• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melvin Gordon

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd be correct if Gordon was going to get a contract in the ballpark of Elliott, Gurley or Bell. But I don't think, and it is purely assumption on my part, that the market is there for him and he can be had for around $8M a year which isn't breaking the bank on a RB but giving you a player you can have on the field most of the game and have 20+ touches (rushes/rec) a game. To add that element to an offense that hasn't had it in decades would in my opinion be a huge help. Stafford's career has almost been wasted in the sense that he has never had reliable running game to assist him on offense. I think Gordon would fix that for them.

What am I missing that you see in Gordon? The guy averages less YPC than the guys on the Lions and Detroit definitely doesn’t have a good OL.

You say it’d give Detroit a guy who can average 20 touches a game, but he has only done that once in his career.
To me — Gordon is just a more expensive version of Kerryon Johnson.

We shall see. If Detroit is going to splurge. I hope it is Cory Littleton. We need a coverage LB.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What am I missing that you see in Gordon? The guy averages less YPC than the guys on the Lions and Detroit definitely doesn’t have a good OL.

You say it’d give Detroit a guy who can average 20 touches a game, but he has only done that once in his career.

We shall see. If Detroit is going to splurge. I hope it is Cory Littleton. We need a coverage LB.
The box score, and draft position.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I count 32 times he has had at least 20 touches in a game. Kerryon Johnson can't stay healthy. Gordon hasn't had the best luck with injuries either but he has been able to stay on the field at a far better rate than Johnson.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I count 32 times he has had at least 20 touches in a game. Kerryon Johnson can't stay healthy. Gordon hasn't had the best luck with injuries either but he has been able to stay on the field at a far better rate than Johnson.
Kerryon is still young. Last year, Detroit basically held him out because our season was done once Stafford was deemed out for the year.
I think Gordon is a good player, but he is a luxury signing for a team who is missing that one piece.
Detroit isn’t that team. But as I said, with the way Detroit handles business, we may sign Gordon and then draft a RB #3 overall. (Kind of like how spent like $7 million a year for Jesse James and then draft TJ Hockenson 8th overall last year).

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerryon is still young. Last year, Detroit basically held him out because our season was done once Stafford was deemed out for the year.
I think Gordon is a good player, but he is a luxury signing for a team who is missing that one piece.
Detroit isn’t that team. But as I said, with the way Detroit handles business, we may sign Gordon and then draft a RB #3 overall. (Kind of like how spent like $7 million a year for Jesse James and then draft TJ Hockenson 8th overall last year).
Gordon's 20 touch a game stuff was largely 3 years ago. He had 5 games with 20 touches in 2018, and 4 in 2019. You also don't pay a premium for durability. Go sign gore for bare minimum if that's whT u want. The YPC were similar anyways

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon's 20 touch a game stuff was largely 3 years ago. He had 5 games with 20 touches in 2018, and 4 in 2019. You also don't pay a premium for durability. Go sign gore for bare minimum if that's whT u want. The YPC were similar anyways

It’d be dumb to spend the kind of money Gordon will want for the role he’d have on the team.
It wouldn’t be the first or the last dumb move Detroit has made since I’ve been a fan if they did sign him.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We aren't going to agree so I'll end it here but I don't agree that it would be a luxury signing for Detroit. I see it as a need for them with how they have neglected to give Stafford a running game during the course of his entire career in Detroit. I think Gordon in Detroit is a perfect match for both and it would benefit Stafford and Detroit a lot if they were able to get him in there on a reasonable contract (around $8M per year).

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't going to agree so I'll end it here but I don't agree that it would be a luxury signing for Detroit. I see it as a need for them with how they have neglected to give Stafford a running game during the course of his entire career in Detroit. I think Gordon in Detroit is a perfect match for both and it would benefit Stafford and Detroit a lot if they were able to get him in there on a reasonable contract (around $8M per year).

There are exactly 5 RB’s in the NFL making $8 million a year. A team with one of the worst defenses in the league should never spend that much on a guy who won’t be a bell cow RB.

On top of that — we have a QB being paid $27 million and will have to give a Monster contract to keep Golladay

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they haven't tried to draft a RB, they just as an organization are incompetent at Scouting, drafting and developing RBs. Similar to how the Eagles are with WRs, CBs and Safetys. You don't need a guy who you pound it 25+ times a game but have someone who cna do everything you need and depend on him for it. Rushing, catching, blocking. He has 47 TDs in 67 career games. There is a definite value he can add to a team like Detroit.

And it is a passing league no doubt, but it's the teams that effectively run the ball and commit to it that are the ones who have the most consistent success in this league.

The recent Chiefs were an outlier but they can afford to do so

Annnnd my work just closed mid post due to coronavirus. I will resume this post later. Gotta go home now.

Yes it's a passing league. The difference with a team like Detroit is they play a lot of catch up ball. So they are even more pass happy. Not a bad thing as Stafford can sling it. It's too bad Detroit just can't seem to get over the hump.

