• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melvin Gordon on verge of signing with Denver

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument of “don’t pay for a RB when you can draft one“ works great if you could actually draft a RB, which to be honest the Broncos haven’t really shown that they can. I mean who was the last drafted runningback by the Broncos that people would consider a good selection that worked out?

Apparently not Royce Freeman, not Devontae Booker, not Monte Ball. Maybe you can go back and say Knowshon Moreno because had a good Rookie year but was he really that good or was it because of Peyton Manning that he looked better?

Denver really doesn’t have a history of drafting running backs that really work out so at least we know how good Gordon is, or was two years ago, which is more than we could say for a running back that we take another gamble on but is unknown.

Don't we all miss the day when we could draft any ole RB off the block and turn them into a 1,000 yard runner?

Terrell Davis
Olandis Gary
Mike Anderson
Reuben Droughns (not drafted)

Makes Curtis Alexander and Chris Howard feel bad (Anyone else remember these two?) Drafted in that area, but never hacked it.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon also had the benefit of a top 10 QB. Lindsay only saw one of those play for the Broncos on TV.

Lock could be that type of guy but it will take time.

We will have a good idea after this year unless one of the gets hurt.

Gordon was also on a pretty poor Chargers OL. Gordon can catch, he has good vision, balance and explosion. He has been good near the goal line. Rivers didn't gift him those things with his magic wand. The complimented each other, just like Terrell Davis added something to John Elway that he never had. Not saying Gordon is a missing piece to a Super Bowl or anything like that. Every good player makes the players around him better. That is what makes a good team.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills offered Melvin Gordon more money than the Broncos did... This is my kind of Bronco!

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Rivers complemented Gordon, but Lindsay hasn’t really had a compliment. The Oline can only do so much if there is 8 or 9 in the box. It can be easier to run the ball if the defense is most worried about the pass. The Chargers really lacked balance at times.

The argument that good players make the players around them better didn’t seem to hold true last year when Gordon returned the Chargers struggled more. That may have been more due to coaching, but Ekeler out played Gordon last year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Lindsay hasn't had a good compliment. (Hopefully we wont have to say that after this year)

I feel like a lot of people are making this a Lindsay vs Gordon thing. Like Denver is looking down on Lindsay since they signed Gordon.

I don't look at it like that at all.

Denver wanted a RB with some size who can catch the ball and make people miss in the open field.

He is a way different RB then Lindsay. They will combo up and make us a much better team and a threat on the ground game which is what Fangio wanted to bring to Denver.

Denver had also spoke to the Cardinals about David Johnson. Pretty clear we were looking for another back next to Lindsay who could do the things Lindsay could't do... Just like Linsdsay can do things Gordon can't do. Don't look at this as a bad thing for Lindsay. It is a great thing.. You don't want him carry the ball 20 times a game... It's reallya bad thing for Freeman if anything. Not for Lindsay.

Gordon and Lindsay are going to make each other better.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not given up on Freeman. And he is part of the reason that I was wanting to draft the RB depth. The truth is that with Lock we are probably another year away before we are really ready to play with the top teams on offense. When we play the Chiefs the Defense will have to play a very good game to have a chance.

If the offense is going to take a step I think we need a vet WR to be opposite of Sutton. Breshad Perriman would be a great fit IMO.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't given up on Freeman either. He doesn't appear high on Denver's radar however after this move. Perriman doesn't do a lot for me. Had been a pretty big bust up until last year and even at that pretty inconsistent. Finished the season great though.

I really want Lamb, Ruggs or Jeudy.

But a vet WR wouldn't hurt either. Add a rookie and a vet. Perriman would be ok at this point on the right dolla. Just not as excited about him as many are.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Gordon is also a sign that John Elway thinks he can be a playoff team with Drew Lock. The Broncos don't have to pay QBs anything near the league avg cost - so they can afford a guy like Gordon. Also - Lindsey has already been on notice that he has to up his pass receiving game and has been working on it. Lindsey may get 15 touches - with 5 being short passes - while Gordon will get 20 carries and 5-7 passes a game. If Lock can hit Lindsay and Gordon in stride during plays - everything works.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Open up things for Sutton and Fant. Blow Ruggs or Lamb over the top! Boom!

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping for Ruggs right now. We will see what happens when the draft comes around. As wild as free agency has been the draft might be even more wild.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I see us going RB this year... I am pretty comfortable at this point with our top 3. We do have a lot of picks, but you know Elway will trade half those day 3 picks away. (Seems he no longer values late round picks)

I guess my thought on drafting a RB or not was more of a "Don't bother with a RB in FA and address it in the draft, or address it in FA", lots of good RB's in the draft every year, but you can also be sure you know what you're getting when you sign a free agent like Melvin Gordon. I don't know if I like needing a RB in the rd 2-4 range or not. Later on in the draft it is an anything goes. BPA... Really the entire draft is BPA but you're still trying to fill spots of need with BPA and equal the two out. Just not sure if needing a RB is a good or bad thing early in the draft. It's fun, but at the same time having proven quality RB's on your roster where you don't have to take a RB early is a nice feeling too. I'd rather be in that boat of a RB as a bonus in the draft moreso then a big need.

One thing to think about which I had forgotten until just recently; we won't be using a FB on the roster. We'll have a Tight End playing H-Back instead. Otherwise we wouldn't have traded Jano away. We might use the situation to hold on to our big floppy injured TE body bank but we might also use the situation to pare it down to what the new OC knows will work. So I'm thinking there's a good chance we'll have four RB's on the 53 man roster this year. This is perfect timing for the Broncos to spend a later pick on a RB that shows promise. I'm thinking 4th round or later because there should be more impactful selections than RB for us in the first three rounds.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the FB roster spot will be filled by another WR. Remember he likes to use many 3 WR formations so our WR depth will need to be better then it has been in some years.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Beck is gonna play a much bigger role this year too.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Beck is gonna play a much bigger role this year too.

I think he his going to grow into a key player in this offense. I really grew to like him as a player last year

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chicago White Sox Baby! The only Sox who are currently relevant. I hear the Red Sox had a blowout Sale.