• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Sam ?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Based on what I've heard about the rest of his kids, Sam's father may want to think long and hard about alienating this particular son. It's sad that people still hold these views. Sadder still that he aired those thoughts publicly.

I don't envy the position he's found himself in, though; it can be difficult news no matter how you learn of it, and all the more so when you're thrust into the public eye.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Father is a joke. Its 2014, come on man grow up. Him being gay has nothing to do with his talent. Look I wouldn't my son to be gay because how tough of a childhood he would have but I would support him and love him no matter what. Being gay isn't a disease. Its who he is.

I feel bad for Sam. Its a joke how people still react like this. His father is pathetic and if I was Sam I would succeed in life just to show up his father.

I hope 49ers draft this kid and he becomes a stud.

The only reasons I've ever thought about not liking it if my daughters were lesbians was in two ways: I don't want them to have a tough life either not being with who they love or doing so and facing the hate from others. The second reason is because I don't want to keep hearing that no matter how much I support them that I don't understand.

I want to support my daughters in whatever they do (if it doesn't hurt others or themselves, obviously). But I know I'd get a bit defensive if I supported them, truly were not upset, truly loved them, tried to show support, and then they acted persecuted all the time to me, as if their sexuality is everything about them and that no one supported them or could be empathetic with their struggles.

Their license, however justified, to be pessimistic, frustrated about everything, disrespectful to support (if they felt it were fake or condescending), etc. would grow tired. I'd tell them to study in school, work at work, find love with whomever they love, etc. You know a normal life. I know it's not like that, but what's the alternative? When they encounter discrimination or hate, try to deal with it, I'll be there for them, but don't let that be everything. It's hard but we all need to move on from others comments, looks, etc. however seldom we get it compared to their frequency. We all need to move on from disappointments in love, etc.

I know about four homosexuals. Two of them live with a healthy perspective, each section of their life, like a normal person would, just their dating or married life with the same gender. The two others constantly post on Facebook about it, as if they are obsessed with their sexuality, sometimes interesting, sometimes whiny. I know both pretty well. It's hard, but I hope that my daughters, if gay, take the attitude of the first two.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the above post sounds like I overvalue my influence of support on my children. That, as if me supporting them makes their life easier to some great degree. That's not what I meant. I also didn't mean to trivialize it or act like since all I know about a person is their sexuality and therefore that becomes them and all of a sudden they must be obsessed. I know that it is a huge part of life and extremely hard to overcome. It's a fine line of wallowing is self pity and facing a lot of hard situations. I'm straight and I love my wife, she means everything to me, but there are a lot of times, places, etc. where I have to be operating as if that isn't relevant. When I am studying or working, I'm not thinking of her per se. Don't tell her though. :) I have disappointments in my life or frustrations with myself or others, but I have to put those aside, and in doing so, it allows me to do more and live happier.

I'll stop now, as I'm sure I have offended someone or appeared shortsighted/simple. I already bored you, didn't mean to insult anyone, too!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:puke: Verbal Diarrhea.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm not sure what Michael Sam could bring to the Niners except special teams play. He's a high-floor kind of guy, which helps if you're looking for a potential starter, but if you're looking for a 5th-string OLB I' be more comfortable going with a project like they did w/ Cam Johnson.

Maybe Ronald Powell.

I'd be surprised if the Niners draft an OLB at all though (maybe in the 7th).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. And last I checked, Joe Normal college graduate's announcement that he was gay wasn't national news.

Now you're getting it. You just said the whole story is that he is gay.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure what Michael Sam could bring to the Niners except special teams play. He's a high-floor kind of guy, which helps if you're looking for a potential starter, but if you're looking for a 5th-string OLB I' be more comfortable going with a project like they did w/ Cam Johnson.

Maybe Ronald Powell.

I'd be surprised if the Niners draft an OLB at all though (maybe in the 7th).

