• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's @ SD: May 21st - 23rd

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I counted 62 "um"'s and "uh"'s from Servais in his post game tonight. I started noticing it a few post games back and thought tonight I'm gonna count them. Since I started noticing it, it sounds really strange. If any of you watch any post games with Scotty, you'll see what I'm talking about. The guy has trouble making complete, coherent sentences.....kind of like Biden. :suds:

Servais... not only does he speak like Biden.... he runs an incompetent operation just like him as well. :suds:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love Ryan Divish. Was reading his Mariners mailbag and this really stood out to me about ownership responsibility to improve the team:

These would all be legitimate reasons for Mariners ownership to make significant investments in the 2022 team.

But how about this reason:

Professional responsibility.

For the past three seasons, the Mariners have asked fans and corporate sponsors to accept a rebuilding plan that, while necessary and logical, has also cultivated an on-field product that was substandard by every measure.

Mariners chairman John Stanton and general manager Jerry Dipoto asked for patience, admitting that they weren’t putting a team on the field that was going to stop a postseason drought that dates back to 2001. They continually highlighted a plan for future success featuring talented young prospects and future spending to supplement that core group of talent in an effort to draw attention from an MLB team that has been abhorrent to watch.

And during that time, the Mariners continued to let average ticket and concession prices rise on basic yearly inflation while knowingly offering an inferior product than past seasons. They asked people to pay MLB-level prices to often watch retreads, castoffs, waiver claims, never-will-be’s with a few young players and one or two established veterans sprinkled in.

That fans still continue to pay for these prices speaks to their true love of live baseball and loyalty to an organization that hasn’t often reciprocated the event aspect of a game at T-Mobile Park, particularly on warm summer evenings, and the renewed desire to see live sporting events of any sort after a 2020 season without fans.

I’ve said often that this franchise has been doomed by a fear to commit. The Mariners refused to truly commit to a rebuilding process in past years when it was obvious that the MLB roster needed a reset and the farm system was thin in talent. (Remember a losing season and bad teams don’t always equate to rebuilding.) They’ve also refused to commit to doing what it takes to win in terms of acquiring free agents or in midseason trades out of fear of payroll.

Spending the most money on payroll doesn’t guarantee success. Plenty of teams, including the Mariners, have committed to large payrolls and failed to win. But past failures shouldn’t be an impediment to future decisions.

Yes, the A’s and Rays have managed to have consistent success with some of the lowest payrolls in baseball. They’ve done so out of necessity. They would happily operate with a higher budget.

Instead, the Mariners have been wishy-washy. After giving $240 million to Robinson Cano in 2014 and $58 million to Nelson Cruz the next offseason, they decided they had done enough and refused to add legitimate finishing pieces to rosters that were playoff viable largely out of payroll concerns.

How is it justifiable to get close enough to the known goal and not do everything it takes to reach it? Reasons be damned.

To quote William “Bill the Butcher” Cutting from “Gangs of New York”: “I know your works. You are neither cold nor hot. So because you are lukewarm I will spew you out of my mouth. You can build your filthy world without me.”

The Mariners have been lukewarm when it comes to doing what it takes to win in the context of one season or over the span of multiple seasons.

The “step-back” rebuild represented a slight change from that irresolute thinking. But now, three years into it, regardless of the challenges presented by the COVID pandemic, the Mariners can’t become spineless or cautious.

It isn’t about what ownership needs to see this season that should provide the impetus to invest in the team this offseason. It’s what they’ve already seen the past few seasons — a substandard product on the field — and what they’ve seen every October for the past 19 seasons — an MLB postseason without them.

They don’t need to invest because it’s something they have to do. They need to invest in making the team better because that’s what they are supposed to do.

Thanks for posting this. I’m out of free articles and too cheap to pay

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Servais is from Wisconsin right? M's don't play the Brewers this year and the next time they're in the vicinity is when they visit Detroit in second week of June. PLEASE, just leave him there after the series.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanton presented himself as a true lifelong lover of baseball and wanted the best for Seattle. After taking over as the major owner of the Mariners in 2016, here is what he had to say.......

"I care deeply and passionately about the game of baseball and about baseball fans in Seattle and the Northwest. Mariners fans have been so positive, so patient with the team, and we want to reward them with playoff and World Series baseball here at Safeco Field," Stanton said. "I want express my deepest appreciation to Howard Lincoln for his 17 years of leadership and a smooth transition in the last four months.

"The future of Mariners baseball is bright. The right management team is in place and focused on winning. It is an honor to lead this franchise, and I am ready to get started and excited for the challenges ahead."

