• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan pulls out of Arkansas series

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI. . .

"Alabama and Michigan State were, at one time, scheduled to play a home-and-home series.

"The teams were set to face each other in Tuscaloosa (2016) and East Lansing (2017) before the Tide abruptly canceled those plans in 2013. . . .

"Initially, an Alabama spokesman blamed uncertainty with the SEC schedule — the conference was mulling a 9-game schedule at the time — but on Tuesday, coach Nick Saban gave a different explanation.

“'For business reasons, we have played neutral-site games to start the season,'” Saban said, according to the Lansing State Journal. 'And when you play a home-and-home – which we played Penn State home-and-home a few years ago — when you play at home you do really well (financially), when you play away you don’t do very well. When you play a neutral-site (game), you do very well every year.

“'We wanted to try to play the series, instead of home-and-home, at neutral sites. And we had other opportunities to play other teams at neutral sites. So from a business perspective, our administration chose to do that. It was certainly nothing personal. And not that it wouldn’t have been a great series, I think it would have been.'”

"Asked about the decision by Alabama, Michigan State linebacker Riley Bullough offered a diplomatic answer, contending that such choices are above his pay grade and that he’s only thinking about playing the Tide in Thursday night’s national semifinal.

"MSU athletic director Mark Hollis was a little more pointed last week: 'They wanted a neutral-site game and now they’ve got a neutral-site game.'”

Nick Saban explains why Alabama canceled series with Michigan State

So, for "business" reasons [the popularity of the Michigan/ND games], Michigan decided to cancel its contract with Arkansas. They will more than make up for the $2 million it cost them.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI. . .

"Alabama and Michigan State were, at one time, scheduled to play a home-and-home series.

"The teams were set to face each other in Tuscaloosa (2016) and East Lansing (2017) before the Tide abruptly canceled those plans in 2013. . . .

"Initially, an Alabama spokesman blamed uncertainty with the SEC schedule — the conference was mulling a 9-game schedule at the time — but on Tuesday, coach Nick Saban gave a different explanation.

“'For business reasons, we have played neutral-site games to start the season,'” Saban said, according to the Lansing State Journal. 'And when you play a home-and-home – which we played Penn State home-and-home a few years ago — when you play at home you do really well (financially), when you play away you don’t do very well. When you play a neutral-site (game), you do very well every year.

“'We wanted to try to play the series, instead of home-and-home, at neutral sites. And we had other opportunities to play other teams at neutral sites. So from a business perspective, our administration chose to do that. It was certainly nothing personal. And not that it wouldn’t have been a great series, I think it would have been.'”

"Asked about the decision by Alabama, Michigan State linebacker Riley Bullough offered a diplomatic answer, contending that such choices are above his pay grade and that he’s only thinking about playing the Tide in Thursday night’s national semifinal.

"MSU athletic director Mark Hollis was a little more pointed last week: 'They wanted a neutral-site game and now they’ve got a neutral-site game.'”

Nick Saban explains why Alabama canceled series with Michigan State

So, for "business" reasons [the popularity of the Michigan/ND games], Michigan decided to cancel its contract with Arkansas. They will more than make up for the $2 million it cost them.

So for "business reasons" they didn't want to play Michigan and would rather play Western Kentucky and Chattanooga and Kent State at home type teams every single year. Yeah ,not buying that money is the reason.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So for "business reasons" they didn't want to play Michigan and would rather play Western Kentucky and Chattanooga and Kent State at home type teams every single year. Yeah ,not buying that money is the reason.

Well, to clarify, they didn't want to play Michigan STATE. . . . At that time, Michigan State was trending up, and Alabama would play them in the CFB Playoff that year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I heard, Alabama wanted to play their hands me game but wanted Michigan State's home game to be moved to a neutral locations and Michigan State said no.
Well, to clarify, they didn't want to play Michigan STATE. . . . At that time, Michigan State was trending up, and Alabama would play them in the CFB Playoff that year.
Michigan State's best team under Dantonio was 2013 and had been trending down since then.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually dipshit, we replaced the games with USC and Florida St.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I heard, Alabama wanted to play their hands me game but wanted Michigan State's home game to be moved to a neutral locations and Michigan State said no.

This is bullshit.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears as though Michigan does whatever ND wants them to do. Does that make Michigan, ND's bitch? :nod:

Of course we do. Teams should be lining up to play ND. Get national exposure, smack them around and laugh at my brother. :behindsofa:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, it's a good thing Alabama canceled that Michigan St game, otherwise we'd have been playing a team that didn't come close to making a bowl game.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is bullshit.

Are you sure? You know I have nothing against Coach Saban & have said repeatedly he's the best CFB coach in the country. But I could see something like that happening because it is a fact he doesn't play true home & home series against anyone. It's always that neutral site nonsense.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, it's a good thing Alabama canceled that Michigan St game, otherwise we'd have been playing a team that didn't come close to making a bowl game.

Excuses, excuses, . . .

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have hurt your SoS more than an FCS team.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure? You know I have nothing against Coach Saban & have said repeatedly he's the best CFB coach in the country. But I could see something like that happening because it is a fact he doesn't play true home & home series against anyone. It's always that neutral site nonsense.

There is no way in the world they asked or expected Michigan St to come to Alabama and then play the other game at a neutral site - after the home and home deal was done.

At best it would have been changed down to a single neutral site game. That I could see. But Alabama keeping their home game and Michigan St losing theirs just isn't the kind of thing that happens, and it would have been insulting to Michigan St to ask. I know Bill Battle had much more class than that.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuses, excuses, . . .

Excuses for what? We played USC instead of Michigan St last year. This year instead of Michigan St we'll be playing Florida St - who is likely a preseason top5 team.

Btw, where is Michigan opening up their season this year? Surely it's not a neutral site game!

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way in the world they asked or expected Michigan St to come to Alabama and then play the other game at a neutral site - after the home and home deal was done.

At best it would have been changed down to a single neutral site game. That I could see. But Alabama keeping their home game and Michigan St losing theirs just isn't the kind of thing that happens, and it would have been insulting to Michigan St to ask. I know Bill Battle had much more class than that.
So much class that he lied about uncertainty with the SEC schedule after a 13-1 vote against a 9 game schedule and no other games scheduled and instantly went looking for neutral site games?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much class that he lied about uncertainty with the SEC schedule after a 13-1 vote against a 9 game schedule and no other games scheduled and instantly went looking for neutral site games?

You mean he said something before a vote, in which Alabama was the 1 vote you mention?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

Fuck you. :D
giphy.gif

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

Fuck you. :D
That being said, I can't find anything that said what I read before, so I will stop repeating it. In the end it, it worked out best for everyone.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how Bama fan says they replaced games with as good games yet still play every OCC home game in the last ten years with
Western Kentucky and Chattanooga and Kent State, Mercer, Towsend type teams.