I'm in the you don't need a great RB camp.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it's a passing league. The difference with a team like Detroit is they play a lot of catch up ball. So they are even more pass happy. Not a bad thing as Stafford can sling it. It's too bad Detroit just can't seem to get over the hump.

Detroit needs to add depth at RB, not overpay in FA for a guy like Gordon. If a RB like Taylor, Dobbins or the kid from Georgia falls into the 2nd round — I can see Detroit using a pick on them.

Detroit is almost guaranteed to be trading out of the 3 spot in the draft, most likely with the Dolphins. Bare minimum, they will get the 38th or 39th pick in the 2nd from Miami, giving them 3 picks in the top 40. I’d much rather they spend a 2nd round pick than $8 million on Gordon.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you need a great RB. You need a running game. Lions have never had one with Stafford, Gordon would give them that.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you need a great RB. You need a running game. Lions have never had one with Stafford, Gordon would give them that.

They've had decent backs most recently Kerryon.

Naturally adding a top tier player at any position can increase that areas performance.

In the case of Gordon he's not a typical three down back. So unless the Lions chose to run more and not fall behind even a Gordon type back may not help the entire run game. Then you factor in the potential cost for Gordon and you have to ask yourself if he's the potential fix?

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit needs to add depth at RB, not overpay in FA for a guy like Gordon. If a RB like Taylor, Dobbins or the kid from Georgia falls into the 2nd round — I can see Detroit using a pick on them.

Detroit is almost guaranteed to be trading out of the 3 spot in the draft, most likely with the Dolphins. Bare minimum, they will get the 38th or 39th pick in the 2nd from Miami, giving them 3 picks in the top 40. I’d much rather they spend a 2nd round pick than $8 million on Gordon.

Trading back would be fantastic and i'd love to beef up the backfield trying to copy the NE model 4 or 5 diverse backs(NE consistently has one of the highest RB payrolls in the league). Keep Kerryon, keep Ty, cut Scarborough(He was the only RB in the NFL with fewer broken tackles per touch than Ballage :L not good for a guy thats supposed to be our power back). Look to add a power back (maybe Howard, Gore, Moss, or Vaughn) and a pass catcher (Gio, Thompson, Edwards-Helaire, Akers, or Gibson). Keep them cheap no more than 5 million per for a FA and no earlier than a 3rd in the draft.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be the waiting game when he comes down on his asking price and is Mia willing to wait it out. He held out last year for a raise so my guess is he may be looking in that 12-15mil range to start.
I can see them kicking the tires but there are other FA RB's out there so there are other options. Worst case they draft one and they may end up doing that either way.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, i get that, and lines help.........they help alot, see derrick henry and lev bell........

But ekeler did better..........

the year before gordon, mathews was avg 4.5 y/a before injury, 4.4 the year before that, 2012 he sucked at 3.8 but ronnie brown was churning lol. 2011 4.9 y/a for ryan mathews. 2010 the trio of tolber, mathews, sproles all had over 4 y/a at 4.0, 4.3, 5.3 respectively, then the tail end of LT and sproles in 2009. I guess what im saying is the number wasnt really dropping below 4, until gordon came, regardless of that shit line.

Its the same argument i have with ballage and the dolphins. The dolphins line was horrid, just horrid. No one was going to be good there. But Ballage was extra bad, historically bad.
Mark walton avg 3.8
Kenyan Drake 3.7
Gaskins 3.7
Patrick Laird 2.7 yuck
Ballage 1.8

Yes they all sucked, yes we saw drake bust out in zona. I get it. But one is not like the other there......
Ballage is a big back more of a straight line runner and he kept running into walls. When he tried to bounce off it was already over and lack of experience didn't help. Guys at the top of your list are smaller shifty players who were better at bouncing off but still were ineffective due to the poor line. Believe me I watched every second of every game saw it all happen but if you fail to believe then so be it. Stats don't always explain everything. I'm pretty confident Henry wouldn't have done too much better behind that line and he's an experienced all pro.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i don think henry is alll that so bad example.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i don think henry is alll that so bad example.
Really doesn't matter as he produced behind a decent line. There are only a few RB's that can get away with bad line one being Barry Sanders. If your standards are that high god help you. Bell is another example of going to a bad line and he became average. Same player different line different results. Ballage may not make it but until I see him in a better scenario I refuse to write people off.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really doesn't matter as he produced behind a decent line. There are only a few RB's that can get away with bad line one being Barry Sanders. If your standards are that high god help you. Bell is another example of going to a bad line and he became average. Same player different line different results. Ballage may not make it but until I see him in a better scenario I refuse to write people off.
Should call up David Carr. Never had it good.still hope, u need a qb.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic you. I'm still laughing at you.
Calling me an idiot and asking if I comprehend. Have you seen anywhere me claiming he's good or bad?

You're on full tilt Skippy.

Take a break you're WAY out of your league here.

FFFs response to this was a face palm:pound:
What a clown. Yet he wonders why no one takes him seriously:scratch: