• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My wayyyyyyyyyy to offseason mock including 4 round mock

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is won in the trenches by the "fat guys" so they say

Give me a choice of Bosa, Jacks, Reed, Spence, Smith, vs Ramsey or Hargraves
I'm picking a DL or a LB all day does not mean that the CB position does not need attention but I build from the Line back don't mean its right just the way I would do it

I can see the other side that the elite CB gives the DL 1 extra step to get there with coverage

If the Boys don't take a QB at 4 give me Miles Jack and I smile all season long

other opinions will vary and that's what keeps a message board running

did you see what a defensive line did to Carolina? they reduced Newton to a non-factor

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That D was a whole hell of a lot more than just DL.

i agree but it was the constant pressure from Ware, MIller, etc that kept him from the game plan and the secondary and linebackers stepped it more than a couple of notches too. although Talib nearly cost them early

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously think about it- how damn good is that D historically. Some of the All Time greats- 70s Steelers, 85 Bears, Ravens, Bucaneers, Seahawks. I'm sure I have left out a few, but to me they are right there.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Health played a big role for them as well.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rick Gosselin DMN writer rated the Denver Defense the best one to ever play in the SuperBowl high praise from Rick.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rick Gosselin DMN writer rated the Denver Defense the best one to ever play in the SuperBowl high praise from Rick.
Best ever??? What were they drinking at Ricks SB party? I'm not sure they were better than the Seahawks D from two years ago when they beat Den

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its in the Dallas Morning News Sports section

no link available yet

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you see what a defensive line did to Carolina? they reduced Newton to a non-factor
Dude you need to give up on that point of the d-line vs corners. You still won't let it go.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see our needs as 1a. DL and 1b. Secondary
IMO DL and Secondary are too broad. Within each of those categories we have needs.

Clearly Carr and his contract are not a match. IMO he needs to go. I am fine with Claiborne on the team but would like to see him as #3. Safety is a mess. Maybe Jones can be the FS (or the #2 Corner, but he looks like a safety to me). We saw a lot of good with him, but we saw a lot of bad too. Maybe Church or Wilcox can be a good SS with a real FS next to them that can cover a ton of ground and allow them to play in the box 3/4s of the time, but they both sure have their warts as well. So when I look at the secondary I see (assuming a healthy Scandrick) 3 spots that need a BIG upgrade. Maybe Jones fills one, maybe Church/Wilcox fill one and maybe Claiborne steps up and fills one...but I don't like going into a season with 3 maybes out of 4. Our pass defense has been pathetic 2 out of the last 3 years and I don't want to see it happen again.

On the DL we just don't know what we have. Not to sound like a broken record, but I think Gregory and Lawrence could be OK as the pass rushing DEs. But playing those two on early downs with what we have been running out there at DT would be a running opponents dream. Could you imagine how our OL would toss that group around? So we clearly need another player to me in the mix and especially on early downs. We did see some young guys that may be good in this type of rotation and Mincey IMO would be as well. The guy that has disappointed me on this DL is Crawford. He was average at best last year and we planned for and paid him to be very good. He is still young and should get better, but this defense won't work great with him playing the 3 tech like he did last year. What I love about him is his flexibility. I still think his best position is SDE and bump inside on passing downs. But this would require getting a starting 3 tech which is not very easy to do. Our 1 techs have been average at best and a guy like Hayden should never be playing a major role. He should be a last guy off the bench rotation guy and Terrell McClain needs to get healthy or he can't help any team. So IMO there is a lot of room to upgrade on the DL. I think if we could add one stud it would improve the entire group.

As far as the draft goes, I think at #4 you take the guy you think becomes a great player. It doesn't matter what position he plays...we need most of them. And you don't draft a guy for year one, you draft him looking at a 5 or even 10 year window...To me, that guy is sill Bosa.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO DL and Secondary are too broad. Within each of those categories we have needs.

