• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Top 30 Current NBA Players

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't continue my irrational Kobe hate now that he's retired.

For what it's worth, Marcus Smart is closing the gap to take over Draymond's spot.

Diamond's antics are just fresh on the mind because Smart started his vacation MUCH sooner...lol

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't continue my irrational Kobe hate now that he's retired.

For what it's worth, Marcus Smart is closing the gap to take over Draymond's spot.

Diamond's antics are just fresh on the mind because Smart started his vacation MUCH sooner...lol

I hear ya about your Kobe hate- but to say you hate Dray more than you did Kobe is HUGE!!!! :dhd:

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Because that was 100% Aldridge.

Yeah, last time they won less than 50 games was 1998-99.

Coincidentally, they won the NBA Championship that year during what some like to call the "asterisk" season.

I'm looking forward to seeing Aldridge and Kawhi elevate this Team.

I have always felt that Aldridge didn't get his due because he played in Portland.

Now it's put up, or shut up, time.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, last time they won less than 50 games was 1998-99.

Coincidentally, they won the NBA Championship that year during what some like to call the "asterisk" season.

I'm looking forward to seeing Aldridge and Kawhi elevate this Team.

I have always felt that Aldridge didn't get his due because he played in Portland.

Now it's put up, or shut up, time.

Especially now that old man TD has passed on the torch.

It's just too bad for him & the Spurs- and possibly the rest of the elite teams in the league- that the Warriors new core are relatively young & have no problem signing multi-season deals.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially now that old man TD has passed on the torch.

It's just too bad for him & the Spurs- and possibly the rest of the elite teams in the league- that the Warriors new core are relatively young & have no problem signing multi-season deals.

Exactly!

I am not going to look down on anybody who fails to win titles for as long as this Warrior core is together. If Aldridge and Kawhi can keep the Spurs in contention for the next 4+ years, then we might have to consider that a success. This Warrior squad could become good enough to make everyone else irrelevant unless they get injured.

Reactions: LAD

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lastly, you keep talking about who is likely to make the allstar team as if that justifies their ranking. I got news for you. The best 24 players in the league are never all on the allstar team. If that is your main criteria, you really should reconsider. I doubt Klay and Dray both make the allstar team this year, but that does not mean they aren't top 25 players.

All-Star game isn't exactly my criteria. A player's role for the upcoming season is more likely to be. Klay is likely going to have to adjust to much fewer scoring opportunities. Aldridge dropped in my 2015 rankings from my 2014 ones, because he was entering a new system in San Antonio, and one of the best at that. He had fit in quite seamlessly, and deserves tremendous credit for that as we rank our players here in 2016.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All-Star game isn't exactly my criteria. A player's role for the upcoming season is more likely to be. Klay is likely going to have to adjust to much fewer scoring opportunities. Aldridge dropped in my 2015 rankings from my 2014 ones, because he was entering a new system in San Antonio, and one of the best at that. He had fit in quite seamlessly, and deserves tremendous credit for that as we rank our players here in 2016.

Well, but aren't these ranks supposed to be for who the best players are? Role should not matter if that is what we are discussing. Otherwise, Westbrook and Harden would be 1 and 2 on everybody's list.

Also, as mentioned by Sushi and previously by me, Klay probably sees his role change less than anybody else. He may get a few less touches, but I don't think he loses many shots and likely gains efficiency. I think you are pretty far off on your analysis of GS and what Klay's role is likely to be.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, but aren't these ranks supposed to be for who the best players are? Role should not matter if that is what we are discussing. Otherwise, Westbrook and Harden would be 1 and 2 on everybody's list.

Also, as mentioned by Sushi and previously by me, Klay probably sees his role change less than anybody else. He may get a few less touches, but I don't think he loses many shots and likely gains efficiency. I think you are pretty far off on your analysis of GS and what Klay's role is likely to be.

It's not rocket science. Klay's value comes in large part from his scoring, which is going to take a hit with Steph and KD on the same team. Klay is a good defender, but he doesn't offer much in terms of rebounds or assists. He's going to have to find ways to impact games besides scoring, and it's going to be an adjustment for him. If he is relegated to "spot up" shooter role, he's merely a role player and as I've brought up once before in this thread, spot up shooters rarely make stars. And no @Mecca , Reggie Miller and Chris Mullin don't qualify as "spot-up shooters". Sorry. Mullin in his prime could score in a variety of ways, while Reggie made a living of working through screens.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you're free to disagree- however, awards are usually given to the best & NOT the runner ups. :nod:

...And it's safe to assume Gasol didn't get too many votes for DPOY this year with all the games he's missed...Might as well include Derrick Rose on your list after the MVP he won five years ago.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not rocket science. Klay's value comes in large part from his scoring, which is going to take a hit with Steph and KD on the same team. Klay is a good defender, but he doesn't offer much in terms of rebounds or assists. He's going to have to find ways to impact games besides scoring, and it's going to be an adjustment for him. If he is relegated to "spot up" shooter role, he's merely a role player and as I've brought up once before in this thread, spot up shooters rarely make stars. And no @Mecca , Reggie Miller and Chris Mullin don't qualify as "spot-up shooters". Sorry. Mullin in his prime could score in a variety of ways, while Reggie made a living of working through screens.

Well again, you are making assumptions about Klay's role and basing your argument of what his stat line might be. Regardless of what the stats say, he is a great player that every GM in the league would kill to have. I don't care about the stats, I am basing my rankings on how good the player is.

Just because Durant is in town does not mean Klay got worse or Westbrook got better. Their respective roles may change, but that does not make either man more or less valuable. It just means one will have a higher usage rate and the others may drop a bit. Unlike Kevin Love, Klay's impact on the game will still be obvious to anybody who understands basketball.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Klay at #12 last year...His ranking this year is more based on this season's outlook...Never considered a "great" playmaker, Klay has now to prove he can be an effective ball-mover now with both Steph and Durant in the fold.
ill tell ya one thing--during the finals- klay scares the shit out of me behind the 3 pt line-- but put a guy in his face and make him put it on the floor and he loses a ton of effectiveness. I think he would still be really really good outside of GSW- but i dont think he would be nearly as highly regarded as he is---if he got the defensive attention guys like harden or melo got- his efficiency would plummet in my opinion.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:scratch:

A spot-up shooter is a player who runs to a spot on the floor, catches the ball and shoots quickly.

Former NBA players who were among the best at the art include Reggie Miller, Dell Curry, Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, Chris Mullin and Allan Houston.

Some of the best in the game today are Kyle Korver, Danny Green, J.J. Redick, Kevin Martin, Courtney Lee, Ray Allen, Channing Frye, Curry and Klay Thompson.

Read more here: NBA spot-up shooters are hard to find, defend

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill tell ya one thing--during the finals- klay scares the shit out of me behind the 3 pt line-- but put a guy in his face and make him put it on the floor and he loses a ton of effectiveness. I think he would still be really really good outside of GSW- but i dont think he would be nearly as highly regarded as he is---if he got the defensive attention guys like harden or melo got- his efficiency would plummet in my opinion.

Klay is definitely a secondary option, but honestly he'd be great with a pairing of any other superstar in the league.

What people forget is that on a nightly basis, he chases around the best perimeter player of the other team, regardless of position. If they're a SG or a PG, doesn't matter, he's guarding them. When you expend that much energy a night, it takes it's toll on you. In spite of that, Klay is still extremely effective on the offensive end.

In the playoffs, he guarded Harden, Lillard, Westbrook and Kyrie. Those are arguably 4 of the best 5 scoring guards in the NBA. It's also a huge indication of why Klay's rebound numbers have never been good. He's guarding the guys out on the perimeter. Curry is hedged off the secondary guard and has more opportunity for rebounds, which is why his numbers are superior. It's also why Draymond's rebounding numbers aren't better too, because he frequently gets switched out on guards.

Rebounding is about heart, but it's also about opportunity. If you're not around the basket, you're not going to get many shots.

Klay has never been much of a passer, and never will be. But that's fine. He runs around screens, has tons of off-ball movement and has improved his handle a ton.

