• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Message Board Braggin' Rights League

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly what we'd be doing. .Monkey and I are currently relegated to B, if there are openings in A, those who were relegated are the first in line to fill them. This has already happened before, not like we're making it up as we're going here.

And Chef, has to understand, that now he is in danger of oblivion... Although, it seems like the oblivion will never actually happen, since we seem to lose owners every year...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Chef, has to understand, that now he is in danger of oblivion... Although, it seems like the oblivion will never actually happen, since we seem to lose owners every year...
I'm sure he's aware. .but much like SP this year, can anyone envision a scenario where Chef wouldn't get voted back in? The dudes a SportsHoopla die hard

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he's aware. .but much like SP this year, can anyone envision a scenario where Chef wouldn't get voted back in? The dudes a SportsHoopla die hard
of course... But I am slightly disappointed in him for relegating himself... I feel like it takes away the whole purpose of these MBBRL rules... If we want 2 separate leagues then we might as well make 2 separate leagues... half the fun is the duo league competition and comparison... and by relegating himself he hurt that whole integrity of the MBBRL... I am sure I am the only one that feels this way... But I think owners should be forced to follow the MBBRL rules, otherwise we are in danger of just having 2 separate leagues, which is fine if that's what we want...

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course... But I am slightly disappointed in him for relegating himself... I feel like it takes away the whole purpose of these MBBRL rules... If we want 2 separate leagues then we might as well make 2 separate leagues... half the fun is the duo league competition and comparison... and by relegating himself he hurt that whole integrity of the MBBRL... I am sure I am the only one that feels this way... But I think owners should be forced to follow the MBBRL rules, otherwise we are in danger of just having 2 separate leagues, which is fine if that's what we want...

1 way to put an end to this would be for the barbarians to beat chef's ass this year. That way he'll know that if he gets another chance to join KOTF, he damn well better take it!

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I can see your point there, definitely. But at the same time, if an owner has won that right, doesn't he have the right to choose? We never envisioned this scenario, so there's no rules in place saying they have to accept the "promotion"..big gray area we never thought about.

My guess is once he gets on and sees there was even a discussion about it, he'll change his mind just to appease everyone anyways. But I'd like to think that choice should be his to make. . Whether I benefit from it or not is a non issue

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I'd like to think that choice should be his to make. . Whether I benefit from it or not is a non issue

I agree here. Just cause you win something, doesn't mean you have to take the prize.

I don't care, one way or the other, both leagues seemed competitive, with almost all 24 owners active and making moves/trying to win. Just mention me in the post when the final decision gets made.

If there was an owner tied or close to being tied with Chef last year that wants his spot, I'll gladly battle with the Barbarians this season.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Color added by me...
Relegation

There are two unusual things about the MBBRL - Relegation, and the B-League Drone. We'll get to the Drone in a later post, but here's the skinny on Relegation:

In normal circumstances, two teams will move up from the B league to the A league and two teams will move down from the A league to the B league. Teams moving down will be determined by power rankings. In the event of a tie, H2H will be the first tiebreaker, breakdown record will be the second tiebreaker, total points the third tiebreaker -- and if we still have a tie, whoever does better in a Fantasy Playoff Challenge to be determined.

The two teams moving up from the B League will go according to these criteria:
1. Champion
2. Regular season breakdown leader
3. Top seed
4. Regular season power rankings leader
5. Regular season points leader

If the B League champion meets all the other criteria, only a single team moves up (and only a single team moves down). Otherwise, the other B League team with the top-most criterion also moves up. (In the unlikely event of a tie, we'll again go to a Fantasy Playoff Challenge as the tiebreaker.)

Relegation is a good rule to keep in place. But just as the "drone" team rule was eventually done away with due to circumstances (league expansion), perhaps relegation can be modified.

If Chef declines to move up, is he really breaking a relegation rule since relegation is for the A league?

That said, one reason Chef may want to stay in the B is because he may envision less "trade-ability" in the A. (Just a hunch.)

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for digging that up, Joe!

One of the big advantages of relegation, that Milk was alluding to, is to play each other. It really is one league, broken into two because FF plays best with 12 teams (or at least that's the standard, so the curious can compare the MBBRL with their own leagues). The original idea was for all the FF yakkers on the message boards to face off against each other - to put our reputation where our mouth is, so to speak.

Two teams have always moved up, and I think that's right. Maybe Chef can surrender his spot, but there's a question of where that vacated A-league spot should go. One possibility is an A-leaguer who would have been relegated, but in the spirit of mixing it up I would prefer the next B-leaguer in line, so two teams move up as usual.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through PM's, Chef has volunteered to remain in B league, opening up a spot for last year's #11 (me), to stay in A.

I would appreciate a public acknowledgement from Chef..not that I think anyone would assume I goaded him into it, but just so everyone knows it's all kosher

Hmm... I'm not sure about being able to trade spots. Relegation does all kinds of good things for the league and I'd hate to mess with it. Maybe a good topic for discussion.

On the other hand, as much as we all love Duff, he was only half an owner last year, and his participation, while great when he's on, has been spotty for a couple of years now. Now that you've been sending him e-mail, it's easy to say that if he doesn't show by August 1 it will be time to set our Fellow Founding Member free... I'm sure he'll understand. He might even be mildly surprised we've held out so long.

Correct me if wrong. The MBBRL (A) was formed from the 'original' 12 back in the CBS days - based primarily on positive & continuous posting activity throughout the year. Over the years, some disappeared and were replaced by endorsement of MBBRL members.
A number of others began active year long participation & wished to in on the fun, so the (B) was formed - again based upon participation & endorsement by the MBBRL. Relegation & oblivion was then put into place in an effort to maintain the original MBBRL (A) as a higher-archy.
The long and short of this is that participation and content on the threads has long been the highest endorsing factor. Both of the those facing relegation have been very active for a very long time. If our friend Chef is willing to concede his spot to one of them, I'd say he truly understands the MBBRL concept.

But then again, it could be that he feels trades are easier there. ... :lol:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for digging that up, Joe!

One of the big advantages of relegation, that Milk was alluding to, is to play each other. It really is one league, broken into two because FF plays best with 12 teams (or at least that's the standard, so the curious can compare the MBBRL with their own leagues). The original idea was for all the FF yakkers on the message boards to face off against each other - to put our reputation where our mouth is, so to speak.

Two teams have always moved up, and I think that's right. Maybe Chef can surrender his spot, but there's a question of where that vacated A-league spot should go. One possibility is an A-leaguer who would have been relegated, but in the spirit of mixing it up I would prefer the next B-leaguer in line, so two teams move up as usual.
Okay, 8 could get behind that, no problems.

But my question would be why is it different this year, when at any time in the past, openings in the A resulted in saving a relegated team? Why would it be different now?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, 8 could get behind that, no problems.

But my question would be why is it different this year, when at any time in the past, openings in the A resulted in saving a relegated team? Why would it be different now?

you are right, but the only difference is the integrity of the idea... if we "save" the relegated owners, then the A-league stays the same and the B-league stays the same... if the reward of winning is no longer a reward, and does not need to be taken then we might as well just make it 2 separate leagues, which is fine if thats what we want to do...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are right, but the only difference is the integrity of the idea... if we "save" the relegated owners, then the A-league stays the same and the B-league stays the same... if the reward of winning is no longer a reward, and does not need to be taken then we might as well just make it 2 separate leagues, which is fine if thats what we want to do...
This little idea of separating the leagues you keep bringing up is nonsense and is only clouding the issue

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This little idea of separating the leagues you keep bringing up is nonsense and is only clouding the issue

no its not... If the reward of the B-league is not taken or is allowed to be declined, then the reward aspect loses its weight, and will never be taken again... having 2 set leagues who don't want to rise or fall makes the whole ONE league aspect moot...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only issues at the table are does someone have the right to turn down a "promotion", and if so, what happens to that spot?
No matter what those answers are, no one is talking about seperating the leagues, and no matter what those answers are, the integrity of the league isn't in danger

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no its not... If the reward of the B-league is not taken or is allowed to be declined, then the reward aspect loses its weight, and will never be taken again... having 2 set leagues who don't want to rise or fall makes the whole ONE league aspect moot...
That's so far of base imho..I'm not even adressing it again

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, how did I miss all these posts? Anyway, I'll boil it down to my two main reasons for discussing this with Treff.

1 - As I've stated on more than one occasion, it was the most fun fantasy league I have ever been a part of.

2 - Ascending to the A-League by way of the Golden Ticket bugs the shit out of for a couple of reasons; I would rather have won the league outright, and I can't help feeling that even the Golden Ticket was tainted by my winning that game early on against a dead team. I went back and researched it, and it looks to me like it wouldn't have made a difference, but it bugs me just the same.

I'm probably taking this a bit too seriously, but that's just me. If there is a problem (and I do see where Milk is coming from), then I'm good with keeping the status quo. I mean, I'll win the A-League anyway, so...;)

And yes Joe, I have thought about that as well. However, as long as my boys TKO and Barilko are around, that shouldn't be a problem. :)

So you guys decide; @TREFF , my offer is publicly made official.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, how did I miss all these posts? Anyway, I'll boil it down to my two main reasons for discussing this with Treff.

1 - As I've stated on more than one occasion, it was the most fun fantasy league I have ever been a part of.

2 - Ascending to the A-League by way of the Golden Ticket bugs the shit out of for a couple of reasons; I would rather have won the league outright, and I can't help feeling that even the Golden Ticket was tainted by my winning that game early on against a dead team. I went back and researched it, and it looks to me like it wouldn't have made a difference, but it bugs me just the same.

I'm probably taking this a bit too seriously, but that's just me. If there is a problem (and I do see where Milk is coming from), then I'm good with keeping the status quo. I mean, I'll win the A-League anyway, so...;)

And yes Joe, I have thought about that as well. However, as long as my boys TKO and Barilko are around, that shouldn't be a problem. :)

So you guys decide; @TREFF , my offer is publicly made official.

Appreciated Chef.

Never in a million would I have thought anyone would have an issue with this.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't care either way what happens... I just think it is a slippery slope, I agree that the B-league was a lot of fun last season... and i would love to stay with that group of guys who i have a better relationship than with some in the A-league... But if we want the ONE league then we must follow the rules otherwise nobody will ever want to change...

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first year of relegation was also the last year of CBS. Ram and Tlance made it through and moved up - but some guys got to stay who would have left because Dawg didn't make the life raft and DUB retired.

The second year Scape and I left, so even after Bandit and Barilko moved up everybody left could still stay.

We haven't had an "I don't want to move up" issue before, but I'd like to see two teams move up every year. If Duff doesn't make it back, that would open up an additional slot.

And Chef... breakdown record is the best measure of a team's quality - everybody's scores count. Honestly, it's a better measure than a championship. There's no way to win that on the cheap, with an average team with a couple of lucky weeks. You have to be solid all year long.