• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Bears D fix.com

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the bye week here . Would be a good time to move Peanut to safety. Yeah, I know he hasn't played it, but knows the D scheme. A few thoughts here. 1 he would remove our biggest liability on the D,Chris Conte.
2 it would finally put a play maker @ the safety position. 3 safety would probably be easier on Tillmans knee.
4 Peanut would be a better matchup vs the bigger TEs that have given us problems over the years.
That would put Bowman in Peanuts spot @ CB.
The cover 2 depends on a good pass rush & good safety play, not great CB play. Conte has been pathetic this year.
I've read where Richard Seymour was asking 5 mil. If the Bears could get him for 2.5 for the rest of the year, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I know they had 3.5 to play with. And had to sign Palmer, but how much is he worth for 3-6 games?
The Seymour signing would enable Wooton to move back to DE.
Problem fixed.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of stuff is fun to think about, but it will never happen. Especially midseason.

Even if all of the above did go down. This defense is still ROUGH, and missing their best player in Lance Briggs.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hire Lovie to coach the D.
See if Brian stayed in shape despite retiring.
HGH for D line.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hire Lovie to coach the D.
See if Brian stayed in shape despite retiring.
HGH for D line.

I would love nothing more than for Lovie to come back next year as our DC.

However, that will never happen.

Wish Rod was still here too.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like I said, we are still paying lovie so technically......lol

I thought the D line had their best game, well, of course other than shea, everyone is still on them. they pushed the line of scrimmage to the backfield and washington got thru. most blocks I saw bostic being buried and held by a guard or a tackle. They slipped the line which allowed the defense in the backfield and had a guard or tackle lead the play and block the linebackers. Griffin was really crafty with his ball fakes, pulling the ball away from the running back and going the other direction. The one thing I did not notice was how urlacher used to constantly spy the running qb. Didnt seem like anyone had that responsibility. Linebackers were falling back in zone and the rookie TE was still beating them.

Its far past having the talent to do this, it has been the same talent as last year other than urlacher. I thought Anderson has clearly covered Nick Roach as the strong side backer, but Roach could have also played the middle and has 45 tackles for oakland and was a bigger piece than people thought.

Two weeks to prepare for a monday nite game in Green Bay and players are all on vacation. Emery wont give up picks to improve this team. Seems Tucker needs to maybe get on the field and out of the box or some change along play calling lines.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the D line had their best game, well, of course other than shea, everyone is still on them. they pushed the line of scrimmage to the backfield and washington got thru. most blocks I saw bostic being buried and held by a guard or a tackle. They slipped the line which allowed the defense in the backfield and had a guard or tackle lead the play and block the linebackers. Griffin was really crafty with his ball fakes, pulling the ball away from the running back and going the other direction. The one thing I did not notice was how urlacher used to constantly spy the running qb. Didnt seem like anyone had that responsibility. Linebackers were falling back in zone and the rookie TE was still beating them.

Its far past having the talent to do this, it has been the same talent as last year other than urlacher. I thought Anderson has clearly covered Nick Roach as the strong side backer, but Roach could have also played the middle and has 45 tackles for oakland and was a bigger piece than people thought.

Two weeks to prepare for a monday nite game in Green Bay and players are all on vacation. Emery wont give up picks to improve this team. Seems Tucker needs to maybe get on the field and out of the box or some change along play calling lines.

The only thing that could possibly keep us in this game vs GB would be truly one of the gutsiest and inspired performances we've seen from this team in a long time. That, combined with GB's injuries to Jones, Finley, Cobb, Matthews, etc...

MAYBE... it could help us hang around, and something crazy could happen. However, I'd bet every penny the Pack win this game.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I don't happen to agree with most of what has been written in this thread, but I do understand that we are all desperate for some kind of desperately needed fix. I haven't re-watched the game yet, but I was way less impressed on first watch with the D line than most of you. I thought the interior run defense was atrocious, and that a lot of the penetration the Bears were able to get seemed almost to fall into the hands of what Washington wanted because the Bears got careless and opened up lanes for RG3 to exploit, which is exactly what he did. I also COMPLETELY disagree with the Conte hatred on this board. I don't think people grasp how the safety position is supposed to be played. I realize he is not a highlight reel type of safety, but he has been put in a very difficult position by the play of the D Line and the dropback coverage weakness of the linebackers. I thought his only bad game was New Orleans, but one bad game does not a bad season make. But whatever, your mileage may vary.

I'm not really sure what they can do at this point. Unless Seymour seriously drops his price, he ain't coming here, and I don't know why he would drop and come over to a team whose playoff prospects are now so bleak. I agree he would solve some of the problems, I just think it's wishful thinking.

Maybe the bye week helps them rest up, and Peppers or someone magically reverts to great form, or something. I just know that a bad defense losing it's best player is not good, and we don't just have one or two holes. The thinness of the D line bothered me before the season, it just sucks watching your fears get realized.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought so too, for the first half...seemed to die off in the 2nd.

