• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Never leave Wisconsin, apparently

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never leave Wisconsin, apparently

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/0274fe4b-9eff-34d9-af63-a19a6d661885/ss_never-leave-wisconsin,.html

l9BcHBhV.0.jpeg

Bret Bielema and Gary Andersen had a combined .737 win percentage in their nine seasons as Wisconsin head coaches.

Since leaving for Arkansas and Oregon State, respectively, they’ve combined to go .395.

On the Monday after 2017’s Week 6, Andersen and OSU announced their parting after 2.5 years, with the head coach’s guaranteed contract being ripped up along the way, leaving $12-plus million in OSU’s hands. Meanwhile, the biggest Arkansas topic in a lackluster Year 5 is Bielema’s gigantic buyout of $15 million.

When Bielema and Andersen left Wisconsin, both of their exits were shocking.
The extremely Midwestern Bielema billed his jump from a steady winner to the lower half of the SEC West rock fight as an attempt to compete against the best, while the West Coast’s Andersen framed his move to a Power 5 straggler around UW’s difficult admissions standards for athletes (though that was dubious).

In both cases, pay for assistant coaches and the looming influence of athletic director and former head coach Barry Alvarez were also considered factors, based on varying combinations of reporting, analysis, and speculation.

From the outside looking in, being Wisconsin’s head football coach is a comfortable gig, if imperfect.
UW has a far bigger athletic department than any other in the Big Ten West, typically ranking in or around the top 10 on USA Today’s athletic department revenue list. UW is also always top-20 in football attendance, another sign of its advantages over most of its peers.

UW does tend to lag in assistant coach pay, most recently ranking No. 9 among the Big Ten’s 12 publicly known staff pools despite all that money. But that leaner budget hasn’t kept the Badgers from a 2-2 record in the six-year-old Big Ten Championship. And recruiting will always be a challenge in an area so far from hotbeds, but that goes for the entire Big Ten West.

All things considered, doing a good job coaching the modern Badgers means being a Power 5 division contender almost annually, something that can only be said of maybe 15 or 20 teams in the country.

Since the Alvarez mega-era began, the Badgers have just piled up Ws.
The following doesn’t even include 2017’s first half; at the moment, Paul Chryst’s No. 9 Badgers are 5-0.

Wisconsin before and after hiring Barry Alvarez in 1990

................Metric 27 years before hiring Alvarez .......... 27 full years since hiring Alvarez

Win percentage .................... 0.387 ...............................................................0.667
Top-25 finishes .......................0 ................................................................... 15
Top-10 finishes .............................0 ................................................................... 7
Bowl record ................................ 1-2 ............................................................... 13-9
Major bowl record ......................... 0-0 ................................................................ 4-3

Coaching in Alvarez’s shadow — almost literally — is clearly a lot to live up to.

The local legend ended up replacing both Bielema and Andersen as Wisconsin’s bowl game head coach.

But it’s been interesting to see the recent narrative suddenly shift, from Alvarez supposedly running off two head coaches in a row to both of those coaches laboring after leaving Wisconsin.

Here’s where it’s also worth noting Chryst was 19-19 at Pitt, but 26-6 since returning to UW, where he was a player and assistant.

Basically, all I’m saying is that once you’re Wisconsin’s head coach ...

... you better be really sure about leaving.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe is has to do with the fact that both left for lesser programs. Which tells me more about what a cocksucker Barry Alvarez is than anything. Luckily, Chryst is fine running his system and not having control. He's a good coach too. Hopefully Barry doesn't somehow scare him off.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe is has to do with the fact that both left for lesser programs. Which tells me more about what a cocksucker Barry Alvarez is than anything. Luckily, Chryst is fine running his system and not having control. He's a good coach too. Hopefully Barry doesn't somehow scare him off.

Not getting along with your boss always ends up with the boss winning.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be SOFAKING constipated bro.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chryst and Alvarez see eye to eye on how to run the program, they made a strong hire there to solidify the future of the program . I don't see Chryst ever leaving on his own accord

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prolly the way they wear their headsets.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Chryst has total control over the football team and is an alumnus of Wisconsin.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because my wife is from Madison and her brother is a student there.

Well...I don't want to argue with the Wife or the Brother-In-Law, but Chryst does what Alvarez
tells him to do.

Now, that isn't 100% bad, but Alvarez will never let go of that program.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Alvarez made bad hires on the first two or there really is something that isn't right in working for him. One left for what would be considered a lateral move at best and the other for a lower program. Again, something ain't right in Madison or Alvarez sucked on the first two hirings.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I don't want to argue with the Wife or the Brother-In-Law, but Chryst does what Alvarez
tells him to do.

Now, that isn't 100% bad, but Alvarez will never let go of that program.

How old is Barry Alvarez by now? He hit 70 yet?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chryst and Alvarez see eye to eye on how to run the program, they made a strong hire there to solidify the future of the program . I don't see Chryst ever leaving on his own accord

Running a program without ever recruiting a QB with a pulse?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chryst knows that Barry sadly won't be around for his whole tenure either.

Bielema left for money, including assistant money. I also don't think that people necessarily thought Arkansas was a lesser program at the time. They certainly do now. But I'm not sure the SEC continues to pay over the odds (including huge buyouts) given how many schools have been burned by that recently (looking in LSU's general direction).

Anderson left because he wanted to recruit JuCo retards and didn't realize that the Big Ten (and especially Wisconsin) actually takes the "student" athlete part somewhat seriously relative to other power programs. He didn't know how to recruit the right way, or in the right part of the country.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Alvarez made bad hires on the first two or there really is something that isn't right in working for him. One left for what would be considered a lateral move at best and the other for a lower program. Again, something ain't right in Madison or Alvarez sucked on the first two hirings.
Based on what I've heard, it's debatable whether Anderson left of his own accord.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I've heard, it's debatable whether Anderson left of his own accord.
You very well could be correct. And if so, then it validates what I said to begin with. Alvarez didn't make a very good hire in the first place by hiring Anderson.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's got to be Madison and Alvarez. Fat boy went 68-24 winning the B1G twice and going to two Rose Bowls and Andersen went 9-4 and 10-3 while winning the West division in his two years in Madison. Those weren't bad coaching hires. Either Alvarez is a dick or Madison sucks and from what I have heard, Madison is a pretty cool college town so I don't know.....

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's got to be Madison and Alvarez. Fat boy went 68-24 winning the B1G twice and going to two Rose Bowls and Andersen went 9-4 and 10-3 while winning the West division in his two years in Madison. Those weren't bad coaching hires. Either Alvarez is a dick or Madison sucks and from what I have heard, Madison is a pretty cool college town so I don't know.....
It has to be Alvarez. I've been to Madison several times to recruit propective teachers to Texas. It is a real neat place IYAM.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You very well could be correct. And if so, then it validates what I said to begin with. Alvarez didn't make a very good hire in the first place by hiring Anderson.
This I agree with.

Or he was just a placeholder. Remember Bielema left right after Chryst took the HC job at Pitt (quite understanaby... almost any assistant would jump at a HC job at a P5 school). If Bielema left first they could have just promoted Chryst, but he isn't the kind of guy who is going to leave a job after one year, so they needed someone to take the job for a year or two.

Last edited: