• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Discussion (non49er)

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some random NFL Thoughts:

1. Everyone wants to talk about Denver. Can they get out of the division?

2. The cards are in a tough spot with Kyler Murray wanting way more money than he’s worth.

3. Seattle—“We don’t need no stinking QB!” Are they really tanking this year?

4. Another year, another “this is our year” from Dallas fans.

5. The AFC West looks like murderer’s row.

6. Who the hell is Rodgers gonna throw to in GB?

7. I get that the Jets OL is improved, but I don’t really see the Jets making a big jump with Wilson.

8. Put up or shut up time for Tua. Remember when he was the 2nd coming, tank for Tua?

9. Steelers are going to be surprised when the team takes a significant step back this season.

10. No way Watson plays this year in Cleveland. Suspension has to be at least half the season.

11. The Titans are gonna find out just how hard it is to replace a good WR.

12. I think the bears are going to stink. Didn’t do much in the offseason to help Fields.

13. Houston might really have something with Davis Mills at QB.

14. Washington becoming a pariah franchise. Like the browns a decade ago.

15. I see Detroit making some progress this year. They lost a lot of close ones last season.

What are your thoughts on the league this season?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like Watson will be suspended for 8 games. At least, that is the prevailing report. That seems pretty short imo and the Browns should be thrilled by it.

Nkeal Henry was traded to Chicago. He was a bust in NE, so a new environment is a good thing, but considering how bad he was in NE....

And as for Chicago, they really haven't done much to help Fields there. Particularly in terms of pass catchers.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. The cards are in a tough spot with Kyler Murray wanting way more money than he’s worth.

7. I get that the Jets OL is improved, but I don’t really see the Jets making a big jump with Wilson.

8. Put up or shut up time for Tua. Remember when he was the 2nd coming, tank for Tua?

9. Steelers are going to be surprised when the team takes a significant step back this season.

10. No way Watson plays this year in Cleveland. Suspension has to be at least half the season.

12. I think the bears are going to stink. Didn’t do much in the offseason to help Fields.

15. I see Detroit making some progress this year. They lost a lot of close ones last season.

Good stuff @Niner Outlaw. My thoughts in no particular order...

- The AFC west is brutal... Wilson will shine (he seems to be all-in... and he's a pro's pro), the Raiders will compete, KC will take a step back (they will find out what losing a game-changing WR does as well), the Chargers will improve (but I think they will finish last and will miss the playoffs... which is a shame because I love me some Herbert)

- Seattle will tank... and if the 9ers end up cutting JG, they will sign him as a bridge to next year. Maybe give him a two year deal to have a vet on the roster when they do draft their QB of the future next year

- The Jets are the Jets are the Jets... I won't make any prognostications of improvement until they actually show something

- Watson will play this year, and yeah I think 8 games is too low of a suspension. This will complicate any potential trade for JG, unless we are surprised with a longer suspension compared to what's being reported right now. Which most likely means that JG gets cut and the Seahawks pick him up. If Watson does play the second half of the season, he will light it up and everyone will forget about his personal issues... the Browns will be picked as a favorite going into 2023.

- Dallas is Dallas is Dallas... they will win a few games and will show flashes, but their roster has gotten a little worse over the summer.... and that coaching staff will be DESPERATE knowing that Payton is out there waiting to be named the HC by Jones.... a desperate McCarthy makes terrible in-game decisions, imo. Zeke is on the down-trend. Cooper is gone. Is Lamb ready to be the #1 guy? Still seems a little immature to me. Dak will probably have a bit of a bounce back year, but will it be enough?

- Philly will surprise... maybe not too much since a lot of folks already see them winning the division. They have a ton of talent on that roster. If Hurts can improve just a little, I think the division is theirs.

- Washington is a joke of a franchise... still pissed that they overpaid for Wentz but didn't want that JG love :-P

- Make or break year for Tua, no doubt. Talk about a talented roster.... they should be able to ball. Don't think they'll challenge the Bills for the division, but I'm thinking they make some noise this year. Not the biggest Tua fan, but I could see them finishing ahead of the Pats, which sounds crazy - I know.

- I think the Steelers will be fine. Will probably start out slow, but they are such a well-coached and well-run organization - they never really seem "out of it". It's not like Big Ben was lighting it up the last few years. If they get anything close to reasonable QB play, I see them competing for a playoff spot. Strong defense, solid special teams, good coaching... should count for something.

- Rodgers is basically in it for the money and the stats at this point... he'll compete every sunday, but man, I thought he woulda done more to help keep Adams in GB. Seems like he could have been proactive with his contract and help find ways around it. He'll find a guy to be his favorite, but I doubt they will be anything close to what Adams was. GB will probably "be there" because their division is soft (except for Minny), but no one will be scared to play them in the playoffs

- Minny... I just don't know. Lots of folks think they will take a major step forward this year, but I just don't see it. I'm not the biggest Cousins fan and just think in the "big game", with a win on the line, he will disappoint. I can see them making the playoffs, then an early exit. But maybe a new coach and more development of their solid base of young players make some noise... I'm in a holding pattern on them.

