• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to Ohtani, I have two weird feelings:

1. If the Mariners offered him $400m, he'd come here.
2. Mariners ownership will either low ball him, or not even offer him anything.
400 mil would be a low ball offer. Ohtani bids probably start at 550mil.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take. I think the biggest risk with a contract like that is if he has Tommy John surgery, enjoy spending $100m a year for a guy to recover from that.

Ohtani's situation is so unique that I honestly have absolutely no idea what it would take to get him. There's never been anyone like him.

I don't know if this is possible, but if the Mariners want to get creative, perhaps offer him an equity stake in ownership that he receives after retirement. If they don't want to pony up the money to pay what he's worth, that could be an option. Don't know if it has ever been done or if it's even an option though.
I know it’s a risk but IMO it isn’t any different than paying for an ace. I know Ray isn’t getting anywhere near what Ohtani would make but at least with Ohtani you’d get some value while he would be recovering. But the whole risk aspect is what I’m curious on what their offer will be.

Guys on mlb network were talking about equity in the team, plus cuts of advertising and other revenue streams. But I can’t remember if it was on here or somewhere where I brought that up and someone said it’s against the CBA. I’m really not sure cause I’m sure it is in writing but I don’t think the MLBPA ever really thought that a player is so valuable a team were offer him ownership, I would assume it was more to keep it from rich teams skirting the intent not necessarily one player could make a middle market teams entire budget. But it will be interesting cause even the PA knows there is eventually a number for 1 player that will hurt the rest of their members.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to sound like my dad, but that sounds nuts, but when you give it thought it makes a lot of sense. You're getting a Cy Young pitcher, and an MVP caliber hitter.
With the young core of players both in the lineup and pitching rotation, Ohtani could be that difference maker to getting back to the top of the division and actually be WS contenders. I think he gets 600mil on 10yr deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to sound like my dad, but that sounds nuts, but when you give it thought it makes a lot of sense. You're getting a Cy Young pitcher, and an MVP caliber hitter.
And you lose both players with one blister.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the young core of players both in the lineup and pitching rotation, Ohtani could be that difference maker to getting back to the top of the division and actually be WS contenders. I think he gets 600mil on 10yr deal.
Just wondering, what would you do with Ray, Marco, and one of Miller/Woo/Hancock? I know that is a good problem to have, but that is a lot of pitchers to deal out. The problem with next year even without Ohtani is that we won't have the luxury of having 3 studs in the minors ready to take over if someone gets hurt. I can't see them sending Woo or Miller to minors next year and if Hancock continues his run, him either. This year was the perfect mix of starters in the majors and major league ready.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering, what would you do with Ray, Marco, and one of Miller/Woo/Hancock? I know that is a good problem to have, but that is a lot of pitchers to deal out. The problem with next year even without Ohtani is that we won't have the luxury of having 3 studs in the minors ready to take over if someone gets hurt. I can't see them sending Woo or Miller to minors next year and if Hancock continues his run, him either. This year was the perfect mix of starters in the majors and major league ready.
Excellent question. I have an easy answer for 2 players.

Marco moves to the pen for long relief.
Robby Ray with the extent of his injury may not be ready to take the field in 2024 so have to possibly revisit this in 2025 offseason.

So rotation could look like

Castillo
Ohtani
Gilgert
Kirby
Miller/Hancock battle for the 5th spot. Woo may need more time in the minors to develop another pitch or two.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent question. I have an easy answer for 2 players.

Marco moves to the pen for long relief.
Robby Ray with the extent of his injury may not be ready to take the field in 2024 so have to possibly revisit this in 2025 offseason.

So rotation could look like

Castillo
Ohtani
Gilgert
Kirby
Miller/Hancock battle for the 5th spot. Woo may need more time in the minors to develop another pitch or two.
I was basing my question as if Ray is ready. Not sure what the odds are he will be. Demoting Woo without him tanking this year would be a risky move. Once established, it is hard to demote without cause. It ruins morale in my opinion.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was basing my question as if Ray is ready. Not sure what the odds are he will be. Demoting Woo without him tanking this year would be a risky move. Once established, it is hard to demote without cause. It ruins morale in my opinion.
I see your point and I do understand it's risky but running him out there every 5 days where his command is iffy at times and getting knocked around is more of a morale killer. Don't get me wrong the kid has stuff, just needs fine tuning and another out pitch or two before he blows his arm out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see the issue with stashing them in the bullpen. In modern day baseball you have two high leverage guys then no specific roles. Which is still really weird cause Jerry used Sewald like a closer, he had all the numbers of a closer but he wasn’t the high leverage guy? They got the two guys in Brash and Munoz, Berroa is the next guy up. But I say it every single year and every year am proven wrong that the bullpen can’t keep turning below average pitchers into a great bullpen. So I guess wait until spring training then do the exact opposite of what I say when it comes to the staff.

