• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More ratings ... comparing NHL & NBA in Canada & the US

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from last week ... to summarize ...

USA: NBA outdraws the NHL in tv ratings by 3 to 1 (lower than I thought)

Canada: NHL outdraws the NBA in tv ratings by 10 to 1 (the highest rated first round NHL game outdrew the highest rated NBA game - 30 to 1 lmao)

Parallel first-round playoffs are providing an interesting opportunity to compare the sport business strength of the National Basketball Association and National Hockey League on both sides of the border.

In the U.S., it’s no contest, with the NBA outdrawing the NHL about 3-to-1 in average television ratings over the course of the opening rounds of the NBA playoffs and Stanley Cup playoffs.

The television comparisons are particularly meaningful in 2010 given that both leagues have had their share of long first-round series. The opening round in the NHL’s Stanley Cup tournament featured 49 games (with five six-game series and two seven-game series, and only one five-game result). Going into action Thursday night in the NBA, five series had already gone to six games, with only three teams advancing in less (Orlando in a four-game sweep and Cleveland and Boston in five games each).

The NHL’s first-round high of 549,000 households tuning in to Versus for Saturday’s game 6 between the Montreal Canadiens and the Washington Capitals is about one-fifth of the average first-round NBA U.S. television audience on ESPN and TNT. On NBC, the 1.2 million households tuning in for Sunday’s game between the Detroit Red Wings and Phoenix Coyotes was about a third to a half of the audiences for the top NBA games on TNT and ESPN

The story is completely different north of the border in Canada, where NHL hockey – especially come Stanley Cup tournament time – rules sports television and media, to the average tune of about 10:1 over the NBA (in terms of national television ratings for comparable first-round playoff games this year).

The presence of two Canadian teams in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs will likely broaden the gulf between the two leagues in the two countries. In the U.S., hockey ratings on Versus and NBC will likely be smaller without the Washington Capitals while Vancouver Canucks and Montreal Canadiens games on CBC (and RDS) should reach average per game viewerships of 3.5 million to 4.5 million.

That will mean less attention to the NBA in Canada and more attention to the NBA in the U.S., at least insofar as the second round is concerned

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, basketball is more suited for the short-attention-span, low IQ, video game generation here in the US. :(

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me tooo, considering the NBA has that Disney networks blessings. Maybe that's not so bad because Versus is not available to as many people.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me tooo, considering the NBA has that Disney networks blessings. Maybe that's not so bad because Versus is not available to as many people.

yah its a much lower ratio than i thought and its good for the NHL in the USA but the surprising thing for me was how low the NBA ratings are in the US (WHICH I LOVE TO SEE!!!)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, basketball is more suited for the short-attention-span, low IQ, video game generation here in the US. :(

You gave me an idea. I am going to invent a video game where it's Kobe vs Crosby and get both markets !!!! Or LeBron and Crosby vs Kobe and OV in a ping pong match or something.

Trust me, people will buy it. :)

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What the hell is wrong with video games?
But yeah, I agree with the first two.
It is actually good to see hockey getting closer to basketball in the ratings despite the networks that show basketball compared to hockey.
I think the olympics helped out in that department and I hope this playoffs is making some new life-long hockey fans.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read TNT gets better NBA ratings than ESPN so they must be doing something right. TNT is a hugely sucessful cable network so I am not surprised.

I know a lot of NFL fans who will watch just about any game thats on. I know very few NHL fans who feel the same way. The ones I know like their team and will watch them, but will not often watch a random matchup on Versus or NBC.

I dont know any NBA fans to know whether they are more fans of the game or teams.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am just never going to buy a sport being liked or disliked because of intelligence. Everyone likes different things and putting down those who like other sports is a waste of time and ends up saying more about the people who do so than the people they are putting down.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, the jaded side of me got in the way...take out the IQ part :)

My 2nd-grade daughter, who has been very bright, has been reading at a 5th-grade level for a while now...her development and desire to learn has slowed significantly since she has started in on her online video game craze...

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am just never going to buy a sport being liked or disliked because of intelligence. Everyone likes different things and putting down those who like other sports is a waste of time and ends up saying more about the people who do so than the people they are putting down.

There actually is a correlation - hockey fans are the most educated.

However, I think it's obvious that has more to do with money than an actual correlation between being smart and liking hockey.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There actually is a correlation - hockey fans are the most educated.

However, I think it's obvious that has more to do with money than an actual correlation between being smart and liking hockey.

Loki it's all about the money and the networks targeting their audience. It a business and they go where the money is.

The sport is secondary to them, if they can get a larger viewer audience watching a hot dog eating contest that's where they go.

It say's something about the mentality of the viewer audience and I agree with you 100 %

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone else here not watched a single NBA Playoff game?

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a full one, but I have watched parts of the Spurs series with Dallas. Spurs are my favorite team.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen some highlights on ESPN...but that's really it. I basically stopped watchin' when the Grizzlies season ended.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*Raises Hand*

I actually saw about 15 seconds of a online stream between Oklahoma City and the Lakers, but that was because I was looking for a Mariners game. Other than that, nothing.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can think the predetermined NBA playoffs is in any way more exciting than the NHL playoffs. Even if it wasn't predetermined, it still wouldn't be more exciting, IMO.

KindaChang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't watched any NBA Playoffs. Doesn't get interesting until the conference finals, really.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was actually watching the rockets-knicks game when they broke in for the oj bronce chase...does that count?

that's about the last time I watched a NBA game of any kind...playoff, reg season whatever

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched an NBA game in years, or a college basketball game. I just don't care for the sport.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop the inferiority complex
NHL's 1st-round TV audience up 24 percent in US - USATODAY.com

EW YORK (AP) — U.S. viewership of the NHL playoffs increased 24 percent from 2009, the league's highest average first-round audience in 10 years.
The NHL said Friday that NBC and Versus combined to average 742,000 viewers per telecast. That's the most since ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 had 750,000 in 2000.

Versus averaged 595,000 viewers, a 35 percent increase from 2009 and the league's best showing on cable since ESPN/ESPN2 in 2001 (608,000). Versus averaged a .7 rating, up 75 percent from 2009.

NBC averaged 430,000 viewers for its four broadcasts, an 18 percent increase over 2009. Its 1.1 average rating was the best since 2006 and up 10 percent from last year.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually watching the rockets-knicks game when they broke in for the oj bronce chase...does that count?

that's about the last time I watched a NBA game of any kind...playoff, reg season whatever

I was at a (roller) hockey game.

Ok At the time I lived a block from where Nicole is buried. I was going to a Bull Frogs roller hockey game when the news announced that OJ was running from the police. I got out of my neighborhood just as the police were blocking off the streets. While listening to the radio, they said OJ was seen about a mile from me. Got to the Pond (now Honda Center) and saw that OJ was on the same freeway I was just on, but 15-30 minutes behind me. I watched the chase on the tvs in the suites (no I didn't a suite seat but you could see the tvs)

I liked OJ as a kid. He and Nicole lived in Laguna Beach when I was in high school and was very nice to everyone. :eek:

ok why can I edit this post but not the previous one?

Last edited by a moderator: