• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA reducing sanctions against PSU

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured this thread would be a shitstorm

Thought it would be worse... Nice to see that quite a few people have taken the time to educate themselves of the situation & realize the right thing has finally happened here.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: In addition; this should have not been an NCAA issue....IT'S A CRIMINAL ISSUE to be dealt with by the courts. These Horrific crimes were perpetrated by someone who WAS NOT an employee of Penn State. Sandusky was RETIRED and had status with the University because he WAS RETIRED. IF one considers that being associated with the university, that's fine; however, how is it the football program has to take the hit? Curley and Schultz were not in charge of football, they were in charge of all athletic programs. Those two are going to jail and they know it and will soon be attempting to cut a deal. Also the Peterno family is not yet finished. As a matter of fact, they are just getting warmed up. They will be suing and winning a big judgment against Penn State and the NCAA for throwing Joe under the bus as he had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any of this. The people who live in that area are really pissed off at the University for allowing the NCAA to do what they did to Joe; a person who did nothing but good for so many and for so many years.
Since it was those at PSU that gave the report to the NCAA stating it as fact, how is the NCAA liable at all? I can see how they would want to sue PSU but the NCAA did not pay for the report nor validate it as fact.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it was those at PSU that gave the report to the NCAA stating it as fact, how is the NCAA liable at all? I can see how they would want to sue PSU but the NCAA did not pay for the report nor validate it as fact.

The dumb asses in charge of Penn State stipulated to the report. The NCAA decided to malign Joe's character...The Paterno family agreed to NOTHING. They will have their day and Joe will be exonerated.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dumb asses in charge of Penn State stipulated to the report. The NCAA decided to malign Joe's character...The Paterno family agreed to NOTHING. They will have their day and Joe will be exonerated.
The Paterno family did not have to agree to anything. Does Sandusky have to agree to anything? The NCAA used the report that was given to them as fact and based their conclusions on that. Since this is not a legal matter with regards to JoePa, and his character was maligned shouldn't they go after the ones that make gave these conclusions as fact?

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think Paterno was completely innocent in this?

Just ask any person who played for him or any person who lives in that area. Joe was honest to a fault and NEVER did anything that reflected badly on his character. This will all come out when they finally get Curley and Shultz in court. Those two are the guilty ones.

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it would be worse... Nice to see that quite a few people have taken the time to educate themselves of the situation & realize the right thing has finally happened here.

True, it's nothing in comparison to what was being said last Fall..and I respect the differing opinions, just not those that hold all Penn Staters responsible

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sanctions were not ridiculous. They harbored and enabled a child molester. If they were not a huge corporation then those people would be in prison.

Hence the reason the NCAA had no business being involved in the 1st place. THIS was a legal matter. The person responsible is now behind bars for the rest of his life and the victims are now being compensated. That's all that matters and what's important. Punishing the football program was just stupid......

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just ask any person who played for him or any person who lives in that area. Joe was honest to a fault and NEVER did anything that reflected badly on his character. This will all come out when they finally get Curley and Shultz in court. Those two are the guilty ones.
No it will never come out. Do you really think Curley and Shultz are going to "come clean" and tell all that really happened and who was involved?
As far as your first statement, ask all those that played for Tressel or any in that area and see what they think about the things said about him.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the word fan does derive from fannatic, I suppose. I mean that one grad assistant who reported him testified to the contrary under oath. I have a tough time believin a hard coach and essential CEO of a team could have been blind to all of this. I don't know if asking former players or neighbors is the correct approach.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for PSU. I don't care what other people think about it.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here is what I think... I think he knew something was wrong with Sandusky after the original investigation in 98. It explains why Sandusky was told by Joe that he would never be PSU's head coach, wasn't allowed to start a team at PSU Altoona and shortly after that, retired from coaching. There is no way to know what he knew for a fact at that point, but it IS a fact that for whatever reason, Joe would never allow him to be the head coach.

After Jerry retires, I highly doubt he had much contact with him even though he was granted an office on campus and use of the facilities. He may have avoided him altogether. Again, no way to know.

Nothing again till 2002. Thats where it gets sticky.... Thats when McQueary reports seeing something in the showers to Joe. Joe passed it up the chain to Curly but that was it... He didn't do more (which is most likely what he was infamously referring to outside of his house w/ all of the cameras on him) The only thing that was done at that point is Sandusky was no longer allowed to bring children on campus. THIS is where it seems there was the biggest issues. They knew Jerry had a past, they knew something had happened again. What is not known is why it wasn't stopped right then and there. This timeline is what the Curley, Shultz & Spanier trial will figure out. We will find out what role, if any Joe had in covering things up.

I do not believe that Joe was involved in an active cover up, but starting in 1998 he most likely knew that Sandusky wasn't right.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No it will never come out. Do you really think Curley and Shultz are going to "come clean" and tell all that really happened and who was involved?
As far as your first statement, ask all those that played for Tressel or any in that area and see what they think about the things said about him.

You have those who went through the program like students, teachers and football players and most respond similar to runeman supporting Coach Paterno. Thousands of people directly related to the football program for years and not a one of them suspected Sandusky was moseting kids.

I can't hold him at fault to the extent he is being held by thosse outside the program. And it's really overcome by his death.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To deny that Paterno knew about Sandusky is just blind idol-worship. He knew, and he could have done more. He even said as much, himself.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I think... I think he knew something was wrong with Sandusky after the original investigation in 98.

I do not believe that Joe was involved in an active cover up, but starting in 1998 he most likely knew that Sandusky wasn't right.

You don't think Joe really understood what just exactly Sandusky was up to back in 98 SFNL?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Completely innocent? I don't know!! What I do know is that in all of this there was only one person who actually reported it to those who were supposed to handle it and only one person who has taken any responsiblity whatsoever and that was JoePa.

JoePa reported it to Curley, Spanier and Schultz as he was required to do according to university policy and Pennsylvania law at the time (I believe that law has since been changed). He also was the only one who accepted any responsibility when he said "With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more"!!

Everyone else involved has been happy to hide behind JoePa while everyone blamed him!!

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think Joe really understood what just exactly Sandusky was up to back in 98 SFNL?

He may have but what are you going to do when the investigation ends with the district attorney saying there isn't even enough to warrant any charges? I believe at that point Joe thought Jerry was involved in some bad shit but couldn't do more than speed up his retirement.

I get frustrated when people think that Joe had the power to be the police, district attorney's office & judge when he already had a job.

I think everyone had an "OH SHIT" moment in 2002.

Last edited by a moderator: