• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's Homestand: August 2nd to August 11th

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic a bit, but, I've heard the term 'sweeper' this year like it has just come outta nowhere. I can't ever remember an announcer or play-by-play guy describing a pitch as a 'sweeper' before this year. And now it seems like I hear it 5 times every inning.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corbin Carrol..
Canzone..

About the same ..
And Carrol was rookie of the year..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic a bit, but, I've heard the term 'sweeper' this year like it has just come outta nowhere. I can't ever remember an announcer or play-by-play guy describing a pitch as a 'sweeper' before this year. And now it seems like I hear it 5 times every inning.
It started last year or at least that’s when I heard a lot old school pitchers complaining about the analytical people creating another new term. It has always been if it was hard it was a slider and slower it was a slurve. They justify it by saying it sweeps all the way over the plate but you throw a slider or a slurve and it doesn’t sweep all the way across the plate then it is basically a MLB hitter taking BP (well except Mariners)

It’s just the analytical guys trying to justify the amount of money they are sucking from the game. I mean I guess it got Edgar in the HOF

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andre lipsius .
Traded to dodgers..
Know at..
Okla city..
Is 6-0.and playes..
1b/3b/2b...

The type of guy Seattle.could..use..
But dodgers already.have him..

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It started last year or at least that’s when I heard a lot old school pitchers complaining about the analytical people creating another new term. It has always been if it was hard it was a slider and slower it was a slurve. They justify it by saying it sweeps all the way over the plate but you throw a slider or a slurve and it doesn’t sweep all the way across the plate then it is basically a MLB hitter taking BP (well except Mariners)

It’s just the analytical guys trying to justify the amount of money they are sucking from the game. I mean I guess it got Edgar in the HOF
Mariner hitters rely too much on analytics. It's most certainly a fault of the hitters, but management has to take some heat for that as well if they are stressing the importance of analytics and pitch-type expectation at various points in the ball-strike count/# of outs /runners on base in an at-bat. It would be interesting to see how many called strikes they take in comparison to other teams, and then break it down further as called strikes on the five most commonly used pitches in the game: two-seam fastballs, four seam fastballs, sliders, curves, changeups...or, change one pitch out for a 'sweeper'. WTF??

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners will need a right handed.1b..
As well..as..
Locklear next year..prob ..
And for dh .duty's.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See I thought they called Jeff Nelson's pitch a sweeper back in the day. Maybe it is just this old memory of mine.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I thought they called Jeff Nelson's pitch a sweeper back in the day. Maybe it is just this old memory of mine.

Jeff Nelson did throw a sweeper

A sweeper is a three-quarter to side arm delivery of a breaking ball.

It’s sweeps across the strike zone from the 3 o’clock position to the 9 o’clock position more or less

A true curveball like king Felix threw breaks from 12 o’clock to 6 o’clock straight down

And a slider which a lot of pitchers throw, pretty much breaks from about one to 2 o’clock down to seven or 8 o’clock when delivered by a right hander. This is the most common due to the majority of pitchers pretty much throw 3/4er arm slot as a typical delivery

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outfield.
Robles..
Julio..
Arosarena..
Canzone...left...
Raley..left
Tac..
Thomas....cf
Packard .left..LF
Marlowe..left..cf

Infield...
Crawford...ss.
Moore. .. ss..
2b..open..
3b..Rojas .
1b..open .
1b raley left
Tac...

1b Locklear...left..
Ss..bliss..

I would go
2b.Kobe kato here but it's to early..just yet

Dh..open .at both..sea and tac..

That's the way I see.it...
Unless haniger or..polanco.
Start hitting..
Mariners. ..
Are begging for production there..

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raley would be a good..
Candidate..next year..

From.left..handed...
Sometimes...
At dh.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone tell Scotty to move Garver and his red hot .170avg down the F'ing lineup.
I agree on that..
Haniger .belongs..at # 6.
If he is ever going to get.
Right..
Garver has gotten 2 hits..
Lately...that's it..

He should not be in unless..
Kerby is pitching...

What..you think..Mets don't..
Know..they surly do..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Moore the base stealers.
Should be 7th or 8th..
Yep..
So the top.of the line up can.
Have a chance to hit him in..

That why julio.and..moore.
Should always..
7or 8..0r 9..
Automatic.

Last edited:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on that..
Haniger .belongs..at # 6.
If he is ever going to get.
Right..
Garver has gotten 2 hits..
Lately...that's it..

He should not be in unless..
Kerby is pitching...

What..you think..Mets don't..
Know..they surly do..
Truthfully Garver should have been DFA'd

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
been around forever with nelson and lots of other pitchers