- Indy should be good... really good. I know that Ryan is an old man at this point, but with just a smidge of better QB play last year, they would have made some serious noise. That running game and defense are stout. With Ryan's leadership, and the Titans taking a step back, they are poised to do some damage. If they get into the playoffs, they will be the team that no one wants to face in the AFC

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Washington is a joke of a franchise... still pissed that they overpaid for Wentz but didn't want that JG love :-P
- I think the Steelers will be fine. Will probably start out slow, but they are such a well-coached and well-run organization - they never really seem "out of it". It's not like Big Ben was lighting it up the last few years. If they get anything close to reasonable QB play, I see them competing for a playoff spot. Strong defense, solid special teams, good coaching... should count for something.
- Indy should be good... really good. I know that Ryan is an old man at this point, but with just a smidge of better QB play last year, they would have made some serious noise. That running game and defense are stout. With Ryan's leadership, and the Titans taking a step back, they are poised to do some damage. If they get into the playoffs, they will be the team that no one wants to face in the AFC
Good stuff. I agree and disagree.

Washington can't get out of their own way. It seems like Snyder's FO is in a contest to see how many ways he can screw up. A disaster of a franchise. From the record to revenue, from the team name to the new crest, they keep screwing up.

"STrong defense"? I keep hearing that "Steelers defense will keep them competitive." Man, they were 20th in points allowed and 24th in yards allowed. That isn't "strong" defense; it's bottom 1/3 of the league. Their division got better and the Steelers didn't. Last year, they had A LOT of close wins and too many not-close losses. 7 of their 9 wins were by a TD or less. 5 of the wins were by 3, 5, 2, 1, 6, and 3. OTOH, of their 7 losses, 4 were by double digits (14, 10, 31, 25). That's why I see them regressing this year.

Yea, I think Indy is really going to make some noise. Ryan isn't what he was, but he is a better player than Wentz.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"STrong defense"? I keep hearing that "Steelers defense will keep them competitive." Man, they were 20th in points allowed and 24th in yards allowed. That isn't "strong" defense; it's bottom 1/3 of the league. Their division got better and the Steelers didn't. Last year, they had A LOT of close wins and too many not-close losses. 7 of their 9 wins were by a TD or less. 5 of the wins were by 3, 5, 2, 1, 6, and 3. OTOH, of their 7 losses, 4 were by double digits (14, 10, 31, 25). That's why I see them regressing this year.
Maybe I'm overrating how they finished the year... I seem to remember them flashing quite a bit on defense during the last 6 games of the season, with Watt disrupting almost everything in the backfield. But the defense was definitely shit to start they year. Just thought they got it under control as they year went on. Maybe I'm over valuing coaching and the org, but I really like Tomlin and thing he creates a culture that gets a lot out of his players.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys lose LT Tyron Smith until December (at least) and he could be out for the year. He tore a hammy and suffered an avulsion fracture in his leg.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys lose LT Tyron Smith until December (at least) and he could be out for the year. He tore a hammy and suffered an avulsion fracture in his leg.
Yeah, they said december return at the earliest, but that kind of injury sounds like a full year to me.

EDIT: and this one is a little personal for me... I just tore my hammy over the weekend. Major swelling and bruising. Need an MRI this week to figure out if surgery is required. In my case, it didn't tear off the bone - but I can hardly move my leg, and can't even imagine WALKING normal by December at this point, lol.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notable cuts from around the league:

Bills cut RB P.Lindsey, RB D.Johnson, and TE OJ Howard.

Jets release RB T.Coleman (former Niner)

Vikings release QB K.Mond

Chiefs cut WR J.Gordon

Phins relesae WR M.Sanu (former NIner), RB S.Michel

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles release former Niner safety J.Tartt.

Bears release DL M.Edwards

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that the Raiders cut loose OL A.Leatherwood.

He was a 1st rd pick that was a disappointment at both OT and OG, but he'd be worth a look for the Niners considering the state of our interior OL. He could be a reclamation project ala Tomlinson. OTOH, he'd have to pass through waivers first for the Niners to get a shot at him.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Thoughts on an overreaction Monday:

Raiders/Broncos. ...Yep, Russell Wilson is still broken and Peyton didn't all of sudden fix him. Saw that Jimmy had a typical Jimmy day. 20 of 26, 2 TDs, 1 INT.

Rams beat the spit out of Seattle. Puka Nacua and Tutu Atwell go off for 119yds each...who? Stafford looked really good. So much for the Rams falling down the ladder, eh? Seattle lost their OTs to injuries. Both of them. The offense stagnated after that. Still, that Seattle defense gave up 23 straight points in the 2nd half. Looks like their biggest weakness may still be their biggest weakness.

