• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Sam ?

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well like I said on the main board he's really killed his draft stock because teams aren't going to risk another Johnathan Martin case nor are they going to want the distraction that comes with the media circus around him.

Ready for another great 5th round Seahawk pick?
pretty sure he will be chosen by then.
whoever gets this man. Gets a great player.

Me thinks this a great 4th or sooner

pick by ANY team.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You stink of familiarity. This isn't your original screen name is it?

So now that I'm not on your wavelength, I remind you of a past troll? I've been using this name since forever. What basically turned me against you were all your ridiculous trade proposals and more recently, your reference to Kap as "DumbDumb." I've never really repped Kap much, but reading your statements about him has lowered my IQ. Maybe I turned into a "DumbDumb" as a result.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You stink of familiarity. This isn't your original screen name is it?

And for what's it's worth, I support Michael Sam and I hope some team drafts him. My statement about Aaron Rodgers was in jest. Similar to how Tomickon made a comment about Clay Matthews.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Mizu fan, I hope he does well in the league. Before this I saw him as a 3rd rounder at best, now I'm not really sure one way or the other. I don't think it improves his position. I don't think he has the body style (long) to play OLB, and I just don't think he's big enough to play end. I think if he lost about 10lbs (in the hopes it might increase his speed a bit) I think he could definitely play ILB. He's got a motor that wont stop, he plays hard on every play, and he plays the entire game.

Also, if anyone hasn't seen it, you should check out his play that helped MU win the cotton bowl. As a 9ers fan and a Tigers fan, it really reminded me of the Bowman play against the Falcons. Bowman was a INT, and Sam's was a fumble run back, but the game situation, and the result were very similar. They also happened within about 2 weeks of each other, so for me it was awesome. You can see it at the 2:10 mark of this video, Ealy (who I love) had the strip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm a Mizu fan, I hope he does well in the league. Before this I saw him as a 3rd rounder at best, now I'm not really sure one way or the other. I don't think it improves his position. I don't think he has the body style (long) to play OLB, and I just don't think he's big enough to play end. I think if he lost about 10lbs (in the hopes it might increase his speed a bit) I think he could definitely play ILB. He's got a motor that wont stop, he plays hard on every play, and he plays the entire game.

Also, if anyone hasn't seen it, you should check out his play that helped MU win the cotton bowl. As a 9ers fan and a Tigers fan, it really reminded me of the Bowman play against the Falcons. Bowman was a INT, and Sam's was a fumble run back, but the game situation, and the result were very similar. They also happened within about 2 weeks of each other, so for me it was awesome. You can see it at the 2:10 mark of this video, Ealy (who I love) had the strip.
Gus Johnson's best calls from the Cotton Bowl - YouTube

That's why he'll probably fall a ways in this draft. I'll bet he goes somewhere in the 5th, and there may be talk about how he fell because he came out, but it will more likely be because he's a true tweener. That said, he fits the mold for Pittsburg pretty nicely. They've had success with shorter, stouter OLBs.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gus Johnson's best calls from the Cotton Bowl - YouTube

I had this wrong, Sam had the sack on the play, I think it was Shane Ray running it back.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is my question can he play ILB. I read about his intangibles and the seem very strong. IE good leader high motor great teammate and all those attributes would be greatly advanced if he was in the same group of P Will and Bowman. But how fast is he? Also how instinctive is he? How well does he tackle?

All are ILBs are pretty small in height and I would like to see a bigger guy in the fold especially since we have some big bruising RBs in our division. But from what I have read I question his athleticism. As a Tiger fan Josh can you give us any insight on him potentially moving to ILB for the 49er?

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is my question can he play ILB. I read about his intangibles and the seem very strong. IE good leader high motor great teammate and all those attributes would be greatly advanced if he was in the same group of P Will and Bowman. But how fast is he? Also how instinctive is he? How well does he tackle?

