• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew is about to do something real crazy.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Mayhew is concerned with Clowney's work ethic, speeding 110 mph on a South Carolina freeway (Fairley 100 mph on I-10 in mobile, Fairley out of shape doesn't make working out a priority in his life). Clowney was completely gassed in his 1st 3 games played last season. We already have a red-flagged player on defense regarding work ethic, maturity issues

Maybe Mayhew sees Mack as being 2009 Drafts #4 overall selection (graded a 97, Stafford graded a 96) Aaron Curry.. You and I may see Mack or Clowney as something totally different than what Mayhew, Xanders, Cunningham and the scouting department sees.

Me personally, I don't want to trade away any picks to move up in the first two rounds. 3rd round, say their Center is still available or a wr if they haven't taken one in the first two rounds, then I might not mind depending on what other players are available

Yeah -- I completely agree. That is why I said, none of us really know what the Lions plans are or how they really feel about a player.

Something stinks though with the whole Sammy Watkins thing blowing up -- if the Lions were that interested in the guy, it seems as if they wouldn't show their hand and drive up the price to move up to grab him.

At the same time -- if they weren't extremely interested in him and it is a smoke screen -- it is a really elaborate smoke screen.:laugh3:

I also agree with the comments about Mack and Clowney, but at the same time, we could say the same thing about Watkins, as he was busted with marijuana and adderall, and could turn into the next Charles Rogers.

That is what makes this thread interesting, trying to figure out what the front office is doing, even if it is useless, as the only people who know what the Lions are going to do are the Lions front office.

I also agree with your thoughts about the 1st two rounds and not trading away the picks and if a player in the 3rd is there that they covet, they have 3 in the 4th round they could use to get the guy they want.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Topical mock.

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Lions land Sammy Watkins in big trade - CBSSports.com

I was looking at that today. They are basically saying, for the Lions to trade up to get Watkins, it would take the #10 and #45 pick. So after drafting Watkins -- Detroit wouldn't have a pick until #76, I believe.

I may throw up a little bit if the Lions make a deal like that for a WR.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustMe... Compensation picks CANNOT be traded....

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking at that today. They are basically saying, for the Lions to trade up to get Watkins, it would take the #10 and #45 pick. So after drafting Watkins -- Detroit wouldn't have a pick until #76, I believe.

I may throw up a little bit if the Lions make a deal like that for a WR.

No you wouldn't when Watkins becomes the Lions #1WR in his rookie year like he did at Clemson... JK:noidea:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things here:

I was reading an article yesterday that had a few interesting tidbits. The writer, who claims to have reliable NFL sources, said that Schwartz was the one that really wanted to be as tight-lipped as possible when it came to what the teams plans where. Obviously, Mayhew has showcased this type of behavior in the past too. What made the article more interesting is when he states that most teams change their approach from year to year-its never the same.

We maybe we can apply that idea here to why the Lions have been so open with their interest in Watkins. Maybe they feel like the chances of them finding a partner to move up with increases if all of the teams know about it. Its a strategy that may make teams from the top five call the Lions to work something out, pre-draft. This also helps the Lions get a clear picture if they will be able to get him or not and what the asking price will be.

Being quiet isn't always the best way. I think they did that when they tried to get Peterson and Arizona said no. Maybe something else wouldve worked better.

How can you really hide it anyway if there is tons of interest and you want to really know this kid?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would be ok if the Lions traded their 1st and 2nd. A 3rd and three 4th rounders would be ok to me.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LionStop... I too read that article or one extremely similar a couple weeks ago regarding changing up strategy from year to year so as other teams cannot get a consistent line on what your plans are in the draft.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We maybe we can apply that idea here to why the Lions have been so open with their interest in Watkins. Maybe they feel like the chances of them finding a partner to move up with increases if all of the teams know about it. Its a strategy that may make teams from the top five call the Lions to work something out, pre-draft. This also helps the Lions get a clear picture if they will be able to get him or not and what the asking price will be.

I agree to a certain extent. The only issue would be if a team like Oakland, Tampa, or Buffalo -- all teams with a higher pick than Detroit and needs at WR decide they want Watkins and offer the same package as the Lions -- say a 1st and a 2nd. STL would take any of those offers over the Lions.

By making it public -- STL can basically ransom off the pick to the highest bidder and any team who picks ahead of Detroit, who really wants Watkins can offer a deal better than we could based on where they pick in the 1st round.

That is really the only reason I think something is fishy about all the attention being given to Watkins. Detroit could have scheduled the visit for Watkins without making a big deal about it, as they have brought in a bunch of guys.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you really hide it anyway if there is tons of interest and you want to really know this kid?

I'm guessing that is why the NFL allows every team to bring in up to 30 players for pre-draft visits, so you can bring in pretty much anyone and everyone you are interested in to try and hide who you really want to pick. This is just a guess though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those teams would already have plans to move up for him anyway. They wont just jump because they think the Lions are. Its still a good way for the Lions to gauge what the market for him is and they are up against. What you want is for teams to tell you their asking price and then you go to set up something close and present the goods when the time comes.

Im sure they probably know what it will take by now.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont think they would be doing all this if they didn't see a window of opportunity.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can find good WRs outside of the first round but you cant find a Watkins in every draft.

I can make the same argument about good LTs. Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan compare well with the group from last year. I am not advocating a LT or WR as I think defense first but my point is a LT makes as much sense as a WR for the Lions in the position they are in.

I would not bitch about Watkins as he is a possibly a great player I just see what they did in the 2nd and third last year and think those picks are more important than potential.

I am not a fan of Mayhew and believe that Junior put him on notice when they hired Caldwell but after last years draft and UDFA pickups he deserves the benefit of the doubt for this draft. That may be the Xander effect but regardless as the man in charge he gets the credit.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUOTE=jdwills126;4778505]You can find good WRs outside of the first round but you cant find a Watkins in every draft.

I can make the same argument about good LTs. Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan compare well with the group from last year. I am not advocating a LT or WR as I think defense first but my point is a LT makes as much sense as a WR for the Lions in the position they are in.

I would not bitch about Watkins as he is a possibly a great player I just see what they did in the 2nd and third last year and think those picks are more important than potential.

I am not a fan of Mayhew and believe that Junior put him on notice when they hired Caldwell but after last years draft and UDFA pickups he deserves the benefit of the doubt for this draft. That may be the Xander effect but regardless as the man in charge he gets the credit.[/QUOTE]

I would like to hear your argument about how adding an additional O-lineman is the same as adding a 3rd WR. I don't agree at all but maybe I can be persuaded.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Everyone can make an argument for something, but you have to make sure you cover all the bases. I keep saying that fans should stop looking at Watkins as a 3rd WR and consider him an elite prospect who would be tremendous pick up for the future.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Everyone can make an argument for something, but you have to make sure you cover all the bases. I keep saying that fans should stop looking at Watkins as a 3rd WR and consider him an elite prospect who would be tremendous pick up for the future.

I view a 3rd WR as more important than a backup O-lineman anyways... Todays game, A 3rd WR is more of a starter anyways.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I view a 3rd WR as more important than a backup O-lineman anyways... Todays game, A 3rd WR is more of a starter anyways.

I'm going out on a limb and saying, IF detroit drafts an offensive lineman, whether it be Robinson, Mathews or Lewan -- they will be immediate starters on the OL.

Mathews or Lewan would probably take over at LT and Reiff moved to RT, as Reiff is very good at run blocking. Robinson is the best run blocker in the draft and while Waddle was solid last year -- Robinson would be a big upgrade at RT and help the run game immediately.

So if Detroit drafted an OL -- it wouldn't be done to have them as a backup -- it isn't like the year we draft Reiff and we had multi-year starters in place -- Our RT and LT were both 1st year starters. I was reading somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it -- the OL, who went 1,2 and 4 last year would all be picked lower than the top 3 OL in this year's draft. Obviously that is just someone's opinion, but if Detroit can add a road grader to the OL, it would only make the offense that much better, as team's would have to respect the run and couldn't leave their safeties 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

I'd actually be happier to see the Lions take someone like Mathews or if by the grace of god, Robinson dropped to 10, than a WR. Robinson would be the perfect fit for the Lions. Put him next to Warford and the Lions could have one of the better run blocking lines in the NFL, when you add in that Reiff's strength is also run blocking.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep saying that fans should stop looking at Watkins as a 3rd WR and consider him an elite prospect who would be tremendous pick up for the future.

It isn't that Watkins is being viewed as a '3rd WR' for the NFL. It is that Detroit already has the elite of the elite at the WR position in Calvin Johnson and signed the #1 WR off the super bowl winning Seahawks.

So while adding Watkins would give the Lions another elite WR -- teams in the NFL don't need 3 elite WR's, as there is only so many footballs to go around. When you have a pair of RBs that put up 2700 yards of offense last year and a pair of WR's that they rank as a top 5 duo in the NFL -- adding another WR is overkill almost. It isn't as if Stafford is going to throw for 6,000 yards.

That is my only issue with the Watkins pick. Where will he be in the pecking order on offense? Bush and Bell are going to carry the ball 350 times between the two of them. Calvin Johnson is going to be the #1 target, no matter what, in the passing game. We paid big money for Golden Tate to be our #2 and re-signed Pettigrew.

Out of curiosity -- If we trade up to draft Watkins -- what kind of numbers do those who want the Lions to get him, do you think he is going to put up next year?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity -- If we trade up to draft Watkins -- what kind of numbers do those who want the Lions to get him, do you think he is going to put up next year?
It isn't just about the crazy numbers Watkins can put up next year. It's about the future IMO. We can't simply wait til CJ's career is on the brink of being over to replace him. We need to find a replacement now so that they can learn from him and grow to the point where they're ready to take over that #1 billing when CJ starts declining. Bc he WILL start declining, especially if he keeps getting beat up the way he is.

And by replacement, I don't mean equalling his skill set and talent. There's obviously no one that can match that right now. But were gonna need that #1 WR again, and Tate, God love him, doesn't quite fit that bill.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

It isn't strictly about the numbers Watkins put up, its about having an offense where your options aren't limited to where teams can do things to take away your best players. Watkins would threaten the entire field, as would CJ, Tate and Bush since they all are good in the open field. When you have those types of players, you can be very creative.

Completion percentages may go up. 1st, 2nd and 3rd down effeciency may rise, yards per catch may increase, td/int ratio, more big plays may happen. The list goes on. Theres tons of things the Lions can improve on offense.

The big picture is adding another elite player for the future.