• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mock Draft

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering blstoker , do you have Hawkins as BPA in the second? Because I find that hard to believe. Seems more like a reach for a need because you went BPA in the first. A top notch guard would of been better IMO in the second, no need to reach for a guard in the second round, should still be top notch talent available at the guard position in the second, think that's a better idea then reaching for a LT. That's the mistake the Seahawks made with Britt.

Appreciate your sharing this mock though, food for thought.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A line of thought by fans for fixing the OL is to upgrade the interior of the line. Draft someone like McGovern in the second to take over Britt spot, then draft a center in the third to take over Lewis job. This would allow them to draft a defensive player in the first and still improve the OL, all though RT ( assuming Gilman gets moved to LT) will be a major weak spot.:noidea:

I read a list of all the guys who the coaching staff had either been to see, or they'd come to Seattle for a visit. All the O-line guys happened to be interior guards and centers.

Just made me go, hmmmm....

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a list of all the guys who the coaching staff had either been to see, or they'd come to Seattle for a visit. All the O-line guys happened to be interior guards and centers.

Just made me go, hmmmm....

It's starting to appear like they feel really good about Gilliam.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkins in the second round? Only watch him play in the Alabama game, so very small sample size. My impression is that he nothing like what the Seahawks like in a OL. Not a great run blocker, looks under sized and weak for the NFL. Course it's so easy second guessing a pick, bravo for having the confidence to do a mock. Looking forward to the rest of your draft.

One other thing, 9 picks weren't enough? Boo for trading back in the third.:suds:

Yeah, I'm not confindent in the Hawkins pick, but didn't like Le'Raven Clark any better. I could have gone Nick Martin or Vadal Alexander - but I have had my mind set that we need to have a LT, and may have developed a little tunnel vision.

As for the trade - here's an update. Traded 4.11 (Minnesota), 4.26 (Ours) and 7.19 (Minnesota) to Washington for 3.85. So in essence - I move up in the 3rd round 6 picks and move up in the 4th round 3 picks for nothing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traded 4.11 (Minnesota), 4.26 (Ours) and 7.19 (Minnesota) to Washington for 3.85. So in essence - I move up in the 3rd round 6 picks and move up in the 4th round 3 picks for nothing.
Awesome!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Took Joshua Perry, OLB Ohio State

I am finding that OL has been run on a lot harder than I expected. I think it has something to so with every fan thinks their OL sucks.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took Joshua Perry, OLB Ohio State

I am finding that OL has been run on a lot harder than I expected. I think it has something to so with every fan thinks their OL sucks.

I think it also has to do with just seeing how shallow this draft is when it comes to the OL. Past the 3rd round there are not even all that many that you can look at and say "Well they at least have some athleticism that maybe with the right coaching could turn into something." For the Broncos I passed on a guy that I had 10 spots higher on my big board in the 2nd round because I knew he wouldn't make it to my next pick and I hated the list of OL players after him. There was a huge drop off after him. Just seems like every team in the league has OL as a top-5 need.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it also has to do with just seeing how shallow this draft is when it comes to the OL. Past the 3rd round there are not even all that many that you can look at and say "Well they at least have some athleticism that maybe with the right coaching could turn into something." For the Broncos I passed on a guy that I had 10 spots higher on my big board in the 2nd round because I knew he wouldn't make it to my next pick and I hated the list of OL players after him. There was a huge drop off after him. Just seems like every team in the league has OL as a top-5 need.
Shallow? Actually this draft is considered deep for OL, the problem is the over whelming need for OL thru out the league.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shallow? Actually this draft is considered deep for OL, the problem is the over whelming need for OL thru out the league.

I didn't say others think it is shallow. To me it is a shallow draft after round 3 for finding quality OL players. I'm not saying you can't but to me the demand outweighs the supply causing a lot of these guys maybe to jump up. Now maybe the real draft won't go like this of teams going on a run for the OL but when I look at mock drafts from the experts I see them doing the exact same thing knowing how many teams need OL help and when they see how quickly they are going teams seem to overdraft the position worrying the quality can quickly disappear. It is why in the mock draft a player like Sheldon Rankins who is expected to go top-15 fell to the Seahawks in the first place. I mean 20% of the first 64 picks went to the OL alone.

Again to me I just look at the players in this draft and I just don't see the quality. I see guys who in the past were easily 3rd-5th round types that have great athleticism but terrible tape now considered mid-2nd round picks. Guys like Shon Coleman, Ifedi, and even Hawkins all fit that description. I've looked at some of the guys expected to go 4th round and beyond and there are only a couple that I would even consider because most are a glorified big body that in college was just asked to get in the way. Others can obviously disagree.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. This mock has been insane with the OL/DL splits. Nearly half of all the picks have been on one or the other line.

1 - 15
2 - 14
3 - 16 (6 picks left)

So, that's 45 of the first 92 picks have been OL/DL. Every OT I had looked in depth at was gone before 26, and the others that I had looked at a little were gone before my second pick.

