• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan is going to win it all, well that's what Michigan thinks

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Geez, you guys are taking the parallels comment greater than it was meant to be taken.

Yes, the offense isn't going to be great, but they have plenty of good options on WR, a stable of RBs and as for "good Qb's with experience" did you miss this off-season news?
QB Jake Rudock transferring to Michigan
The offense, while not going to light the world on fire, can be dependable. Which is all it needs to be.

Because remember, the 1997 team was lead by the defense, which Michigan's is one of the best in the conference, if not the country. For all the terrible spots the offense last year put the defense in, they still had top 10 stats.
No, I know all about Ruddock. I just don't consider a 50-60th ranked quarterback in all of FBS getting a worse offensive line than what he had before to be a "good" quarterback.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imagesrwerwewerwer.jpg

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Geez, you guys are taking the parallels comment greater than it was meant to be taken.

Yes, the offense isn't going to be great, but they have plenty of good options on WR, a stable of RBs and as for "good Qb's with experience" did you miss this off-season news?
QB Jake Rudock transferring to Michigan
The offense, while not going to light the world on fire, can be dependable. Which is all it needs to be.

Because remember, the 1997 team was lead by the defense, which Michigan's is one of the best in the conference, if not the country. For all the terrible spots the offense last year put the defense in, they still had top 10 stats.
They were not top 10 in any single stat major stat. Outside top 50 in red zone defense, 3rd down effiency, turnovers, 42nd in sacks, high 20s in tackles for a loss and scoring defense, 19th in passing and 15th in rushing defense. Considering most of the games the other team was trying to kill clock, the yardage can be misleading.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were not top 10 in any single stat major stat. Outside top 50 in red zone defense, 3rd down effiency, turnovers, 42nd in sacks, high 20s in tackles for a loss and scoring defense, 19th in passing and 15th in rushing defense. Considering most of the games the other team was trying to kill clock, the yardage can be misleading.

College Football Stats - College FB Team Opponent Yards per Game on TeamRankings.com
1. Penn St.
2. Clemson
3. Stanford
4. Wisconsin
5. Central Fl.
6. MICHIGAN
7. Louisville
8. MSU
9. LSU
10. Arkansas

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I know all about Ruddock. I just don't consider a 50-60th ranked quarterback in all of FBS getting a worse offensive line than what he had before to be a "good" quarterback.

He did a good job at Iowa, and Michigan's line will be better than what he had there. For being much maligned the best couple of years, towards the end of last season they actually made improvement, and the new O-line coach and OC have a proven track record of developing lines. Just see what he did at USC.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Football Stats - College FB Team Opponent Yards per Game on TeamRankings.com
1. Penn St.
2. Clemson
3. Stanford
4. Wisconsin
5. Central Fl.
6. MICHIGAN
7. Louisville
8. MSU
9. LSU
10. Arkansas
Yes they were getting stopped by the end zone and the other team trying to kill clock. Your team forced 8 turnovers total. Top tier defenses do not get 3 interceptions in a year, that's one game for some teams. Michigan was 27th in scoring defense. That is not top tier. That's fairly good but not top tier by any stretch of the imagination.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did a good job at Iowa, and Michigan's line will be better than what he had there. For being much maligned the best couple of years, towards the end of last season they actually made improvement, and the new O-line coach and OC have a proven track record of developing lines. Just see what he did at USC.
Success elsewhere =/= success everywhere. Rich Rod was successful at WV and currently at Arizona.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they were getting stopped by the end zone and the other team trying to kill clock. Your team forced 8 turnovers total. Top tier defenses do not get 3 interceptions in a year, that's one game for some teams. Michigan was 27th in scoring defense. That is not top tier. That's fairly good but not top tier by any stretch of the imagination.

Total Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com
1. Clemson
2. Penn St.
3. Stanford
4. Wisconsin
5. UCF
6. Louisville
7. MICHIGAN
8. MSU
9. LSU
10. Arkansas

Tell me again, how is Michigan's defense not top tier?

No question the lack of turnovers was a disappointment, but to not say they were one of the best is being disingenuous

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com
1. Clemson
2. Penn St.
3. Stanford
4. Wisconsin
5. UCF
6. Louisville
7. MICHIGAN
8. MSU
9. LSU
10. Arkansas

Tell me again, how is Michigan's defense not top tier?

No question the lack of turnovers was a disappointment, but to not say they were one of the best is being disingenuous
That's one single stat that doesn't tell a complete story. If you look at a complete picture, they are not a top tier defense.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuses, excuses........

Oh......now we're playing the law of transitive game........:nono:

So you are saying that the PAC-10 champs lead by the #2 QB taken in that year's draft (which many wondered if Leach would be taken over Manning) was a chump? Ok................

1998 UTenn =/= 1997 UTenn :nono:

And the coaches didn't gift their poll to Osborne as a lifetime achievement award on his retirement..........
Nope. They all gifted Osborne his first one in '94

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Michigan team which has underperformed the previous couple of years, lots of questions on offense, but a top tier defense (headlined by a star DB, who could play in all three phases of the game).

Granted there are also diffrences, namely the underperformance has been greater and there is a new coach, but the parallels are there.
What top tier defense?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they were arguably the worst of what would now be considered a Power 5 team, with a very high academic standard which can't be hidden by university size.

The fact that Stanford went from whipping boy status to conference contender was all due to Harbaugh.
I would say that had a lot more to do with Luck

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly liked you Mich fans better when you were sitting down and shutting up.

I have some good friends who are UM fans but boy do I hope they never stop sucking. I want the Wolverines to experience 14 consecutive losing seasons. I want them losing to Maryland and Rutgers as often as possible. I hope they get embarrassed in the big house by sun belt and MAC teams.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. They all gifted Osborne his first one in '94

Exactly.

If there was a gift to Osborne it was in 1994 (NOT 1997). He'd already won two (back to back) prior to 1997. They owed him nothing.

So we're back to Michigan sucking against a chump Washington St (21-16) and Nebraska crushing the #3 Vols led by Peyton Manning (42-17).

The AP gift to Michigan was to save face for 4 decades of pitiful pimping by needle dicks with typewriters.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would prefer Harbaugh over a crappy coach like Riley at your school?

That statement doesn't have anything to do with Riley. He's never coached a game here.

However, Riley wouldn't have even been in my top 5 as head coach here. I hope he makes a fool out of me, but I'm not too worried about that. I have an eerie feeling the "At least 9 wins" gig is over.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, with 2 top ten classes and plenty of 4/5 star recruits on the Michigan roster, and there is no potential NFL draft picks.......................................

Note, I didn't say there are 31, but 7/8 is far too low. How many draft picks came out of the Harbaugh years at Stanford, and what was the material he had to work with?

Yeah, that was 41 in 8 seasons...6 of which were the #1 recruiting class. Keep on smoking the good stuff. If you have all this talent, clearly you would have no problem making an avy bet with an over/under on the number of Michigan wins at 10...

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note, I am going to have to steal the "high as giraffe pussy" Have not heard that but its now one of my favorites.

I must admit I stole it from a friend, and have been using it everywhere, still makes me laugh.