• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: MNF: Philly @ Seattle 815/5:15. ABC/TSN/ESPN

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
family-guy-bring-it-on.gif

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked our chances in this game even before the news of Jalen Hurts being questionable (and Slay out). Eagles have looked like paper tigers to me for a while, and they got blasted by both SF & Dallas the last 2 games. As much as we want to criticize the Hawks, we played better against those teams the last 2 games than Philly did. I see a Hawks win here.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll just lost 4 straight for the first time as HC in Seattle... if the players don't step up and win this game for him, I'd have to imagine MASSIVE turnover.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll just lost 4 straight for the first time as HC in Seattle... if the players don't step up and win this game for him, I'd have to imagine MASSIVE turnover.
This is mostly about scheduling. The 3 toughest games on our schedule were in a row. Spread those games out, and we still lose them. The Rams loss was by far the worst, and to me that's the biggest black mark on Pete Carroll's tenure -- the inability to figure out how to beat Sean McVay even at a 50/50 type pace. We figured it was going to be a year we got swept by SF and probably lose in Dallas, but getting swept by the Rams is ridiculous and much more of a measure of where this team is than losing 3 games to the 2 best teams in the NFC. SF is clearly the best team in the NFL.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is mostly about scheduling. The 3 toughest games on our schedule were in a row. Spread those games out, and we still lose them. The Rams loss was by far the worst, and to me that's the biggest black mark on Pete Carroll's tenure -- the inability to figure out how to beat Sean McVay even at a 50/50 type pace. We figured it was going to be a year we got swept by SF and probably lose in Dallas, but getting swept by the Rams is ridiculous and much more of a measure of where this team is than losing 3 games to the 2 best teams in the NFC. SF is clearly the best team in the NFL.

Fair, but this is a team with talent.... this is not some makeshift roster like he inherited after the Mora year. We have the 2nd highest payroll on defense in the league, and the defense has been absolute shit.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, but this is a team with talent.... this is not some makeshift roster like he inherited after the Mora year. We have the 2nd highest payroll on defense in the league, and the defense has been absolute shit.
I would definitely agree we are not getting what we ought to from this level of talent. It's either that or we have a skewed/inflated perception of how much talent we truly have. Some in here think we should or maybe even will lose 3 or even all of the remaining games for a better draft pick, but what will that say about where we are if we drop 7 of the final 8 games? That's not an indicator of a talented team that just needs a QB upgrade.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely agree we are not getting what we ought to from this level of talent. It's either that or we have a skewed/inflated perception of how much talent we truly have. Some in here think we should or maybe even will lose 3 or even all of the remaining games for a better draft pick, but what will that say about where we are if we drop 7 of the final 8 games? That's not an indicator of a talented team that just needs a QB upgrade.

I've never believed in losing games for a draft pick. Look at the Panthers? If you are deliberately losing games you've lost the locker room... and you're basically set for a losing team for years until you overhaul it with ownership and coaching. If Seattle loses tonight's game, I think Pete will have COMPLETELY lost the locker room which is a bad place to be.

I understand Geno is not amazing and he's going to be 34.... but a new QB is not going to solve the problem... so this trade up talk for Maye/Williams is nuts to me.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, but this is a team with talent.... this is not some makeshift roster like he inherited after the Mora year. We have the 2nd highest payroll on defense in the league, and the defense has been absolute shit
Seahawks have the second highest payroll on defense? Is that a fact? What's your source? I know the contracts for the safeties is way up there but looking at the rest of the defense players salaries I don't see how the Seahawks have the second highest spending on defense. They did sign Dre'Mont Jones and Wagner as FAs but not to crazy contracts.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks have the second highest payroll on defense? Is that a fact? What's your source? I know the contracts for the safeties is way up there but looking at the rest of the defense players salaries I don't see how the Seahawks have the second highest spending on defense. They did sign Dre'Mont Jones and Wagner as FAs but not to crazy contracts.

