• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers taking another D-lineman in NFL draft's first round is not crazy

If....IF Allen is our clear BPA, i'd be ok with this. Because this means we're drafting the maximum talent.

If we go to a 4-3, isn't there room for Allen plus an NT? The NT would come out of passing downs, not Allen. Who knows in 2-3 years, we MIGHT need Allen to shift to DE?

If Allen is the clear choice for the 2nd pick, I wouldn't mind it all. He's stout against the run and rushes the passer. Niners need help stopping the run. They were the worst against the run last year. Then maybe draft a pass rusher on the 2nd day of the draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Allen is the clear choice for the 2nd pick, I wouldn't mind it all. He's stout against the run and rushes the passer. Niners need help stopping the run. They were the worst against the run last year. Then maybe draft a pass rusher on the 2nd day of the draft.

Here are the main benefits of the 4-3 Over:

1. The 6-technique (6t) defensive end lines up across from the tight end — an advantage for the defense, because most tight ends these days aren’t quality blockers and cannot handle 260-pound defensive ends. It’s difficult for the offense to run the ball off tackle toward the tight end when he’s getting mauled by the 6-technique.
  2. The 4-technique (4i) defensive end is big — between 275 and 300 pounds — and lines up on the weak side of the defense across from an offensive tackle. It’s difficult for the offense to run the ball to the weak side when the offensive tackle is trying to hold his ground against a defensive end who’s as big as a defensive tackle.
  3. The strong safety and weakside linebacker stand near the line of scrimmage, creating an 8-man box. It’s difficult for the offense to run the ball into an 8-man box.
Here are the players the 49ers might use in this defense:

6t: Aaron Lynch
3t: DeForest Buckner
1t: Free agent (Maybe Earl Mitchell)
4i: Arik Armstead
WLB: Free agent (Maybe Malcolm Smith)
MLB: NaVorro Bowman
SLB: Ray Ray Armstrong
SS: Draft pick (Maybe Jamal Adams)
FS: Jimmie Ward
LCB: Tramaine Brock
RCB: Rashard Robinson

if...IF we draft Allen, i'd think he could play the 4i and/or 6t? ie place him and Armstead in their best DE spots. This isn't me saying DO draft Allen, but i'd think it could work well should if we go that way.

If Garrett wasn't in this draft, would Allen be the "consensus" no. 1 pick?

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the main benefits of the 4-3 Over:

1. The 6-technique (6t) defensive end lines up across from the tight end — an advantage for the defense, because most tight ends these days aren’t quality blockers and cannot handle 260-pound defensive ends. It’s difficult for the offense to run the ball off tackle toward the tight end when he’s getting mauled by the 6-technique.
  2. The 4-technique (4i) defensive end is big — between 275 and 300 pounds — and lines up on the weak side of the defense across from an offensive tackle. It’s difficult for the offense to run the ball to the weak side when the offensive tackle is trying to hold his ground against a defensive end who’s as big as a defensive tackle.
  3. The strong safety and weakside linebacker stand near the line of scrimmage, creating an 8-man box. It’s difficult for the offense to run the ball into an 8-man box.
Here are the players the 49ers might use in this defense:

6t: Aaron Lynch
3t: DeForest Buckner
1t: Free agent (Maybe Earl Mitchell)
4i: Arik Armstead
WLB: Free agent (Maybe Malcolm Smith)
MLB: NaVorro Bowman
SLB: Ray Ray Armstrong
SS: Draft pick (Maybe Jamal Adams)
FS: Jimmie Ward
LCB: Tramaine Brock
RCB: Rashard Robinson

if...IF we draft Allen, i'd think he could play the 4i and/or 6t? ie place him and Armstead in their best DE spots. This isn't me saying DO draft Allen, but i'd think it could work well should if we go that way.

If Garrett wasn't in this draft, would Allen be the "consensus" no. 1 pick?