C

cubzzzfanincali

as for Green Bay, and us winning that game, I'd agree it is extremely unlikely. It seems to me our only real hope is that Matt Forte can have a huge game and set up some play action, and we get lucky and get a couple of turnovers on defense. We are going to surrender points. I actually won't mind seeing some route-jumping and getting burned by Jordy Nelson or someone else on a big play if we are at least trying to turnovers. I don't think we can win with a careful approach. We need to get lucky, and we need to gamble.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get sick of watching all the blatant holdings go uncalled, particularly when they're at the point of attack, or the catalyst of the play.

I know there is a legitimate case for "holding on every play", but it just seems we don't get those calls ever.

I have faith in McCown for a few games, but I fear Cut and Briggs will be out about the same amount of time..back for Dallas MAYBE. Briggs hurts, as he was playing great. One of the few bright spots on this wretched defense. The points against are unbelievable.

I guess we'll get a chance to see Bostic and Kahsihm(sp?) Greene, and if they are our future. Hopefully we can hang in there for a month...

It's frightening to think what GB and Detroit could hang on this D right now :pout:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been wanting Peanut to go to free safety for three years. Then he makes his first pro bowl as a corner and it quieted down. Conte can tackle very well, he cannot defend passes at all. Nobody really blames moving him from strong to free safety on the problems, but we really do have two strong safeties. This reminds me of watching urlacher backtrack and running away from the ball carriers instead of being a sideline to sideline guy. I think Peanut at free safety would allow the other safety to stay in the box and tackle. It would also stop him from pointing fingers as the receiver flies past him and catches touchdowns.

I know Tillmans legs are an issue now, but it would be more running and less cutting and chasing. Bowman did a good job in there, he wont fist footballs out of running backs as much, but being at safety would get him involved in more plays.

Its a very interesting opportunity especially going against rodgers who will pick this secondary apart, even with third string weapons.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I don't get the desire for Tillman to be a safety, especially a free safety. Free safeties are generally much smaller and faster than Tillman, if anything you'd move him to strong. But Tillman's primary virtue is that he is still the best cover guy on the team and the only guy who realistically can cover the numerous big #1 receivers out there. If he doesn't do that, who is going to? Bowman? We've seen that show before, it's a disaster.

If you want to move Tillman to strong after the season, well, I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but maybe after the season it is a discussion to be had. It seems like a waste of his primary strength. If we don't think he can play corner, then let him go and sign or draft someone else. He's not a textbook safety.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of stuff is fun to think about, but it will never happen. Especially midseason.

Even if all of the above did go down. This defense is still ROUGH, and missing their best player in Lance Briggs.

The Seymour signing would probably help keep O-linemen off our LBs, enabling them to make more plays.
But like you said , I doubt it happens.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the desire for Tillman to be a safety, especially a free safety. Free safeties are generally much smaller and faster than Tillman, if anything you'd move him to strong. But Tillman's primary virtue is that he is still the best cover guy on the team and the only guy who realistically can cover the numerous big #1 receivers out there. If he doesn't do that, who is going to? Bowman? We've seen that show before, it's a disaster.

If you want to move Tillman to strong after the season, well, I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but maybe after the season it is a discussion to be had. It seems like a waste of his primary strength. If we don't think he can play corner, then let him go and sign or draft someone else. He's not a textbook safety.

We are just saying he is the best option now. Woodson moved from corner to safety, its a logical move depending on the talent on your team.

I guess there are two pot smokers that were released from Houston, a third round LSU linebacker among them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler has yet to have a good game against GB, so maybe we have a better chance now then you guys think. Most games have been close with us having bad QB play. Maybe just maybe decent QB play and we win. McCown can be decent, even good. He can put up better numbers then Jay ever has against GB. Sad but true. Its gonna be a good matchup I think. We have a lot of O weapons now, A QB only has to be decent to be good with that much talent to work with. Gentlemen it's not over until its over.

running bear828

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry cubz but I was not impressed with Conte. He only seems to be around the ball after the play is done. He fell down after barely being touched by the receiver. Then earlier in the game he was standing watching a receiver streaking across the from the right side of the field while Conte was 15 yards away. He didn't move till the ball was almost in the receivers hand and by then it was too late. Conte only seems to be able to hurt his own players in the preseason games.

running bear828

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say, fire Tucker and hire Urlacher as the new DC. He has been able to be trained by the best DC's in the NFL. He would be an ideal fit. Imagine him training Bostic and Greene. I bet in 2 weeks time or less the defense would start shutting teams down.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say, fire Tucker and hire Urlacher as the new DC. He has been able to be trained by the best DC's in the NFL. He would be an ideal fit. Imagine him training Bostic and Greene. I bet in 2 weeks time or less the defense would start shutting teams down.

:L

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'll take the other side of that bet. I'll give you very generous odds too. 100-1 or so sounds about right.

What are you 15?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want Shea and Conte gone. Conte's decent in run protection, but in the job which he is supposed to have (as a safety), he is hopelessly inept. He got torn apart by a rookie third rounder last week. Enough is enough. I want the guy gone. Shea is among the worst players in the league, and wastes a critical position. If signing Seymour is what it takes to have Wootoon replace him, then I pray to god that we sign Seymour.

If those two slots get fixed, our defense improves dramatically.