I saw it on a video but can't remember so my source is crap and I'm spewing BS (no sarcasm). That said, I did find this on spotrac:

Maybe not 2nd, but still top 5 (you have to sort - couldn't post a sorted link).... our payroll is pretty high for this year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never believed in losing games for a draft pick. Look at the Panthers? If you are deliberately losing games you've lost the locker room... and you're basically set for a losing team for years until you overhaul it with ownership and coaching.
I don't believe even a little bit that teams lose games on purpose. They are all playing for their jobs. Way too much on the line to lay down for a better draft pick next year. Coaches don't want to get fired, and they keep their jobs by winning. Players want to get paid, which might not happen if they don't perform well. Players also have no interest in helping the team get in a better spot to potentially draft their replacement. I am not telling you things you don't already know, but I can't believe some fans actually think NFL teams would even consider or actually do tank for draft position. The closest thing would be playing younger guys at the end of a bad season or resting starters once playoff seeding is locked in.
If Seattle loses tonight's game, I think Pete will have COMPLETELY lost the locker room which is a bad place to be.

I would say it depends what it (a loss) looks like. If it's a wire to wire drubbing, then there could be some serious problems. If we lose on a last second FG in a hard-fought game, then maybe it's a different conclusion. I still feel we have at least a 50/50 type shot tonight though. Performance against common opponents is cause for optimism. Both of Philly's wins vs WAS were close, and they lost the last 2 to SF & Dallas by a combined 43 points. Many narrow wins up and down their schedule even against weaker teams, and they also lost to the Jets. They do have some good wins against Miami and KC, but both of those teams have played more than 1 or 2 really bad games.

I understand Geno is not amazing and he's going to be 34.... but a new QB is not going to solve the problem... so this trade up talk for Maye/Williams is nuts to me.

It's for sure nuts. I cannot imagine the king's ransom it would cost to move from the middle of the round to #2. Between Maye & Williams, history says that at least 1 of them will not work out. We just cannot afford to take that much of a gamble. If we already owned the pick needed to select one of them then I could live with the dice roll if our FO thought enough of the player to do that, but I'll cry in my beer if we pay basically 3:1 or 5:2 in draft capital to take that chance.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An announcer said it during the game or the pregame analysist said something about a few weeks ago... They had said that the Seahawks, "Had the 2nd most invested on defense in the NFL"... Whether it was salary and draft picks, etc not sure but I remember hearing that as well...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be a high scoring game. Eagles defense especially that secondary sucks and can be picked apart. Also our secondary gives up big plays so it's a wash. Comes down to who commits less penalties and turnovers.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An announcer said it during the game or the pregame analysist said something about a few weeks ago... They had said that the Seahawks, "Had the 2nd most invested on defense in the NFL"... Whether it was salary and draft picks, etc not sure but I remember hearing that as well...

Thanks Anointed. I can't remember where I heard it so it's 100% fair to ask for the source, but I know I heard it somewhere (on a broadcast or YouTube channel). Either way with the link I provided, we have a lot of money (cash or cap, can filter on either) going to the defense.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Anointed. I can't remember where I heard it so it's 100% fair to ask for the source, but I know I heard it somewhere (on a broadcast or YouTube channel). Either way with the link I provided, we have a lot of money (cash or cap, can filter on either) going to the defense.
Chicago Pd Nbc GIF by One Chicago

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that might not mean a whole lot. With every team having the same salary cap and similar drafting opportunity, there may not be some massive difference between 2nd most and middle of the pack. It could be something that sounds more important than it really is.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know who is starting at QB for both teams?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised to see D. Eskridge on the injury report tonight...

not GIF

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised to see D. Eskridge on the injury report tonight...

not GIF
An incredible waste of a 2nd round pick. Had so much hope that he would be the guy to do those jet sweeps and crossers, too. On top of being a candybone, it also appears like he may be a bad person. He'll be somewhere else next year almost assuredly.