• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Wrinkle In Cousins Negotiations: Eagles Raise Offer To Bradford

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Eagles up offer to Sam Bradford

I trust Scot to do what he thinks is best when negotiating with Cousins on a long term deal. But the longer he waits, there's a danger that other deals will push Cousins' stock higher. The Eagles, who apparently want to re-sign the broken-down, middling-at-best Sam Bradford, have offered him a deal “at the top of his expected range on the open market." I'm not sure what that means or how much that is, but one thing is pretty clear: Cousins deserves a better deal than Bradford.

If the Eagles and Bradford agree to something like an $18M a year deal, Cousins will definitely ask for more. And before you blanch at the idea of Bradford getting that type of a deal, remember that he was supposedly offered an four-year, $72M deal before the season started. As of right now, it's a good guess that the price of admission for any negotiations on Cousins part will be the $16M option the Redskins gave to RGIII. You can be sure that Bradford's camp is thinking the same thing, arguing that Bradford is clearly better than 'Bob.' If that's the case, and Bradford accepts around something like a $17M or $18M deal, Cousins' wife might be an awfully happy camper soon. Of course, the Redskins can always tag Cousins, which should obviously come via the franchise tag. Word is that Cuz will eat that up and all will be well for at least this year on his end.

The issue for Scot is whether he wants to negotiate for certainty or to take a calculated risk on Cuz's market value either this year or next year. If Scot is a great evaluator of talent, he should base those decisions on how he projects Cousins to play in the next few seasons. Presumably, he's doing that and we hope he's got that pegged.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its worth mentioning though that there are people who would rather have Bradford than Cousins. There are people who think he was largely held back by his teammates.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its worth mentioning though that there are people who would rather have Bradford than Cousins. There are people who think he was largely held back by his teammates.

I will preface this by saying I was a huge fan of Bradford. I thought he was one of the few QBs that might be worth a block buster deal to trade up for.

He is basing his current value off of the fact that he was a #1 pick in the draft. BUt when you figure in his injury history, he isnt worth more than Cousins. But if the Eagles sign him to this deal, we will have no options but to either sign him long term at around $18-19 million per year, franchise tag him, or let him walk.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the sky is falling , we will overpay and we are doomed , the sky is falling aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

we are doomed we will never recover aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

relax people at worst we pay 19.6 for a year

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will preface this by saying I was a huge fan of Bradford. I thought he was one of the few QBs that might be worth a block buster deal to trade up for.

He is basing his current value off of the fact that he was a #1 pick in the draft. BUt when you figure in his injury history, he isnt worth more than Cousins. But if the Eagles sign him to this deal, we will have no options but to either sign him long term at around $18-19 million per year, franchise tag him, or let him walk.

Hey you dont have to convinve me. Id rather have Cousins to Bradford. I just think its worth noting they're probably closer in value than you would realize from a glance at their stats.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey you dont have to convinve me. Id rather have Cousins to Bradford. I just think its worth noting they're probably closer in value than you would realize from a glance at their stats.

An injury prone player who is one more blown knee from retirement is not as close as you might think.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An injury prone player who is one more blown knee from retirement is not as close as you might think.

I mean in that some GMs may favor Bradford, as some analysts do. I personally think Cousins>>Bradford.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look we can overpay for KC or for bradford. you all make the call or hope hogan is the guy as a rookie with colt mccoy

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC should get more money than Bradford just b/c of his age.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean in that some GMs may favor Bradford, as some analysts do. I personally think Cousins>>Bradford.

My question would remain... do they favor Bradford based on where he was drafted, or on what both QBs have shown?

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question would remain... do they favor Bradford based on where he was drafted, or on what both QBs have shown?

Probably some of both. Thats my point. There are people who think Sam Bradford played very well last year. And some that think Kirk was eh. The Cian guy thinks this. All Im saying is some people value them differently than we expect.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the Skins cut or trade RGIII?

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, there's no comparison between Bradford and Cousins. You can also make the same point when comparing both of their careers. In that 10 game stretch to end the season, Cousins threw for more TDs than Bradford ever had in any of his past seasons (which included two 16 game seasons). His near 8 to 1 TD/INT ratio and average of about 270 yards per game also eclipsed anything Bradford had done in his career. While Cuz still has things to prove, he's clearly a cut above Bradford.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly plus KC is younger and that equates to more money. The 15M offer was an insult. there are rumors that the Eagles and Bradford are close to a long term deal so should KC's deal mimic Bradfords?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end we are not talking about that big of a difference. Cousins is certainly going to make something over $17-18 M & that is pretty much the going rate. IMO - the bigger issue would be if outs can be factored into the contract & to what extent.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will believe the offer if a skins official comes out and says it or i see it in writing . these"reporters " throw out crap all the time and pass it off as fact

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, there's no comparison between Bradford and Cousins. You can also make the same point when comparing both of their careers. In that 10 game stretch to end the season, Cousins threw for more TDs than Bradford ever had in any of his past seasons (which included two 16 game seasons). His near 8 to 1 TD/INT ratio and average of about 270 yards per game also eclipsed anything Bradford had done in his career. While Cuz still has things to prove, he's clearly a cut above Bradford.
you sound like you could be cousins agent:D

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But nobody would ever say Bradfords stats were better than Cousins. They would say Bradford under cousins circumstances would've played better than Cousins. I don't think Bradford is better than Cousins but just kinda playing devils advocate to say citing the stats probably wouldn't convince anybody.