• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Offseason Moves

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Twins ended up being pretty big winners here. Worst case is they are stuck with a $33m aav albatross for up to 6 years (if he blows out his leg this ST and immediately retires due to injury). But that’s it. If he continues to play, then some options (??) activate for years 7-10. But the Twins are not on the hook for those additional years unless he shows to be somewhat durable in the first 6 seasons of the contract.

The Giants and Mutts walked away because they would have been on the hook for 13 (Giants) or 12 (Mutts) years, regardless.
Yeah I agree. The 6 years makes it a decent risk. I don't know how those medical exams work but one thing that I guess could go wrong is if the thing that the Giants and Mets found is something that could lead him to be suspended down the road. (but I'm not sure if that's possible. That might be something they would have to disclose).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree. The 6 years makes it a decent risk. I don't know how those medical exams work but one thing that I guess could go wrong is if the thing that the Giants and Mets found is something that could lead him to be suspended down the road. (but I'm not sure if that's possible. That might be something they would have to disclose).
I doubt if that would be a huge deterrent for a potential signing team. If the player is suspended, he doesn’t get paid for his down time. I always thought this was a huge hole in the system. Teams get huge benefits if their overplayed player gets “caught”. I always suspected the Spanks FO was in some way involved in getting ARod suspended.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

should provide insurance at 1B/DH/OF

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

should provide insurance at 1B/DH/OF
OK player, but a real cancer in the clubhouse.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins and Marlins are in agreement on a trade sending infielder Luis Arraez to Miami and right-hander Pablo Lopez to Minnesota, reports ESPN’s Jeff Passan. Ken Rosenthal and Dan Hayes of The Athletic, who first said the deal was progressing, report that it is not a one-for-one swap and will involve additional players. Jon Heyman of the New York Post tweets that the Twins will acquire two prospects from Miami in addition to Lopez.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins didn't reach an agreement on salary before the arbitration deadline, so they are either going to work to sign him long-term or trade him. They have Kirilloff that can play 1st and plenty of outfielders (which is an area of need for the Marlins).

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins and Marlins are in agreement on a trade sending infielder Luis Arraez to Miami and right-hander Pablo Lopez to Minnesota, reports ESPN’s Jeff Passan. Ken Rosenthal and Dan Hayes of The Athletic, who first said the deal was progressing, report that it is not a one-for-one swap and will involve additional players. Jon Heyman of the New York Post tweets that the Twins will acquire two prospects from Miami in addition to Lopez.

The deal is done with the Twins getting Lopez, the Marlins' #5 prospect, infielder Jose Salas and a very raw 17 year old prospect outfielder Byron Chourio.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Red Sox acquired SS Adalberto Mondesi and a player to be named later from the Royals for LHP Josh Taylor.​

Among the most polarizing hitters in the fantasy landscape, Mondesi possesses stratospheric stolen base upside, but omnipresent injuries have kept him from reaching his astronomical power/speed combo potential. The 27-year-old speedster has been limited to just 50 games combined over the last two seasons and is coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. He'll likely take over as the Red Sox' primary shortstop and should benefit from Fenway Park's hitter-friendly environment. It's a phenomenal landing spot, which makes Mondesi a worthwhile late-round lottery ticket for fantasy managers, but his lengthy injury can't be overlooked.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Red Sox acquired SS Adalberto Mondesi and a player to be named later from the Royals for LHP Josh Taylor.​

Among the most polarizing hitters in the fantasy landscape, Mondesi possesses stratospheric stolen base upside, but omnipresent injuries have kept him from reaching his astronomical power/speed combo potential. The 27-year-old speedster has been limited to just 50 games combined over the last two seasons and is coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. He'll likely take over as the Red Sox' primary shortstop and should benefit from Fenway Park's hitter-friendly environment. It's a phenomenal landing spot, which makes Mondesi a worthwhile late-round lottery ticket for fantasy managers, but his lengthy injury can't be overlooked.

I like this.

Barnes was DFA'd to make room for Duvall on the 40-man.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Orioles are set to acquire left-hander Cole Irvin from the Athletics.​

Oakland will receive infield prospect Darell Hernaiz in return while Baltimore is also expected to get right-hander Kyle Virbitsky in the deal. Irvin, who turns 29 next week, posted a solid 3.98 ERA and 128/36 K/BB ratio in 181 innings across 30 starts last season. He doesn't miss many bats, but he has excellent control and has proven durable over the past two seasons. While there's not much fantasy impact here, it's a low-key nice move for the Orioles, as Irvin isn't even arbitration-eligible yet.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Orioles are set to acquire left-hander Cole Irvin from the Athletics.​

Oakland will receive infield prospect Darell Hernaiz in return while Baltimore is also expected to get right-hander Kyle Virbitsky in the deal. Irvin, who turns 29 next week, posted a solid 3.98 ERA and 128/36 K/BB ratio in 181 innings across 30 starts last season. He doesn't miss many bats, but he has excellent control and has proven durable over the past two seasons. While there's not much fantasy impact here, it's a low-key nice move for the Orioles, as Irvin isn't even arbitration-eligible yet.

one big worry I have with Irvin is he's had a lot of home run issues away from Oakland. He has a 0.73 HR/9 at home, but 1.81 HR/9 on the road as an Athletic, and now he'll be pitching in the AL East. At least he's going to Baltimore after they moved the fences back.

Didn't give up a ton though. Hernaiz is intriguing, but the Orioles have plenty of middle infield depth. Westburg should be up this year, Norby could see some time in the majors this year, and Jackson Holliday could rise through the minors pretty quickly.

Last edited:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great deal.

By my math it’s something like

6.5 this year

9 next year (projected arb)

And then that leaves 2/35 for his age 33 and 34 seasons

I like it for the Mets and it seems reasonable for McNeil as well

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Marlins are acquiring right-hander Matt Barnes from the Red Sox.​

Craig Mish of SportsGrid adds that Boston will receive lefty Richard Bleier in the trade. Barnes was designated for assignment last week by the Red Sox and will head to Miami to join their high-leverage mix. The hard-throwing 32-year-old righty hasn't been the same since signing a two-year, $18.75 million extension with Boston during the 2021 campaign, but he was solid from a run-prevention standpoint during the late stages of last season. The former closer will get a much-needed change of scenery with the Marlins.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Marlins are acquiring right-hander Matt Barnes from the Red Sox.​

Craig Mish of SportsGrid adds that Boston will receive lefty Richard Bleier in the trade. Barnes was designated for assignment last week by the Red Sox and will head to Miami to join their high-leverage mix. The hard-throwing 32-year-old righty hasn't been the same since signing a two-year, $18.75 million extension with Boston during the 2021 campaign, but he was solid from a run-prevention standpoint during the late stages of last season. The former closer will get a much-needed change of scenery with the Marlins.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Tumpane
Never heard of him. Which I guess is good for an umpire. Normally on a 3 balk inning I would be guessing maybe a Cowboy Joe West or someone.