• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota rules the world of football

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mentioned Ohio State. Can you be any lamer? The answer is hell yeah you can.

Why even bring them up? I have never over-pimped Ohio State in any way.

You on the other hand over-pimp all things Gophers 24/7.
I only reference the team of the idiot who makes dumb comments to show them how dumb their comment was.

You were inferring that UMn was overrated solely because they lost ONE GAME. I used OSU and last year's EOS AP poll to show you it's rare for any team to go undefeated.

ZERO teams went undefeated last year, moron. Were they all overrated?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What time frame? Last year? ABSOLUTELY!!! 9-4 > 4-8.

This year? Who knows, USC hasn't played a single quality opponent yet.

They barely beat an Oregon St who barely beat Fresno St who couldn't beat lowly UConn.

Stop with that biased "time frame" nonsense. I mean simply comparing the two programs all time.

Which team has more national titles, more AA's, more Heisman winners, more conference crowns, more bowl wins?

The funny thing is I know exactly what utter bullshit you'll try to pull off next. And it won't work. So don't bother saying anything like.

You'll try to only focus on the years from 1934 to 1941. The Gophers won 5 titles in that timeframe. And ignore that after 1941 the only other really good season they've had was 1960. And don't forget to mention Minnesota's record in the early 1900's.

It's mindboggling that you truly believe Minnesota football is an all time great program.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only reference the team of the idiot who makes dumb comments to show them how dumb their comment was.

You were inferring that UMn was overrated solely because they lost ONE GAME. I used OSU and last year's EOS AP poll to show you it's rare for any team to go undefeated.

Who has Minnesota played this year?

Here's the answer.

Minnesota's schedule so far.

Beat N.M. State. A team that isn't good from a small conference.

Beat W. Illinois. They're an FCS team. Nothing else needs to be said.

Beat CU. One of the worst, if not the worst, P5 program in the country.

Lost to a 2-2 Purdue team.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is funny how irrational freddy is.

Minnesota football has done next to nothing since 1960 but somehow they're one of the all time great programs.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota's schedule so far.

Beat N.M. State. A team that isn't good from a small conference.

Beat W. Illinois. They're an FCS team. Nothing else needs to be said.

Beat CU. One of the worst, if not the worst, P5 program in the country.

Lost to a 2-2 Purdue team.
I have never pimped this year's schedule.

Only thing I've done is defend it when people try to claim it's the easiest ever in history or something like that.

NMSU is NOT the worst fcs team, they trounced Hawaii, for one and only lost by a td on the road vs UTEP. That's NOT saying they are a good team, not even close, just not the worst.

FCS teams beat FBS teams, so something else DOES need to be said. Like in this case, WIU is not a good fcs team, never tried to claim they were, and why UMn's 2nd and 3rd stringers played almost all of the 2nd half of that game.

Colorado might be the worst P5 program in the country, but it wouldn't be fair to make that argument just because they played the toughest OOC schedule in the country I bet. They won 3 pac conf games last year. Their last 5 ooc games have been vs #6 ranked, at the time, Texas A&M, and they only lost by 3 points & 9-4 Minnesota last year, the 4-0 TCU team that just crushed Oklahoma(Colorado only got beat by 25 pts compared to OU who got beat by 30 some), Air Force(the #1 ranked rushing offense in the nation this year), and 4-1 Minnesota. And losing to UCLA doesn't prove you are the worst team in P5 either, or Top 15 ranked Washington would then also be the worst team in P5. Losing to Arizona LAST year might have made the argument, but Colorado beat Arizona last year and Stanford I believe and one of the pac teams that went to a bowl game, too. I've heard many say that this year's Arizona squad is much improved, and they've already won more games this year than they did the last 2 seasons combined, so those people are probably right. So...

Colorado COULD be the worst team in P5, and seeing as they hired on the crappy OC the Gophers fired after last season's inexcusable losses to BG, Illinois & Iowa, they may have gotten worse than they were last year. But losing to those 4 opponents only proves they are not as good as those 4, and their 5th loss was to a 5-0 and soon to be ranked UCLA, another quality loss. I'll wait to see how they do against their next 3 opponents, Cali, Oreg St and Arizona St before I go declaring them the worst team in P5. They miss Stanford this year, which is too bad for them as they could probably beat them, too.

Now as for Purdue, most who watched their game vs PSU believe the game was theirs to win, but they just blew it. So maybe Purdue is not as good as Top Ten ranked PSU? Although they may be better than PSU? The better team does not always win. Then many say the same thing about the game with Syracuse, it should have been a win for Purdue, and Syracuse is being very highly talked about by some out there. Not saying they will win the ACC or anything, but could finish in the upper third of the conf and ranked in the Top 25 by the end of the season? So those are Purdue's 2 losses, both games they could have and maybe even should have won? Not to make excuses, but the combination of having both Chris Autman-Bell AND Mo Ibrahim out of the game surely contributed to the Gophers not playing their A game. I've NEVER claimed that UMn was a Top 3 type program like Bama/OSU/Georgia, programs with such a wealth of talent and depth that they can overcome injuries easier than all other programs out there. UMn's losing just Mo Ibrahim last year cost them at least 1, and just maybe all 4 of the games they lost last year? Our backups were good enough to still win 9 games, and we had to go down to our 5th and 6th string RBs, but we still survived having to go down that deep on our roster, something we never could have done under Glen Mason and probably not Jerry Kill, either.

Now we got by without Autman-Bell in the MSU game because #1 we did have Mo, and #2 MSU's pass defense is their worst part of their game. Take Mo out of the game and replace MSU's pass defense with a Purdue defense that is top 40/50 against both the pass and the rush(Top 20 vs the Rush after Saturday's game) and Autman-Bell being out of the lineup DID hurt us.

And others who did see the game said dropped interceptions and a dropped td pass, along with a rare missed short fg seemed to all point to nothing going right for the Gophers yesterday. That happens sometimes.

Apparently that almost happened to #1 ranked Georgia even, yesterday against a team with the same record as Purdue, 2-2, going into the game.

Apparently that almost happened to #1-3 ranked Bama even, a few weeks ago vs an unranked Texas team.

#8, at the time, Notre Dame lost to an unranked G5 team.

#6, at the time, Texas A&M lost to an App St team with at least 2 losses.

#6, at the time, Oklahoma lost to one of the Kansas teams, and followed that up by getting trounced by an unranked TCU.

Dude, those are all just from this year.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop with that biased "time frame" nonsense. I mean simply comparing the two programs all time.

Which team has more national titles, more AA's, more Heisman winners, more conference crowns, more bowl wins?

The funny thing is I know exactly what utter bullshit you'll try to pull off next. And it won't work. So don't bother saying anything like.

You'll try to only focus on the years from 1934 to 1941. The Gophers won 5 titles in that timeframe. And ignore that after 1941 the only other really good season they've had was 1960. And don't forget to mention Minnesota's record in the early 1900's.

It's mindboggling that you truly believe Minnesota football is an all time great program.
It's NOT biased you moron. I asked what time frame so that I could answer you more accurately. Duh.

If you are speaking currently, like this year, then I would answer as I did, USC is arguably the most overrated team in the nation right now as they got that ranking solely based on getting in a new coach and some supposedly good transfers. NOTHING they have actually done on the football field justifies their Top Ten ranking. NOTHING.

They were 4-8 last year and bringing in a new coach, even when they are a great coach, usually requires at least a year to get into a groove and to rebuild. The coach wasn't left much in the cupboards, as they went 4-8, same as Colorado.

2021 USC = 2021 Colorado.

And so they got overrated, and haven't been exposed yet, because they haven't played anyone capable of exposing them yet. They could be a legit Top Ten team, but all I am saying is nothing they have done so far this year has proven they deserve that Top Ten ranking.

So when you combine with UMn did last year and brought back and added this year, and then how they performed in their first 4 games, I would have said yes, that UMn was better than USC. Now this weekend USC played another chump, and Minnesota played one of the other 2 teams most picked as a contender to win the B1G West this year, and who almost upset PSU and almost kept Syracuse from remaining undefeated. So after this weekend, I'm not as confident that UMn is, at this moment, better than USC. If Mo returns and UMn beats a pretty good Illinois team in 2 weeks and USC loses to Utah, then I'll be pretty confident that UMn is still better than USC. If injury gets added to insult and USC also loses to Wazzu next weekend, then I'll be sure UMn is better. I wouldn't bet on WSU as their beating Wisconsin looks like no big deal right now, but like I've said many times, USC hasn't proven much of anything yet. They've played 3 of the bottom 4-5 teams in the Pac so far and 2 chump ooc opponents, hardly proving much of anything.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say what I thought about MSU, I was talking about the experts, most of whom based their opinion on whether MSU had talent this year on who came back from last year's team that won 11 games, and Mac teams sometimes beat P5 teams, even ranked ones, so MSU crushing 2 of them wasn't an indicator that they were overrated, although some did suspect that MSU was over ranked at #11. I was one of those who suspected that, and why I had PSU as the one game I was the most afraid of losing, the Illinois game was 2nd on that list and the Purdue game was 3rd. Purdue should have beat PSU when they played and also could easily have won that game vs an undefeated so far Syracuse. I know you won't want to give them credit for either of those because you want to portray Purdue as badly as you can because you don't care about reality, but you care only about having something you think you can give me sh1t about. If Purdue goes on to beat Maryland next week, I want to hear you claim that Maryland is also a horrible no talent team. Let me guess, the only teams with talent in America are Bama, OSU, Georgia and Nebraska?
I would say Purdue and Maryland have more talent than the Mighty Gophers of Minnesota. Nebraska has little to no talent,

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Purdue and Maryland have more talent than the Mighty Gophers of Minnesota. Nebraska has little to no talent,
First, what leads you to think this? Anything outside of your own personal biased eye test?

Purdue and Maryland's domination of the recent series' with Minnesota? lol

2019 & 2021 UMn pummeled Maryland.
UMn had won 4 in a row vs Purdue going into this weekend's game.

