• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Top 30 Current NBA Players

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a pretty good list overall, but I do have one major beef.

How is Klay 22 and Middleton 25? Klay is a vastly superior version of a similar player. If you value Middleton as much as you currently do, then Klay should be up near the top 10. Ranking Klay 3 spots higher and behind DeRozan just doesn't make sense.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a pretty good list overall, but I do have one major beef.

How is Klay 22 and Middleton 25? Klay is a vastly superior version of a similar player. If you value Middleton as much as you currently do, then Klay should be up near the top 10. Ranking Klay 3 spots higher and behind DeRozan just doesn't make sense.

Had Klay at #12 last year...His ranking this year is more based on this season's outlook...Never considered a "great" playmaker, Klay has now to prove he can be an effective ball-mover now with both Steph and Durant in the fold.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Klay at #12 last year...His ranking this year is more based on this season's outlook...Never considered a "great" playmaker, Klay has now to prove he can be an effective ball-mover now with both Steph and Durant in the fold.

I think Klay's role changes the least out of any of the Big 4 of the Warriors. Klay's game is to be a spot up shooter who has become more adept at going to the rim and creating off the dribble. With as much attention that is going to be paid to Durant and Curry, he's going to be relied upon a bit more for just catch and shoot than he was previously. Klay's game has always been off-ball and he'll be doing very much the same thing this season, IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, if I am going to criticize somebody else's work, I need to be willing to post my own. My list strongly favors players who I believe to be easy for others to work alongside. I highly value 2 way players and guys who move the basketball. These ranks go beyond simply who will produce the best numbers.

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Curry
4. Leonard
5. Westbrook
6. A. Davis
7. George
8. Paul
9. Klay Thompson
10. Butler
11. Lillard
12. Harden
13. Cousins
14. Draymond Green
15. Blake Griffin
16. KAT
17. Wall
18. Irving
19. Drummond
20. Melo
21. M. Gasol
22. Aldridge
23. Lowry
24. Antekoumpo
25. Millsap
26. D. Jordan
27. Conley
28. Favors
29. Isaiah Thomas
30. Kemba Walker

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Klay's role changes the least out of any of the Big 4 of the Warriors. Klay's game is to be a spot up shooter who has become more adept at going to the rim and creating off the dribble. With as much attention that is going to be paid to Durant and Curry, he's going to be relied upon a bit more for just catch and shoot than he was previously. Klay's game has always been off-ball and he'll be doing very much the same thing this season, IMO.

Spot-up shooters rarely make All-Stars, though.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But his role hasn't changed. He's still the same guy he was last year or the year before, perhaps with a bit less volume. I will say though I think its going to be extremely tough to have 4 Warriors All-stars this year. Someone's going to be left off. Klay is a fantastic two way player, so I think that will help him in some voting. I think we'll probably see Draymond left off this year, especially if Anthony Davis and Blake Griffin come back strong. Also have to see how Cousins, Towns, Gasol and Aldridge all play too. Kawhi and KD will likely be locks.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, if I am going to criticize somebody else's work, I need to be willing to post my own. My list strongly favors players who I believe to be easy for others to work alongside. I highly value 2 way players and guys who move the basketball. These ranks go beyond simply who will produce the best numbers.

1. LeBron
2. Durant
3. Curry
4. Leonard
5. Westbrook
6. A. Davis
7. George
8. Paul
9. Klay Thompson
10. Butler
11. Lillard
12. Harden
13. Cousins
14. Draymond Green
15. Blake Griffin
16. KAT
17. Wall
18. Irving
19. Drummond
20. Melo
21. M. Gasol
22. Aldridge
23. Lowry
24. Antekoumpo
25. Millsap
26. D. Jordan
27. Conley
28. Favors
29. Isaiah Thomas
30. Kemba Walker

What the hell is everyone's fascination with Conley? He's not a great scorer, will not get too many assists...Not a great shooter, or defender...He is what he is...A caretaker at such a deep NBA position.

Gasol over Aldridge is also a joke given what LaMarcus was able to accomplish with the Spurs last year.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is everyone's fascination with Conley? He's not a great scorer, will not get too many assists...Not a great shooter, or defender...He is what he is...A caretaker at such a deep NBA position.

Gasol over Aldridge is also a joke given what LaMarcus was able to accomplish with the Spurs last year.
He is very good at managing the game.

But, you are correct.

He has no razamatazz to his game, which is why I thought he'd be perfect for the low profile Spurs.