Is this a crock of shit or what?? The dude talks like a politician. When is he gonna walk his talk?? The right magagement team? 5 years later things still suck just as bad, if not worse. He hired the Angels reject who brought his incompetent side kick and yes man Servais to do a rebuild? Crap begets crap is all I see.
How fucking sad and pathetic for us to actually believed that once the Lincoln/Armstrong and co. are gone we would be in a better position. It's actually gotten worse.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... this got me thinking a little bit and it goes back to the Cleveland series where they got no-hit. I remember in that series thread where Servais said he had a feeling a no-hit was possible by like the 4th or 5th inning. It would seemed like they were instructed to suck or the manager just simply don't give a fuck about teaching his young players. For whatever the reasons may be, these guys have given zero fucks since then and is tanking. Not entirely on the players faults here if you have a manager that is actively trying to lose baseball games.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... this got me thinking a little bit and it goes back to the Cleveland series where they got no-hit. I remember in that series thread where Servais said he had a feeling a no-hit was possible by like the 4th or 5th inning. It would seemed like they were instructed to suck or the manager just simply don't give a fuck about teaching his young players. For whatever the reasons may be, these guys have given zero fucks since then and is tanking. Not entirely on the players faults here if you have a manager that is actively trying to lose baseball games.
That and your comment about life post-Lincoln/Armstrong is all the reason why I'm convinced there's more to this than current ownership is telling.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How fucking sad and pathetic for us to actually believed that once the Lincoln/Armstrong and co. are gone we would be in a better position. It's actually gotten worse.
When I saw Chuck was retiring I thought no way the president could be worst. Obviously Mather was like hold my beer. Stanton and Lincoln are basically the same. They purposely stay out of the public eye and let the GM take the heat

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that quote was from the Baltimore game when Means no hit them but your point still stands. Servais has been given basically a free ride with no expectations for 6 years, I honestly cant think of head coach/manager in any sport that has had that luxury.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been completely frustrating I know that it is a learning curve and we have to be patient with Kelenic and Gilbert but man other than Kyle Lewis there has been nothing really great to watch and be excited about with this team. I am already of the belief that Evan White is a bust, dont get me wrong he has an all star glove but nothing when it comes to the plate. It is a long season we will see how our young players keep progressing.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.5 losses away from worst in MLB. I wasn't kidding when I said our championship is when we lead the division for a day or two in the first couple weeks of the season. I'm surprised they don't make bobbleheads for it with the words April 12-14 2021 FIRST PLACE printed on them. Maybe even hang a banner with it.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been completely frustrating I know that it is a learning curve and we have to be patient with Kelenic and Gilbert but man other than Kyle Lewis there has been nothing really great to watch and be excited about with this team. I am already of the belief that Evan White is a bust, dont get me wrong he has an all star glove but nothing when it comes to the plate. It is a long season we will see how our young players keep progressing.
I don't really believe the hip injury thing (White) and I think they are just giving him a break.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill add Dunn in there as progressing. I think his floor is at the very least is an elite bullpen arm. If he develops a 3rd pitch then he's a top of the rotation starter imo.
On the flip side I am not loving what I've seen from Sheffield the last month, the slider is definitely not consistent enough and that's supposedly his bread and butter pitch.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really believe the hip injury thing (White) and I think they are just giving him a break.
ehh we will see. I think he would at the very least be getting AAA ABs by now if it wasnt a big deal. The hip flexor or not sure exactly what it is usually a month or two

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be worth a drive to Portland to see a winning team for a change.... Unfortuneately the Mariners aren't going anywhere. :L :trash:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY positive I took away from that disastrous performance by the M's this weekend was the pitching performance from Dunn... He's the only guy that showed up to play this weekend...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bringing the A's up to Portland would probably be on the best thing that could happen to this team and baseball region-wide IMO. This organization had been enjoying a monopoly type of success (even if you want to call it that) because there has been no MLB franchise nearby to challenge them. I know of baseball fans in Portland or Vancouver that would drive to Seattle to see a baseball game here. They also get a lot of success when the Blue Jays are in town.

You don't have to look very far in history to find the kind of monopolization bullshit they try to pull around SODO when the Hansen group was trying to have an arena built within the neighborhood.

No matter how much they think they don't want it, they need a competitor/rival around the area.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bringing the A's up to Portland would probably be on the best thing that could happen to this team and baseball region-wide IMO. This organization had been enjoying a monopoly type of success (even if you want to call it that) because there has been no MLB franchise nearby to challenge them. I know of baseball fans in Portland or Vancouver that would drive to Seattle to see a baseball game here. They also get a lot of success when the Blue Jays are in town.

You don't have to look very far in history to find the kind of monopolization bullshit they try to pull around SODO when the Hansen group was trying to have an arena built within the neighborhood.

No matter how much they think they don't want it, they need a competitor/rival around the area.

100% agree... This would definitely hurt them with the way their business model has been operating for years... If they don't change, they would lose fans and support because there would be another team in the NW to root for...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best thing for me that is for sure. Not only could I finally watch a winner after 45 years, but it will only be 45 minutes away instead of 2 hours...which means it will never happen because I don't have that kind of baseball luck.