But of all the analytical stuff, I don’t understand why they don’t do what the good teams do in the playoffs, essentially pull a starter once he starts struggling. Not the ace like Castillo, Kirby or Gilbert but when you have 5 dudes for 2 spots I don’t see why you can’t just mash it up and play matchups. I don’t like the idea of a 6 man rotation because for sure Castillo and Gilbert don’t need it, they make think Kirby hasn’t had enough innings so maybe him. Like the 2013 Seahawks had a 4 stud DE rotation. Woo, Miller, Ray, Hancock and Marco

We all know Woo, Miller or Hancock are going to get dealt in the off-season for an OF, just hope it isn’t one like the Pineda/Montero trade. Would be really cool if they could get Ray involved so then they’d have money for a FA like Bellinger

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know Woo, Miller or Hancock are going to get dealt in the off-season for an OF, just hope it isn’t one like the Pineda/Montero trade. Would be really cool if they could get Ray involved so then they’d have money for a FA like Bellinger
That would be the worst thing. You need about 8 or 8 MLB quality Sp's to make it through a year. You need 5 to start the season and 3 to 4 in the minors in case of emergency. We really don't have others ready past this group up. It will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think the answer is as simple as some think.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the worst thing. You need about 8 or 8 MLB quality Sp's to make it through a year. You need 5 to start the season and 3 to 4 in the minors in case of emergency. We really don't have others ready past this group up. It will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think the answer is as simple as some think.
With the Mariners are at I don’t think it is an necessary. They have plucked basically nobodies then turned them into whatever the opposite of the pumpkin was in that Disney tale. But Ray won’t be starting next year and they will also be essentially forced into a 6 man rotation when he does come back. Maybe it isn’t so simple but they already have openly stated they don’t have the funds to keep all of Kirby, Gilbert and Raleigh. Miller, Woo and Hancock will be I think 2 years behind of them not being able to “afford” to keep three guys who’s salaries should explode with later arbitrations or contract extensions.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Mariners are at I don’t think it is an necessary. They have plucked basically nobodies then turned them into whatever the opposite of the pumpkin was in that Disney tale. But Ray won’t be starting next year and they will also be essentially forced into a 6 man rotation when he does come back. Maybe it isn’t so simple but they already have openly stated they don’t have the funds to keep all of Kirby, Gilbert and Raleigh. Miller, Woo and Hancock will be I think 2 years behind of them not being able to “afford” to keep three guys who’s salaries should explode with later arbitrations or contract extensions.
Then they are more foolish than I think they are...which is probably the case.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insuffencien data..
8 starters .is normal..
The guy out..is gonzles..
If you think..ray..8s not better..???.
Aarrrrrhh..
For the most..part.that is prob..true..
He may not pitch...
But he may come back .at the end...
It is most likely..
He is out till .the next .spring .the next..year .by default..
An opt out...may be..but prob not

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money not an issue..mariners.at..
100,800,000 or.100mil...for2024..why..
Julio.is payed..
Ray..is payed.
Castillo..is payed.
Meaning..
They can afford Snell....easly..
And.
Gurriel..jr...

Adding..Snell..will make ray..a 4th..pitcher..
He was..a #2..
Ray as a 4...are you kidding.me.im good with it..

Gonzales 5.66..era means.its bull pen time.
For him ...in San Diego..or Colorado.

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they are more foolish than I think they are...which is probably the case.
I belive..this.untrue..at this time..

My projection..is..50mil..+100 mil..
Easily..adding all arbitrations..whitch are 8
The rest are pre arb..
At this time..
Pre arbs..same same..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then they could..like.buy out kerbys arbetration.or gilberts...
This is how..the big ball..clubs do it.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys I can .part with.
Gonzales..has had a nice run.time to move on.
Hummel
Trammel..
McCoughan.

So that is not bad .when it's time.its..time
I so bad wanted trammel to make it..

But I lost...the bet...time to move on..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woo.is not demoted..

believe me..
It's more..like..saving him for later..
While bringing...Hancock..
Lordy..lordy...

I mean...ya gotta have pitchers...man.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young pitchers...I would rather..25.games..
30 is normal .
For starters..
It's not out of the question .for them..
To just..save woo...for later.
Young pitcher out of the minors .
Aaahh.

It's not..demotion..