• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Bears D fix.com

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if Rivera gets fired at Carolina, Trestman better do everything in his power to make him the DC of the Bears in 2014. His record with defenses speaks for itself. Combined with Trestman's offensive expertise, that staff has Super Bowl written all over it.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I just want Shea and Conte gone. Conte's decent in run protection, but in the job which he is supposed to have (as a safety), he is hopelessly inept. He got torn apart by a rookie third rounder last week. Enough is enough. I want the guy gone. Shea is among the worst players in the league, and wastes a critical position. If signing Seymour is what it takes to have Wootoon replace him, then I pray to god that we sign Seymour.

If those two slots get fixed, our defense improves dramatically.

If you want Conte gone, why not Major Wright then. Wright had the worse game this week.

C

cubzzzfanincali

in fact, I just checked Pro Football Focus just now, Major Wright is dead last in the league in Yards Per Cover Snap among all NFL safeties.

So for those of you who don't like Conte, why do you like Wright?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Wright, but he is an excellent short-yardage player, and on the goal line has a natural instinct of who to follow and when to attack with the run. He is also normally a very good run defender. That makes him more useful than Conte, who is like a sieve near the goal line.

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, that's pretty much true of EVERY strong safety versus free safety. The strong safety is down in the box, what do you expect? That's kind of the whole point.

I don't think either Bears safety is tearing it up this season. They both had pretty good starts and have had a rough couple of last weeks. But to my mind, the fact that BOTH safeties have had bad weeks the last two weeks points to the real problem: the Bears lack of a pass rush. If it was just one safety playing badly, it would be one thing. It doesn't help that the Bears LBs are hurt and the guys in there aren't very good coverage LBs....the real problem is a lack of a pass rush.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think they are both strong safeties.

You go open field with a runner and 98 times out of 100 Conte is gonna tackle that guy.

Wright, I would say 90% because he looks more for the highlight hit.

Either one in coverage the pass will be caught 99/100.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, that's pretty much true of EVERY strong safety versus free safety. The strong safety is down in the box, what do you expect? That's kind of the whole point.

Correct. So Major Wright is better at his job than Chris Conte.

C

cubzzzfanincali

no, he isn't. At the goal line, the free safety's job is not to stop the run. If you are counting on the free safety to stop the run at the goal line (or really anywhere), you may as well forfeit. Of the 11 guys on the field, the free safety is the last person for that. The reason they are on the field is for play action or short passes.

Dude, do you even grasp the basics of safety play at all?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not liked either safety from day one. They are not difference makers.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, he isn't. At the goal line, the free safety's job is not to stop the run. If you are counting on the free safety to stop the run at the goal line (or really anywhere), you may as well forfeit. Of the 11 guys on the field, the free safety is the last person for that. The reason they are on the field is for play action or short passes.

Dude, do you even grasp the basics of safety play at all?

What part of him getting dominated in short yardage passing plays (particularly one on one against a TE) has nothing to do with him stopping the pass? You aren't contradicting me at all.

Conte is an okay run defender and terrible pass defender. Major is an excellent run defender and terrible pass defender. Conte plays a position where he is almost always defending the pass, so he is useless and gets beaten time after time (particularly on 3rd down and in the goal line). Major is equally as bad against the pass, but he doesn't play against the pass as much and thus isn't a goal line liability like Conte. This makes Major better at his job.

Capiche?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Major Wright is a poor run defender. In the game this week, he got blown all over the field. PFP had this to say about him this week:

"Majorly Wrong Major Wright (-3.8) really struggled against the Redskins, finding it tough going against both the run and pass. In run defense, he made a pair of defensive stops but also missed a tackle. The attempt was pretty pathetic too, as he lunged rather aimlessly at Morris in a pile of bodies who hardly had to do anything to get around him. The stats don’t really tell the whole story though as Wright, tasked with being the eighth man in the box, was consistently taken out of run plays. He ended up on a bench on one run play where Darrel Young simply never stopped driving Wright as he tried to set the edge. It wasn’t just the fullback who had success, as wide receivers and offensive lineman alike had their way with him. There were serious issues in coverage too, where Wright allowed two of three targets to be complete for 64 yards. The only incompletion was actually a drop by Pierre Garcon, while he allowed significant separation on the two catches by Jordan Reed."

Now, maybe PFF isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. Or maybe you want to make the point that one week does not a player make. Also fine. The problem is, this keeps happening. Major Wright makes more explosive plays when he makes them, but his problem is he often doesn't make them at all.

I don't happen to think he is awful, he is just mediocre, as is Conte. They are serviceable, but not remarkable. I happen to prefer Conte to Wright, because I think Conte plays smarter, particularly on pass defense, which is the primary attribute you should judge a safety by. But neither of them is getting a Pro Bowl vote from me.

The problem I have with this whole subject is I think too many fans are misplacing the problems of the Bears defense on the safeties. These safeties are adequate. Of the position groups on the defense, they are not the problem. You don't have to worry about your last-line-of-defense stopping the run if your, um, front 7 are doing their jobs. Which they aren't.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler has yet to have a good game against GB, so maybe we have a better chance now then you guys think. Most games have been close with us having bad QB play. Maybe just maybe decent QB play and we win. McCown can be decent, even good. He can put up better numbers then Jay ever has against GB. Sad but true. Its gonna be a good matchup I think. We have a lot of O weapons now, A QB only has to be decent to be good with that much talent to work with. Gentlemen it's not over until its over.

Like your optimism. I like our chances as well to put up some points w/ Josh leading the O.
The only problem is Rodgers is going against our D. Not a pretty picture.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the desire for Tillman to be a safety, especially a free safety. Free safeties are generally much smaller and faster than Tillman, if anything you'd move him to strong. But Tillman's primary virtue is that he is still the best cover guy on the team and the only guy who realistically can cover the numerous big #1 receivers out there. If he doesn't do that, who is going to? Bowman? We've seen that show before, it's a disaster.

If you want to move Tillman to strong after the season, well, I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but maybe after the season it is a discussion to be had. It seems like a waste of his primary strength. If we don't think he can play corner, then let him go and sign or draft someone else. He's not a textbook safety.

The desire comes from watching Conte play free safety the past 2 years, piss poor. Granted he's sure tackler, but what good does that do when the guys in the end zone? Just trying to replace the weakest link in our D.
Tillman would fit the bill well. He's an experienced vet, who probably could decipher a play quicker than Conte.
Tillman isn't slow. And think his play making abilities would offer more to the cover 2 we run @ safety than CB. JMO.
I believe Bowman would do just fine , especially if he good safety help.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The desire comes from watching Conte play free safety the past 2 years, piss poor. Granted he's sure tackler, but what good does that do when the guys in the end zone? Just trying to replace the weakest link in our D.
Tillman would fit the bill well. He's an experienced vet, who probably could decipher a play quicker than Conte.
Tillman isn't slow. And think his play making abilities would offer more to the cover 2 we run @ safety than CB. JMO.
I believe Bowman would do just fine , especially if he good safety help.

Putting Tillman at safety, just creates a hole at CB.

It's not a smart idea.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like your optimism. I like our chances as well to put up some points w/ Josh leading the O.
The only problem is Rodgers is going against our D. Not a pretty picture.

I suppose the homer retort to that would be that they're missing A LOT of players as well.

However, they still have their QB... and we still have a bad defense that is without it's best player. On paper, he should tear us up.

The only thing working in our favor, is that in these Bears/Packers games. Anything can happen. Remember in 2007 when we were one of the worst teams in football, and beat the 13-3 Packers twice? Once in a 35-7 BLOWOUT? Man, that was sure weird.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah, I guess that's the thing about Bears-Packers games...sometimes they definitely defy reality. Let's hope so here. Because on paper, Aaron Rodgers at home versus a defense with no pass rush.....

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2: to almost every post I have read here. McCown tears up a defense ranked 24th overall and 29th in points allowed and now he can beat the Packers?:L

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose the homer retort to that would be that they're missing A LOT of players as well.

However, they still have their QB... and we still have a bad defense that is without it's best player. On paper, he should tear us up.

The only thing working in our favor, is that in these Bears/Packers games. Anything can happen. Remember in 2007 when we were one of the worst teams in football, and beat the 13-3 Packers twice? Once in a 35-7 BLOWOUT? Man, that was sure weird.

I remember that game. 40 mile per hour winds basically made us one dimensional.....and not the dimension we were very comfortable in

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2: to almost every post I have read here. McCown tears up a defense ranked 24th overall and 29th in points allowed and now he can beat the Packers?:L

What in the HELL could you possibly be talking about? I really hope you're joking.

Not only has everyone no one on this board said that the Bears will win next week, WE'VE AAAAALLLL said that the Bears don't have much of a shot.