Lastly for @HurricaneDij39 , Klay doesn't need to be a passer. His role doesn't change with the team. The major thing you're underrating about Klay's impact on the game, is simply the threat of him being on the court. If he's on the court at the same time with Steph and Durant, Klay's defender can't leave him. It opens up more space for KD and Steph to operate. If the defender does leave him, you want Klay to shoot the ball every time he touches it with an open look. If Klay drives to the hoop, Steph and KD's defenders can't help on him, meaning he has more opportunity to go to the bucket. Klay doesn't need to be in a pass-mode mentality. His job is to get buckets and it'll be easier with the defense having to decide whether to help on Steph and KD and leave him open, or stick with Klay and give Steph and KD more room.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...And it's safe to assume Gasol didn't get too many votes for DPOY this year with all the games he's missed...Might as well include Derrick Rose on your list after the MVP he won five years ago.
You're right, he didn't- which by the way- Aldridge wasn't a candidate for DPOY either.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucks' Khris Middleton to have surgery on torn hamstring, out six monthshttp://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/b...ave-surgery-on-torn-hamstring-out-six-months/

Yikes, I might have to revise my rankings after this news. Admittedly, I may have reached a little bit for Middleton, but I absolutely love the kid's game. He's smart, humble, can shoot and defend, and has improved his scoring average as well as his all-around game. I had him scouted as a little-known rookie in Detroit, but I've never invisioned him being as good as he became before the recent injury...Just one of those things I think he'll bounce back from...

@tlance I like to reward players that work their asses of to get to the position they're in, and Middleton certainly isn't as spoiled as Klay...

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lastly for @HurricaneDij39 , Klay doesn't need to be a passer. His role doesn't change with the team. The major thing you're underrating about Klay's impact on the game, is simply the threat of him being on the court. If he's on the court at the same time with Steph and Durant, Klay's defender can't leave him. It opens up more space for KD and Steph to operate. If the defender does leave him, you want Klay to shoot the ball every time he touches it with an open look. If Klay drives to the hoop, Steph and KD's defenders can't help on him, meaning he has more opportunity to go to the bucket. Klay doesn't need to be in a pass-mode mentality. His job is to get buckets and it'll be easier with the defense having to decide whether to help on Steph and KD and leave him open, or stick with Klay and give Steph and KD more room.

As a Warriors fan, you seem quite convinced that Klay's role won't change, but when you consider the roles of the likes of Kevin Love and Chris Bosh having being drastically reduced to mere that of spot-up shooters - As a more neutral fan, I've got to see it first before I rank him as a susperstar-level player...I've got to see that Klay will maintain a similar effectiveness.

And quite frankly, unless their names happen to be Magic, Kareem, and James Worthy - I'm probably not going to rank a set of three teammates in the top ten at the same time.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Warriors fan, you seem quite convinced that Klay's role won't change, but when you consider the roles of the likes of Kevin Love and Chris Bosh having being drastically reduced to mere that of spot-up shooters - As a more neutral fan, I've got to see it first before I rank him as a susperstar-level player...I've got to see that Klay will maintain a similar effectiveness.

And quite frankly, unless their names happen to be Magic, Kareem, and James Worthy - I'm probably not going to rank a set of three teammates in the top ten at the same time.
You seem to be mistaking "role" for "volume". Bosh and Loves roles were completely different from them joining the Heat and Cavs respectively. They had to alter their games tomadjust from not being the focal point of an offense. If you watch Klay, he's always off the ball. He's
not similar to Bosh or Love in that both of those guys always had the ball in their hands and had to learn to play off of it. It's a big reason Love became relegated to a spot up shooter because Lebron and Kyrie command the ball. Klay doeant need to alter his game. He will still run off screens, which will provide even more of a threat with the addition of Durant.

Klay may get less shots but they will be the same exact shots he's always taken. His role doesn't change.

Also I never let my fandom cloud my judgement when talking about basketball strategy itself. Others on here would hopefully be able to attest to that.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is everyone's fascination with Conley? He's not a great scorer, will not get too many assists...Not a great shooter, or defender...He is what he is...A caretaker at such a deep NBA position.

Gasol over Aldridge is also a joke given what LaMarcus was able to accomplish with the Spurs last year.

Agreed. There are many point guards I like more than him.

I wonder the same thing about Jimmy Butler. Why do people always rank this guy so highly? There are so many players better than him.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I never let my fandom cloud my judgement when talking about basketball strategy itself. Others on here would hopefully be able to attest to that.

Didn't mean that as a criticism. For instance as a Nuggets fan I probably have more confidence in this team being able to attract free agents than others do. It's just that being an outside observer there's certain things I'd like to see first before making conclusions.