I like the picks I have made for the most part (maybe I should have pick Le'Raven Clark, but only time will tell) and it isn't like Rankins isn't a need - since Hill, Rubin and Siliga are the only DTs with any experience, and I think he'll provide a lot to the team. Perry is a player that shows how different places like different players, one site says he's a probable starter and second rounder with good quickness and good pass coverage where another site claims he lacks explosion will be a special teamer and will need to be replaced on passing downs if started. I wanted Deion Jones here, but was afraid his frame was too small and he'd turn into a Zaviar Gooden (who I also liked) and wouldn't amount to much more that Gooden has - who was taken pretty close to this spot in the 3rd, 3 years ago.

The real problem is that I have been so sick all winter long I haven't even really looked at anyone who isn't ranked around where Seattle is picking each round. Not because I haven't wanted to, but because there have been whole weeks where I haven't even touched the computer. if some of my picks seem weird, remember, I may really be learning these players for the first time - which isn't usual for me when it comes to the draft (I love the draft almost as much as the actual games).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it is a shallow draft after round 3 for finding quality OL players. I'm not saying you can't but to me the demand outweighs the supply causing a lot of these guys maybe to jump up.
After round 3? Sure, I can agree with that, because there seems to be a run on OL early on. Some of this is many teams need one or two and some of that is that the skilled positions are appear shallow in this year draft.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, with the second 3rd round pick, I selected Connor McGovern, OG Missouri. To recap my picks so far:

1 - Sheldon Rankins, DT Louisville
2 - Jerald Hawking, OT LSU
3 - Joshua Perry, OLB Ohio State
3 - Connor McGovern, OG Missouri

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, one of the guys I thought as a luxury pick for the 4th is now gone. Had hoped to get a shot at Jayron Kearse - but Atlanta took him early in the 4th.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there goes Prosise. I really liked him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right. 4th round.

Jack Allen, C Michigan State.

I had thought I would steer away from the OL, but this guy just screams Cable. He's tough, mean, and plays through (sometimes past) the whistle. He isn't the most athletic C in the draft, but it's the 4th round and he only has to compete with Patrick Lewis.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, with the second 3rd round pick, I selected Connor McGovern, OG Missouri. To recap my picks so far:

1 - Sheldon Rankins, DT Louisville
2 - Jerald Hawking, OT LSU
3 - Joshua Perry, OLB Ohio State
3 - Connor McGovern, OG Missouri

I think the Hawks will move down out into the 2nd with their #26 pick in the 1st round to grab Hawking... Dude has a lot of upside at the LT position and Cable's the perfect teacher for Hawking...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Hawks will move down out into the 2nd with their #26 pick in the 1st round to grab Hawking... Dude has a lot of upside at the LT position and Cable's the perfect teacher for Hawking...

Hawkins sounds like a interesting prospect. I've been hearing that the Seahawks use athletic testing similar Sparq for drafting OL and other positions. Supposedly very drafted OL rank high in these measurable tests.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of my Placement (Canada). I don't know much or see much college ball but if you got Bennett (who could play DT if needed), Hill (who was decent), Rubin who was good(not Great but good). Why take a DT 1st if you want Starters in the 1st????

I would have taken Ifladi with #1 and waited till the 3rd to grab a Rotational DT if I where doing it but I pissed off alot of "those guys" the first and last time i had 1 because of work and School taking up much in my life

*No guarantee that Hill can stay on the field due to injury.
*Bennett is not a full time DT. That would be a misuse of his talent. He needs to stay at DE and move inside basically in passing situations.

Because of this, we are basically short a start at DT at this point. The Seahawks have ran both 2 run stopper DT sets (like last year for example) and also with guys more adapt at rushing the passer in the past but when they did that they lined up Bryant at DE so he was kind of an offset runstopping DT also.

We have all seen that depth is key, particularly in the trenches. The DL and the OL seem to require more rotational players to keep them some other areas (not that it isn't important in other areas also).

Because of that I am not adverse to drafting DT in the first if the right guy is there and there are no OL guys rated well enough to pick up that early. But we do need probably 2 OL players in the first 4 picks (1st through 3rd rounds) in my opinion. However the team management tends to surprise us in the draft more than they don't.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right. 4th round.

Jack Allen, C Michigan State.

I had thought I would steer away from the OL, but this guy just screams Cable. He's tough, mean, and plays through (sometimes past) the whistle. He isn't the most athletic C in the draft, but it's the 4th round and he only has to compete with Patrick Lewis.
He actually plays center in college.:nod: Like you said not super athletic, but knows his assignments, which is a plus. Decent to good pass blocker ( from the two games I watched him), not a over whelming run blocker but he at least makes the blocks. Not bad.:thumb:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually plays center in college.:nod: Like you said not super athletic, but knows his assignments, which is a plus. Decent to good pass blocker ( from the two games I watched him), not a over whelming run blocker but he at least makes the blocks. Not bad.:thumb:

I liked the reports of his toughness and leadership (several Ohio State fans were also talking very highly of him) and though the line solidified with Lewis - I still think that Lewis is a below average center. Allen may not ever beat him out - but competition is key for this team - and Nowak is not competition.