• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minshew Mania coming to Philadelphia

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your 3rd string QB is better than any backup QB that the Cowboys have.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly does mean? Minshew is only 25 years old, Hurts is 23. So both could have a long career somewhere as starter / back up. I feel like Minshew is like a Ryan Tannehill type QB. I think he is more proven that Hurts as this point and that is not a knock against Hurts by any means.

1. I think many believe this could be a sign of no confidence in Hurts.
2. Joe Flacco is not a good back up?
3. Just extra QB coverage?
4. Nick Mullens was released so just someone to replace him?

What do you think? I find it interesting the Jaguars parted with him right as the season started considering the offensive line is not that great and should Lawrence get hurt, who will they turn to? I know they are nowhere near the post season contention. Did they trade Minshew away to lesson the pressure on Lawrence?

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly does mean? Minshew is only 25 years old, Hurts is 23. So both could have a long career somewhere as starter / back up. I feel like Minshew is like a Ryan Tannehill type QB. I think he is more proven that Hurts as this point and that is not a knock against Hurts by any means.

1. I think many believe this could be a sign of no confidence in Hurts.
2. Joe Flacco is not a good back up?
3. Just extra QB coverage?
4. Nick Mullens was released so just someone to replace him?

What do you think? I find it interesting the Jaguars parted with him right as the season started considering the offensive line is not that great and should Lawrence get hurt, who will they turn to? I know they are nowhere near the post season contention. Did they trade Minshew away to lesson the pressure on Lawrence?

1. It's not a no sign of confidence in Hurts. If they didn't have confidence in him they wouldn't have hardly played him at all in preseason to preserve his health.

2. If Flacco didn't have the preseason game in the 1st half that he had last night then I would say that is a possibility (13/16, 188 yards, 2 TD, no INT, 155.2 QB rating).

3. Could be this.

4. Yeah Mullens is horrible but if they were going to keep a 3rd string QB at all then I would think it would be a younger more developmental guy not someone who once their contract is up after next season will likely try to go sign somewhere to compete for a starting job.

I think it is either they have hopes of getting him to stick around to be the long term backup QB once Flacco's 1 year deal is up or that maybe part of the reason they have played Hurts so little is because they are planning on including him in a trade for Watson. And since Watson will likely miss most if not all the season they needed to make a move for another backup QB or QB who could play while Watson serves that suspension. I would hate this scenario though. I want to see what Hurts has this year instead of giving up resources for Watson.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does that mean the Flacco era in Philly is over?

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does that mean the Flacco era in Philly is over?

Not unless someone is trying to trade for him. They gave him too much money and last night he played well.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I honestly thought the Jaguars would have traded him shortly after drafting Lawrence.
I’d be willing to bet that Philly was the first person they called… The equivalent of a lowball offer & the Jags took it.

Looks bad for the Jags to give him away for pennies

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised since Flacco has looked good in the pre-season.

About to go on a 4 hour yacht cruise around the VIrgin Islands.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he decides to wear #10 once Mullens is cut. No one would be more deserving to wear Koy's number.

gardnerminshew-minshew.gif

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not unless someone is trying to trade for him. They gave him too much money and last night he played well.
Minshew is a far better QB than him though. What’s the dead hit on Flacco?

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minshew is a far better QB than him though. What’s the dead hit on Flacco?

Agreed that he is better. The way that Howie did Flacco's contract is he is only a $1.56M cap hit this season but if he is cut then he is a $3.5M dead cap hit. It's a 1 year deal but they rolled a lot of the cap hit over the next 5 years. Flacco won't be going anywhere. Flacco is only signed for the one year though whereas Minshew is signed for both this year and next year so Minshew would be the unquestioned primary backup for next season or maybe potential starter to start the year if things with Hurts don't go well, Eagles don't trade for Watson but target a 1st round QB in the draft next season.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. It's not a no sign of confidence in Hurts. If they didn't have confidence in him they wouldn't have hardly played him at all in preseason to preserve his health.

2. If Flacco didn't have the preseason game in the 1st half that he had last night then I would say that is a possibility (13/16, 188 yards, 2 TD, no INT, 155.2 QB rating).

3. Could be this.

4. Yeah Mullens is horrible but if they were going to keep a 3rd string QB at all then I would think it would be a younger more developmental guy not someone who once their contract is up after next season will likely try to go sign somewhere to compete for a starting job.

I think it is either they have hopes of getting him to stick around to be the long term backup QB once Flacco's 1 year deal is up or that maybe part of the reason they have played Hurts so little is because they are planning on including him in a trade for Watson. And since Watson will likely miss most if not all the season they needed to make a move for another backup QB or QB who could play while Watson serves that suspension. I would hate this scenario though. I want to see what Hurts has this year instead of giving up resources for Watson.

Good points. It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out. I didn't think about the Watson situation, I'm glad you brought it up. I can see the Eagles, Broncos, Washington making a deal for Watson and having Hurts / Minshew on the roster certainly can give the Eagles the look. I just don't know if I like a Watson trade to any team as it would require a number of 1st round draft picks. Honestly not sure. With that said, I think the Eagles are in good position right now if Hurts struggles or gets injured, no doubt in my mind that Minshew can step in and be a serviceable back up / starter.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb on the Jags part to trade Minshew and not keep him as a solid backup. Especially for only a 6th round pick
I wouldn't be shocked if Minshew himself was pretty disgruntled with the Jaguars organization. He needed to go elsewhere imo. I'm just shocked a team didn't go after him. The Jags traded him for almost nothing.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple things:

Minshew can start for Philly

That’s all they got for him and not sure what the rush is to send him out for a 6th? Doesn’t make much sense. It’s not like he was forcing his way, well at least from rumors. Maybe that is the reason bc this doesn’t make sense

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d be willing to bet that Philly was the first person they called… The equivalent of a lowball offer & the Jags took it.

Looks bad for the Jags to give him away for pennies

I wonder what the Jags will do if Lawrence struggles or gets injured behind that offensive line. Who will they turn to? Could be a one and done for Urban. I thought getting rid of Minshew would require a 2nd round draft pick. Obviously not!

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked if Minshew himself was pretty disgruntled with the Jaguars organization. He needed to go elsewhere imo. I'm just shocked a team didn't go after him. The Jags traded him for almost nothing.

Hi Clayton, I'm ShaneC from the old St. Louis Rams days! Good to see you.

Yes, he needed to go elsewhere. I would have though teams would have inquired about Minshew back in the early free agency days. Perhaps some teams have and the Jaguars declined.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the Jags will do if Lawrence struggles or gets injured behind that offensive line. Who will they turn to? Could be a one and done for Urban. I thought getting rid of Minshew would require a 2nd round draft pick. Obviously not!
Beathard would be my guess

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that he is better. The way that Howie did Flacco's contract is he is only a $1.56M cap hit this season but if he is cut then he is a $3.5M dead cap hit. It's a 1 year deal but they rolled a lot of the cap hit over the next 5 years. Flacco won't be going anywhere. Flacco is only signed for the one year though whereas Minshew is signed for both this year and next year so Minshew would be the unquestioned primary backup for next season or maybe potential starter to start the year if things with Hurts don't go well, Eagles don't trade for Watson but target a 1st round QB in the draft next season.

Agreed he isn’t going anywhere. They wouldn’t be saving much of anything so it doesn’t make any sense.