And we'll see at the end of the year, when the bowl games have been played and the B1G Conf Awards are handed out and the Natl Rankings are finalized and the 2023 draft happens. Add Mo to the UMn/Purdue game, and UMn wins. Have UMn and Purdue play 10 times and UMn wins 6 or 7 of the games. IMO.

Not sure yet regarding Maryland? They played Michigan tough, I'll give them that, but then they looked much less impressive vs MSU, can you deny that? That could be just as easily Michigan being overrated as it is Maryland being good, and it could ALSO be just as easily UMn having a good day vs MSU where as Maryland only had an ok day vs MSU or MSU had a bad day vs UMn but only an average day vs Maryland? Minnesota had a 4 point lead and the ball vs OSU last year when Mo Ibrahim went down, and that was not as good of a team as this year's squad, by any metric out there, so far.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU vs Mary - 13-27
MSU vs UMn - 7-34.

So no, I don't agree with you about Maryland.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But in the 50’s SC wasn’t some dominant football powerhouse so Minnesota > SC.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC never won a Rose Bowl in the 50s?

You going to tell me USC didn't win the Natl Title in 1962?

Not that I think head to head means much, but USC has a 6-1-1 record vs UMn.

USC is one of the best cfb programs in cfb history, and their success is not just a recent thing. UMn was better than USC until the 20s and early 30s, then USC did some catching up, UMn put some distance between them in the 30s and early 40s until WW2 went out of it's way to end UMn's domination of cfb and USC seemed to benefit from the war years, then USC did a little better than UMn in 50s, then UMn bested USC for 2 more years before USC passed them up for the last and final time, and not long after UMn beat UCLA in the 1962 RoseBowl, USC passed UMn up historically and has been better than UMn almost every single year going forward if not every year, until 1999. Then again not until 2019, 2021 and possibly 2022. Now those 3-4 seasons did very little to catch UMn back up to USC historically, it would take decades of UMn doing better than USC to catch up historically, which is very unlikely to happen, seeing as USC is still considered a helmet school and UMn lost that label back in the 80s probably.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 50's were owned by 2 UMn alums, Biggie Munn at Michigan St and Bud Wilkinson at Oklahoma. UMn dominated from 33-41, but even then USC won a title in 32 I think, and had 2-4 titles already by then, and ranked really high in 1939, and won a title in 1962 I believe? So USC has always been right up there with the likes of UMn, Michigan, Bama and Notre Dame. Those were close to the Top 5 cfb programs historically into the 1960s, off the top of my head.

Last edited:

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, what leads you to think this? Anything outside of your own personal biased eye test?

Purdue and Maryland's domination of the recent series' with Minnesota? lol

2019 & 2021 UMn pummeled Maryland.
UMn had won 4 in a row vs Purdue going into this weekend's game.

And we'll see at the end of the year, when the bowl games have been played and the B1G Conf Awards are handed out and the Natl Rankings are finalized and the 2023 draft happens. Add Mo to the UMn/Purdue game, and UMn wins. Have UMn and Purdue play 10 times and UMn wins 6 or 7 of the games. IMO.

Not sure yet regarding Maryland? They played Michigan tough, I'll give them that, but then they looked much less impressive vs MSU, can you deny that? That could be just as easily Michigan being overrated as it is Maryland being good, and it could ALSO be just as easily UMn having a good day vs MSU where as Maryland only had an ok day vs MSU or MSU had a bad day vs UMn but only an average day vs Maryland? Minnesota had a 4 point lead and the ball vs OSU last year when Mo Ibrahim went down, and that was not as good of a team as this year's squad, by any metric out there, so far.
Not talking about previous years, talking about this year.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not talking about previous years, talking about this year.
Fine, what about this year?

UMn dominated MSU far more impressively than Maryland did.

Purdue needed UMn's best player to not play and apparently Gopher players to uncharacteristically drop passes and interception chances to pull out a win against them. We'll see how both teams play going forward.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC never won a Rose Bowl in the 50s?

You going to tell me USC didn't win the Natl Title in 1962?

Not that I think head to head means much, but USC has a 6-1-1 record vs UMn.

USC is one of the best cfb programs in cfb history, and their success is not just a recent thing. UMn was better than USC until the 20s and early 30s, then USC did some catching up, UMn put some distance between them in the 30s and early 40s until WW2 went out of it's way to end UMn's domination of cfb and USC seemed to benefit from the war years, then USC did a little better than UMn in 50s, then UMn bested USC for 2 more years before USC passed them up for the last and final time, and not long after UMn beat UCLA in the 1962 RoseBowl, USC passed UMn up historically and has been better than UMn almost every single year going forward if not every year, until 1999. Then again not until 2019, 2021 and possibly 2022. Now those 3-4 seasons did very little to catch UMn back up to USC historically, it would take decades of UMn doing better than USC to catch up historically, which is very unlikely to happen, seeing as USC is still considered a helmet school and UMn lost that label back in the 80s probably.
Look at the post you just replied to and your proceeding post you Gucking Fopher.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really should step a away from the laptop. Forget your user name and password, because you're an online idiot