young guy on the rise signed here, I wouldn't be upset. Regardless, we'll be 'overpaying' but FA is designed to help those downtrodden franchises to rebound. I certainly don't wanna go the old Dan Snyder route and sign everyone under the sun, but there is more than enough money on tap to entice some players and pay our own if/when the time comes.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three years is a lifetime to an average player. Which FA do you think would be willing to sign on?

Well a few guys, like Jeffery, Eric Berry, JPP, and Jabaal Sheard might be worth bringing in.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Don't mind them spending on FA's, just not on the 'top tier' ones. I wouldn't sign any of the 'first wave' of free agents, because they get overpaid the most.

BTW - The 49er's have a lot of cap space, but that isn't the same as a pile of cash. If there is one good thing Baalke did, was establish a lot of cap space. Most GM's would've gone for it in free agency, to save their job.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - The 49er's have a lot of cap space, but that isn't the same as a pile of cash.

What's the difference? If they have a lot of cap space, they have a ton of cash available to spend.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's the difference? If they have a lot of cap space, they have a ton of cash available to spend.

I'm referring to what these terms mean, not whether the 49ers have money or not.

'Cap space' defines an amount of money you can spend on players. Pile of Cash means you have a lot of cash on hand.

For EXAMPLE, if a team is very poor for whatever reasons, then they don't have a pile of cash. So while they're permitted to spend (if they had it) up to the maximum amount of the cap, they can't. So in this example, having cap space doesn't mean you have a pile of cash.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Derek Barnett, Edge, Tennessee
An influx of youth is much-needed up front for Carolina and Barnett is a perfect fit. His on-field production has been on par with Myles Garrett during their three years in the SEC, and while Garrett may have a bit more room to grow at the next level, Barnett has plenty of tools to succeed. Barnett is strong against the run, more than capable of holding up on the edge on early downs, and he’s improved his ability to get to the quarterback each season, culminating in his winning the PFF Pass-Rusher of the Year Award in 2016.

If we went this way at #2, i'd be happy with it. On offense it is the QB and on defense it is the OLB, with pass rush ability. So he is a three down OLB who can rush when needed.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I don't understand that at all since all we are talking about is FA and the money involved to spend on said FA's and your own players. If you have a lot of cap space (the Niners do) then you are sitting on a pile of cash that can only be spent on players.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm referring to what these terms mean, not whether the 49ers have money or not.

'Cap space' defines an amount of money you can spend on players. Pile of Cash means you have a lot of cash on hand.

For EXAMPLE, if a team is very poor for whatever reasons, then they don't have a pile of cash. So while they're permitted to spend (if they had it) up to the maximum amount of the cap, they can't. So in this example, having cap space doesn't mean you have a pile of cash.

NFL teams have the money to spend up to or very nearly to the cap limit and to suggest that the 49ers might not is laughable.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL teams have the money to spend up to or very nearly to the cap limit and to suggest that the 49ers might not is laughable.

read again, i said i'm referring to what the terms mean, not how much money they have. maybe your reading comprehension is laughable? :nono:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked now if we didn't draft a QB with the 1st pick. 1st time GM and 1st time HC who is offensive minded. Should be interesting

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read again, i said i'm referring to what the terms mean, not how much money they have. maybe your reading comprehension is laughable? :nono:

Who gives a damn about the meaning of the term, like I said NFL teams have the money coming in to spend up to the Cap and still make money so they should in theory have the cash to spend, not to mention the York's milked the NFL cow for years before spending much so money should be a problem. NFL isn't structured like MLB, or European Football where you rich and poor teams. The fact that you are bringing it up is laughable really. Can you comprehend that?

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that the 49ers have a significant amount of CAP space to spend on FA. I don't want another Torey Smith signing. That was a waste of money. On the other hand, maybe the Niners can get lucky and sign a Justin Smith type who played every down like it was his last down in the NFL. Niners will have to overpay, but spend the money wisely. Signing a couple of good free agents should help the team, but not enough to win the division or make the playoffs. This is a total overhaul and it will require time and patience. That's the reason for the six-year deals. Jed has put all his eggs on the Shanahan and Lynch basket. Both are here for a while and I commend Jed for that. He's learned that changing coaches year after year doesn't make any sense. My hope is that after he hires both, he GETS OUT OF THE WAY and just signs the checks.