I do know that if Allen would have declared last year, he would have been a top 5 pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do know that if Allen would have declared last year, he would have been a top 5 pick.

Ok, so if Allen fits one of these DE spots to a "T", it isn't too speculative saying he could be our BPA.

Another guy who seems to fit is Soloman Thomas? He isn't talked about as a top 5 pick, so not promoting him at #2. But when i read about him, seems like he can play the 6T AND be mixed inside on passing downs.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so if Allen fits one of these DE spots to a "T", it isn't too speculative saying he could be our BPA.

Another guy who seems to fit is Soloman Thomas? He isn't talked about as a top 5 pick, so not promoting him at #2. But when i read about him, seems like he can play the 6T AND be mixed inside on passing downs.

Solomon Thomas is a real deal pass-rusher

I think he's the real deal. Pac 12 DPOY. He has a relentless motor and I think he can play all 3 downs. He can stop the run and he can certainly pressure the QB. He has a monster game in the Sun Bowl against North Carolina, game where Trubisky struggled. I agree with you Deep that he can play 6T. He will probably go top 10 in the draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ERS 2017 DRAFT PICKS
1. First round:
No. 2 overall
2. Second round: No. 34 overall
3. Third round: No. 66 overall
4. Fourth round: No. 109 overall
5. Fourth round: No. 143 overall (compensatory)
6. Fifth round: No. 146 overall
7. Fifth round: No. 161 (pick acquired from Washington in 2015 trade for TE Derek Carrier)
8. Sixth round: No. 186 overall
9. Sixth round: No. 202 overall (pick acquired from Denver in 2015 trade for TE Vernon Davis)
10. Seventh round: No. 219 overall (pick acquired from Cleveland in 2015 trade for Andy Lee)

Well, we know the quality of the draft slot, and quantity of draft picks, isn't an issue. Now comes the HARD part, making the right choices?!

We can't hit on all selections but there's no reason to come out with a 'poor' class. Also, this year the comp picks are tradable. Not that i expect to trade our 4th, but its there and maybe we trade FOR a comp pick?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ERS 2017 DRAFT PICKS
1. First round:
No. 2 overall
7. Fifth round: No. 161 (pick acquired from Washington in 2015 trade for TE Derek Carrier)
9. Sixth round: No. 202 overall (pick acquired from Denver in 2015 trade for TE Vernon Davis)
10. Seventh round: No. 219 overall (pick acquired from Cleveland in 2015 trade for Andy Lee)

Well, we know the quality of the draft slot, and quantity of draft picks, isn't an issue. Now comes the HARD part, making the right choices?!

We can't hit on all selections but there's no reason to come out with a 'poor' class. Also, this year the comp picks are tradable. Not that i expect to trade our 4th, but its there and maybe we trade FOR a comp pick?
Not a bad spot for the comp pick. Could trade down for more. BPA for this draft and the 9ers' needs are so massive with not a lot of talent on FA market. Earl Mitchell is a new FA sign at 4 year 16 mil. deal not yet completed.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ERS 2017 DRAFT PICKS
1. First round:
No. 2 overall

It can't get worse than the 2012 draft picks!! What a disaster!:L The 2013 draft was better with Reid and Dial, but Carradine, McDonald and Patton have been disappointments. Lemonier was a bust and Lattimore never played a down. Hopefully then Niners can get a couple of starters in this upcoming draft.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it if Garrett isn't there u trade down and draft Mike Williams or MLB from Bama.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends if another team wants to trade up.
Teams will want to trade up. A lot of teams need QB and by trading to #2 u can pick your QB and not hope your guy falls to u.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams will want to trade up. A lot of teams need QB and by trading to #2 u can pick your QB and not hope your guy falls to u.