I have always wondered what his ceiling could be if he was a bit more selfish, offensive minded.

Because of that, he holds some mystique for me.

So, I'm okay with him being borderline top 30.

Last edited:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't speak for Tlance about the Gasol/Aldridge situation. I personally would have Aldridge ahead, even with a fully healthy Gasol.

But for Conley, he's been supremely underrated his entire career. He's really been handcuffed by the system the Grizzlies have employed, but after CP3, he's the most complete PG in the NBA, in my opinion. He's a fantastic defensive player. Offensively he's a great floor general who controls pace/tempo, and he's also a really good distributor. Most of his offense comes within the last 5 seconds of the shot clock and a lot of times he's just asked to bail the team out after a stagnant possession. This is what really hurts his percentages.

Here's the explanation for your questions above:

1) Conley has never been given a scoring role with the team. Again his offense is relegated to bailing the team out after basically being asked to dump the ball down in the post.

2) His assists never show because again he's asked to dump the ball down to the post alot. Add to that he's had to play along side a guy like Tony Allen who doesn't help a whole lot in being able to rack up those swing pass assists like Curry.

3) His shooting percentages are hurt by time after time having to take tough shots to bail his team out.

4) He's actually a really fantastic defensive player. I don't know why you would say he's not a defender. He's on par with CP3 and much better than overrated guys like Westbrook.

Lets put it this way, if you swapped Conley out with Parker in the Spurs system, I have no doubt he would THRIVE. It's all about what he's been asked to do in his career.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Chris Mullin say :lalala:.

But, for every Reggie there are 100 Steve Kerr's.

So, I get your point.

I just don't think Klay will fall into the non-Allstar category unless the Warriors stumble or CJ McCollum and Dame go thermonuclear and make it impossible to leave them both off.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets put it this way, if you swapped Conley out with Parker in the Spurs system, I have no doubt he would THRIVE. It's all about what he's been asked to do in his career.

This is true, but I don't have Tony Parker in my Top 50 at this stage...Conley is just outside. I go for defined skills, not caretakers. There's just nothing about Conley that stands out to me.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Conley is a winner. He plays the game the right way and is an amazing teammate. He has few weaknesses and is one of a very few true PGs in the league today.

He may not be elite, but he is a rare player who could fit any system. Place him on any team in the NBA and he makes them better. I can't say that about every player in the list.

Gasol over Aldridge is no joke either. He is an annual DPOY candidate and the clear leader of a very good Grizzly team. Aldridge, while a terrific player, does not have the impact on defense.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Chris Mullin say :lalala:.

But, for every Reggie there are 100 Steve Kerr's.

So, I get your point.

I just don't think Klay will fall into the non-Allstar category unless the Warriors stumble or CJ McCollum and Dame go thermonuclear and make it impossible to leave them both off.

Well, 24 non-injured players make the All-Star game. Got Klay at #22 this year. In otherwords, I have him borderline in a conference loaded with talent.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, but I don't have Tony Parker in my Top 50 at this stage...Conley is just outside. I go for defined skills, not caretakers. There's just nothing about Conley that stands out to me.

Fair enough.

If I'm building a team though, after my franchise player, I'm taking Conley above a lot of the second tier PG's. Definitely above guys like Isaiah Thomas and Kemba Walker, and personally I would have him above Lowry too. I just think really highly of the guy. Just my opinion, as always.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 24 non-injured players make the All-Star game. Got Klay at #22 this year. In otherwords, I have him borderline in a conference loaded with talent.

Yeah, the West is BRUTAL.

I'm looking forward to seeing who takes another giant step forward like CJ did last year.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

If I'm building a team though, after my franchise player, I'm taking Conley above a lot of the second tier PG's. Definitely above guys like Isaiah Thomas and Kemba Walker, and personally I would have him above Lowry too. I just think really highly of the guy. Just my opinion, as always.

Even though I have Isaiah higher on my list, I would strongly consider Conley over him as well if building a team. Kemba, though is a proven winner from his college days and the unquestioned leader of the Hornets

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the West is BRUTAL.

I'm looking forward to seeing who takes another giant step forward like CJ did last year.

Mo Speights.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mo Speights.

Ugh....okay.

I'm coming around to Mo Buckets.

I would have loved to keep Aldrich.

But, Mo is not a bad backup if in shape and motivated.

Sadly, HE DOESN'T PLAY SF.

Which , in case you missed it the 600 other times I mentioned it, is a real position of need for the Clippers...lol