• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melvin Gordon

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your right i didnt, and you said take a step back, i tried to clarify the comment, u forgot who we were talkking about.......:suds:

Hey maybe actually specify what you are trying to clarify next time buddy.

I said a lot of things on my post then you reply with:

"he was very good when not hurt. And they very much said he's their guy. Not sure where ur getting this."

Cant read minds, especially one as dimwitted as yours.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB is much easier to fill in the draft. Detroit doesn’t need to spend a high draft choice to get production.

Detroit already has Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay, TJ Hockenson, Kerryon Johnson — so spending big money on a RB isn’t necessary.

We need a pass rusher, we need a LB who can drop in coverage, we need a CB to pair with Slay (as long as we don’t trade him), we need a safety to pair with Walker and we need at least one disruptive DT.

And while defense is his ‘expertise’ — Detroit was one of the worst defensive teams in the league

Thing si the Lions haven't been able to draft anyone really worthwhile at RB. They have a bunch of guys right now and none of them really that special. I just went through trying to find the last time the Lions ranked in the top half of the league for rushing offense. I got all the way down to 2004 before I gave up looking any further. Not once in that span did they rank in the top half as an offense for rushing. Many times they ranked dead last. That is miserable. It is an organizational failure for the Lions to draft RBs.

I understand you have a lot of holes on your team but getting Gordon for around $8M would help Stafford, he'd help your offense and as a result he would also help your defense by keeping it off of the field.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing si the Lions haven't been able to draft anyone really worthwhile at RB. They have a bunch of guys right now and none of them really that special. I just went through trying to find the last time the Lions ranked in the top half of the league for rushing offense. I got all the way down to 2004 before I gave up looking any further. Not once in that span did they rank in the top half as an offense for rushing. Many times they ranked dead last. That is miserable. It is an organizational failure for the Lions to draft RBs.

I understand you have a lot of holes on your team but getting Gordon for around $8M would help Stafford, he'd help your offense and as a result he would also help your defense by keeping it off of the field.

The reason you won’t find the Lions in the top half of rushing yards is — we’ve been a team who throws the ball more than most and when we you in a defense that struggles — we are behind in games and have to abandon the run almost altogether.

It isn’t as if Detroit hasn’t tried to draft a RB. They took Jahvid Best in the 1st round and he looked great until concussions knocked him out of the league. We took Mikel LeShoure and he scored 9 tds his first year and then tore his Achilles and was never the same after. We took Kerryon Johnson and when he has played, he has been great, but he has missed a years worth of games in just two years of playing.

Spending a ton of money on a RB is pointless in today’s NFL. It is a pass first league now. The days of a bell cow RB getting 25+ carries is almost dead now. Gordon has the same skill set as Kerryon Johnson and K.J. will only make $1.5 million next year. Detroit can get a RB to grind out yards in the draft and could use the money elsewhere to upgrade the defense.

To me, Gordon is still living off his hype coming out of college. He averages less than 4 YPC on his career and only has one year he has run for 1,000 yards. Not worth $8 million to me. Gordon should go to a team who is missing that one piece and adding him will make them a playoff team. Adding Gordon isn’t going to do that for Detroit.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason you won’t find the Lions in the top half of rushing yards is — we’ve been a team who throws the ball more than most and when we you in a defense that struggles — we are behind in games and have to abandon the run almost altogether.

It isn’t as if Detroit hasn’t tried to draft a RB. They took Jahvid Best in the 1st round and he looked great until concussions knocked him out of the league. We took Mikel LeShoure and he scored 9 tds his first year and then tore his Achilles and was never the same after. We took Kerryon Johnson and when he has played, he has been great, but he has missed a years worth of games in just two years of playing.

Spending a ton of money on a RB is pointless in today’s NFL. It is a pass first league now. The days of a bell cow RB getting 25+ carries is almost dead now. Gordon has the same skill set as Kerryon Johnson and K.J. will only make $1.5 million next year. Detroit can get a RB to grind out yards in the draft and could use the money elsewhere to upgrade the defense.

To me, Gordon is still living off his hype coming out of college. He averages less than 4 YPC on his career and only has one year he has run for 1,000 yards. Not worth $8 million to me. Gordon should go to a team who is missing that one piece and adding him will make them a playoff team. Adding Gordon isn’t going to do that for Detroit.

I'm not saying they haven't tried to draft a RB, they just as an organization are incompetent at Scouting, drafting and developing RBs. Similar to how the Eagles are with WRs, CBs and Safetys. You don't need a guy who you pound it 25+ times a game but have someone who cna do everything you need and depend on him for it. Rushing, catching, blocking. He has 47 TDs in 67 career games. There is a definite value he can add to a team like Detroit.

And it is a passing league no doubt, but it's the teams that effectively run the ball and commit to it that are the ones who have the most consistent success in this league.

The recent Chiefs were an outlier but they can afford to do so

Annnnd my work just closed mid post due to coronavirus. I will resume this post later. Gotta go home now.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey maybe actually specify what you are trying to clarify next time buddy.

I said a lot of things on my post then you reply with:

"he was very good when not hurt. And they very much said he's their guy. Not sure where ur getting this."

Cant read minds, especially one as dimwitted as yours.
im not sure how much simpler "you said he regressed" can be...your post was in reference to kerryon, i didnt think it was hard to connect the dots. Yet im dimwitted:rolleyes2:

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying they haven't tried to draft a RB, they just as an organization are incompetent at Scouting, drafting and developing RBs. Similar to how the Eagles are with WRs, CBs and Safetys. You don't need a guy who you pound it 25+ times a game but have someone who cna do everything you need and depend on him for it. Rushing, catching, blocking. He has 47 TDs in 67 career games. There is a definite value he can add to a team like Detroit.

And it is a passing league no doubt, but it's the teams that effectively run the ball and commit to it that are the ones who have the most consistent success in this league.

Annnnd my work just closed mid post due to coronavirus. I will resume this post later. Gotta go home now.

Alright as I was saying, Chiefs have been a rare outlier but that is because they have superhuman Mahomes as their QB so they were able to afford to win a championship without a top 10 ranked rushing offense.

Let's look back at the past SB participants:

49ers (3) vs Chiefs (23)
Rams (3) vs Patriots (5)
Eagles (3) vs Patriots (10)
Falcons (5) vs Patriots (7)
Panthers (2) vs Broncos (17)
Seahawks (1) vs Patriots (18)

Admittedly it does start to develop at around this time that only one of the SB teams are int he top 10 but its clear that the league has been trending back towards rushing these past few years and if you extend this further to teams in the postseason it still skews heavily towards team that can and do run the ball.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not sure how much simpler "you said he regressed" can be...your post was in reference to kerryon, i didnt think it was hard to connect the dots. Yet im dimwitted:rolleyes2:

Yeah you said a statement "You said he regressed"

Maybe head back to school and learn how to form a sentence that is question.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who names their kid Melvin?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Detroit’s current front office and current coaching staff have only spent two draft picks on a RB. It was Kerryon Johnson two years ago and Ty Johnson this past year. Both have been quality picks, both have averaged over 4 YPC and both can catch the ball out of the backfield.
Injuries with Kerryon has hurt us, but guys like Ty Johnson tell you how much value you can get with later round RB draft pick.
Spending 8 million on a RB who will split carries with 2 or 3 other RB’s is throwing money away.
Only way I’d ever spend that type of money on a RB is if he were on the field all game and carrying the ball 20+ times a game too.
Scoring TD’s is nice, but if the scores are coming from the goal line — it doesn’t mean a whole lot. I stated LeShoure had 9 td’s his rookie year — 8 of them were from the 1 yard line.

WAAAAAAY too many holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball to be spending that type of money on a RB. No ty.

That being said — the Lions always seem to do the opposite of what I want, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them sign Gordon to a 6 year 90 million dollar deal all guaranteed, because they are.........the Lions.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you said a statement "You said he regressed"

Maybe head back to school and learn how to form a sentence that is question.
Ahhhh the captain grammar argument on a message board. The ol' classic.

also in that statement, you still couldn't figure it out, or connect the dots.....

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhhh the captain grammar argument on a message board. The ol' classic.

also in that statement, you still couldn't figure it out, or connect the dots.....

Yeah because I was wondering what the hell your point was.

You responded to my post saying nothing but:

"You said he regressed."

And expect me to interpret that as some sort of question.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah because I was wondering what the hell your point was.