There are three QBs that could possibly go in the first round. The teams that need a QB are the Browns, Niners, Bears, Jets, and Bills if Tyrod Taylor doesn't return. If the Browns and Niners do not draft a QB, these three QBs will fall on their laps. I don't see the Niners trading back unless some team covets Allen or Reuben Foster. Teams can also draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds with Mahomes, Webb or Kaaya. If the Browns or the Niners choose NOT to draft any of the top three QBs, why would another team trade up? Are they more desperate than the Niners or the Browns? I don't think so, that's why it's unlikely the Niners will move the 2nd pick.

Besides, it the Niners do keep the pick, I would love for them to draft Allen.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are three QBs that could possibly go in the first round. The teams that need a QB are the Browns, Niners, Bears, Jets, and Bills if Tyrod Taylor doesn't return. If the Browns and Niners do not draft a QB, these three QBs will fall on their laps. I don't see the Niners trading back unless some team covets Allen or Reuben Foster. Teams can also draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds with Mahomes, Webb or Kaaya. If the Browns or the Niners choose NOT to draft any of the top three QBs, why would another team trade up? Are they more desperate than the Niners or the Browns? I don't think so, that's why it's unlikely the Niners will move the 2nd pick.

Agree and i posted it months ago, if there is no QB for us, then there is no QB for anyone else. No no one is going to trade up to #2, cause they'd only do it for a QB.

More so, last year (Goff and Wentz) has made teams even more wary.

We are hard luck this year, we have the #2 overall and there isn't a QB worth the spot?!

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and i posted it months ago, if there is no QB for us, then there is no QB for anyone else. No no one is going to trade up to #2, cause they'd only do it for a QB.

More so, last year (Goff and Wentz) has made teams even more wary.

We are hard luck this year, we have the #2 overall and there isn't a QB worth the spot?!

Agree with you Deep. There isn't a Marriota or Winston this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look what happen last year. No one thought people would trade up for Those 2 QBs. U never know. Also remember Cards, Houston, Chargers and Wash(if they don't want Cousin) might take a QB. We don't know yet. Yes Browns and 49ers need a QB bad but jets and bears are in the same boat. We all know how stupid the Jets are. They might trade up to take their guy.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett, QB or trade down for QB and WR!
My order right now is Garrett, Foster and Mike Williams. I don't want no QB at #2 unless Shanahan is 100% sold on one. I will have to trust him and Lynch and have their back. We are all in with these 2. What ever decision they make I will be happy. Im just happy its not baalke anymore. Did not trust him.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what happen last year. No one thought people would trade up for Those 2 QBs. U never know. Also remember Cards, Houston, Chargers and Wash(if they don't want Cousin) might take a QB. We don't know yet. Yes Browns and 49ers need a QB bad but jets and bears are in the same boat. We all know how stupid the Jets are. They might trade up to take their guy.

Two teams did indeed trade up last year and it didn't turn out well for the Rams and the jury is still out on Wentz, who struggled down the stretch. You mentioned how stupid the Jets are, but how about the Niners? How about the AJ Jenkins selection? How about Brandon Thomas, Lattimore and all the players who were drafted that had major injuries? How about drafting CBs left and right and not drafting an ILB or a QB earlier last year instead on waiting until the 6th round? That makes the Niners look stupid too. The Rams and Eagles gave up a lot to draft a QB last year, but in the Eagles' case, they were able to recoup a couple of those draft picks from the Bradford trade.

As Deep mentioned before, why would any of those teams trade up for a QB if the Browns and the Niners do not draft one? Last year there wasn't a Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen or Rueben Foster? The Bears know one of the QB's will fall to them no matter what the Browns and Niners do with their picks.

The Rams could use the fifth pick of this draft to get Williams to help Gofff, but now the Titans are in a great position. The Browns have the #1 and #11 pick so they have the luxury of waiting for a QB. You maybe right about some team trading up for a QB after the combine and individual workouts, but IMO, the teams drafting after the Browns and the Niners will wait for the QB's to fall on their laps. Theses QB's are not considered franchise QBs like an Elway or Manning.