• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL.com power ranks all 32 HCs

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to sound like a homer here, but Carroll built the Seahawks from the ground up and he wasn't blessed with a Bree's for QB, I could make some arguments for others on this list also. Payton is being over rated IMO.

I have Carroll at #3. He is very close to Payton because the Seahawks is his 2nd team to make the Super Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Carroll at #3. He is very close to Payton because the Seahawks is his 2nd team to make the Super Bowl.

Then, you'll have to drop him back down your list. Last year was Carroll's only Super Bowl appearance.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then, you'll have to drop him back down your list. Last year was Carroll's only Super Bowl appearance.

Oh, I thought he was the head coach to the Pats in the 90s that lost to Packers. He became the HC the following year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I thought he was the head coach to the Pats in the 90s that lost to Packers. He became the HC the following year.

Still has better resume then Payton. Folks are giving him to much credit due to how much the Saints missed him. I think the same would hold for John or Jim Harbaugh, not to mention Carroll.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably won't be the first one to say this, but I think Carroll is rated really low all things considered.

In 2009, Jim Mora was the Seahawks head coach. The Seahawks went 5-11 with an older roster that didn't really have much talent on it. The next year, Carroll comes in and somehow milks 7 wins out of that roster and knocks out the defending Superbowl Champions at home in the playoffs. Carroll's 2010 team that made the playoffs had arguably less talent than the 2009 one, which would place them in the bottom 10 in the NFL, yet Carroll still found a way to win.

Not only did Pete Carroll take over a team that went 9-23 in the previous 32 games, but he has really changed the way the NFL looks at different positions. Big, physical CBs are now all the rage since Pete Carroll had so much success with them in Seattle. It would appear that scouts are starting to follow the mold that Carroll has set in terms of constructing a team.

Perhaps I am biased, but I do think Carroll deserves a lot of credit. The only thing you can knock him for is that his players get flagged a lot and his clock management is mediocre at best. But I don't think you're going to find a better motivator or innovator than Pete Carroll in the NFL. He has tried a lot of things that are unique: a 6'3 230lb strong safety, a 6'4 320lb DE in a 4-3 scheme, starting CBs of 6'3 190lbs and 6'4 220lbs. The things Carroll did were unique and they worked.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projected Seahawk 2014 starters that were on the roster before Carroll took over the team:
Defense:
DT: Brandon Mebane

Offense:
C: Max Unger

Total: 2/22 (9%)

Projected 49er 2014 starters that were on the roster before Harbaugh took over the team:
Defense:
DE: Justin Smith
DE: Ray McDonald
ILB: Patrick Willis
ILB: Navorro Bowman
OLB: Ahmad Brooks
CB: Tramaine Brock

Offense:
RT: Anthony Davis
RG: Alex Boone
LG: Mike Iupati
LT: Joe Staley
TE: Vernon Davis
WR: Michael Crabtree
HB: Frank Gore

Total: 13/22 59%

Harbaugh inherited most of the players he won with. Carroll basically built the Seahawks roster from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projected Seahawk 2014 starters that were on the roster before Carroll took over the team:
Defense:
DT: Brandon Mebane

Offense:
C: Max Unger

Total: 2/22 (9%)

Projected 49er 2014 starters that were on the roster before Harbaugh took over the team:
Defense:
DE: Justin Smith
DE: Ray McDonald
ILB: Patrick Willis
ILB: Navorro Bowman
OLB: Ahmad Brooks
CB: Tramaine Brock

Offense:
RT: Anthony Davis
RG: Alex Boone
LG: Mike Iupati
LT: Joe Staley
TE: Vernon Davis
WR: Michael Crabtree
HB: Frank Gore

Total: 13/22 59%

Harbaugh inherited most of the players he won with. Carroll basically built the Seahawks roster from scratch.

Well put 234. No doubt JH had some solid talent he inherited. I will give him credit that he got more out of his players than SF's previous HC's who were ineffective.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Zimmer should be higher than 28th even without HC'ing experience... Not sure how Garrett is above anyone.

Hard to believe Zim was the DC in Dallas but Jerry didn't find a way to make him HC. He is the guy I wanted all along. I said the same thing about a guy that I believe is the 2nd best coach in the NFL today, but we let Sean Payton get away too:L

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another stupid list based on a bunch of superficial crap because a writer need to produce something for today. Who cares.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give JH one piece of credit. He fixed Alex Smith..... a previous first overall bust of a qb. Now Reid has shown that a steady hand can get a lot of quality out of Smith but JH did it first.

Im not going to turn this into a Seahawks thread, but the points made about PC are great. He built this team into what it is, he built this D into the monster it is. And frankly he had the BALLS to play a short third round draft pick rookie QB when the team had paid big bucks to another guy. That move single handedly changed the fortunes of this organization. As good as the D was last year. Matt Flynn does not win the superbowl....

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another stupid list based on a bunch of superficial crap because a writer need to produce something for today. Who cares.

It's okay for you to simply not post in the threads you don't care about. There is no quota you have to meet.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Pete Carroll were #1, you'd be citing it as gospel.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With coughlin the question I would ask is would you rather have a coach that every 5 years wins you a Super Bowl but has some streaky play in between or a coach that every year can get you to the playoffs but can't quite win it all?

In other words Coughlin or Schottemheimer...give me Coughlin.

I will say though I think the Mara's are lot like the Rooney's...they are patient with HCs...I just think Coughlin's ship has sailed...time to turn the page...still a good coach, but sometimes the players need to hear another voice and I think that time has come in NY.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words Coughlin or Schottemheimer...give me Coughlin.

I will say though I think the Mara's are lot like the Rooney's...they are patient with HCs...I just think Coughlin's ship has sailed...time to turn the page...still a good coach, but sometimes the players need to hear another voice and I think that time has come in NY.

Again?