• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Monday morning MVP voting

Who's leading the MVP race after this weekend?

• Cam Newton

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Carson Palmer

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • JJ Watt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andy Dalton

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nevermind...just saw Hammer's thread :thumb:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Russell Wilson is playing better football than any other offensive player in the league right now, but the team's record is not good enough for him to be a serious MVP candidate. Now if he pulls his team through the playoffs and into a 3rd straight SB without having Lynch and Graham down the stretch, then that's something but I think the voting is in by then?

If the Panthes hold on to 16-0, it's probably Cam even though both Brady and Palmer will have substantially better numbers.

Damn Wilson looked good yesterday. Somewhere Danielle Hunter is still turning circles trying to find where Wilson went.

But what is most impressive is when they spread people out and how good Wilson looked in the pocket throwing the ball on time.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Where the hell does this come from? PFF ranks Carolina's O-Line as top 10.

That is only because they pass out of power sets with a ton of play action. Defenses can't pin their ears back and rush the passer like you see most Sunday's against Carolina because they have to honor the run and worry about keeping containment.

You put the Carolina OL into a more traditional passing offense like we see around the league and there is no way that OL holds up pass blocking for a pocket passer who is dropping back 40 times a game.

This is another big bump for Cam in the MVP voting. This OL doesn't work very well in most places but is just good enough to work with the offense Cam is running. And the fact that they don't have a WR on the roster that should be starting anywhere in the NFL yet still has found a way to make the passing game work is nothing short of amazing.

And while Cam might or might now win the MVP voting, the one piece of hardware given out at the end of the year that IMO is already decided is coach of the year. The Carolina coaching staff has completely designed an offense around Cam's talents that has allowed this team not only to survive but to thrive despite having well below average talent pretty much across the board on the offensive side of the football. A lot of coaches would have tried to fit Cam into their system and had it fail. Carolina completely threw out the playbook and had to design an offense like we have never seen before to fully take advantage of Cam while at the same time accommodating for a lack of talent elsewhere along the offense.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is only because they pass out of power sets with a ton of play action. Defenses can't pin their ears back and rush the passer like you see most Sunday's against Carolina because they have to honor the run and worry about keeping containment.

You put the Carolina OL into a more traditional passing offense like we see around the league and there is no way that OL holds up pass blocking for a pocket passer who is dropping back 40 times a game.

This is another big bump for Cam in the MVP voting. This OL doesn't work very well in most places but is just good enough to work with the offense Cam is running. And the fact that they don't have a WR on the roster that should be starting anywhere in the NFL yet still has found a way to make the passing game work is nothing short of amazing.

And while Cam might or might now win the MVP voting, the one piece of hardware given out at the end of the year that IMO is already decided is coach of the year. The Carolina coaching staff has completely designed an offense around Cam's talents that has allowed this team not only to survive but to thrive despite having well below average talent pretty much across the board on the offensive side of the football. A lot of coaches would have tried to fit Cam into their system and had it fail. Carolina completely threw out the playbook and had to design an offense like we have never seen before to fully take advantage of Cam while at the same time accommodating for a lack of talent elsewhere along the offense.

Really? Dude... I gotta facepalm this. It's all speculative bullshit. So Carolina's O-Line is good because the scheme they run suits them? Seems like that makes the O-Line.... good? Like wtf even is your argument? "OMG if the 49ers drafted Aaron Rodgers maybe they would've won a SBOWL!" That's basically your post. Carolina... the only team that has run playaction 100% of their passing downs. Seriously? :L

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Russell Wilson is playing better football than any other offensive player in the league right now, but the team's record is not good enough for him to be a serious MVP candidate. Now if he pulls his team through the playoffs and into a 3rd straight SB without having Lynch and Graham down the stretch, then that's something but I think the voting is in by then?

If the Panthes hold on to 16-0, it's probably Cam even though both Brady and Palmer will have substantially better numbers.

When I made the poll I threw RW in there just because I knew it would make some people's heads explode. He's playing great ball lately but he doesn't have a sniff at getting any votes for MVP. I love that he's actually tied with Brady in this poll though. LOL.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will never get votes, but the NY Jets would be 4-8 or 5-7 without Brandon Marshall

He seemingly goes 10-130 every week with what seems to be a huge TD or 2

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Dude... I gotta facepalm this. It's all speculative bullshit. So Carolina's O-Line is good because the scheme they run suits them? Seems like that makes the O-Line.... good? Like wtf even is your argument? "OMG if the 49ers drafted Aaron Rodgers maybe they would've won a SBOWL!" That's basically your post. Carolina... the only team that has run playaction 100% of their passing downs. Seriously? :L

Have you looked at their OL?

With the exception of Kalil, who is a very good center, the OL is composed of cast offs young guys without a ton of elite talent.

Their LT is the same Michael Oher that failed in Baltimore's deep passing system and then was cut from the Titans because he couldn't pass block up as well as they needed their LT to pass block. Their starting right tackle right now is a guy that was cut by 4 different teams over the last 3 seasons. Their left guard was an undrafted FA a couple years back.