Clearly Carr and his contract are not a match. IMO he needs to go. I am fine with Claiborne on the team but would like to see him as #3. Safety is a mess. Maybe Jones can be the FS (or the #2 Corner, but he looks like a safety to me). We saw a lot of good with him, but we saw a lot of bad too. Maybe Church or Wilcox can be a good SS with a real FS next to them that can cover a ton of ground and allow them to play in the box 3/4s of the time, but they both sure have their warts as well. So when I look at the secondary I see (assuming a healthy Scandrick) 3 spots that need a BIG upgrade. Maybe Jones fills one, maybe Church/Wilcox fill one and maybe Claiborne steps up and fills one...but I don't like going into a season with 3 maybes out of 4. Our pass defense has been pathetic 2 out of the last 3 years and I don't want to see it happen again.

On the DL we just don't know what we have. Not to sound like a broken record, but I think Gregory and Lawrence could be OK as the pass rushing DEs. But playing those two on early downs with what we have been running out there at DT would be a running opponents dream. Could you imagine how our OL would toss that group around? So we clearly need another player to me in the mix and especially on early downs. We did see some young guys that may be good in this type of rotation and Mincey IMO would be as well. The guy that has disappointed me on this DL is Crawford. He was average at best last year and we planned for and paid him to be very good. He is still young and should get better, but this defense won't work great with him playing the 3 tech like he did last year. What I love about him is his flexibility. I still think his best position is SDE and bump inside on passing downs. But this would require getting a starting 3 tech which is not very easy to do. Our 1 techs have been average at best and a guy like Hayden should never be playing a major role. He should be a last guy off the bench rotation guy and Terrell McClain needs to get healthy or he can't help any team. So IMO there is a lot of room to upgrade on the DL. I think if we could add one stud it would improve the entire group.

As far as the draft goes, I think at #4 you take the guy you think becomes a great player. It doesn't matter what position he plays...we need most of them. And you don't draft a guy for year one, you draft him looking at a 5 or even 10 year window...To me, that guy is sill Bosa.

wow, can't argue with any of this except Claiborne. cut Carr, sign someone like J. Jenkins & draft Hargreaves.
move Jones to FS with Wilcox as his backup. sign a FA SS like Abdul-Quaddus and look to the 3rd or 4th round for his backup.

Lawrence and Gregory are our passing down DE's but we need at least 2 DE's to back them up especially on running downs. i think we can do better than Mincey but most here like him so i concede that he will be in our plans. i still think we need at least DT's. Jaye Howard and Brandon Mebane are still my choices going the FA market.

depending what JJ does, we take the best available with our 1st rounder but i think he tries to trade down and pick extra pick(s)

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, can't argue with any of this except Claiborne. cut Carr, sign someone like J. Jenkins & draft Hargreaves.
move Jones to FS with Wilcox as his backup. sign a FA SS like Abdul-Quaddus and look to the 3rd or 4th round for his backup.

Lawrence and Gregory are our passing down DE's but we need at least 2 DE's to back them up especially on running downs. i think we can do better than Mincey but most here like him so i concede that he will be in our plans. i still think we need at least DT's. Jaye Howard and Brandon Mebane are still my choices going the FA market.

depending what JJ does, we take the best available with our 1st rounder but i think he tries to trade down and pick extra pick(s)
Wilcox is not a FS. His ball skills and angles make him a huge liability. Perhaps he could be a decent in the box SS, but who knows.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy that has disappointed me on this DL is Crawford. He was average at best last year and we planned for and paid him to be very good.

yep he had a disappointing year. There was a reason though if you did not know. He had a torn rotator cuff that was so bad he could not lift his arm high enough to brush his teeth. It happened in September. Mike Fisher of 105.3 the fan first reported this after the season.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjsqciUpuvKAhXILyYKHf56DmoQFgg2MAQ&url=http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/01/07/cowboys-dt-tyrone-crawford-tweets-shoulder-surgery-thursday-went-great&usg=AFQjCNGzEZPWQckq4gV_Jipejrf1nKCqNA&bvm=bv.113943665,d.eWE

DMN confirms it here

Hopefully he reaches full potential this season

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilcox is not a FS. His ball skills and angles make him a huge liability. Perhaps he could be a decent in the box SS, but who knows.

well then cut him and bring in someone either thru the draft or FA to back up Jones

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well then cut him and bring in someone either thru the draft or FA to back up Jones
That very well could happen, but how many guys do you think you are going to replace in one offseason?