All are ILBs are pretty small in height and I would like to see a bigger guy in the fold especially since we have some big bruising RBs in our division. But from what I have read I question his athleticism. As a Tiger fan Josh can you give us any insight on him potentially moving to ILB for the 49er?

I'm curious as well. If his measureables at the combine check out, I'd be willing to draft him to help the LB corps until Bowman comes back.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's not Willis fast (but I'm not sure any other LB is). I think his 40 yard times are in the 4.7 range (I think his best is 4.64) which would make him comparable to Bowman in speed. I already think he's pretty athletic for his size, but I'd like to see him drop 10/15lbs (get in that 240 range) and see how he can move after that. I think he's good enough and smart enough to play vs the run (he wraps up better than a lot of college DEs). I think the biggest question and his biggest hurdle would be how can he do in coverage, cause it's not something he had to do much at all as a DE.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team were going to try and convert him to an ILB, I wouldn't spend anything more than a 6th for that, and I think it would take at least a couple years of easing him into the position for it to work.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're better off keeping him as an OLB. Converting him to ILB, even if he played it in High School or whatever is going to take a minimum of a year. If he's converted he's not going to make the active roster in 2014 over Wilhoite and Moody and some other team will probably try to snatch him off the PS to make their team as a DE/OLB. If we draft him with the idea of making him an ILB we're basically throwing the draft pick away.

Depending on Aldon's contract our linebacking corp is going to take up 25-30% of our salary cap and we're going to need to start developing replacements. Brooks would be the obvious man out and no guarantee Lemonier can be the guy. We need to stash all the young pass rushers we can get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A look at each team and likelihood they would consider adding Sam:

Which team drafts Michael Sam? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

In some ways, the Niners might be more likely to add a player like Sam than a team that has a glaring need at pass rusher, as those teams will likely address the position earlier in the draft. I can't see us using anything higher than a late-fourth or fifth on him, but once we're in the fifth his production starts looking pretty good.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A look at each team and likelihood they would consider adding Sam:

Which team drafts Michael Sam? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

In some ways, the Niners might be more likely to add a player like Sam than a team that has a glaring need at pass rusher, as those teams will likely address the position earlier in the draft. I can't see us using anything higher than a late-fourth or fifth on him, but once we're in the fifth his production starts looking pretty good.

No offense meant to you and your interest in the subject but the attention getting paid to this thing all over the news is getting really old.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No offense meant to you and your interest in the subject but the attention getting paid to this thing all over the news is getting really old.

It's a big story. He's likely to be the first openly gay male athlete in a major professional sport. It's also a completely dead time for football news.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big story. He's likely to be the first openly gay male athlete in a major professional sport. It's also a completely dead time for football news.

Again, no offense intended, but I just don't see the big deal. I couldn't care less if he is gay. Seems it is an issue because we are making it an issue. I guess the gay agenda holds no interest to me. if he can play, he should play, if he can't he shouldn't, just like any other athlete.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again, no offense intended, but I just don't see the big deal. I couldn't care less if he is gay. Seems it is an issue because we are making it an issue. I guess the gay agenda holds no interest to me. if he can play, he should play, if he can't he shouldn't, just like any other athlete.

You may not see it as a big deal. Most people do. And that doesn't have anything to do with the "gay agenda."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeMaurice Smith rips unnamed general managers who downgraded Michael Sam - ESPN

They didn't say that it affected their board, just that it might affect his overall status. I certainly would not take somebody because they came out. I'd go based upon my team's needs or best player available. But when talking about other teams, of course, I would think that something this big would affect it one way or another.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may not see it as a big deal. Most people do. And that doesn't have anything to do with the "gay agenda."

Of course it does. DOn't be ridiculous. It has everything to do with it. If not, show me another projected 4th or 5th rounder getting this kind of attention prior to the draft.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Of course it does. DOn't be ridiculous. It has everything to do with it. If not, show me another projected 4th or 5th rounder getting this kind of attention prior to the draft.

It has to do with the fact that he's openly gay, not with this so-called "gay agenda," whatever that is.