• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, coach, but no. This crap ain't flyin' anymore. I want the name of your source, and i want it NOW... :D

the check's in the mail. thanks in advance...:heh:

While I have nothing to back this up at the moment I'm thinkin' @tlance 's source is either Lavar Ball or that fella in the NBA threads that thinks his phoney baloney years in the minor leagues makes him an expert on all athletes.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I have nothing to back this up at the moment I'm thinkin' @tlance 's source is either Lavar Ball or that fella in the NBA threads that thinks his phoney baloney years in the minor leagues makes him an expert on all athletes.
lol, i'm just messin' with the guy. 'sides, his info on Mahomes before he blew up was right on the money. so i have NO reason to doubt the guy. wish we coulda saw more of Joe Burrow last season, but it's clear the Bungles BETTER get an O-line in front of him before they get him killed...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with that.

Gotta say I'm disappointed. I mean how you doing? Got some ribs in my smoker for later today and macaroni salad to go with it, none of that potato salad shit. And waiting for the Naismith HOF induction ceremony.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, i'm just messin' with the guy. 'sides, his info on Mahomes before he blew up was right on the money. so i have NO reason to doubt the guy. wish we coulda saw more of Joe Burrow last season, but it's clear the Bungles BETTER get an O-line in front of him before they get him killed...

I'll be rooting for Burrow, except for when he plays the Browns obviously. I like that kid. And Money Mahomes. Always like watching him play. But I hope he has a lousy week one. :heh:

Damn right with a bad o-line Burrow's gonna get killed. He threw 404 passes in the 10 games he played last season. They need more balance. Can't be throwing the ball that much week in & week out.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really doubt the guy but also not all in as I've only seen his analysis of one year of QBs.

Other thing is you could make the same analysis just by going with previous drafts and success/failure of QBs. In addition, hard to trust something that has nothing to do with what the player did in games. He said he thinks his friend has never seen most of these guys play. I'm sure how they throw to WRs covered by air, jump, run, SPARQ scores, etc. matter but nothing on the field does?

Him not being a football guy also does not matter to me as Dipodesta has shown you can be successful without being a football guy (or a baseball guy as he had little baseball experience when he went to the As). But he looks at on field performance.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really doubt the guy but also not all in as I've only seen his analysis of one year of QBs.

Other thing is you could make the same analysis just by going with previous drafts and success/failure of QBs. In addition, hard to trust something that has nothing to do with what the player did in games. He said he thinks his friend has never seen most of these guys play. I'm sure how they throw to WRs covered by air, jump, run, SPARQ scores, etc. matter but nothing on the field does?

Him not being a football guy also does not matter to me as Dipodesta has shown you can be successful without being a football guy (or a baseball guy as he had little baseball experience when he went to the As). But he looks at on field performance.

Of course it all matters. His data is used in conjunction with scouting reports.

There are QBs who do really well in his data but are graded poorly by scouts. Those guys aren’t any more likely to succeed than a Haskins type.

The key is looking at the elite prospects who have the tools, then using his data to determine which players are most likely to succeed and which will fail.

I don’t expect it will be 100%, but as of now it has yet to miss a star or a bust. So the NFL teams using this data are far more likely to hit on their QB picks than a team that doesn’t have it.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it all matters. His data is used in conjunction with scouting reports.

There are QBs who do really well in his data but are graded poorly by scouts. Those guys aren’t any more likely to succeed than a Haskins type.

The key is looking at the elite prospects who have the tools, then using his data to determine which players are most likely to succeed and which will fail.

I don’t expect it will be 100%, but as of now it has yet to miss a star or a bust. So the NFL teams using this data are far more likely to hit on their QB picks than a team that doesn’t have it.
I’m coming into this conversation very late but I have a question. Not sure if you and your guy have discussed Jalen Hurts. Most Eagles fans want to give him a chance. I’m the guy saying he’s no better than almost good enough but not a guy who can take you to a Super Bowl.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m coming into this conversation very late but I have a question. Not sure if you and your guy have discussed Jalen Hurts. Most Eagles fans want to give him a chance. I’m the guy saying he’s no better than almost good enough but not a guy who can take you to a Super Bowl.
Great guy but just wait until the league figures out all you have to do is cover his first read. I watched a college offense have to drastically change their playbook because of it. Admittedly OU has the most complicated scheme in the game but still I saw this first hand.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great guy but just wait until the league figures out all you have to do is cover his first read. I watched a college offense have to drastically change their playbook because of it. Admittedly OU has the most complicated scheme in the game but still I saw this first hand.
He had 4 starts last year and what you’re attesting to played out. His first half numbers were much better than his second half numbers. D Coordinators needed about 3 or 4 series to figure the guy out and the offense shut down.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, if his top traits are big and big arm I'm gonna say fail every time. don't need to see anything else. Pretty sure I'll be right with that approach a lot more than wrong.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would imagine as a 2nd rounder it's pretty easy to guess far more likely to not amount to much. Of course, there are exceptions, but vast majority would not be.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has to be so tough to grade these QBs and probably why they get it wrong so much. They guys at the top schools like OU, Bama, OSU, Clemson are playing with so much more talent than the other team. Often well protected, throwing to wide open receivers. I guess ya need to look for those plays like you mention where they are looking at their 2nd, 3rd, 4th reads and/or have to make a dart into a tight window.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has to be so tough to grade these QBs and probably why they get it wrong so much. They guys at the top schools like OU, Bama, OSU, Clemson are playing with so much more talent than the other team. Often well protected, throwing to wide open receivers. I guess ya need to look for those plays like you mention where they are looking at their 2nd, 3rd, 4th reads and/or have to make a dart into a tight window.

They were talking about that exact thing on Cowherd before the draft when the rumor was that the Niners were going to take Jones from Bama.

They were saying that he's throwing to guys who open by 5-10 yards with a completely clean pocket. He rarely had to even go to his 2nd read, let alone his 3rd or 4th.

They were saying that's why QB's from those schools will often struggle more than a guy from a smaller school. The NFL is about tight windows and "throwing guys open". A lot of the QB's at the big schools never really had to do that. While the smaller school guys who are playing with less talent around them are having to do at least some of that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hurts rated pretty low. Not quite as low as some like Haskins, but low enough to think that he isn’t going to a viable starter long term.

He is super athletic, so good play calling can hide a lot of his weaknesses. But I think you are right on about Hurts.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, if his top traits are big and big arm I'm gonna say fail every time. don't need to see anything else. Pretty sure I'll be right with that approach a lot more than wrong.

That was Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were talking about that exact thing on Cowherd before the draft when the rumor was that the Niners were going to take Jones from Bama.

They were saying that he's throwing to guys who open by 5-10 yards with a completely clean pocket. He rarely had to even go to his 2nd read, let alone his 3rd or 4th.

They were saying that's why QB's from those schools will often struggle more than a guy from a smaller school. The NFL is about tight windows and "throwing guys open". A lot of the QB's at the big schools never really had to do that. While the smaller school guys who are playing with less talent around them are having to do at least some of that.
Yep....much as I like Fields there were not many games OSU played where I thought the outcome would have changed if we switched QBs for each team.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes.
agree it was about allen and might have scared me off (and I was wrong about him). Thought it was "one of" the top traits about Mahomes, not THE top trait.

also was the top trait of Russell, Boller, Leaf, akili Smith, Dan McGuire off the top of my head. I want to see smart and accurate as the top traits if it's a guy my team wants.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts rated pretty low. Not quite as low as some like Haskins, but low enough to think that he isn’t going to a viable starter long term.

He is super athletic, so good play calling can hide a lot of his weaknesses. But I think you are right on about Hurts.
A mid-late 2nd round QB who was the 5th QB selected rated "pretty low"? weird as most of this type are really successful.

wait...what?