• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA reducing sanctions against PSU

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main problem that I had with the sanctions is that this whole thing is & was so far above and beyond the jurisdiction of the NCAA that they should have just waited until things were figured out before stepping in and placing these unprecedented sanctions.

The Attorney general at the time (who is now governor of PA) fucked up the original investigation. Why? Who knows... we'll never know. The President at the time (Graham Spanier) allowed Sandusky to be given emeritus status after the investigation went nowhere. This happened right after Paterno told Sandusky that he would never be the head coach at PSU and magically... he quietly retired. The media made this all about a football program that was out of control being lead by a coach that was larger than the administration. Well..... the failure to eradicate the beast from our public university was tied up in bureaucratic bullshit that went far above that than just the football program. Sure, it was over money, but it was money that was good for the entire state of PA & not just for new football uniforms. There is so much blame to be cast on everyone that knew something about this but it doesn't stop at just the football program (which is where it did) This failure happened at the police, courts, government & administrative level.

My point is the NCAA should have watched to see where this was all going before standing up on a podium, thumping their chests & declaring themselves the supreme rulers of everything. If at this point in time they think that the sanctions should be reduced, it isn't just because PSU is complying, it's because they know they were wrong to do what they did when they did it. Due process will work its way out & I'm sure that we will never know the entire story of who knew what because there are entities involved that are much more powerful than the NCAA involved here too.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit are stupid.:laugh3:

It's not stupid, some folks actually believe this program should've been suspended, were not talking about a kid taken money were talking about a coach that held a position with this school that took that power and preyed on little kids, don't get me wrong man, I said it above, the kids there did nothing wrong and they shouldn't be punished for it, but there is also this underlining that some serious sick stuff went on their on there campus, and it was covered up....

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read the NCAA ruling? Did you see what rules were violated? I am guess you did not read the actual rules that were violated. Check it out sometime.

They tried to imply rules based on athletics which this case had nothing to do with. If it did then why is the NCAA starting to reduce the sanctions? Cause they know they screwed up.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, let's bury an institution for a few bad apples that are now in prison, sounds legit...

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not stupid, some folks actually believe this program should've been suspended, were not talking about a kid taken money were talking about a coach that held a position with this school that took that power and preyed on little kids, don't get me wrong man, I said it above, the kids there did nothing wrong and they shouldn't be punished for it, but there is also this underlining that some serious sick stuff went on their on there campus, and it was covered up....

And who would that punish in your opinion? :scratch:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the NCAA is reducing the sanctions!! The NCAA had no business being involved because it's not their jurisdiction!!

While the sanctions the NCAA put on USC were over the top and didn't fit the crime, they were at least within the NCAA's jurisdiction.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the NCAA is reducing the sanctions!! The NCAA had no business being involved because it's not their jurisdiction!!

While the sanctions the NCAA put on USC were over the top and didn't fit the crime, they were at least within the NCAA's jurisdiction.

At least someone gets it.:suds:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main problem that I had with the sanctions is that this whole thing is & was so far above and beyond the jurisdiction of the NCAA that they should have just waited until things were figured out before stepping in and placing these unprecedented sanctions.

The Attorney general at the time (who is now governor of PA) fucked up the original investigation. Why? Who knows... we'll never know. The President at the time (Graham Spanier) allowed Sandusky to be given emeritus status after the investigation went nowhere. This happened right after Paterno told Sandusky that he would never be the head coach at PSU and magically... he quietly retired. The media made this all about a football program that was out of control being lead by a coach that was larger than the administration. Well..... the failure to eradicate the beast from our public university was tied up in bureaucratic bullshit that went far above that than just the football program. Sure, it was over money, but it was money that was good for the entire state of PA & not just for new football uniforms. There is so much blame to be cast on everyone that knew something about this but it doesn't stop at just the football program (which is where it did) This failure happened at the police, courts, government & administrative level.

My point is the NCAA should have watched to see where this was all going before standing up on a podium, thumping their chests & declaring themselves the supreme rulers of everything. If at this point in time they think that the sanctions should be reduced, it isn't just because PSU is complying, it's because they know they were wrong to do what they did when they did it. Due process will work its way out & I'm sure that we will never know the entire story of who knew what because there are entities involved that are much more powerful than the NCAA involved here too.
I agree with you that there is much blame to go around, however I do not agree the NCAA should have waited. The information they had that a something happened with a kid in the shower, the "authorities" found out they did nothing to check on that child. The least they should have done was find that child and ask his side of what happened. Why they did not can be speculated but it did involve several that ran the university. With that information the NCAA had the responsibility to step in. The rules that were violated were stated and punishment for violating those rules was given.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who would that punish in your opinion? :scratch:

The ones that aren't there are getting what they deserve now, I don't blame the whole Penn St school, I am blaming the people that were in charge and were told this stuff was going on, I don't think banning them of scholarships or bowl bids would or be sufficent enough for the victims....

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And those that perpetrated the crimes and cover up are either in prison or awaiting trial!! What is gained by punishing those who had nothing to do with it?

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the lawsuit against the NCAA by the state of PA and Paterno family were not dismissed as the NCAA was hoping, you had to know they were going to have to do this.

The lesson here, if you want change in the NCAA....sue them.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried to imply rules based on athletics which this case had nothing to do with. If it did then why is the NCAA starting to reduce the sanctions? Cause they know they screwed up.
The NCAA showed direct rules that were violated. Personally I think the punishment was wrong, PSU should have been removed from the NCAA. They should have then been given the chance to show change and gain membership again.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those that perpetrated the crimes and cover up are either in prison or awaiting trial!! What is gained by punishing those who had nothing to do with it?

Exactly, people are never gonna see eye to eye on this, and that's okay, but the one thing everyone should see eye to eye on is the simple fact there is inoccent victims out there that will never be the same again, cause someone decide that this would hurt an image or bring a dark cloud onto a program and school...

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA showed direct rules that were violated. Personally I think the punishment was wrong, PSU should have been removed from the NCAA. They should have then been given the chance to show change and gain membership again.

Again, the "rules" you are saying were broken has to do with athletics, this was a criminal matter the NCAA should've stayed out of.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fify

A lot if people think the punishment was fair. A lot if others thought it was far too much. Some even thought it was far too lenient. To assume absolutism is just a logical fallacy in open debate.

A majority agrees with me, you are in the minority.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually... Given the true scope of the breakdown.. The entire university should have been shut down. But that seems a bit silly, right?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the "rules" you are saying were broken has to do with athletics, this was a criminal matter the NCAA should've stayed out of.
I will just give you one.

19.01.2 Exemplary Conduct.
Individuals employed by or associated with member institutions for the administration, the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics are, in the final analysis, teachers of young people. Their responsibility is an affirmative one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable acts. Their own moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically placed citizen.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually... Given the true scope of the breakdown.. The entire university should have been shut down. But that seems a bit silly, right?
The NCAA cannot shutdown a university but the do control their membership in the NCAA.