You responded to my post saying nothing but:

"You said he regressed."

And expect me to interpret that as some sort of question.
Yes we were having a conversation, you said he regressed, i said he was actually very good when he wasnt hurt. You then proceeded to tell me about his injuries, so i stated that you said he regressed prior......Regardless.
ok.:suds:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright as I was saying, Chiefs have been a rare outlier but that is because they have superhuman Mahomes as their QB so they were able to afford to win a championship without a top 10 ranked rushing offense.

Let's look back at the past SB participants:

49ers (3) vs Chiefs (23)
Rams (3) vs Patriots (5)
Eagles (3) vs Patriots (10)
Falcons (5) vs Patriots (7)
Panthers (2) vs Broncos (17)
Seahawks (1) vs Patriots (18)

Admittedly it does start to develop at around this time that only one of the SB teams are int he top 10 but its clear that the league has been trending back towards rushing these past few years and if you extend this further to teams in the postseason it still skews heavily towards team that can and do run the ball.

Which one of those teams have a high priced RB? The Rams gave Gurley an extension and then barely used him.

SF had 3 RB’s and none of them rushed for 800 yards. The Pats has different RB’s for all different roles.

The days of paying big money for a RB are pretty much done, unless you get one of the few who can take over a game and never leave the field.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which one of those teams have a high priced RB? The Rams gave Gurley an extension and then barely used him.

SF had 3 RB’s and none of them rushed for 800 yards. The Pats has different RB’s for all different roles.

The days of paying big money for a RB are pretty much done, unless you get one of the few who can take over a game and never leave the field.

You'd be correct if Gordon was going to get a contract in the ballpark of Elliott, Gurley or Bell. But I don't think, and it is purely assumption on my part, that the market is there for him and he can be had for around $8M a year which isn't breaking the bank on a RB but giving you a player you can have on the field most of the game and have 20+ touches (rushes/rec) a game. To add that element to an offense that hasn't had it in decades would in my opinion be a huge help. Stafford's career has almost been wasted in the sense that he has never had reliable running game to assist him on offense. I think Gordon would fix that for them.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got the gordon love, The guy has been tops in yards and such......but due to volume. in 2018 he had a very nice year and 5.1 Y/A. Otherwise the guy has been pretty bad on a per carry basis and advanced metrics

upload_2020-3-10_11-47-42.png

touch the ball enough and get all the redzone work, and get 60+ targets a year, your gonna get some numbers, no matter how bad you suck

Melvin's parents...…….Duh!
zing pow!

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got the gordon love, The guy has been tops in yards and such......but due to volume. in 2018 he had a very nice year and 5.1 Y/A. Otherwise the guy has been pretty bad on a per carry basis and advanced metrics

View attachment 234679

touch the ball enough and get all the redzone work, and get 60+ targets a year, your gonna get some numbers, no matter how bad you suck

zing pow!

Chargers have had one of the worst offensive lines for the past decade.

PFF: Chargers had one of NFL’s worst offensive lines

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers have had one of the worst offensive lines for the past decade.

PFF: Chargers had one of NFL’s worst offensive lines
again, i get that, and lines help.........they help alot, see derrick henry and lev bell........

But ekeler did better..........

the year before gordon, mathews was avg 4.5 y/a before injury, 4.4 the year before that, 2012 he sucked at 3.8 but ronnie brown was churning lol. 2011 4.9 y/a for ryan mathews. 2010 the trio of tolber, mathews, sproles all had over 4 y/a at 4.0, 4.3, 5.3 respectively, then the tail end of LT and sproles in 2009. I guess what im saying is the number wasnt really dropping below 4, until gordon came, regardless of that shit line.

Its the same argument i have with ballage and the dolphins. The dolphins line was horrid, just horrid. No one was going to be good there. But Ballage was extra bad, historically bad.
Mark walton avg 3.8
Kenyan Drake 3.7
Gaskins 3.7
Patrick Laird 2.7 yuck
Ballage 1.8

Yes they all sucked, yes we saw drake bust out in zona. I get it. But one is not like the other there......

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t as if the Lions have a good OL. We also just announced we aren’t resigning our OG, which means it is another spot on the team we have to upgrade.

Actually have a pretty decently ranked run blocking offensive line.