This is NOT a talented OL. They are a bunch of big body guys that can maul in the run game but struggle in the pass game. They fit in Carolina because they don't run a traditional passing offense.

There has been one thing that I actually agree with you on from this thread: Carolina might be the first 16-0 team that is one and done in the playoffs. This has been an amazing run but when the playoffs get here I don't think this lack of talent on offense is going to hold up.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the exception of Kalil, who is a very good center, the OL is composed of cast offs young guys without a ton of elite talent.

Their LT is the same Michael Oher that failed in Baltimore's deep passing system and then was cut from the Titans because he couldn't pass block up as well as they needed their LT to pass block. Their starting right tackle right now is a guy that was cut by 4 different teams over the last 3 seasons. Their left guard was an undrafted FA a couple years back.

This is NOT a talented OL. They are a bunch of big body guys that can maul in the run game but struggle in the pass game. They fit in Carolina because they don't run a traditional passing offense.

There has been one thing that I actually agree with you on from this thread: Carolina might be the first 16-0 team that is one and done in the playoffs. This has been an amazing run but when the playoffs get here I don't think this lack of talent on offense is going to hold up.

Funchess could be the key.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Newton is the clear cut MVP imo thru week 13. I don't think there is another QB in the league that could have this team 12-0 and scoring as many points as they have been.

He's not the most accurate QB, but he can thread a needle from 30 yds at times...as a runner, he's as good most TE's in this league. The NFC SB team is coming thru CAR this year and only two teams look capable of over taking the host...AZ and the surging Hawks.

As far as the OFC...they do a hodge podge of things...the complexity of the run game is different...the passing game is more traditional imo, but out of those same presnap sets make them tough to defend. I don't see how teams ever let Olsen get off the line clean...he should be jammed on every play.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady's definitely cooled off and thrown in a few "questionable" plays in the last few weeks. I think people appreciate what he's been doing behind a porous Oline but only if you win... :)

I'm still going for SB MVP!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I made the poll I threw RW in there just because I knew it would make some people's heads explode. He's playing great ball lately but he doesn't have a sniff at getting any votes for MVP. I love that he's actually tied with Brady in this poll though. LOL.

If Wilson continues on the pace he has for the past 3 games and the Panthers lose he might have a shot but that is unlikely.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not the most accurate QB, but he can thread a needle from 30 yds at times...

Cam at times is just strange to watch. On one drive he will miss a WR that doesn't have anyone around him on a pass that I could complete....and then the very next drive he will thread the needle on a 20 yard crossing pattern that few in the history of this league has ever had the arm strength and pinpoint accuracy to attempt, let alone complete.

He can look both bad and good in the same game and fluctuate between the two like I have never quite seen from a QB before.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As it stands, CAR is the 1...AZ 2, GB 3, WAS/PHI/NYG 4, MIN 5, SEA6...

SEA could beat GB, which would send them to CAR and I can see them winning in CAR...short of that I think CAR wins one game at least...Idt the 4 or 5 seed in this case will beat them.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam at times is just strange to watch. On one drive he will miss a WR that doesn't have anyone around him on a pass that I could complete....and then the very next drive he will thread the needle on a 20 yard crossing pattern that few in the history of this league has ever had the arm strength and pinpoint accuracy to attempt, let alone complete.

He can look both bad and good in the same game and fluctuate between the two like I have never quite seen from a QB before.

I have posted for a while now that he is very Brett Favresque when it comes to this. They have very similar "flaws" when it comes to throwing a football and very similar arm talent and knack for making plays.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Cam has relied on arm strength a lot in his career and doesn't always get his feet in position (big key to accuracy at that level, really any level)...when he does set his feet properly and let it rip, he can get the ball into some of the same tight windows that Elway, Farve and Rodgers, etc. could. Being able to throttle back and hit a 7 yd swing pass over a LB head in stride is what make the great ones.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cam has relied on arm strength a lot in his career and doesn't always get his feet in position (big key to accuracy at that level, really any level)...when he does set his feet properly and let it rip, he can get the ball into some of the same tight windows that Elway, Farve and Rodgers, etc. could. Being able to throttle back and hit a 7 yd swing pass over a LB head in stride is what make the great ones.

Favre very rarely ever set his feet properly. He almost always threw off his back foot just like Newton.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Brady's definitely cooled off and thrown in a few "questionable" plays in the last few weeks. I think people appreciate what he's been doing behind a porous Oline but only if you win... :)

I'm still going for SB MVP!
At the risk of sounding critical of Brady - It looks to me he is a bit worn out. It seems to me he was on a mission (and still is) to stick this season up Goodell's ass, and can you continue to ride that emotional adrenaline through a full season? Couple that with all the injuries the Pats have sustained, more than ever this teams success is on his shoulders. Add in all the hits he has taken over the last 6 weeks or so and I could understand it if he is mentally and physically drained.