• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"when you come to Kansas city, homie, better keep your cool cuz...

WE'RE..!

GONNA...!

BEAT...!

THE...!

HELL OUTTA YOU...!

hehehe...

Don't have to tell me about the cold. Been to Browns games at old Municipal Stadium in December. Dumbasses that built it faced the open end of the stadium towards Lake Erie.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have to tell me about the cold. Been to Browns games at old Municipal Stadium in December. Dumbasses that built it faced the open end of the stadium towards Lake Erie.
lol i gotta put a cold weather open stadium on my bucket list....

i may freeze to death, but hey i could say i did it...

so far i got the Coluseum, SoFi Stadium, Oakland-Alameda coluseum, and Qualcomm Stadium. lol all warm weather...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss @dtgold88 @Stakesarehigh Saw an interesting stat, no way am I comparing him to Dan Marino but for all the hate he gets he has been productive. I get he had a bad 2nd season but a ton of turnaround on this coaching staff.

“There’s two guys in the history of the NFL that within their first three seasons have thrown for 25 touchdowns, they’ve thrown for 11,000-plus yards and they’ve had a passer rating of 89 or more: Dan Marino and Baker Mayfield,”
Baker had a shaky 2nd season of course- mostly due to the idiot that was Freddie Kitchens and a very poor offensive line--- being in 3 different systems his first 2 years did not help either.

but this is the same guy that did not even start the first 3 games of his rookie year and still broke the rookie touchdown record for QB's- and then once he had a little experience in Stefanki's system, had top 3 QB 2nd half of the season.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything you can support with facts? Never mind something tells me you wont be consulted no matter where ND moves or does not move.

You were the one who seemed fine with the ACC which is even more about 1 team and little else. Such fertile recruiting ground to be as bad as they are, no? when's the last time FSU or Miami really mattered? A Carolina? Wisconsin - yes, Wisconsin - has probably lapped all of them.
the ACC is definitely a one team league football wise. Of course its amazing at basketball.

But football its a one team league- and that one team is dependent on the coach and does not exactly have a storied history. If/when Dabo leaves, itll be interesting to see if they built the program up to a level where it can still stay nationally relevant or kind of goes back to being a team that really does not have much going for it from a national perspective.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the ACC is definitely a one team league football wise. Of course its amazing at basketball.

But football its a one team league- and that one team is dependent on the coach and does not exactly have a storied history. If/when Dabo leaves, itll be interesting to see if they built the program up to a level where it can still stay nationally relevant or kind of goes back to being a team that really does not have much going for it from a national perspective.

Look, I have criticized ACC football plenty. The middle of the conference has been down the past few years.

But, it is more than a 1 team conference.

Miami, Florida St, and VA Tech all have rich football histories.

And let’s not act like the Big 10 is on the same level as the SEC. it just isn’t.

Certainly the 2nd strongest football league in the NCAA right now, but the gap between the SEC and the Big 10 is wider than the gap between the Big 10 and the ACC

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact: Fielding Yost was a bigot
Fact: That bigotry created ND the National brand
Fact: ND doesn’t need to attach itself to any conference to pay their bills
Fact: The Rust Belt is dead
Fact: the South grows and the disparity between the quality of HS football in the South vs the Midwest grows each decade
Fact: Notre Dame won’t be joining the Big Ten
wont argue with the first 3 as I don't really care much about ND history nor their finances...4th, 5th and 6th are opinion.

as to your 5th pearl of wisdom.....With such fertile recruiting in the South, why are so many teams in the ACC not named Clemson from afterthoughts to awful (I ask knowing irrational people like you are not fans of direct questions and likely wont answer...but maybe you surprise me this time?)? How has Wisconsin managed to lap pretty much all of them? Have any been better than even Iowa, Northwestern or MSU on a consistent basis (let alone PSU or - ugh UM)?

FYI, don't really care if ND joins the BIG or not. Just a topic of conversation. My team should be OK, either way.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree really good at basketball, too....though BIG has caught up there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, I have criticized ACC football plenty. The middle of the conference has been down the past few years.

And let’s not act like the Big 10 is on the same level as the SEC. it just isn’t.

Certainly the 2nd strongest football league in the NCAA right now, but the gap between the SEC and the Big 10 is wider than the gap between the Big 10 and the ACC
In the way ND Boy was talking it's a 1 team conference. In The Now, none of those teams are even relevant in the CFP picture. "Rich history" hasn't helped any of them lately.

That last comment of yours was kooky talk. Though they have more titles, OSU is on Bama's level and, yes, Clemson is with both (and, sure, right now could rank OSU 3rd in the last half decade among the 3).

But in the last half decade or maybe even decade other than Georgia and LSU and their one blip season, who has made any real noise? You could put Wisky on their level overall in that time. PSU has been on level of LSU. Hell, Iowa, UM and even Northwestern could hold their own against whoever you think are 4-6 in SEC in that time.. Each conference has their dregs, too. Might put Rutgers at very bottom, but Vandy, the Mississippis, Arkansas, USCe, Kentucky are dregs.

And, yes, in nearly this entire time the ACC is Clemson and no one else. Who would you say has been on the level of Wisconsin?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wont argue with the first 3 as I don't really care much about ND history nor their finances...4th, 5th and 6th are opinion.

as to your 5th pearl of wisdom.....With such fertile recruiting in the South, why are so many teams in the ACC not named Clemson from afterthoughts to awful (I ask knowing irrational people like you are not fans of direct questions and likely wont answer...but maybe you surprise me this time?)? How has Wisconsin managed to lap pretty much all of them? Have any been better than even Iowa, Northwestern or MSU on a consistent basis (let alone PSU or - ugh UM)?

FYI, don't really care if ND joins the BIG or not. Just a topic of conversation. My team should be OK, either way.
Maybe people don’t answer your “direct” questions because they reveal a bias and a desire to deflect. You’re attempting to defeat the KNOWN demographics of college football that clearly shows that there are far more recruits in the South today than in the North. This is a major divergence from the norm some 50-60 years ago. You think that by pointing out the institutional failures in running the football programs at places like Miami and recently FSU that this is somehow evidence that the demographics I speak of don’t exist. It’s flawed reasoning to say the least. Why? Because you forget that the SEC competes in the same region for recruits. You also conveniently don’t point out that your own team no longer leans on Ohio recruiting the way they once did. In OSU’s 2022 class they have 7 commits from below the Mason Dixon line and 4 recruits from their home state. To your Wisconsin Iowa and NW point…some one has to be the tallest midget in the horrid Big Ten West. Additionally, Michigan St died when Dantonio retired. He had Sparty punching above their weight class. Projecting that going forward is questionable at best. I agree that OSU will be fine. They’d be fine in any conference in any situation. That doesn’t mean that the B10’s best days arebehind them.

Do you want to talk next about the foolish decision to add Rutgers and Maryland based on a business model that has quickly become foolish as cable and streaming has evolved before our eyes?

Would also add that as you closed your post you helped me evidence what I said last week. You’re a Fan Boi. You admit that the B10 no looka so good but does it really bother you? No. Cause your team will be just fine.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nah.

neither team has really been any good at all lately. Miami especially has been unfathomably bad after the heights that it once reached.

Since 2008- the University of Miami has 1 bowl victory- the Russell Athletic Bowl against West Virginia. Think of that- since 2008 ONE BOWL WIN. in the russell athletic bowl. They made the Orange Bowl in 2017 and lost to Wisconsin- their only "major" bowl unless you count the Independence Bowl which they made twice since 2008 and lost to Louisiana Tech in 2019 by a score of 14-0 (U of M losing to Louisiana Tech 14-0? embarassing)-- and lost to south carolina in the independence bowl in 2014.

One bowl win since 2008- against WVU. Before that- the only bowl win since 2004- was the MPC Computer Bowl vs. Nevada in 2006. YIKES.

Florida State has obviously been miles ahead of UM. Won the BCS title in 2014 (2013 season). Made the playoff and lost to oregon in 2015 (2014 season). However, the last 4 seasons have seen them take a steep decline. After Fisher left they seem to be floundering.

Last year no bowl- they were 3-6. Year before lost the Sun Bowl after going 6-7 Year before no bowl after going 5-7. Year before beat Southern Miss in the Independence Bowl after going 7-6.--- been a pretty mediocre to bad the last few years.

The last 4 years their aggregate record is 21-26. Definitely trending downward it seems.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- its really hard for me to believe that since 2004- for the last 16 years-- the Hurricanes have 2 bowl wins- the MPC Computer bowl in 2006 and the Russell Athletic Bowl. While getting blanked by Louisiana Tech 14-0 in 2019.

Watching McGahee, Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow, Jonathan Vlma, Antrel Rolle, Sean Taylor etc.... in what is one of the best college football games ever played against the Buckeyes sporting Clarett and Krenzel and Michael Jenkins , Chris Gamble, Mike Doss, Will Allen.....

Never would have guessed what would happen to that program in the next 2 decades.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say- the decline of FSU and UM has helped Ohio State- they seem to regularly poach some of the best Florida players now.

probably not a coincidence that as those 2 declined that Clemson ascended either - they seem to be the main benefactors of those 2 teams getting worse- and probably get a lot of a recruits those teams used to get. Just a guess- but logical.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe people don’t answer your “direct” questions because they reveal a bias and a desire to deflect. You’re attempting to defeat the KNOWN demographics of college football that clearly shows that there are far more recruits in the South today than in the North. This is a major divergence from the norm some 50-60 years ago. You think that by pointing out the institutional failures in running the football programs at places like Miami and recently FSU that this is somehow evidence that the demographics I speak of don’t exist. It’s flawed reasoning to say the least. Why? Because you forget that the SEC competes in the same region for recruits. You also conveniently don’t point out that your own team no longer leans on Ohio recruiting the way they once did. In OSU’s 2022 class they have 7 commits from below the Mason Dixon line and 4 recruits from their home state. To your Wisconsin Iowa and NW point…some one has to be the tallest midget in the horrid Big Ten West. Additionally, Michigan St died when Dantonio retired. He had Sparty punching above their weight class. Projecting that going forward is questionable at best. I agree that OSU will be fine. They’d be fine in any conference in any situation. That doesn’t mean that the B10’s best days arebehind them.

Do you want to talk next about the foolish decision to add Rutgers and Maryland based on a business model that has quickly become foolish as cable and streaming has evolved before our eyes?

Would also add that as you closed your post you helped me evidence what I said last week. You’re a Fan Boi. You admit that the B10 no looka so good but does it really bother you? No. Cause your team will be just fine.
ehhh- part of that is the coaching philospohies though.

Tressell of course heavily recruited Ohio.

Urban was more of a nationwide guy. Day has kind of copied Urban.

While I think your general hypothesis is correct- you gotta remember "south of the mason dixon line" is a LOT bigger area than Ohio-

it would be interesting to see historical stats of where the top 300 prospects came from and see if there is statistical evidence - rather than just anecdotal evidence. I truly dont know if there is or isnt.