• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Miami Heat Game Thread for December/January

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, why not bring Beasley back and sign him for 2 years at the minimum?
With the new cap increases, its nothing.
He's still a young, athletic body who brings what he brings.

Bird sucks and will be traded to whoever is willing to take him with Riley prob throwing in a draft pick as incentive.
Amare sucks and won't be back. UD is done. Whiteside prob gone.
McBob sucks and can't stay healthy.
That leaves us Bosh and Stokes.

I think you and Andrea are the only ones who have expressed consistent feelings over Hassan not being here passed this season. No reason to think he won't be back. Lots of season yet to be played and a lot more room for him to develop as a player obviously - which will determine whether or not he is worthy of a big contract or not. His fate is not set just yet. Unless you are on the same bandwagon as Andrea who says he won't want to come back because he isn't happy with not being played in certain times of games. This organization is about sacrificing and all that team-first stuff -- if Hassan won't buy into that, he will surely be gone and rightly so.

As for Beasley, here is the latest Ask Ira where Ira Winderman covers that and basically shoots down the potential reunion in the same manner he has a couple times already recently:

ASK IRA: Are Heat in danger of playing lottery-protection game again?

Q: Is it time to try with Michael Beasley again? -- Morris, New York.
A: No, been there, failed that. And how come it always comes down to the Heat taking a shot? Why have none of the other 29 teams over the past two seasons looked at his numbers in China and made a run? Look, I can appreciate how Michael provides the type of offense that Justise Winslow doesn't. But do you really want to take minutes away from Winslow at this stage for a stop-gap veteran? Plus, isn't Gerald Green supposed to be Beasley? So for all those pushing for Beasley to come in and ease the scoring and shooting concerns, my question would be whether you instead would be willing to cash out on Green?

As for the Heat in the lottery? as bks says, why worry about the standings now? this rough patch doesn't mean its going to be a total collapse. This team will be in the playoffs.

And here is another bit of good news from Ira -- Our top PGs will be back next game so that probably means no more Tyler Johnson and Josh Richardson anymore and they can go back to the end of the bench and the inactive/DNP list where they belong at the moment. The Richardson and TJ did have their moments, but as I have always said - when they are asked to do too much -- its recipe for failure for those guys.

So , see, at least our top 2 PGs will be back next game -- and hopefully by tomorrow night Wade has gotten his vaginal aches and swelling under control and is back ready to play tomorrow. Oh by the way, as for his future, this ought to be his last season and just call it a career - otherwise, he needs to take a bench role which he should start doing as of the next game he decides to make himself available. Its the best way to extend his career. And it would be a luxury for the TEAM to have him come off the bench.

All is not lost for the Heat. Better days ahead. These are just the bumps on the road back to the glory days. Whose with me?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always told you guys Riley is not good at spotting talent. He's excellent when it comes to trades. I don't trust his judgement or anyone in the front office when it comes to signing free agents

I agree. Riley's a mastermind with trades and recruiting players. But when it comes down to recognizing talent, he's subpar. I still remember the draft where we could've picked Draymond Green. Everyone on this forum wanted him, Riley didn't. The rest is history.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Whiteside, my opinion is that day 1 of FA, some team will throw a 5 yr max at him.
My opinion is Riley won't.
We shall see.
I'm not even sure how I feel about it.
After the season the vision should be much more clear.

And regardless of Ira, who is always anti Beasley.,
This roster, for sure, will be - Deng, bird, Amare and UD next year.
Beasley at the minimum is better then the other options that will be out there if u need to fill that many spots.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Riley's a mastermind with trades and recruiting players. But when it comes down to recognizing talent, he's subpar. I still remember the draft where we could've picked Draymond Green. Everyone on this forum wanted him, Riley didn't. The rest is history.

I was rather pissed that day. The guy had Heat written all over him. I saw a lot of UD in him but with more potential offensively. A guy that did all the dirty work to make his presence felt. I think part of the problem with Riles is, he has run so many good teams for so many years - he has not as often had to draft in the lottery portions of the draft -- so unless he has had to target obvious top talent(Wade) - he has struggled to find those gems later in the draft.

We have to start to think about life after Riley - who is next up? how will that change the culture of this franchise? Will the transition be smooth enough where we have to be rebuilding for too many years? In order to avoid this, he has to do a better job of finding talents in the later portions of the draft where we usually tend to draft - and be willing to take a chance on a youth movement towards the future. Going with this win-now approach may not be a realistic goal forever -- and its not.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Whiteside, my opinion is that day 1 of FA, some team will throw a 5 yr max at him.
We shall see.

Beasley at the minimum is better then the other options that will be out there if u need to fill that many spots.

Yeah, I think Bird and UD should retire after this year. Deng will ask for more money and he's clearly diminishing right now. Amare's going to be a vet. minimum player the rest of his career with those knees and his lack of defense.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see.

I think Ira is far from Anti-Beasley -- far from it. He may not be in favor of the guy being brought back by the Heat - but that didn't start until recently after his most recent stints with the Heat -- Rightly so. As he has said, if Beasley was the answer - why would the Heat not have brought him back to begin with at the end of his stints?

