• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got them there, I’m not going to dog the guy. His job is as secure as any coach in the league I suspect. He decided if they were going to lose they would go down their way. Really stupid to straight up say the decisions were wrong, they didn’t work, that’s all.

Yes, he got them there with his aggressive style. You can also make a strong argument that his aggressive style cost them a trip to the Super Bowl. It's not dogging him to suggest that he might want to dial that back a bit in certain situations...like when you have a chance to go up 3 scores.

As much as converting on 4th down is a momentum boost for a team, it's just as much of a momentum boost for the other team when they get the stop.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 151,725.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he got them there with his aggressive style. You can also make a strong argument that his aggressive style cost them a trip to the Super Bowl. It's not dogging him to suggest that he might want to dial that back a bit in certain situations...like when you have a chance to go up 3 scores.

As much as converting on 4th down is a momentum boost for a team, it's just as much of a momentum boost for the other team when they get the stop.
I don’t think he will change, they will still keep converting at a high enough percentage to show it’s worth the risk.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley for fired because they were perennial underachievers.....despite having a shit ton of talent.

LOL.

Yes and no.

Staley went for it on 4th and went for 2 as much or more than anyone in the NFL.

7 of his teams losses were by 3 points or less. It would be interesting to go back through those losses because I'd bet that there were probably at least a couple of instances where he went for it on 4th down and didn't convert when he could/should have kicked a field goal and/or went for 2 instead of kicking the extra point and didn't convert.

I think part of the problem with the Chargers defense was constantly being put in high stress/pressure situations.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the players actually executed.....we might not even be talking about this.

I think we would be because the calls were questioned even as they were being made. The difference would be folks would say "he got away with it". A guy taking and hitting a bad shot doesn't mean it's not a bad shot.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they were very makeable for an NFL kicker.
Yeah, but the narrative if they miss that FG is why did the coach move away from what worked for them all season long? Why is he chickening out now? He got scared in the championship game and it cost them the game. Etc.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As were the 4th and 2’s

Not really. As I pointed out earlier, the Niners knew the Lions are aggressive in those situations and spent extra time preparing.

Kind of reminds me of when the Seahawks ran that pass play vs. the Patriots in the Super Bowl. With all of the criticism over that call, folks overlooked the preparation by the Patriots. They knew that was a play the Seahawks liked and had some success with. During practice, Malcolm Butler was late when they practiced that play because of how he reacted...Belichik told him "When you see that, just break hard to that spot".

I'd be confident in betting that the Niners coaches were saying similar things when preparing for the Lions 4th down package.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 151,725.97
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. As I pointed out earlier, the Niners knew the Lions are aggressive in those situations and spent extra time preparing.

Kind of reminds me of when the Seahawks ran that pass play vs. the Patriots in the Super Bowl. With all of the criticism over that call, folks overlooked the preparation by the Patriots. They knew that was a play the Seahawks liked and had some success with. During practice, Malcolm Butler was late when they practiced that play because of how he reacted...Belichik told him "When you see that, just break hard to that spot".

I'd be confident in betting that the Niners coaches were saying similar things when preparing for the Lions 4th down package.
None of that preparation caused a dropped pass.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the players actually executed.....we might not even be talking about this.

Success doesn't change the risk involved. Sometimes conservative is the better move.