Of course the Packers were going to beat the Bears. I just don't get the hype over Fields. Or Love for that matter, but Love did look good for teh packers. They should feel optimistic about him.

Commies barely squeak by the tanking Cardinals. That Card defense sure wasn't tanking, getting some turnovers out of the mistake-prone Washington Commanders and turning them into points. The Cards very nearly won this game.

Browns have a great defense and running game. Just ask the Bengals. I mean, Cincy couldn't move the ball. Burrow only threw for 82 yards on 31 attempts. The Browns could be much better than anticipated.

Are the Giants that bad or are the Cowboys that good? Did we already see the best out of Daboll/Jones last year?

Stroud and Young are in for LONG seasons. And the running QB-Richardson is already hurt.

Vikings finally start losing the 1-score games. Jefferson went off again, but Cousins just fell apart, 3 turnovers cost the Vikings the game. It's not like Tampa played all that well, they didn't. Cousins just kept giving them the ball.

Saints upgraded at QB, but it took 3 Tannehill picks for the Saints to squeak out a 1 point win?

Dolphins/Chargers score 70 total points in a shootout. Do you even defense, bro? The offenses looked like they could score at will. Tua looks like he did during his MVP-candidate period last year. Can he stay healthy? The Miami offense didn't have a running game, but they didn't really need one either.

Eagles have a close win over the Pats. Looked like their offense was a little out of sorts. Maybe it's the new coodinator. The Pats were surprisingly in this game on the strength of their defense and some opportunistic offense. STill, should Bill have punted the ball on that late 4th down? He still had 3 time outs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some surprises for sure but its a long season. As noted in another thread, injuries turn the tide as we well know from last years NFC Championshop game. In the case of the Jets, might ruin their entire season?

As strong as the 49ers looked, i'm not getting ahead of ourselves. The next game is a Division game and would be nice to get a W in their place.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some surprises for sure but its a long season. As noted in another thread, injuries turn the tide as we well know from last years NFC Championshop game. In the case of the Jets, might ruin their entire season?
I can't believe that the Jets lost their QB so quickly. Sure, the Oline was a problem and everyone knew it would be a problem this season, but losing their star QB that quickly and probably for the year never crossed their minds I'll bet.

It likely sinks the Jets season. That defense and a good running game will keep them in some games, but they were a serious contender with ARod and that won't happen with Wilson at QB.

Are they going to bring in a veteran QB like a Colt McCoy, Nick Foles, or a Joe Flacco?

I think the bigger story out of Monday night was Josh Allen's turnovers. 4 turnovers in game is mind-blowing. And it's not like there were tipped ball interceptions that weren't really his fault. He literally threw into coverage and the balls were picked off. Forget the punt return and the ARod and all of that--Allen was the reason the Bills lost. Those turnovers literally kept the Jets in the game.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers 0-2. QB has 300yds, 2 TDs, 0INTs. D gets 5 sacks. Held Henry in check. LAC still lose. Wow

For the 2nd week in a row, Anthony Richardson left the game injured. Maybe there’s a lesson in that.

Bijan Robinson looks like the real deal for the Falcons. Love had a butt-fumble.

Bengals 0-2 with Burrow gimpy. Eh, they were 0-2 last year and still made the playoffs, right? Right?

Denver 0-2. Choked away a 3-score lead. That was clearly DPI on the 2pt conversion attempt!

Seattle and Geno rebound despite playing with backup OTs. Detroit worried about that defense?

Tampa 2-0. That’ll end next week with the Eagles coming to town.

Puka Nacua looks like the real deal at WR for the Rams. A healthy Stafford = playoffs?

No Aaron Rodgers, no win for NY. Why didn’t the Jets run the ball more while the game was close?

Patriots 0-2. Tough early schedule, though. They’ll right the ship next week vs the Jets.

Jimmy throws 2 picks and Josh Allen throws none = Bills win big.

Low scoring game in KC v. Jags. Chiefs grind out a gutty, defensive win in an ugly game.

No, the Bears will not be taking the next step this season. 0-2 against GB and TB with KC up next.

“Tanking” Cards blow a 20-0 lead to the Gmen and lose 31-28. Still, Cards better than expected.

Didn’t you used to be the Niners pass rush?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might've been a little worried when we lost CB E.Mosely to the Lions. Well, he just tore his ACL again and is out for the year. Tough blow to the Lions secondary that is already without Gardner. Gotta feel bad for the guy.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texans have signed CB Jason Verrett to their PS. The guy could never stay healthy.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

washington has long been a pariah franchie.as a long suffering fan they,ve been one for many a years.not gonna get better unless a total office cleaning and that includes the front office.