If he is the only guy we can think of to call upon during times like these - it signals a bad sign for the rest of the talent pool available.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, there goes the hope for Dragic returning tomorrow night - at least Udrih is available but still means we see TJ in some capacity tomorrow night.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the plus side, for the McRob haters and skeptics - being upgraded to questionable is a good sign. He is at least now getting close to a return

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think someone offers Whiteside max money..or damn close to it. Whiteside isn't a max guy to me. Someone will pay him. We likely lose him for nothing...which totally sucks.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KoMe Bryant officially named to the West AS team . The system is officially broken

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think someone offers Whiteside max money..or damn close to it. Whiteside isn't a max guy to me. Someone will pay him. We likely lose him for nothing...which totally sucks.
Which is why I'm totally for trading him and getting something back for him. It won't be much, but we can't stand pat with this roster.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ira is far from Anti-Beasley -- far from it. He may not be in favor of the guy being brought back by the Heat - but that didn't start until recently after his most recent stints with the Heat -- Rightly so. As he has said, if Beasley was the answer - why would the Heat not have brought him back to begin with at the end of his stints?

If he is the only guy we can think of to call upon during times like these - it signals a bad sign for the rest of the talent pool available.

Easy answer,
Because Riley thought he'd get better production from McBob, Ennis, Amare, UD and Bird.
He was wrong.
The trio of Amare, Bird and UD never seemed like a very prudent idea because of their age/ chances of injury.
Hell, Basley was drafted 8 years ago to replace UD.
Think about it.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Wade named AS starter

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I'm totally for trading him and getting something back for him. It won't be much, but we can't stand pat with this roster.

So, I ask you this -- what does it say about him as a player and his progression, if in a trade -- if the return " won't be much" as you said? Maybe thats what the Heat should do, shop him around to see what kind of return they would get - then deciding on extending him a contract offer based on that.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy answer,
Because Riley thought he'd get better production from McBob, Ennis, Amare, UD and Bird.
He was wrong.
The trio of Amare, Bird and UD never seemed like a very prudent idea because of their age/ chances of injury.
Hell, Basley was drafted 8 years ago to replace UD.
Think about it.

Agreed. But perspective is key. The answer is easy now given the current circumstances -In the cases of McRob, Amare, UD and Bird - it seems reasonable to have thought they would produce better given their track record.

Does this not signal how imperfect the art of acquiring players and putting a team together really is? Just about every move is made based on potential - its not until the games are played until you see results, or lack of.

Point being - I believe we can still get something out McRob and Amare. UD just doesn't get enough PT even in garbage time or times of dire need of what he brings( rebounds and hustle) And CA was done last season - he's just making his career drag on too long at this point.

When we signed Birdman, his age wasn't as big a factor as it would be for other guys his age given the fact that he had been out of the game for a while - He still had his legs. But he has clearly lost a step or two. So, in his case -- yes, he is done.

The Heat will make a move soon enough - they will more than likely give up on Jarnell Stokes first from what I am reading in order to acquire someone else. We shall see. I still strongly believe that this team is more than capable when healthy. Plus, the expectations from this team going into the season weren't that high to begin with - so anything they give us, after the way things went last season -- should not be taken for granted. To use a Spoism, which I know you and the rest of Heat Nation here loves -- " We have enough" at least to be better than last season.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 114.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, D-Wade the lone Heat representative for the AS game thus far. Reserves to be named by coaches next Thursday I believe -- Hassan and CB better be named or this shit is the joke I always knew it was. Although I am sure you all feel its better if they don't get named so they don't have to play and can get healthy. Rightly so.

Hassan seems to press a lot of times which is why he isn't always as consistent as capable and struggles and I think wanting to make the AS team has been part of the issue -- maybe once it passes he can just focus on playing basketball and not all the talking he has been doing about feeling short-changed by video games etc.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But perspective is key. The answer is easy now given the current circumstances -In the cases of McRob, Amare, UD and Bird - it seems reasonable to have thought they would produce better given their track record.

Does this not signal how imperfect the art of acquiring players and putting a team together really is? Just about every move is made based on potential - its not until the games are played until you see results, or lack of.

Point being - I believe we can still get something out McRob and Amare. UD just doesn't get enough PT even in garbage time or times of dire need of what he brings( rebounds and hustle) And CA was done last season - he's just making his career drag on too long at this point.

When we signed Birdman, his age wasn't as big a factor as it would be for other guys his age given the fact that he had been out of the game for a while - He still had his legs. But he has clearly lost a step or two. So, in his case -- yes, he is done.

The Heat will make a move soon enough - they will more than likely give up on Jarnell Stokes first from what I am reading in order to acquire someone else. We shall see. I still strongly believe that this team is more than capable when healthy. Plus, the expectations from this team going into the season weren't that high to begin with - so anything they give us, after the way things went last season -- should not be taken for granted. To use a Spoism, which I know you and the rest of Heat Nation here loves -- " We have enough" at least to be better than last season.

I agree we all thought that group would produce more, but it is what it is.
And, I'm not talking about Beasley as some quick fix, because he isn't.
I'm talking about a young, athletic body that can be signed for the minimum, and then his play determines if he's coming off the bench or sitting at the end of it.