I tend to agree with you; we should aim high and try to get a guy with elevated athletic skills who falls for some reason. That said, there's no guarantee Aldon will be around after next year, and Brooks could be a cap casualty in a year or two. Skuta is a FA after next year. So it would make some sense to start grooming a later-round replacement.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Even if this broke, assuming he confirmed it, there would still be a major story. The manner of his announcement is not what is driving this story.

2) The fact that it is a story that someone would break at all indicates that it is, in fact, a big deal.

3) If the guy was going to be outed nationally, which seems somewhat likely, he wanted it to be on his own terms. I can certainly respect that.

Yep, but that takes away from it because he knew he was going to be outed. What would have been more cool is if he didn't out himself and when asked why, he just said "I didn't think it was a big deal" and then never answered another question about it. This way it kind of looks like he's looking for his 15 minutes.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now you're getting it. You just said the whole story is that he is gay.

The story is that he is an openly gay man who is attempting to play in the NFL. Take away either element and it's not news. Combine them, and it is big news.

Nothing to say about the fact that life really is different for homosexuals, huh?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yep, but that takes away from it because he knew he was going to be outed. What would have been more cool is if he didn't out himself and when asked why, he just said "I didn't think it was a big deal" and then never answered another question about it. This way it kind of looks like he's looking for his 15 minutes.

Maybe to some. It's worth noting that no one else has tried to achieve these particular 15 minutes. In fact, many people have gone to great distances to avoid them.

I said this in the draft thread, but if he was going to be outed, it was only because he came out to his teammates at the beginning of this season. Though I have to ask, what exactly is taken away?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Case in point, Toby, that our society - or at least large swaths of it - still view homosexuality as different and wrong.

We all know that. The best way to combat this is to make it a non-story.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A number of current NFL players are on record as saying they would not accept a gay teammate, including one on the most prominent media stage just over a year ago. A number of GMs have suggested that they would not draft a gay player, or at least would knock him down in rankings for being gay. You may want gay people to act like they are the same as everyone else, but they aren't. They are regularly treated very differently from people who are not gay. That is the primary reason why this is a story. Certainly there are people in the gay rights movement who convey their message in a manner with which I disagree, but there is a movement at all because it is a historically oppressed minority that still lacks equal rights.

It is very easy for someone in the majority to say that the minority should be less vocal about inequality. I wonder if you would feel the same way if the roles were reversed. Actually, that's not true. I don't wonder; I already know the answer.

Of course you do. You quoted me where I said how I would want to be treated in your post above. Don't be silly.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story is that he is an openly gay man who is attempting to play in the NFL. Take away either element and it's not news. Combine them, and it is big news.

Nothing to say about the fact that life really is different for homosexuals, huh?

No because its not the topic we are on. We all know life can be difficult for them; you'll get no argument from me on the matter. As long as they or the government are not trying to shove their beliefs down my throat I have no problem with gays. I have no problem with what a person does as long as he's not hurting people.

I get sick of people saying "its should not be a story and it shouldn't matter" on sports shows like Mike and Mike yet they won't shut up about it and are the very ones who are keeping it in the news. We should all be saying "OK, good" and then forget about it.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know that. The best way to combat this is to make it a non-story.

Sadly that is actually the exact wrong way to handle the situation. Normalization is how you combat hatred/bigotry because in most instances ignorance is the biggest factor that contributes to that sort of behavior.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly that is actually the exact wrong way to handle the situation. Normalization is how you combat hatred/bigotry because in most instances ignorance is the biggest factor that contributes to that sort of behavior.

Exactly. You act like it is normal, you don't sensationalize the situation. It becomes a non story and it becomes acceptable. Its as simple as that.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just see the comments his father made or the some of the comments on the general board and you can see why unfortunately it's a story worth discussing.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Random note:

In Michael Sam's defense purely as a prospect, he did really well against the Cocks this year. He took a lot of double teams & hit on the QB. I mean got a big hit on the QB.